10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But as I’ve said before they create an issue for people who legitimately cannot get vaccines and the potential to mutate new strains of the virus that might be resistant to the vaccines we have.
    That is still true. And that is still tragic. And that is still the fault of the anti-vaxxers.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This must be why that Gutfeld! "comedy" show on Fox seems to have gone already. Republicans do not get satire or comedy!
    If you've hung around /r/conservative, you'd see that the Babylon Bee is one of the most frequently shared sites. Most seem aware that it's satire, but there's a not-insignificant number of posters that routinely believe it to be actual reporting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    As I've said before, there comes a time when you have to stop saying "pretty please" and start being the adult. She had no problems doing it last year when everyone was pissing and moaning (and plotting); she should have no problem doing it now when it absolutely still matters. She defied Trump last year to impose stronger restrictions, now she's defying Biden in refusing to do so.
    Uhhhh... I would absolutely not say that she "had no problems doing it last year". On the contrary, I'd say that "she didn't foresee the massive problems that she later faced because of the decision she made last year", including an occupation of her capitol building in what sure seems like a dry run of the January 6th insurrection, as well as the almost-realized armed kidnapping plot.

I mean, say what you will about whether or not it's the right decision, but I can absolutely see why she might be reticent to willingly place herself in the same situation by ordering another full lockdown.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, say what you will about whether or not it's the right decision, but I can absolutely see why she might be reticent to willingly place herself in the same situation by ordering another full lockdown.
    Honestly, I think her decision is more of a political one, than a personal safety one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Honestly, I think her decision is more of a political one, than a personal safety one.
    Sure, I didn't really mean to suggest otherwise.

But also: ¿Por qué no los dos?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Republicans do not get satire or comedy!
    I mean...let's pretend for a second it wasn't satire. It was an article in the student paper. When she was nineteen. She graduated in 1997, that article is old enough to drink heavily, which it probably needed to do after being brought up again.

Plus, her record on voting rights, LBGTQ issues, etc. after that article make a far more definitive record.

And of course, if Cornyn is that worried about people who wrote an apparently racist OP ED in college, shouldn't he be, you know, worried about rapists in college? Because he voted to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Uhhhh... I would absolutely not say that she "had no problems doing it last year". On the contrary, I'd say that "she didn't foresee the massive problems that she later faced because of the decision she made last year", including an occupation of her capitol building in what sure seems like a dry run of the January 6th insurrection, as well as the almost-realized armed kidnapping plot.

What I meant by my statement was that she showed little hesitation in enacting those policies, not that she didn't face problems from the ignorant masses afterwards. But I think you knew that.

I also said weeks ago when cases were starting to climb in Michigan that I understood why she might be somewhat reluctant to bring them back--but now, with cases passing 10k again, she can't afford to shrink from her responsibility to ALL of the people of Michigan because there might be violence or other repercussions from a minority of them who are endangering the rest.

If someone voted for Trump they can't be trusted to give an accurate assessment of someone's ability to fill a government job.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is wondering how Trump would be doing with the vaccine roll out... he issued a statement saying the J&J vaccine halt, is due to a conspiracy between Pfizer and Democrats.

That’s what we are missing out on...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    If anyone is wondering how Trump would be doing with the vaccine roll out... he issued a statement saying the J&J vaccine halt, is due to a conspiracy between Pfizer and Democrats.

That’s what we are missing out on...
    They're trying to hurt his reputation as president...while he's not president? I can't even figure out how he works out that this goes back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're trying to hurt his reputation as president...while he's not president? I can't even figure out how he works out that this goes back to him.
    Because the vaccines are all about him. He's the reason they happened, 100%, all by himself, literally nobody else could possibly have done it. Therefore any failure in that process - any failure at all - is an intentional attack on him. When you're a pathological narcissist, it doesn't matter how tortured and illogical the path is; EVERYTHING eventually goes back to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    HUGE NEWS: Thanks to the public-private partnership forged by President @realDonaldTrump, @pfizer announced its Coronavirus Vaccine trial is EFFECTIVE, preventing infection in 90% of its volunteers
    Huh. That's a Pence tweet from Nov 9. That's interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Huh. That's a Pence tweet from Nov 9. That's interesting.
    Pence is such a pesky democrat...

(/s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If you've hung around /r/conservative, you'd see that the Babylon Bee is one of the most frequently shared sites. Most seem aware that it's satire, but there's a not-insignificant number of posters that routinely believe it to be actual reporting.
    I'm sure that's in part because their brand of "satire" is to just repeat things Republicans legitimately believe anyway... When the people you're making content for (and/or the people creating said content) are already divorced from reality, it's probably difficult to make things sound more ridiculous than you already sincerely believe that they are.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-04-14 at 11:06 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Pence is such a pesky democrat...

(/s)
    Well, he was on the insurrection hit list.

10+ Year Old Account
    FOX News asked Cheney directly if she'd support Trump in 2024.

And so many people are looking to run against Crazy Liz Cheney—but we only want one. She is so far down in Wyoming polls that the only way she can win is numerous candidates running against her and splitting the vote. Hopefully, that won’t happen. I’ll make an Endorsement soon!
    Whoops, no. That's Trump basically turning on the GOP incumbent, because of she's not a loyalist till death like his fellow rapists and pedophiles Gaetz and Kavanugh.

Intersting note, Trump appears to be releasing statements in the same format as his tweets.

"Which polls is Trump talking about?"

Well uh...

(checks news)

I can't find anything. I mean, she won her re-election with 68% of the vote, and hadn't exactly been Trump's friend for some time before that. I don't see any poll from a trustworthy source since.

"What about this one?"

Trump hired that guy, he didn't reveal the poll questions, and the margin of error is a staggering 4.4%. All of these scream "not really science" as loud as an all-caps tweet.

Anyhow, here's the quote I was looking for:

I would not

Incidentally, normally I would say "yes, but XXX supported Trump the rest of the time!" but, this is Cheney, I don't think that's true here. Could she have been more blatant with her opposition? Yeah, maybe, but it was clear enough where she stood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump is doing straw polls at Mar A Lago.
    Is that like this poll done a few years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump is doing straw polls at Mar A Lago.
    I assume this means he's asking his cronies as he snorts adderall through a straw?

Wednesday's report:

78,876 new cases, about 3k more than last Wednesday.

Top 5:

Michigan: 9,349 new cases; 37 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    New York: 6,417 new cases; 83 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 6,374 new cases; 53 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,563 new cases; 61 deaths

Illinois crept up to the 6th spot and Texas is 7th; we'll likely see both of them going higher up the list in the weeks to come. Michigan remains on the top spot for obvious reasons and New York posted another (relatively) low total compared to last week. Florida's being Florida. Expect to see more problems in the states surrounding Michigan as time goes on.

921 deaths is about the same as last week and brings the total to 578,098. The 7-day average continues to fall, but it's not falling by much lately.

Related news:

COVID-19 Deniers Event Leaves Host Dead, 12 Infected--This isn't US-related, but it could very easily be. How many superspreader events did the GOP hold over the past year or so that resulted in much the same? Let's ask Herman Cain's Twitter...oh.

Why the U.S. should "be very worried" about Brazil's COVID disaster--Brazil is getting hammered by a variant of the virus and the way Michigan is going right now should be lighting a fire under people's asses to get shit done to up the fight. Biden's plan has been decent so far, but execution on a local level has been pretty lackluster in a lot of places.

Stay safe, folks.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-04-15 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Top 5:

Michigan:
    I'm not asking you to replace "Fuck Florida" because that stopped being funny around oh wait it's still funny.

But what's the term here? Y'all know my feelings about the split between Whitmer and her maskphobic contrarian nonvoters demanding her removal while begging to get sick and die, making "failed their Constitution saves" the best pun ever ever shut up yes it is. So what variant of "Fuck Florida" applies here?

Anyhow, Ivanka and her creepy perv father are now both vaccinated so make sure any of you with Trump supporter mask deniers still in your friends list, make sure you post that where they can see it. My relatives in Alabama have gone quiet and it's as welcome as it is hilarious.