Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should've made it a Netflix series, just like they should've capitalized on Heroes of the Storm and Dota lmao. Seeing a trend yet?? It's called missed opportunities and to have that much networth and still miss them is just mind boggling.

There must be serious internal problems over there that people just aren't aware of yet.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TbouncerT View Post
    yeah man. I wish the just used CGI for the humans too. They were too small in comparison to the human in Warcraft. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like they should of been bigger, like Conan sized, haha.
    The difference in size between the Orcs and Humans made any combat between the two completely unbelievable. The humans were way too small.

i still like the movie, but wish they would have stuck with the plot of Orcs & Humans RTS game, little orc back story, and the humans losing stormwind vs trying to tell so many stories at once.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Blizzard screwed up when they made that Warcraft movie and completely blew any capital for a sequel. They should have never started with the events/history before warcraft3. The Movie should have been about the events of WC3. They could have always went back and do a prequel after building the success.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibastian View Post
    Blizzard screwed up when they made that Warcraft movie and completely blew any capital for a sequel. They should have never started with the events/history before warcraft3. The Movie should have been about the events of WC3. They could have always went back and do a prequel after building the success.
    Yeah man. The story. That's what puts asses in seats for summer blockbusters.

::smirks in Michael Bay::

Quote Originally Posted by Sibastian View Post
    Even just starting with like a low cgi budget stv jungle themed movie to open up people to the lore. I want a ZG movie about meeting nessingwary out the gates etc. Every zone could essentially become its own movie completely detached from the deeper in game story.

The producers went LoTR or go home right out the gate without even making the franchise anything special to a non consumer of wc universe.

Duncan needed more time to tell a satisfying story, and show the Warcraft universe. One movie just isn't enough time.

I had seen the Grom scene before.

The rest was new to me, but only served to remind me how awful this was. The guy playing Llane looks like Peter Dinklage if he wasn't a little person. Ben Foster as Medivh screams of the biggest budget miscast ever for such an iconic character with a chump like Foster in the role. The CGI is as good as the in-game cinematics which means it looks like humans are interacting with video game characters.

And who can forget how bad the story and dialogue is? Glad to see they didn't delete anything good.

"Oh look, a GRYPHON, and it's TAMED!" Bitch, you come from Dalaran and seeing a tamed gryphon impresses you!? It's like Khadgar is supposed to serve as an audience member to tell us how to react.

The dwarves look especially awful. Why am I beating this dead horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I had seen the Grom scene before.

The rest was new to me, but only served to remind me how awful this was. The guy playing Llane looks like Peter Dinklage if he wasn't a little person. Ben Foster as Medivh screams of the biggest budget miscast ever for such an iconic character with a chump like Foster in the role. The CGI is as good as the in-game cinematics which means it looks like humans are interacting with video game characters.

And who can forget how bad the story and dialogue is? Glad to see they didn't delete anything good.

"Oh look, a GRYPHON, and it's TAMED!" Bitch, you come from Dalaran and seeing a tamed gryphon impresses you!? It's like Khadgar is supposed to serve as an audience member to tell us how to react.

The dwarves look especially awful. Why am I beating this dead horse?
    Ben Foster is a good actor. I've loved his acting and roles he has played in a few movies. But the casting for the role was bad. Actually you could say that for almost every role in the movie besides Lothar. If it was not for Fimmel, Warcraft would not even be worth watching. I think most of the actors did their best with what they were given to work with. They just had a ton of problems in terms of writing, pacing, directing, etc. It at times felt a cross over between a live action and heavy CGI movie. They should have gone with how Lord of the Rings did their Orcs and battles.

3+ Year Old Account
    I think the 'Fel power' scene shouldn't been kept tbh. Also I love they way they suddenly start laughing 'Hey, you're turning green!' lol
    Also is it just me,, or does Garona look like she's alternating between brown and green skin? I know it's not finished but still.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Honestly these sketch some much needed context in the movie, and seem like even they wouldn't have been enough but still a great deal better.
    Practically screams with the same vibes as the "Snyderverse" debacle; a story told poorly for lack of willingness and/or capacity to properly tell it in full (whether self imposed or by external actors /factors).

Not that it would save some of the godawful acting/scenes, but those do not ruin a movie on their own.
    Last edited by loras; 2021-04-15 at 04:02 AM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I know the movie wasn’t the best but I still loved it all the same even going back to it now I still enjoy it would love another long as they take their time with the story, maybe a Netflix show could work..

Removing the Garona/Lothar scene was probably one of the few good calls..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

they needed to simply do the whole thing CGI like their cinematics (which are breathtaking).
    it would have cost 200-300 million, but it would have been done right and had a better turn out at the box office.
    the needed to create the buzz with the first movie and bank off the last two movies, which a trilogy it was supposed to be.

the orcs and all their scenes were amazing imo. the humans and all their scenes were shite imo.

also, more dwarves, tauren, elves, gnomes, trolls, ogres and the rest of the World of Warcraft. the humans have always been the most boring part of WoW, why focus on mainly on them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    Duncan needed more time to tell a satisfying story, and show the Warcraft universe. One movie just isn't enough time.
    a series is the only answer imo. but the price tag would be outlandish.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    The theatrical cut reduced Grom Hellscream into a random, no name uber henchman with no lines that the camera constantly pans to.

The problem with this movie is how confused it was. Like they didn't know if they wanted to pander to people who have no idea what WoW is, pander to lore junkies, pander to the gamers, pander to Rated E for Everyone? Like they just didn't know wtf direction to go.

And everyone who calls the movie bad, I never have any idea wtf they're specifically talking about, they all always just say "wow, bad" and never explain anything, so I literally have never heard an actual logical, objective negative analysis of the movie. What POV does the person making the analysis take, anyway? Do you take the POV of a movie critic, a game lore critic??

I'll take a crack at it then, as someone that dislikes the film.

In my opinion, any adaptation needs to change things, so things being different from established cannon doesn't bother me much unless it's really bad, instead there are other things that drag this movie down, as a stand alone movie, for me.

Lets start off with what I actually liked, the CGI on the orcs is amazing, they look like they were filmed on set, not CGIed in, maybe the best CGI I have ever seen, at least for me personally, some locations are also well set up, and if you played wow you'll know where that specific location is. Doesn't take away anything from people that didn't play, just something nice for people that did.

That's sadly where the good parts ended for me.

1 Major thing that lets the story down, it's all over the place, way way too many and much story for a 2 hour movie, going through the dark portal, conquering the southern parts of EK, appointing guardians, Medive summoning some golem in his tower and being Evil, councils, final confrontations, internal struggles between the orc clans. None of it gets any time to breathe, and least of all I like how the conquering of southern EK is shown as fires on a map.
    I'd much rather they focused on the Orcs going through the dark portal and conquering their way towards Stormwind, giving it more time like 3 hours instead, leave Medive and that stuff out.

2. The Humans, they look out of place next to the giant orcs, their armor looks flimsy, they look small and weak, perhaps the orcs could be made somewhat smaller to help with the problem. But it's more than that, the actors don't fit too well, King Llane looks like he is 2 seconds from a stroke throughout the movie, Lothar looks homeless, Khadgar is played just in that annoying range before being funny enough to be a sidekick to be ignored but too funny to be taken completely serious.

3. The sets, specifically anything related to Stormwind, it looks empty, small, like a movie set. If you compare it to lord of the rings you never get that sense of scale, or the feeling that people live there, it feels like Stormwind consists of a few rooms and a square. The king is also out and about in a way that further makes it feel very small scale, how often do you run into the president just randomly visiting a pub outside some major city?

4. The elves and Draenei, my god, any praise I had for the Orc CGI, this is it in reverse, the elves look TERRRIBLE; as a straight woman, I 100% find Durotan better looking than any elf in the movie. I realize they are in here for the elf Fans, but if you want to leave them in, work out a model that doesn't look like shit. Another thing that doesn't look good, at all, is the eye glow effect, it's TERRIBLE and uncanny, it needs the Sonic treatment, redo it until you come up with something that looks better. The Dwarves also look strange, but I'm not as negative about what they changed on dwarves.The magic could also use a little something, while not terrible it doesn't look super amazing either.

So in summary, I like that they went for a huge movie LOTR style, the Orcs look amazing, but it's let down by the story and some very bad looking humans and human locations. The story needs way more time to breath, I think we go through more conflicts in WoW than in all of LotR, while focusing on both sides, in a 2 hour movie. While LotR is over 10 hours and focusing 98% on one side.

Comparing the two, in LotR you have some random skirmishes, some won, some fled from, some lost, then you have the major battles like the battle for Helms deep and the battle for Minas Tirith, wow needed something comparable to keep the story going.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    The problem with this movie is how confused it was.
    The problem was simply that the general audience does not give a flying toss about green/brown CGI monsters and their emotional struggle to decide between genocide and being a misunderstood tribal culture, which is pretty much exemplified by a total of 5 characters out of the whole invasion force. So not much of a believable struggle there to begin with. For most it just looked like an utterly stupid attempt to ape LotR in all the wrong ways (that is generally reflected in the critics) and for the hand full of warcraft fans it mostly didn't catch the "great splendor" of the warcraft story. But even if they had aimed it at the later crowd, they would never warrant the production costs.

As others have said, this should have been an animated series, that would have made the production costs way more reasonable and would have allowed to aim it at the target audience that might care about it. Also warcraft still has a social stigma and not in the cool nerd kind of way. So I wouldn't be surprised if even fans didn't go out of their way to see the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    The Humans, they look out of place next to the giant orcs, their armor looks flimsy, they look small and weak, perhaps the orcs could be made somewhat smaller to help with the problem.
    To be honest most of the orcs look more like mok'nathal than orcs, at least if we go by ingame representation. Ingame humans already are comically disproportionate, but without that and the orcs looking like half-ogres it's hardly surprising that humans look just completely out of place.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-15 at 04:31 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

IF boomstick scene makes the whole movie for me.

They should make a series. They could easily make a 10 season series with all the book lore etc.
    They have most of the devs for the cgi.. And for a series you don't need triple a actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    IF boomstick scene makes the whole movie for me.
    The thing with the boomstick and campfire scene is, I already knew them (I don't have the blu-ray). I recently watched it on tv and I'm pretty sure those scenes were in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The thing with the boomstick and campfire scene is, I already knew them (I don't have the blu-ray). I recently watched it on tv and I'm pretty sure those scenes were in there.
    I had definitely seen the boom stick scene on tv or on some streaming thing when i watched this a second time.