Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    The difference in size between the Orcs and Humans made any combat between the two completely unbelievable. The humans were way too small.
    Yup. And the orcs were nearly the size of an ogre. I know Duncan wanted the orcs to be formidable but that is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    I know the movie wasn’t the best but I still loved it all the same even going back to it now I still enjoy it would love another long as they take their time with the story, maybe a Netflix show could work..
    The movie makes me sad at what it could have been but it's not as terrible as some WoW players make it out to be. The Netflix show idea is a great one, especially considering there would be a large base of people that would watch it even if it is mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    I know the movie wasn’t the best but I still loved it all the same even going back to it now I still enjoy it would love another long as they take their time with the story, maybe a Netflix show could work..
    Same thing here. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, despite all its flaws. It was great just to see "our world" up on the big screen.

It certainly should've spanned three movies, though. There was too much going on and the pacing was very weird. If only Legendary had enough faith in Duncan Jones. I truly believe he could've pulled off something amazing if he was given the right resources, time, and money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    The movie makes me sad at what it could have been but it's not as terrible as some WoW players make it out to be. The Netflix show idea is a great one, especially considering there would be a large base of people that would watch it even if it is mediocre.
    It really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It was still a lot of fun to watch. I especially enjoyed the Mak'gora between Gul'dan and Duratan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Also is it just me,, or does Garona look like she's alternating between brown and green skin? I know it's not finished but still.
    Yeah, a lot of these scenes don't have finished CGI. Her green skin tone was all done in post production, not a makeup job.

5min after leaving cinema: well it wasn't that bad as i expected.
    1 year after: well it was bad.
    Now: holy shit... it was awful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    Comparing the two, in LotR you have some random skirmishes, some won, some fled from, some lost, then you have the major battles like the battle for Helms deep and the battle for Minas Tirith, wow needed something comparable to keep the story going.
    I don't disagree with your criticisms, but none of them ruined the movie for me. Like I don't add them all up and go, "wow, that movie sucked because the set felt small and um the humans had to rely on Dwarven hand cannons because they were smaller and uhh the elves lookeded stoopit" That sounds like someone saying a B movie is bad because it doesn't have the production quality of a 10 billion dollar block buster.

You basically cannot win against someone comparing everything to Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The problem was simply that the general audience does not give a flying toss about green/brown CGI monsters and their emotional struggle to decide between genocide and being a misunderstood tribal culture, which is pretty much exemplified by a total of 5 characters out of the whole invasion force. So not much of a believable struggle there to begin with. For most it just looked like an utterly stupid attempt to ape LotR in all the wrong ways (that is generally reflected in the critics) and for the hand full of warcraft fans it mostly didn't catch the "great splendor" of the warcraft story. But even if they had aimed it at the later crowd, they would never warrant the production costs.

As others have said, this should have been an animated series, that would have made the production costs way more reasonable and would have allowed to aim it at the target audience that might care about it. Also warcraft still has a social stigma and not in the cool nerd kind of way. So I wouldn't be surprised if even fans didn't go out of their way to see the movie.
    I feel like you could say this about literally any movie. "The audience doesn't give a flying toss about stealing cars, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Megalodons, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Infinity Stones, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Darkseid or Steppenwolf, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Mechagodzilla"

LoTR had a story about trying to stop evil from manifesting, I guess every single movie after that that also had a similar story is just ripping off LoTR. I mean the IQ levels are so super high in here that you can't even argue against anything because everything is a logical fallacy or a general comparison to something you can't even compare (strawman). Nice!!!!

They should of just deleted the movie

forgot how hideous this movie is

Jesus that movie is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I feel like you could say this about literally any movie. "The audience doesn't give a flying toss about stealing cars, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Megalodons, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Infinity Stones, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Darkseid or Steppenwolf, The audience doesn't give a flying toss about Mechagodzilla"

LoTR had a story about trying to stop evil from manifesting, I guess every single movie after that that also had a similar story is just ripping off LoTR. I mean the IQ levels are so super high in here that you can't even argue against anything because everything is a logical fallacy or a general comparison to something you can't even compare (strawman). Nice!!!!
    The movie wanted us to care as much about the orcs (the few good ones around durotan) as they wanted us to care about the humans, "both factions" are the protagonists. That obviously failed. Your examples are just a collection bad guys and genres. Do you seriously not see the difference?
    - I mean are you seriously claiming that no one cares about gangsters and thug-life? That shit spawned one of the most popular music genres. It's the dark side of the american dream, freedom, family and all that. You can even trace this back to historical literature.
    - Godzilla is a cult classic and attempts that didn't target that audience are regarded as bad, see the '98 one.
    - Jaws is a staple of 70s/80s american cinema, a drama about man vs nature. I also fail to see how that is relevant today?
    - The DC movie with these shit tier villains failed, I'm not even sure what you try to argue here? Most people only come for the guy in black spandex anyway and the DCU is generally regarded as fairly bad across the board, with only a few exceptions.
    - Edit: Forgot to mention: People care about their favorite comic book heroes, some awsome fights, not about the plot device that was a couple of stones. That is what the harcore fans fawn over, the general audience just wanted to see a cool fight where the good guys duke it out with the bad ones.

You essentially just threw up some random movies here to make a non-argument.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-15 at 09:03 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

They should go for a series on the War of the Ancients.

Great story, great characters, and that storyline has been lightly covered in the games so there will be no pressure on the show runners to reach previous storytelling standards.

15+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I think a lot of the issues boil down to the human side of the story.

They got a bunch of really talented character actors for the orcs and put them through "orc boot camp" which seemed to really get them into their roles and build camaraderie. The human actors were mostly from TV and schlock stuff and maybe with a couple exceptions their performances felt phoned in, especially Lothar.

It was also trying to cram a lot of story into a relatively short runtime, though I think it did a generally decent job adapting the plot of the game. Biggest issues for me were Lothar's romance with Garona and the climax in Medivh's tower. They should have stuck closer to the game lore with Garona, I think. It's a more tragic and interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I don't disagree with your criticisms, but none of them ruined the movie for me.
    That's fine. You can have an objectively bad movie that is still enjoyable on some level. I can totally see why some Warcraft fans liked this movie because it did go out of its way to include a lot of fan service and the visuals were usually pretty good to boot. However, in terms of writing, acting, story structure, and pacing the movie was a disaster.

It's crazy how many lines are simply exposition, yet at the same time so much of the movie makes no sense for an audience that isn't already familiar with the game lore. We flash across over a dozen locations throughout the movie with no sense of scale whatsoever (again, something that works against an audience unfamiliar with these locations). Actors who have done solid work in the past like Ben Foster, Travis Fimmel, and Dominic Cooper just seem so bored in every single one of their scenes, delivering shitty lines with such lack of emotion that it almost sounds like they're reading them off cue cards being held off screen. Characters are constantly doing things that make no sense, or simply contradict actions from earlier in the movie. There are four main characters and none of them are particularly endearing or charismatic. Durotan is probably the most emotive of them, but pretty much spends the entire movie thinking "hmm, things seem a little off" but just goes along with everything until he finally decides to get into a fist fight with Gul'Dan and is easily beaten and killed.

I think the biggest fault of the movie is that it tried to cram in so much lore and so many different story beats that it ended up as a muddled mess. Instead it should have focus on a single story and smaller group of characters that could work as a cohesive, standalone movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked the movie, mostly due to it being Warcraft but even so it's incredibly flawed and could be so much better with a few simple changes.

It's the little things that bug me the most, things that shouldn't even have been changed just for the sake of the movie.

Movie was ok-ish but they really fucked up with some actor choices and every single thing they changed from the last guardian book has been in an atrocious and cringe way ... some orcs siding with humans, garona being the good guy and for some reason pushing Khandgar as a wanna be next guardian were the worst things one could think of.
    There is though 1 thing they nailed ... Gul'dan
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-04-15 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Movie was ok-ish but they really fucked up with some actor choices and every single thing they changed from the last guardian book has been in an atrocious and cringe way ... some orcs siding with humans, garona being the good guy and for some reason pushing Khandgar as a wanna be next guardian were the worst things one could think of.
    There is though 1 thing they nailed ... Gul'dan
    Picking a shxt director and shxt writers is what they did wrong.

Duncan directed this film so, so badly. And the writers, well....

The biggest mistake was the lack of Pandas.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    never figured out why they made the orcs so big in the movie when in game they're not much bigger than humans.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I've seen the Grom scene before, all the new ones were... pretty terrible. Kind of a dick move to leave out the Metzen gag where he plays a merchant. The entire romance between Lothar and Garona is on a whole new level of cringe.

After hearing what the sequels were going to be I don't think we're losing out on much. They should have just done an Arthas centered movie, preferably as a show with at least 10 episodes lasting up to an hour per season. There is so much they can do with the source material and only with a show you can cover most of it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it, it was average but enjoyable. Though it would've been far better if all the deleted scenes had been in it. So many of them added much needed character building.

Fuck execs that constantly gouge movies.