Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree with what you said above.

I would like offer one modest point, and humbly request that everyone doesn't kick my proverbial ass immediately (be gentle!).

One of the issues with Floyd saying "I can't breath" goes back to a fundamental problem with law enforcement and incarceration in the United States. A lot of law enforcement encounters suspects they are attempting to detain who lie to them. "I can't breath" and "I have to pee" and countless other excuses. So any experienced officer hearing that will more than likely initially doubt the statement's truth.

I'm NOT saying this is any excuse for the situation with Floyd - I want to be 100% clear on that.

What I want to point out is that our law enforcement and incarceration in the U.S. is so adversarial and punitive that it creates situations like this - where literally a cop won't believe a suspect when they say they can't breath. A number of factors play into this, institutionally speaking:
    Racism
    Prisons being so awful in the U.S.
    Incarceration being the first punishment for most crimes in the U.S. (partially due to their profit based nature)
    Law Enforcement Officers highly inadequate training.

And the entire problem is so institutionalized in the United States, that it's almost impossible to break free of the vicious cycle .
    I think aside from training, lack of accountability and the blue wall, a lot of cops do not reside in the community they patrol. It's much easier to dehumanize everyone in a community when you are just visiting. The police officers are basically an invading force this may as well be deployment to Afghanistan. They might be less likely to kill and brutalize people if they had to live with them and send their children to schools where they patrol.

Aside from that it would greatly help the neighborhoods economically too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Also, I don't see it posted here, but a 13 year old was just killed in Chicago by police, where they claimed he had a gun.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...r-old/2487175/

A fucking 13 year old. With his hands up, shot mere seconds, with nothing in his hands. Now, they claim there was a gun that was found behind the fence where he was standing, but that STILL doesn't give the cops the right to summarily execute another black kid, with nothing in his fucking hand.
    I'm seeing that now in the news. Un-fucking-believable. At this point cops should all be disarmed. Put their firearms in their vehicles, under lock and key.

13-fucking-years old. What the fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think aside from training, lack of accountability and the blue wall, a lot of cops do not reside in the community they patrol. It's much easier to dehumanize everyone in a community when you are just visiting. The police officers are basically an invading force this may as well be deployment to Afghanistan. They might be less likely to kill and brutalize people if they had to live with them and send their children to schools where they patrol.

Aside from that it would greatly help the neighborhoods economically too.
    Another great point - police your own community/area, don't get trucked in.

And the history of policing is inherently racist - originally formed in the United States (at least in the south) to bring in freed slaves for violating laws that were designed to be almost immediately violated. So they could be imprisoned and then turned around to work in the fields they were just liberated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I don't see it posted here, but a 13 year old was just killed in Chicago by police, where they claimed he had a gun.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...r-old/2487175/

A fucking 13 year old. With his hands up, shot mere seconds, with nothing in his hands. Now, they claim there was a gun that was found behind the fence where he was standing, but that STILL doesn't give the cops the right to summarily execute another black kid, with nothing in his fucking hand.
    There's pictures from every angle. That kid was killed unarmed in another case of kill first, make some bullshit up later.

The only other thing the kid could have done in that situation was...put his hands up with the gun in his hand

What is a person supposed to do if they can't surrender unarmed? Shoot back?

There needs to be federal intervention to fix the problem of gung-ho PDs. Not going to happen.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    There's pictures from every angle. That kid was killed unarmed in another case of kill first, make some bullshit up later.

The only other thing the kid could have done in that situation was...put his hands up with the gun in his hand

There needs to be federal intervention to fix the problem of gung-ho PDs. Not going to happen.
    While the cop tried to do the right thing, AFTER he shot him, by rendering aid, the kid shouldn't have been shot in the first place. He might have had an argument if there was a gun in his hand pointed at the cop, but he didn't. This is almost like Tamir Rice, but Rice had a fucking BB gun in his hand, and the cops didn't give enough time to actually react to the cops.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

They are showing the entire video, and I'm not sure at this point why the officer isn't already in custody. That's one of the most blatant murder-first-excuse-later situations I've ever seen, and the video makes it almost entirely clear.

What is the department saying at this point?

Agreed re Federal Investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They are showing the entire video, and I'm not sure at this point why the officer isn't already in custody. That's one of the most blatant murder-first-excuse-later situations I've ever seen, and the video makes it almost entirely clear.

What is the department saying at this point?

Agreed re Federal Investigation.
    So, the police officer that killed the 13 year old, his statement goes CLEARLY against his body worn camera.

From this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/7217787002/
    According to police, officers were dispatched to the Little Village neighborhood in the early hours of March 29 when the department's ShotSpotter technology detected eight gunshots. When police arrived, Adam and 21-year-old Ruben Roman fled, authorities said.

An officer shot Adam once in the chest after an "armed confrontation" in an alley, police said. Adam died at the scene.

Lightfoot and other city officials have offered various narratives around whether Adam had a gun or not. Earlier this month, Lightfoot suggested Adam was holding a gun, saying "an adult put a gun in a child’s hand." And on Saturday, prosecutors alleged Adam was holding a gun when the officer shot him.

But on Thursday, a Sarah Sinovic, chief spokeswoman for the Cook County State’s Attorney, said "an attorney who works in this office failed to fully inform himself before speaking in court. Errors like that cannot happen and this has been addressed with the individual involved. The video speaks for itself."

Also Thursday,Lightfoot's phrasing changed, and she said Adam was "a child who was in contact with an adult who had a gun." Asked whether Adam shot at an officer, she said: "I've seen no evidence whatsoever that Adam Toledo shot at the police."

The officer has been placed on administrative leave for 30 days.

A case incident report identified the officer who fired the shot as 10th district patrol officer Eric Stillman. Stilman, a 34-year-old white man, has been a Chicago police officer since August 2015, according to the report.

Stillman has no prior complaints filed against him and was a 2016 recipient of the Superintendent's Award of Valor, according to the Invisible Institute, which records police interactions with the public.

SO what do we think is the solution to police?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Consequences for murder, just like any other job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Oh, and enact common sense gun control laws.
    Arm every person and legally obligate them to open-carry. Gotcha.

/s...maybe?

Yeah, as someone who isn’t terrible with a pistol I’d be on fucking edge if everyone was open carrying. No pun intended.
    Shit man, I don't even carry around mace/pepper because I straight up don't trust myself not to like, accidentally mace myself in the dick while fishing around my keys or something.

With Adam Toledo, it looks like a case of Hands up, don't shoot.

There is no way in hell they can try to spin this.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So, the police officer that killed the 13 year old, his statement goes CLEARLY against his body worn camera.

From this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/7217787002/
    According to police, officers were dispatched to the Little Village neighborhood in the early hours of March 29 when the department's ShotSpotter technology detected eight gunshots. When police arrived, Adam and 21-year-old Ruben Roman fled, authorities said.

An officer shot Adam once in the chest after an "armed confrontation" in an alley, police said. Adam died at the scene.

Lightfoot and other city officials have offered various narratives around whether Adam had a gun or not. Earlier this month, Lightfoot suggested Adam was holding a gun, saying "an adult put a gun in a child’s hand." And on Saturday, prosecutors alleged Adam was holding a gun when the officer shot him.

But on Thursday, a Sarah Sinovic, chief spokeswoman for the Cook County State’s Attorney, said "an attorney who works in this office failed to fully inform himself before speaking in court. Errors like that cannot happen and this has been addressed with the individual involved. The video speaks for itself."

Also Thursday,Lightfoot's phrasing changed, and she said Adam was "a child who was in contact with an adult who had a gun." Asked whether Adam shot at an officer, she said: "I've seen no evidence whatsoever that Adam Toledo shot at the police."

The officer has been placed on administrative leave for 30 days.

A case incident report identified the officer who fired the shot as 10th district patrol officer Eric Stillman. Stilman, a 34-year-old white man, has been a Chicago police officer since August 2015, according to the report.

Stillman has no prior complaints filed against him and was a 2016 recipient of the Superintendent's Award of Valor, according to the Invisible Institute, which records police interactions with the public.
    Thank you for that answer/post.

Fuck this bullshit police department. The bolded piece by me is about all we need - especially considering that statement is coming from legal. How is this fucking murderer still walking around?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, as someone who isn’t terrible with a pistol I’d be on fucking edge if everyone was open carrying. No pun intended.
    Same here. I moved to AK recently and the first time I saw someone open carrying in a store it freaked me out - to the point where I wanted to leave.

The real solution is to disarm everyone, but that's for another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    With Adam Toledo, it looks like a case of Hands up, don't shoot.

There is no way in hell they can try to spin this.
    I still don't understand how "administrative leave" and not "locked up in a dungeon" is ok. The cop murdered a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Consequences for murder, just like any other job.
    Get rid of qualified immunity, would be a great start. The fact that cops can just go around murdering people, and get off with paid leave, or a slap on the wrist is bullshit. Should be Equal Protection Under the Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Get rid of qualified immunity, make police officers complaints and actions a matter of public record, better training, use of mental health professionals and other task forces more appropriate for certain situations, force them to live in the communities they patrol. The police should only be focused on things they need to be doing instead of being involved in domestic disputes, mental health calls etc. Maybe if we stop using the police for everything they can actually get good at their jobs, they only solve 2% of major crimes FFS.

If someone only did the main objective of their job 2% of the time they would be fired.

"Oh, he had a toy gun we thought was real" is a good one. Because apparently some members of the Baltimore PD carried around toy guns in their cars specifically to plant them on people they had accidentally shot:
    https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/...-reveals-vgtrn

Made the mistake of looking at r/ProtectAndServe. Literally a bunch of cops circle jerking saying how Chauvin was completely justified, and the kid who was just shot in Chicago deserved to die.

That whole subreddit is a shining example of what's wrong with law enforcement in this country. It's so frustrating how people can defend stuff like this.

"Just comply and you won't get shot"

Kid literally does what the officer says. Stops, drops the gun, puts hands up.

"SHOULA COMPLIED BETTER!"

I'm even seeing stuff like that on the horrifying Daniel Shaver video. I'm now at the point where I have zero trust for police officers in this country and the people who defend them.
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2021-04-16 at 03:32 AM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

So, the President of the Chicago Police Union, better start fucking updating his resume, because he was stupid enough to go on fucking Cuomo Prime Time on CNN, and this son of a bitch, actually called the shooting of the unarmed 13 year old fucking "100% justified" and "that the officer's actions were actually heroic".

This motherfucker is about to be bounced out of that job faster than the cop took to actually tell the kid to put his empty hands up. I hope Lightfoot fires his fucking ass.

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/presi...tually-heroic/

This isn't the first time he has had a ton of calls for him to resign, this dumbass literally had people calling for him to resign 2 months and 3 months ago when I tried to find the video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+catanzara+cnn

Wonder if this bastard has a white hood in his closet next to his Nazi flag.

It's pretty bad when even Pat Robertson can't abide what's going on...
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/pat-ro...top-this-stuff

So, the President of the Chicago Police Union, better start fucking updating his resume, because he was stupid enough to go on fucking Cuomo Prime Time on CNN, and this son of a bitch, actually called the shooting of the unarmed 13 year old fucking "100% justified" and "that the officer's actions were actually heroic".

This motherfucker is about to be bounced out of that job faster than the cop took to actually tell the kid to put his empty hands up. I hope Lightfoot fires his fucking ass.

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/presi...tually-heroic/

This isn't the first time he has had a ton of calls for him to resign, this dumbass literally had people calling for him to resign 2 months and 3 months ago when I tried to find the video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+catanzara+cnn

Wonder if this bastard has a white hood in his closet next to his Nazi flag.
    Yup shooting someone running away posing no threat, clearly 100% justified.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Get rid of qualified immunity, make police officers complaints and actions a matter of public record, better training, use of mental health professionals and other task forces more appropriate for certain situations, force them to live in the communities they patrol. The police should only be focused on things they need to be doing instead of being involved in domestic disputes, mental health calls etc. Maybe if we stop using the police for everything they can actually get good at their jobs, they only solve 2% of major crimes FFS.

If someone only did the main objective of their job 2% of the time they would be fired.
    Along with stopping them from purchasing military equipment and outlawing all those private murder seminar/classes all of these murderers have seemed to participate in.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still waiting for all these good guys with guns to start stopping all these crimes all these 2A imbeciles claim. I'm beginning to think they are all a bunch if insecure pussies that just want to murder minorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    It's pretty bad when even Pat Robertson can't abide what's going on...
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/pat-ro...top-this-stuff
    Wow... that not as impressive as it seems:

US police and public officials donated to Kyle Rittenhouse, data breach reveals
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...te-data-breach
    A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.

In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns.
    In secret Facebook groups, America's best warriors share racist jabs, lies about 2020, even QAnon theories
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...-jabs-n1263985
    They're the most elite, lethally trained members of the U.S. military, widely considered the best of the best. And yet in secret Facebook groups exclusively for special operations forces that were accessed by NBC News, they share misinformation about a "stolen" 2020 election, disparaging and racist comments about America's political leadership and even QAnon conspiracy theories.

Among the hundreds of Facebook posts NBC News reviewed from forums for current and former Rangers, Green Berets and other elite warriors: a member of a special forces group lamenting that several aides to former Vice President Mike Pence were part of a "Concerted effort by the thieves and pedophiles walking the hallowed halls of the peoples government" to undermine former President Donald Trump.
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-16 at 01:11 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi