Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Castro Steps Down as Head of Cuba's Communist Party

Raul Castro steps down as head of Cuba's Communist Party. Ending 60 years of the Castro era in Cuba?

Raul Castro said Friday he is resigning as head of Cuba’s Communist Party, ending an era of formal leadership by he and his brother Fidel Castro that began with the 1959 revolution.

The 89-year-old Castro made the announcement Friday in a speech at the opening of the Eighth congress of the ruling party, the only one allowed on the island.

He said he was retiring with the sense of having “fulfilled his mission and confident in the future of the fatherland.”

Castro didn’t say who he would endorse as his successor as first secretary of the Communist Party. But he previously indicated that he favors yielding control to 60-year-old Miguel Diaz-Canel, who succeeded him as president in 2018 and is the standard bearer of a younger generation of loyalists who have been pushing an economic opening without touching Cuba’s one-party system.

Interesting to see how the transition of power plays out.

voy a votar, por Tio Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Raul Castro steps down as head of Cuba's Communist Party. Ending 60 years of the Castro era in Cuba?

Raul Castro said Friday he is resigning as head of Cuba’s Communist Party, ending an era of formal leadership by he and his brother Fidel Castro that began with the 1959 revolution.

The 89-year-old Castro made the announcement Friday in a speech at the opening of the Eighth congress of the ruling party, the only one allowed on the island.

He said he was retiring with the sense of having “fulfilled his mission and confident in the future of the fatherland.”

Castro didn’t say who he would endorse as his successor as first secretary of the Communist Party. But he previously indicated that he favors yielding control to 60-year-old Miguel Diaz-Canel, who succeeded him as president in 2018 and is the standard bearer of a younger generation of loyalists who have been pushing an economic opening without touching Cuba’s one-party system.

Interesting to see how the transition of power plays out.

voy a votar, por Tio Joe
    Probably like the last time. Nothing but a peaceful transition. It is past time for Cuba and the USA to mend relations honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Probably like the last time. Nothing but a peaceful transition. It is past time for Cuba and the USA to mend relations honestly.
    Like last time.... SO you're telling me there's a third even younger brother stashed away for the occasion?

Trudeau should go and claim his birthright.

7+ Year Old Account
    All Castro siblings/offspring are non-governmentle people. The successor is a guy named: Miguel Diaz-Canel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_D%C3%ADaz-Canel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    All Castro siblings/offspring are non-governmentle people. The successor is a guy named: Miguel Diaz-Canel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_D%C3%ADaz-Canel
    Damn, I like the idea of a third secret brother waiting to take over.

I'm writing a script spec for it now. A whacky Marxist country keeps spare leaders in suspended animation for anachronistic hijinx!

It'll be like a mash up of Austin Powers and The Death of Stalin.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Like last time.... SO you're telling me there's a third even younger brother stashed away for the occasion?
    There are a third and a fourth brother, named Dennis and Duane, respectively:

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden ended communism!!!!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    One of the last few Marxist revolutionary heroes, hope he enjoys his last few years.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, "communism" where relatives inherit power like royalty... puke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Ugh, "communism" where relatives inherit power like royalty... puke
    Yeah, thats why the new leader of the communist party will be another Castro.

....Oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You joke but had this happened under the Trump administration, you know that jackass would be saying he ended Cuban communism.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    You joke but had this happened under the Trump administration, you know that jackass would be saying he ended Cuban communism.
    bet you 5 Trump, or one of his brown nosers will still claim it.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Hopefully, this opens Cuba back up like before Castro took over. I understand the Cuban beaches were some of the nicest in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, this opens Cuba back up like before Castro took over. I understand the Cuban beaches were some of the nicest in the world.
    You got some weird priorities if that is the most important part, and you can blame the US for cuba not being that open to the US for vacations.

Before Castro was the US supported Batista,and Castro at his absolute worst was better than Batista,hence why Cuba fucking hates this country,so friendly relations aren't fucking likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's a serious economic incentive for better relations for both parties involved it will happen as economic interests generally dictate what happens, something that is even happening in China.

Now i don't expect everything to change all that much as the Castro's couldn't have remained in power if a good segment of the population wasn't happy.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Not yet.

China, Laos and Vietnam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Not yet.

China, Laos and Vietnam
    You're really bad at this sarcasm thing, eh?

But good news, Cuba is still communist.

More of the same, nothing will change.

Cuba has a well established cadre of party oligarchs who can perpetuate the system itself for eternity.

The Castros haven't directly ruled in decades. Neither brother. They were sort of symbolic figureheads.

Either nothing will change, or Cuba will go the way of Vietnam/China, says communist on the box, but it will be full of good old oligarchical capitalism worse than anything the west can produce.