Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    I've been gaming and mining on mines. What does that make me?
    In first world countries with a normal electricity price you are someone who runs the PC 12hours a day to earn maybe 50€ / month, so grats.

This does not include the shortened lifespan of your GPU by just electromigration. And lets not talk about the GDDR6X high temps for mining even with just 200W GPU ussage, nobody got any idea how the lifespanw of AMPERE looks like at mining, because nobody was stupid enough (yet) to run VRAM that hot over extended time.

Good luck, tell us in 2 years if your current GPU lasted till next gen or not.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    In first world countries with a normal electricity price you are someone who runs the PC 12hours a day to earn maybe 50€ / month, so grats.
    kind of wrong, with crypto you mine an investment not just currency, many cryptos doubled and in some cases quadrupled in the past 3-4 months so that $50 in cryptocurrency 3-4 months ago would be $100-$200 today which isn't that bad all considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    kind of wrong, with crypto you mine an investment not just currency, many cryptos doubled and in some cases quadrupled in the past 3-4 months so that $50 in cryptocurrency 3-4 months ago would be $100-$200 today which isn't that bad all considered.
    but is that theoretical value or actual value? i don't see that many places that let me pay in cryptocurrencies, and when it is offered it's usually just bitcoin. or is it just a grey/black/criminal market thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    but is that theoretical value or actual value? i don't see that many places that let me pay in cryptocurrencies, and when it is offered it's usually just bitcoin. or is it just a grey/black/criminal market thing?
    5here are lots of places that will allow you to exchange crypto for “real” currency. So it’s a 2 step process - cash out X value in crypto, then use the cash to purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly it's simply not viable at home unless you can get discount electricity or have it dirt cheap.

I did my calculations and I'd be in the green, but with what I'd earn - it would not be worth my time even if theoretically it would let's say double or even triple the value in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Mostly it's simply not viable at home unless you can get discount electricity or have it dirt cheap.

I did my calculations and I'd be in the green, but with what I'd earn - it would not be worth my time even if theoretically it would let's say double or even triple the value in future.
    Here in Canada I would make... some money, since electricity is dirt cheap in my province. I got a 3070 so it really wouldn't be much, I earn enough for my needs anyway, and I'm not about to potentially risk the integrity of what might as well be my gold bar of a GPU for like 30 CND/month after expenses.

And the shortage is obviously going to last a while. Components for cars are in short supply, so you can bet graphics cards will not be a priority anytime soon at the silicon fabs. It sucks, but totally understandable considering a GPU is very much a luxury good.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    And the shortage is obviously going to last a while. Components for cars are in short supply, so you can bet graphics cards will not be a priority anytime soon at the silicon fabs. It sucks, but totally understandable considering a GPU is very much a luxury good.
    What TSMC said is that this will last for YEARS - YEARS, but it is not caused by the simply higher demand for GPUs or other parts.

Some major OEMs simply overreacted with COVID and restocked a lot of components that are simply rare all the time. This caused a ripple effect not only in the semiconductors but also at the suppliers for them. The allready delicate supplier chain got distrupted and it will take simply years to recover.

The issue with GPUs is basicly that the luxury good for a small niche - gaming and a bit mining - got into mainstream entertainment with the high demand for PCs with WFH and the general need for more home entertainment with the previous, current and clearly allready planed lockdowns in the future.

Even without any part shortages for the semiconductors, we would have seen a market with more demand, but now we have shortage + higher demand for a good that was never targeted for the current demanded volumes.

The most postive GPU forecast is for Q1 / 2022, at that point we MIGHT see some GPU variants at (LOW) stock and the pre-orders should have catched up by then. Thats the positive forecast, some unwanted / AIB GPUs MIGHT pop up at stock and this might not be the case with TSMC (AMD) products since they dont even see a change for the next 1-2 years.
    -

Anyone see any bench marks on how the Intel i5 11600k / 11500's IGPU handles WOW at 1080p?

I hope its all down to covid and the mining and scalping thing really aint the major reason, but Im afraid it aint the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaShift View Post
    Anyone see any bench marks on how the Intel i5 11600k / 11500's IGPU handles WOW at 1080p?
    Only know of his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1B7ibjJZg

Else...well, its a legit answer buy an M1 mac.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I'm lucky I snagged a 5700 XT a few months before all this bs started.

That will last me until GPU prices stabilize and I can get a RTX 3000 card.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this rate might as well wait for 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    At this rate might as well wait for 4000.
    Yeah, I am on the same boat. If I have to wait another year to get an upgrade, i can just wait for the following one. Granted prices are not stupidly high and there's availability.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yeah, I am on the same boat. If I have to wait another year to get an upgrade, i can just wait for the following one. Granted prices are not stupidly high and there's availability.
    unfortunately i probably don't have that kind of luxury as my gpu will be 5 yrs old in about 4 months. my only other functioning gpu is a gtx 560.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    And i here i was thinking i made the mistake of getting a 5700xt last april when the 30xx cards were announced a few months later..

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    unfortunately i probably don't have that kind of luxury as my gpu will be 5 yrs old in about 4 months. my only other functioning gpu is a gtx 560.
    If it still works, just keep it but yes, you're going great lenghts with it. I wanted a 3080 because it's the sweet spot for 1440p/144hz where it's powerful enough to not bat an eye while not needing to blast fans at 100% and no need to OC stuff. Also i wanted to liquid cool it just because, but it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    Many crypto exchanges offer Visa Debit cards to pay with. If you have crypto, they sell it for you and you can pay with $/€/whatever. Liquefying crypto has a small fee obviously. If you have eurodollars on the account then there's no fee even.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m still debating swapping to water with my 3080FE. I may buy the EK block just to have it for when I eventually pass it down to my nephew. Not fully decided yet though. $300+ after taxes and shipping is a lot for a water block.
    Definitely. I'm fine with my 8700k and plan to use it for a long time so custom looping that is not an issue. GPU on the other hand - if i can get a good deal on new hardware makes sense (i can see it lasting 4 or 5 years) but if i have to get last gen stuff it suddendly makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I hope its all down to covid and the mining and scalping thing really aint the major reason, but Im afraid it aint the case.

Only know of his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1B7ibjJZg

Else...well, its a legit answer buy an M1 mac.
    I started a war on here saying the m1 Mac was a good alternative for WoW a few months ago, if you don't want to buy a marked up gpu.

I started a war on here saying the m1 Mac was a good alternative for WoW a few months ago, if you don't want to buy a marked up gpu.
    yea, Im not even sure if the new 11th gen Intel CPU's has better graphics performance. Well see about AMD's upcoming apu.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Basically the only machine with at least decent integrated GPU, which says a lot. Hell, even a cheap old gpu would be better, but we're talking about 1030s proced at 250 euros here. It's total nonsense and it's gonna last at least another full year.

Also: rumors are 3080ti and 3070ti are about to launch. My question is not if anyone can buy them at MSRP or even find those, but how the hell are they going to launch something if the availability is already down the drain.