Some External Hard Drive Questions

Having recently gone through a computer meltdown I would like to start using an external backup isolated from the main system. My external storage unit will need to record a 500 gb ssd and 5 tb hard drive. Here are are my questions.

1) Since backing up the entire system every time I want to do so seems stupid can I just backup new files and files that have changed ? Seems logical enough on the face of it but you never know.

2) Is it possible/reasonable to have the backup software that comes with the drive shut down the computer once it's finished it's job ?

3) My environment is warmer than normal. about 78 F +/-, so I don't want anything that runs hot and I do not need anything faster than 5400 rpm. Any recommendations on hardware ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    1) Since backing up the entire system every time I want to do so seems stupid can I just backup new files and files that have changed ? Seems logical enough on the face of it but you never know.
    There are a few ways to back up, but most backup software has a 'files only' option that lets you pick folders, or uses default ones (User folders mainly, desktop, documents, music, pictures, etc). "File History" checks for changes every hour and backs up/modified. Things like Acronis use Incremental Backup, which backs up file changes every set (daily, weekly, whatever you set)

2) Is it possible/reasonable to have the backup software that comes with the drive shut down the computer once it's finished it's job ?
    Most of them do have an option for shut down after backup

3) My environment is warmer than normal. about 78 F +/-, so I don't want anything that runs hot and I do not need anything faster than 5400 rpm. Any recommendations on hardware ?
    Most drives these days are fairly robust, but if you're using it specifically for backup, I believe the Western Digital Red is specifically geared for NAS usage, and backup.

That said, probably any WD Black/Blue is fine, simply because Green doesn't offer much savings, and blue/black usually have better warranty.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I have no idea about the quality of the software WD uses, but these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Actually contain WD Reds. They are re-labeled with a white label (because people were shelling these units and reselling the drives, which used to be labeled as Reds), but teardowns have shown they are still the same drives.

Buying the whole enclosure is often cheaper than buying a bare Red of the same capacity. They are almost always on sale. They are a Best Buy exclusive. And its only those full size 3.5” Easystore drives. The other ones (smaller, dont require external power) arent rebadged Reds. Ive shelled four of these for my NAS (4x8GB) and they are great.

Edit: the reason im not sure about the software is because ive never actually used on as-is. Only shelled them.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-04-19 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Ive shelled four of these for my NAS (4x8GB) and they are great.
    On the topic of NAS, OP, it might be worthwhile to get a second 5TB drive that matches what you have now, and put those two drives into a 2-bay NAS, as long as its for storage for things like media and not games, you could have a 5TB mirrored setup as your 'backup' and a 2bay NAS only runs about a hundred bucks. Might be something to consider as well, to have a deplatformed (not on your computer) backup/storage
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I have no idea about the quality of the software WD uses, but these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Actually contain WD Reds. They are re-labeled with a white label (because people were shelling these units and reselling the drives, which used to be labeled as Reds), but teardowns have shown they are still the same drives.

Buying the whole enclosure is often cheaper than buying a bare Red of the same capacity. They are almost always on sale. They are a Best Buy exclusive. And its only those full size 3.5” Easystore drives. The other ones (smaller, dont require external power) arent rebadged Reds. Ive shelled four of these for my NAS (4x8GB) and they are great.

Edit: the reason im not sure about the software is because ive never actually used on as-is. Only shelled them.
    Nice ! I just ordered one. If anyone has anything to add on the accompanying software feel free to chip in.

I can recommend QNAP for a NAS. Im a NAS illiterate, and it was a breeze to set up and get working. You can also easily set it up to be accessible online as a “self cloud”. As Chazus said, their 2-bay enclosures are often in the ~100 range.

You posted while i was typing, so ill add that you could, if your Router supports it, likely attach it to your router as sort of a budget NAS.