Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    free speech and expression is an idea. Its an idea that many people would like corporations and others to believe in.
    Free speech and expression are legal precepts. Nobody rational believes "free speech and expression" are synonymous with "I can say whatever I want and suffer no consequences for it," and invariably, these issues always arise because people are mad that they're suffering consequences. I don't know if this is a new idea to you or whatever, but a company's goal is to keep as many customers happy and paying as possible--or at least content enough to keep paying.

I would wager they've noticed how many people are turning off public chats entirely and that this number has steadily increased as the "free speech" crowd has continued to push the limit on what's 'acceptable' chat. Things like this don't happen in a vacuum, they happen because someone pressed the oh-shit button because a simmering problem boiled over in that way so many other things do, where they're not problems until they suddenly are in a big way. So Blizzard's choice is simple and a no-brainer on their end: alienate the relative handful of people on each server spamming slurs and running everyone else out of public chat channels, or allow the public channels to continue their quickening death spiral which in turn exacerbates their struggle to get people into premade endgame content and social groups?

No one here believes their first amendment right is being violated.
    You'd have me fooled considering how many people are treating this like a personal affront to their rights rather than the logical end result of their actions forcing Blizzard's hand, albeit a decade late as per usual when they actually try to clean up their community's laughable reputation.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Snollygoster, Pillock, Ninnyhammer, and Lickspittle still unaffected by the filter. So, we good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/chat-mo...d-words-321894

Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. If I want spicy language and opted into it I feel like I should be allowed spicy language. Not a game breaking change but one I find mildly disappointing.
    If you wanna be spicy with someone, add them to Battle.net.

I understand the filter when receiving certain whispers in-game that have to instantly be reported for spamming or even worse, death threats.

If you cannot communicate without using a certain word, and I'm almost sure I know what word it is, then I suggest be a bit more creative or use your imagination.

And before people speak about 'free speech', that does not count for privately operated sites or games but public/government forums and locations.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Blocking words that have no real use case other than to cause offence isn't really an issue, If you are legitimately mad that you can't use the word in question against strangers on the internet, your the fucking reason we need the filter. There's a handful of words I can think of that have no purpose but to offend, completely removing the people that use them from the community is certainly a better option than a preventative filter, as it's a slippery slope. It's entirely possible that that Blizzard could become overbearing dictators regarding what language we can use - Obviously bad. If they put a handful of words on the filter there's no issue - it won't affect anyone who isn't a complete scumbag anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Free speech and expression are legal precepts. Nobody rational believes "free speech and expression" are synonymous with "I can say whatever I want and suffer no consequences for it," and invariably, these issues always arise because people are mad that they're suffering consequences. I don't know if this is a new idea to you or whatever, but a company's goal is to keep as many customers happy and paying as possible--or at least content enough to keep paying.

I would wager they've noticed how many people are turning off public chats entirely and that this number has steadily increased as the "free speech" crowd has continued to push the limit on what's 'acceptable' chat. Things like this don't happen in a vacuum, they happen because someone pressed the oh-shit button because a simmering problem boiled over in that way so many other things do, where they're not problems until they suddenly are in a big way. So Blizzard's choice is simple and a no-brainer on their end: alienate the relative handful of people on each server spamming slurs and running everyone else out of public chat channels, or allow the public channels to continue their quickening death spiral which in turn exacerbates their struggle to get people into premade endgame content and social groups?

You'd have me fooled considering how many people are treating this like a personal affront to their rights rather than the logical end result of their actions forcing Blizzard's hand, albeit a decade late as per usual when they actually try to clean up their community's laughable reputation.
    Is that an US issue? Cause personally nobody does that on eu servers. What gets spammed are gold / carries flooding all normal posts away. Thats why people turn chat off - its unusable from spammers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Is that an US issue? Cause personally nobody does that on eu servers. What gets spammed are gold / carries flooding all normal posts away. Thats why people turn chat off - its unusable from spammers.
    Yes, it's actually a very big issue in the NA servers, and (as can be seen from other posts in this thread regarding the multilingual impact of the filter) most of Blizzard's chat filters are built around what happens in the NA servers, which they have the most firsthand experience with.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

As long as such a filter doesn't annoy people talking in other languages using completely normal words that sound similar to those slurs, I don't really care. So such a filter that cannot be deactivated should only have a handful of words at most. And only the exact word and only after they double checked that it's not a normal word in another language.
    Last edited by Wuusah; 2021-04-19 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... "slut på mana" in swedish means out of mana in english... slut gets censored in wow client...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends...cause_he_said/

10+ Year Old Account
    lol... "slut på mana" in swedish means out of mana in english... slut gets censored in wow client...
    Whether something is a swear word or otherwise crude in the language the game client is in takes precedence over whether it’s completely innocent in a different language, for a chat filter. It isn’t reasonable to expect anything else.

To be fair.. There isn't an official "Swedish" version of the game client available. So it makes sense that they block it. Now if you played on a Swedish realm? Yeah sure, that should probably not get blocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    To be fair.. There isn't an official "Swedish" version of the game client available. So it makes sense that they block it. Now if you played on a Swedish realm? Yeah sure, that should probably not get blocked.
    There are German servers and German words still get filtered falsely :P

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Blocking words that have no real use case other than to cause offence isn't really an issue, If you are legitimately mad that you can't use the word in question against strangers on the internet, your the fucking reason we need the filter. There's a handful of words I can think of that have no purpose but to offend, completely removing the people that use them from the community is certainly a better option than a preventative filter, as it's a slippery slope. It's entirely possible that that Blizzard could become overbearing dictators regarding what language we can use - Obviously bad. If they put a handful of words on the filter there's no issue - it won't affect anyone who isn't a complete scumbag anyway.
    The problem is when they ban words on multiple languages that have different meanings in different languages. Someone else said "slut" means "end" in Swedish or something. Good example in Genshin Impact is that "Mihoyo" (the name of the company that made the game) is banned because "Mi Hoyo" means "my hole" in Spanish. Tons of shenanigans can happen and I dont trust blizzard to do this properly.

Slut wouldn't be one of the words I'd filter anyway tbh, There's ofcourse differences across the globe, but slut is a very mild insult here in the UK, there's a similar word that's far worse here, which is kind of funny, because there's mobs in the game literally called it (Slag).

Off the top of my head there's 2 words I can think of on the spot that I'd block, 1 already is, the other has the same meaning/intention and is possibly a localised word also.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Players are actually mad they cant say racist, misogynist, xenophobic words. If you don't like it, quit.
    That's the problem with the gaming community full of racists, homophobes, misogynists and hate because they're anonymous online
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    They're adding text-to-speech in the accessibility options, which could lead to all sorts of embarrassment. That said, they could have censored those phonemes in the TTS processor and still allowed them to be seen on screen, but my guess is once they crossed the rubicon they figured no half measures.

If there was some way to prove your blackness (or that you're muslim, or jewish, or asian, or gay, or whatever) and thus allow you to use those words I guess I'd be OK with that, but since that's impossible it's best to block everybody from saying them.
    Lol saying certain words is only ok if you're a certain skin color or religion? That sounds way more bigoted than the words themselves haha

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    good example of why being afraid of words regardless of context is just flat out bonkers to me.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2021-04-19 at 04:41 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully these dont affect other languages or latin america will have to find another word for the color black
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If there was some way to prove your blackness (or that you're muslim, or jewish, or asian, or gay, or whatever) and thus allow you to use those words I guess I'd be OK with that, but since that's impossible it's best to block everybody from saying them.
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in awhile.

Oh and, "Bong" is censored.

Another win for the Empire of Nothing.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    good example of why being afraid of words regardless of context is just flat out bonkers to me. Being afraid of words while ignoring context is ridiculous.
    i had a black guy almost punch me in the us. i said 니가 when talking to to a friend, he thought i was saying the n-word. fucking crazy people.

you have crazy shit like this too due to people https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/22/btss-...radio-7568200/

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It's a colloquial confimation, it's essentially just a "yup".
    jap 10cccc