The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this is the right place, but there isn't a terrific spot for any upcoming political "retirements".

GOP Rep. Steve Stivers resigns to run Ohio Commerce Chamber. That's about as close to "spend more time with his family" as you can get. He's the Campaign Chair for the House GOP, and was a top contender for the Senate seat in 2022.

Wonder what he plead down to or hopes doesn't come out?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Wonder what he plead down to or hopes doesn't come out?
    Quite possible he sees the shitstorm of the GOP/Trump infighting ahead and wants to "nope" out of that entirely before it starts landing on his desk. Like, ditch the stressful political gig for a much cushier lobbying gig that probably pays way better too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Quite possible he sees the shitstorm of the GOP/Trump infighting ahead and wants to "nope" out of that entirely before it starts landing on his desk. Like, ditch the stressful political gig for a much cushier lobbying gig that probably pays way better too.
    Well that's a fucking reasonable response - what the hell?

Yeah, that makes sense. I sure wouldn't want to deal with any of the coming storm if I could avoid it.

Monday's quick report:

51,650 new cases, 488 deaths, bringing the total to 581,542. Again, both lower than last week.

Stay safe, folks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...-detector-fine

Add another Republican that can't be bothered to listen to the police and apparently doesn't understand metal detectors.

Man, if these folks are just desperate to give up their salaries to pay these fines like...I'm fine with it. Metal detectors aren't much of an impediment, I imagine they all fly when traveling to and from DC back to their districts, so they have experience with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    White Republican lawmakers failing to comply and pushing police officers....but what do those same folks and their constituents say when a cop kills someone?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    what do those same folks and their constituents say when a cop kills someone?
    When a rich white Republican doesn't follow police instructions, he doesn't get shot and killed. The hypocrisy is overwhelming. Imagine if this was the case:

"My fellow Bumblfuckians, I tell you the unarmed African-American should have complied with the police without hesitation! It is the victim's fault for being shot and killed for [insert misdemeanor here]! Now, I shall return to Congress to pass a bill to protect the police that were forced to use lethal--"
    "Sir, you'll have to empty your pockets and let me wand you."
    "I will do no such thing!"
    "Well, okay." *BLAM*

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    When a rich white Republican doesn't follow police instructions, he doesn't get shot and killed. The hypocrisy is overwhelming. Imagine if this was the case:

"My fellow Bumblfuckians, I tell you the unarmed African-American should have complied with the police without hesitation! It is the victim's fault for being shot and killed for [insert misdemeanor here]! Now, I shall return to Congress to pass a bill to protect the police that were forced to use lethal--"
    "Sir, you'll have to empty your pockets and let me wand you."
    "I will do no such thing!"
    "Well, okay." *BLAM*
    And we had an absolutely blatant example of this, in Minnesota - juxtaposing Floyd, who was murdered while handcuffed, and the young man who was recently murdered for having an air freshener in his car - with this:

A 61-year-old Minnesota man was arrested after police say he attacked a retail worker with a piece of lumber before dragging a cop with his truck, then bashing that officer with a hammer.

All that from the white suspect, not shot, not shot at, just arrested and detained. If he'd been black, he'd of been dead, and everyone would have been nodding their heads that it was justified.

Not. A. Single. Shot. Fired.

The only question right now is how we fix this blatant racism found within the police forces of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only question right now is how we fix this blatant racism found within the police forces of the United States.
    Didn't listen to officers, fled the scene, rammed into patrol cars, assaulted and potentially could have killed officers.

Man, he really did do something white.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reuters.com/business/fox...nt-2021-04-20/

Taiwanese contract electronics manufacturer Foxconn Technology Co Ltd (2354.TW) will dramatically scale back its planned investment in an initially planned $10 billion Wisconsin plant, under an agreement announced with the state on Tuesday.

The investment was first announced to great fanfare at the White House in July 2017, when Donald Trump was president.

Wisconsin will reduce its tax credits authorized for the project from $2.85 billion to $80 million as Foxconn reduces its planned investment from $10 billion to $672 million and cuts the number of jobs planned from 13,000 to 1,454, Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers said in a statement.
    Everything Trump touches, dies.

I mean, this was a painfully predictable sequence of events that has played out elsewhere, and you had legions of people predicting this exact sequence of events once more.

It seems the only people who may be surprised are the likes of Scott Walker, Trump, and other Republicans. Glad that given the considerably smaller investment and massive reduction in jobs, that taxpayers are being asked to foot a lot less of the bill.

I eagerly await the next phase of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything Trump touches, dies.
    Just to remind everyone: the con job st--

"FOXCONN job."

Evidence suggests I was right the first time. Anyhow, we've had updates every year and those updates were always "they're doing less than they promised". This was not "Biden became President so they stopped". This was "they never did anything and are only now making it official". Blaming Biden for this is disingenuous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fucking christ. Imagine having this little self-awareness . . .

https://www.rawstory.com/kayleigh-mc...derek-chauvin/
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Yep, she didn't say that to her former boss, throughout her whole time as press secretary. Including commenting on cases before they were in trial and whatnot. Because Trump, incorrectly weighed in on the Kyle Rittenhouse situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Considering its the opposite of what Biden did lmao. Biden literally played it how any politician worth their salt would. He waited at the correct times, he did not try to defend the criminal. He did not try to voice out what his opinion on the possible verdict was, if you notice he careful simply said: "i hope the correct verdict is reached", that literally means nothing. It means something different for anyone that reads it.

Then his speech after the verdict is the opposite of inflammatory, unless you think black people should be killed at will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Considering its the opposite of what Biden did lmao. Biden literally played it how any politician worth their salt would. He waited at the correct times, he did not try to defend the criminal. He did not try to voice out what his opinion on the possible verdict was, if you notice he careful simply said: "i hope the correct verdict is reached", that literally means nothing. It means something different for anyone that reads it.

Then his speech after the verdict is the opposite of inflammatory, unless you think black people should be killed at will.
    It seems like some people think losing a game of Simon Says is a death worthy offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark...ate-run-2021-4

Yo, MAGA Ken and his AR-15 want to run for Senate.

This seems like par for the course for the Republican party, nowadays. Truly, he will understand the problems of the "common man", in his gated private community with his pink polo shirt and slacks, with all the energy of a pudgy, white Steve Erkel thinking he's Tony Montana.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...-wall-ladders/

Unsurprisingly, Trump's multi-billion dollar wall seems pretty useless still.

Specifically, there's a $27M dollar section of it that's apparently routinely being defeated by...$5 ladders. Literally, a bunch of 2x4's and some screws for smaller pieces of wood acting as steps.

I guess it's a lot of firewood for CBP if they ever need to resort to burning fires on a cold night.

Specifically, there's a $27M dollar section of it that's apparently routinely being defeated by...$5 ladders. Literally, a bunch of 2x4's and some screws for smaller pieces of wood acting as steps.
    Man, if only someone could have foreseen this. And not just some schmuck on the street, but someone high up in Trump's administration! Like, at the very top! If someone like that had known this could happen, surely precautions would have been taken, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    there's a $27M dollar section of it that's apparently routinely being defeated by...$5 ladders.
    Dude, if you're going to ...nevermind, someone posted it already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Man, if only someone could have foreseen this.
    Once again, a Trump campaign promise that was either a blatant lie, or one at which he failed. Pick one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Once again, a Trump campaign promise that was either a blatant lie, or one at which he failed. Pick one.
    It didn’t fail... Bannon milked a bunch of money based on a lie, then got pardoned by Trump. The lie was necessary for the grift...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Tuesday's report:

60,317 new cases, about 18k fewer than last Tuesday. Wowsers.

Top 5:

Michigan: 6,601 new cases; 90 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 5,062 new cases; 74 deaths
    Texas: 4,463 new cases; 58 deaths
    New York: 4,049 new cases; 82 deaths

Michigan continues to top the list with their outbreak, but it's beginning to look like they're finally getting it under control. Florida is, appropriately, again in the number two spot. New York's cases continue to fall at a decent rate and Texas is about 1k higher than last week. Huh. Little has changed with regards to which states look to be in the Danger Zone, but overall things have a rosier outlook than they did a week or so ago.

883 deaths is about 50 more than last Tuesday and brings the total to 582,456. I expect this to be fluctuating back and forth to match the slight increase in cases over the past couple weeks but hopefully mortality will be brought lower by the vaccination push. This is probably around the plateau point for deaths for now.

Related news:

Biden to offer tax credits for COVID-19 vaccination paid time off--This should help with those who are reluctant to get the vaccination because of the potential for being too ill to work, giving tax credits to businesses who give employees as much as 80 hours paid leave while they recover from possible side effects.

Michigan was warned about the British COVID-19 variant, but many ignored it--Michigan dropped the ball big-time on this and they paid the price for it. Everyone is responsible, including Whitmer.

Stay safe, folks.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.businessinsider.com/mark...ate-run-2021-4

Yo, MAGA Ken and his AR-15 want to run for Senate.

This seems like par for the course for the Republican party, nowadays. Truly, he will understand the problems of the "common man", in his gated private community with his pink polo shirt and slacks, with all the energy of a pudgy, white Steve Erkel thinking he's Tony Montana.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...-wall-ladders/

Unsurprisingly, Trump's multi-billion dollar wall seems pretty useless still.

I guess it's a lot of firewood for CBP if they ever need to resort to burning fires on a cold night.
    "Oh, you're with border patrol? So cool, what do you do most of the time? Like, do you hunt down illegals or so, do you stop them from getting in? Fighting off cartel drug runners??"

"Collecting ladders."

"Say again?"

"we're collecting ladders, most of the time"
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.