Quote Originally Posted by bjoswald View Post
    When did I say that?
    you called Floyd an unnecessary martyr, do you not know what words mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and? They kill people daily; white, black, Asian, etc. Why divide and polarize the country further with an unnecessary martyr?
    Ah, another "both sides" argument.

Yes, you're right - they do kill people of every color and creed. Unfortunately, they kill far more people of color than they do anyone else, and, unlike other uses of deadly force against whites, it's more often used under what are innocuous circumstances, like a routine traffic stop or someone passing off a counterfeit bill they probably didn't even know was fake. It's not okay for a 13-year-old boy with his hands up to be shot to death. It's not okay for someone to be killed by police in their own apartment. It's not okay to beat a black man in the street. It's not okay to kneel on someone's neck until they die.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It kinda is what Nancy Pelosi has implied. She's thanked George Floyd for his sacrifice....
    I know, it's stomach churning.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am VERY happy with the verdict. I was telling my boyfriend just this weekend after seeing the race, age, marital status, gender, profession, and parental status of the jury and 2 alternates along with answers they gave in the jury questionnaire prior to jury selection there was going to be no way they didn't convict on at least SOMETHING. They did no disappoint me. All three of those charges only required proof that his actions resulted in the death of George Floyd. Not one of them required intent to kill him. Simply that his actions resulted in the death of Floyd. Any person with a brain and eyes could see and understand how his actions led to the death of George Floyd. Witness after witness testified about the actions the asshole did contributed to at a minimum or fully at the best to the death of George Floyd. There were countless experts who stated that though the amount of drugs in his system were a fatal level that it doesn't mean he would have died from the drugs with medical intervention. People have survived with more drugs in their system than Floyd had. The way it happens is you treat the symptoms as the arise (restart the heart, rescue breathing/ventilator, etc etc). The fact the off-duty EMT testified how she repeatedly begged the asshole to allow her to check on him before he went unconscious and several times AFTER he was unresponsive while the asshole still had his knee on Floyd's death attests to how much the asshole didn't care for his life and knew what he was doing could result in Floyd's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Holding cops accountable is a dangerous precedent? Weird.

Who are the "wrong people" being empowered?

Uh...yeah, you do. Though Germany isn't still engaged in the Holocaust, we're not still dropping atomic bombs on Japan, nor agent orange on Vietnam.

Cops in the US, however, are still murdering people of color.
    Thank you for your reply to that jerk. Very well put there!!!

Alliance

Literally that's what American conservatism has devolved to. It's a party of reactionaries, little more.
    Mmm, business have not been putting up plywood out of fear of a conservative reaction.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    you called Floyd an unnecessary martyr, do you not know what words mean?
    He IS an unnecessary martyr. Any one person who’s a victim of a hate crime, propped up as some “hero” to promote violence between one or more races IS unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Mmm, business have not been putting up plywood out of fear of a conservative reaction.
    right? those ones are much more unannounced unless it's the president calling for a riot.

10+ Year Old Account
    He IS an unnecessary martyr. Any one person who’s a victim of a hate crime, propped up as some “hero” to promote violence between one or more races IS unnecessary.
    If you see seeking justice as promoting hatred, that's a you problem and implies that you think cops can do no wrong.

again, I really really doubt you have ever interacted with anyone who doesn't look exactly like your avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Ah, another "both sides" argument.

Yes, you're right - they do kill people of every color and creed. Unfortunately, they kill far more people of color than they do anyone else, and, unlike other uses of deadly force against whites, it's more often used under what are innocuous circumstances, like a routine traffic stop or someone passing off a counterfeit bill they probably didn't even know was fake. It's not okay for a 13-year-old boy with his hands up to be shot to death. It's not okay for someone to be killed by police in their own apartment. It's not okay to beat a black man in the street. It's not okay to kneel on someone's neck until they die.
    Ah yes, “it’s totally wrong, but here’s all the examples of only white-on-black crime”. It IS two-sided. Has and always will be without a societal intervention or something.

Oh, but let’s forget all the innocent people they rob, abduct, rape, murder, and so on?
    Who. Is. They?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, concern about justified anger at a miscarriage of justice once more, given the long history of injustice on this topic in the country.

Alliance

There is the truth of it. George Floyd is used as an excuse, and nothing more.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If you see seeking justice as promoting hatred, that's a you problem and implies that you think cops can do no wrong.
    Of course I don’t. I just think it’s wrong to make an example of the ENTIRE police force across the nation by propping this guy (Chauvin) up as the one guy who lit the fuse. It’s dumb and irresponsible.

There is the truth of it. George Floyd is used as an excuse, and nothing more.
    Man, /r/conservative is leaking onto these boards, I see.

An excuse for what, exactly? Justice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who. Is. They?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, concern about justified anger at a miscarriage of justice once more, given the long history of injustice on this topic in the country.
    “They” being the drug dealers, gangbangers, etc. I thought that was clear by now. I apologize.

Of course I don’t. I just think it’s wrong to make an example of the ENTIRE police force across the nation by propping this guy (Chauvin) up as the one guy who lit the fuse. It’s dumb and irresponsible.
    Who's making what example of the entire national police force? The Chauvin case was about Chauvin, but this is a broader case about police accountability in the face of decades of police abuses, murders, and assaults that have gone unpunished and left victims without justice.

Remember that time Daniel Shaver was executed by a police officer? This is about him, too.

Mmm government have not been putting up fencing all around DC due to fear of liberal reaction. So, great job proving his point.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Nah, they'll have to put him in solitary for his own protection.

He wouldn't last a week in general pop considering what he did.
    Shoot - yeah, you're right. Solitary confinement for 15+ years. A living hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Police forces across the US have this problem. SO it is pretty fair to do so. in my area, we've had 2 national incidents already (Botham Jean, Atatiana Jefferson) and numerous other abuses that just stayed local.

Good cops need to start holding their own accountable instead of forming a blue line. The problem is, they rarely do.

if you ignore how there are Derrick Chauvin's in every police department that exist in this country, sure, you can tell yourself that.