Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you think that the ecology of our planet is in danger?

What do you think about it? I think that situation is not the best

Mod Edit: Don't recreate recent threads.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-05-15 at 11:41 AM.

Are you by any chance related to the guy who made this thread?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-is-in-danger?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think, i am sure...
    - Sea level raising;
    - Global warming;
    - Sea full of microplastics
    - Species extinction (this is actually agueable because extinction is something that always happened, but then i look to Dodos and...).

Quote Originally Posted by daria91 View Post
    --
    Still a lot of countries and people that couldn't give a rat's ass about the waste they produce... and a lot of illegal activities such as logging and such.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-06-28 at 10:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No and yes.

No, the ecology is in constant equilibrium, ecosystems adapt and evolve, species die, species survive, mutations are created. This is the essence of Darwinism and is the only constant in biology.

Climate is topical and in constant flux, nothing can be correctly interpreted and used to theorize the whole.

Yes, as apex predators of this planet, humans can be held accountable and should improve ecosystems, increase negative feedback between species and by definition resistance to crises such as increase in temperature, toxicity of soil, erosion, etc.

The problem is simple. Ecology is a science, but instead of using scientists to tackle the problems or improve upon our planet, we are using politicians with zero know-how or motivation. Even if there is motivation, there is no methodology, or, worse, using the wrong methodology like we've been seeing the last decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-is-in-danger?

This is absolutely the same guy who posted the exact same thread a month ago. Who are these people? Are they even people? Data collecting bots?

Oh I'm sure the ecology of the planet will ultimately survive, but homo sapien sapiens are dependent on things like clean air, clean water, a certain core body temperature, food. Things that are not infinite with the way we squander them and we have no backup planets to retreat to while poisoning our own home.

We have one chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Oh I'm sure the ecology of the planet will ultimately survive, but homo sapien sapiens are dependent on things like clean air, clean water, a certain core body temperature, food. Things that are not infinite with the way we squander them and we have no backup planets to retreat to while poisoning our own home.

We have one chance.
    In the words of George Carlin: "The Earth isn't going anywhere--we are."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    In the words of George Carlin: "The Earth isn't going anywhere--we are."
    I disagree. The Earth will probably be destroyed by the sun after several billion years but my geuss is humanity survives and outlives the Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I disagree. The Earth will probably be destroyed by the sun after several billion years but my geuss is humanity survives and outlives the Earth.
    Dude we ain't even surviving the next century, let alone 4 billion years.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Dude we ain't even surviving the next century, let alone 4 billion years.
    That's just climate fear mongering. Not only will people survive this century but we'll be adding over a billion people to the population over the next hundred years.

Another extinction level event will happen and we wont be prepared and the planet will self correct.

A few years ago I went to a King Diamond concert on Thanksgiving. I was standing in line outside for like 6-ish hours wearing a pair of black booty shorts, a Mgła t-shirt and Vans.

Most of the other people in line were in t-shirts and jeans/shorts too. People walking around town like it was a spring day, getting on and off the subway nearby or walking around the shops in the area.

In Chicago, Illinois. In November. On Thanksgiving.

I bought a jacket 6 years ago and wore it once since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    That's just climate fear mongering. Not only will people survive this century but we'll be adding over a billion people to the population over the next hundred years.
    lmao, you really think you somehow know better than climate scientists on this subject?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    lmao, you really think you somehow know better than climate scientists on this subject?
    Climate scientists aren't claiming we won't survive the next century. They aren't even claiming the population will go down and yet somehow people have it in their mind that humanity is facing extinction. It's rather bizarre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Climate scientists aren't claiming we won't survive the next century. They aren't even claiming the population will go down
    Mainly because most people aren't stupid enough to think that damage to the food supply caused by anthropogenic climate change would result in population growth, so it's kind of a given.

And even if the population doesn't have a net decrease, that is still ignoring the entirely preventable hardship and suffering engendered by your "stay the course" bullshit. It's still a blatantly evil position to hold, sweaty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Climate scientists aren't claiming we won't survive the next century. They aren't even claiming the population will go down and yet somehow people have it in their mind that humanity is facing extinction. It's rather bizarre.
    The difference between human won't survive and what you believe is even bigger, you somehow have it in your head that climate change is not going to have disterarous effects in the next few decades, let alone in 2121.

It will grow? When the biggest population increases the last few decades have been in Africa? You know, the continent that will be hit the hardest.

In the short term, 100-10000 years, yes.
    In the long term, no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    The difference between human won't survive and what you believe is even bigger, you somehow have it in your head that climate change is not going to have disterarous effects in the next few decades, let alone in 2121.
    That's because it's not going to have a disastrous effect, at least not on overall metrics like food production, GDP, the population, etc. If you're betting it'd be much safer to bet that these metrics will increase, not decrease.
    It will grow? When the biggest population increases the last few decades have been in Africa? You know, the continent that will be hit the hardest.
    There's plenty of room and resources for more people in Africa and elsewhere so it doesn't matter where the population is growing.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-21 at 11:31 PM.

I think humanity thinks entirely too much of itself and just how much control they have on this planet. If history has shown us anything it's that with or without us the climate on this planet will change. Whether that change is good for us who knows, but even if we did everything perfectly things will eventually track for the worst.

That said humanity is fairly resilient. We've survived a heck of a lot, although it may have been rather harsh at times. Every day we discover new things, including that humanity is a heck of a lot older than what was originally thought.

Yeah we need to do a better job of taking care of the planet but as much as we worry about climate change all it takes is the right eruption, or the right near earth object to make us wish we had some global warming.