Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Warcraft: Sylvanas Now Available for Pre-Purchase

Warcraft: Sylvanas Now Available for Pre-Purchase
    The book is also available to pre-purchase on Amazon.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    The new World of Warcraft novel, Warcraft®: Sylvanas is now available for pre-purchase and will release on November 9, 2021, wherever books are sold. Authored by New York Times best-selling and award-winning writer, Christie Golden, this new novel chronicles the epic, definitive story of the legendary Sylvanas Windrunner.

Go on an auditory journey with voice actress Patty Mattson, the voice of Sylvanas Windrunner in World of Warcraft®, who will narrate the audiobook, which will be published by Penguin Random House Audio.

About the Book
    Ranger-General. Banshee Queen. Warchief. Sylvanas Windrunner has borne many titles. To some, she is a hero . . . to others, a villain. But whether in pursuit of justice, vengeance, or something more, Sylvanas has always sought to control her own destiny.

The power to achieve her goals has never been closer, as Sylvanas works alongside the Jailer to liberate all Azeroth from the prison of fate. Her final task? Secure the fealty of their prisoner—King Anduin Wrynn.

To succeed, Sylvanas will be forced to reflect on the harrowing path that brought her to the Jailer’s side, and reveal her truest self to her greatest rival. Here, Sylvanas’ complete story is laid bare: from the breaking of the Windrunner family and her rise to Ranger-General; to her own death at the hands of Arthas and her renewed purpose in founding the Forsaken; to the moment she first beheld the Maw, and understood the true consequences of what lay beyond the veil of death. But as her moment of victory draws near, Sylvanas Windrunner will make a choice that may ultimately come to define her. A choice that’s hers alone to make.

About the Author
    Christie Golden is the award-winning New York Times bestselling author of fifty-six books and more than a dozen short stories in the fields of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. For Blizzard Entertainment, she's contributed five StarCraft® novels, including the “Dark Templar” trilogy, and the Warcraft/World of Warcraft books “Lord of the Clans,” “Rise of the Horde,” “Arthas: Rise of the Lich King,” “War Crimes,” “Before the Storm,” and “Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms.” In 2017, she was awarded the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers Faust Award and named a Grandmaster in recognition of thirty years of writing. She currently works full-time for Blizzard Entertainment, where she frequents Azeroth on a regular basis.
    Last edited by chaud; 2021-04-21 at 09:08 PM.

Soo, she dies in the next raid. "Definite story". Good to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    About time they explain her reasoning, been only like forever they left us in the dark with her.

Let's be honest here: You didn't come to the comments section to find people praising this work of fiction.

FWIW, of all the WoW novels out there this is the one that interests me the most. Mostly because while I find her character arc meme-worthy in-game there's a lot of complex themes surrounding her background which I'm sure this novel will explore in-depth.

Christie Golden will be writing this Sylvanas novel? The time has come to prepare my popcorns.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

5+ Year Old Account
    Bring out the retcons! Again.

I expect there'll be A LOT of retconning, especially the times between Wotlk-Cata and Legion-BfA. That book which tells the story before BfA, which consists of Sylvanas inner thoughts, can probably go to trashcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    "Retcon" in this situation simply meaning, "the story went a direction I didn't think it should."

LMAO

waste of time and money.

retcons incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    written by Golden no less.

it will be bad for sure.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2021-04-21 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    "Retcon" in this situation simply meaning, "the story went a direction I didn't think it should."
    Nah, retcon meaning that they decided that Sylvanas would have entirely new motivation like 2 expansions before it happened except the catalyst for this moment supposedly started back before Cata... and then even wrote a book where her inner monologue conflicts with her supposed goals that she's had for a long time...

Basically we're going to see the "real" story about what happened to her and find out that all of the stuff that was written previously from Cata-just before BfA was all lies and deception. Especially the part where she like... didn't let all the heroes die in Legion when it would have only given her more power or like how she cursed Voljin for making her warchief inside of her own mind when it was apparently part of her plan.

So on and so forth.

Christie Golden is a instant "do not buy".
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Nah, retcon meaning that they decided that Sylvanas would have entirely new motivation like 2 expansions before it happened except the catalyst for this moment supposedly started back before Cata... and then even wrote a book where her inner monologue conflicts with her supposed goals that she's had for a long time...

Basically we're going to see the "real" story about what happened to her and find out that all of the stuff that was written previously from Cata-just before BfA was all lies and deception. Especially the part where she like... didn't let all the heroes die in Legion when it would have only given her more power or like how she cursed Voljin for making her warchief inside of her own mind when it was apparently part of her plan.

So on and so forth.
    /shrug -- shit happens, I still think a work of fiction should be judged by the merits of writing quality rather than some arbitrary points of contention that fans have already decided they're going to be upset about. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of Christie Golden's work but it seems like players on this forum just want to shit-talk her work for having the audacity to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Christie Golden is a instant "do not buy".
    Idc about her but she wrote the acclaimed Arthas: Rise of the Lich King for y'all fanboys

I don't think Christie Golden is the right person to write about Sylvanas...

Quote Originally Posted by Seasz View Post
    Idc about her but she wrote the acclaimed Arthas: Rise of the Lich King for y'all fanboys
    That's nice but that's in the past, she's obviously changed.
    And why the fanboys comment?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Oh boy, a new Sylvaanas book from Golden. I wonder how many puppies she'll drown and how many factions will suddenlly be sexist despite never having been in the past.

Plot twist: 75% of the book will be about Anduin.

Golden is writing it? Get ready for this novel to further demonize Sylvanas and somehow shoehorn Anduin into the narrative.

"chronicles the epic, definitive story of the legendary Sylvanas Windrunner."

chronicles the epic retconning of the story of sylvanus into the complete mess that it has become.

It's telling sylvanus needs a whole book to go through her past, cause even blizzard know how much of a mess sylvanus's story has turned into from all the changes/retcons in the past few expansions. Basically, terrible writing from Danuser and his team who took a liked character and ruined her by forcing her into the spotlight, constantly changing stuff about her, then overusing her poorly.

so ya, I expect no different in this book, where we'll probably see yet more retcon/changes to her past, e.g. fit the jailer in her story, that she had the 9D plan all along, that she totally cared about the forsaken and so on.

But hey, this is probably their attempt to consolidate and sort out her story into a "final version", though LOL at them doing it in a book meaning none of this stuff will ever be reflected or shown in-game, i.e. most players will never know.

I do wonder if they'll gloss over her past actions of committing a genocide, blighting everything she can, not caring about dying planet, betraying her own people/horde, selfishness about her own death, quivers in a bow attitude and so on, just to keep trying to push this "oh some see her as a hero" narrative.

anyways, since she's getting a book, seems like she finally might actually be done after the raid... then again, who knows when it comes to Danuser's waifu :/
    Last edited by voidox; 2021-04-21 at 09:54 PM.

if she dies in the raid who the f will buy the book lol ? Sylvanas fans ? lol, they would probably quit WoW