10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I obviously don't know every language in the planet but what you are describing is called ( in English) a decimalised system not a metric system that is a system of measurement based on the meter ( from the french metre -> metric)
    Well, thanks for clearing that up, will remember this in the future, but my point still somewhat stands, as the argument often goes that non-decimalised systems (see the original post i quoted) are arachaic and illogical, which in the case of currency, i would at least doubt.

Edit: Of course you're right, but are you sure it is used that way in the public discourse? Do people really use metric system to strictly speak about measurements of length, and exclude weight and volume? Because afaik in the public discourse metric is somewhat (and ignorantly) used to differentiate between imperial measurements and... decimal (?) measurements?

Edit2: German Wikipedia uses Metrisches System for all - weight, volume, length, light etc. Sometimes i hate language an what people do with it.

Edit3: Even english wikipedia includes weight, light, presssure, viscosity in "metric system" - so that's also somewhat contrarian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

Edit4: Its getting even worse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_units#Mass metric units that are not SI. Now i'm totally confused, but maybe i should stop this debate about definitions, and go back to my original point:

Not every system based on 10 is superior to other systems - see currency.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2021-04-22 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Well, thanks for clearing that up, will remember this in the future, but my point still somewhat stands, as the argument often goes that non-decimalised systems (see the original post i quoted) are arachaic and illogical, which in the case of currency, i would at least doubt.
    I.... don't really know. I still disagree. As I said ( it was edited while you were posting,sorry for that) we humans have 10 fingers. It's not random we use a base 10 numeration ( a numeration with 10 symbols) because it's extremely intuitive for us.

Sure having more integers divisors comes in handy but what about the multiplication?. In "your" system: how much pences are 17 pounds? 17 x240? It's intuitive?
    Because in a decimalised system its trivial, you don't even have to think about it: 17 x 100 = 1700.

There's a strong reason the metric sytem and the decimalised system of currencies have spread all across the planet and it's not Carlson's tyranny nor a communist plot ( and I don't say you support this idea: it's the Fox news clown).

Edit: Of course you're right, but are you sure it is used that way in the public discourse? Do people really use metric system to strictly speak about measurements of length, and exclude weight and volume? Because afaik in the public discourse metric is somewhat (and ignorantly) used to differentiate between imperial measurements and... decimal (?) measurements?
    No,no ,let's not confuse the term. The metric system is called like that because the meter was the first defined measurement and all related measurements that indicates distance are based on it.

1 candela ( the SI unit for light intensity) is defined as 1 joule ( energy) per square meter (surface)

A metric system ( and the specific SI) defines units for every measurable concept not just distance , yeah volumen, energy, acceleration,weight,light intensity,electric intensity....
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2021-04-22 at 09:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I.... don't really know. I still disagree. As I said ( it was edited while you were posting,sorry for that) we humans have 10 fingers. It's not random we use a base 10 numeration ( a numeration with 10 symbols) because it's extremely intuitive for us.

Sure having more integers divisors comes in handy but what about the multiplication?. In "your" system: how much pences are 17 pounds? 17 x240? It's intuitive?
    Because in a decimalised system its trivial, you don't even have to think about it: 17 x 100 = 1700.

There's a strong reason the metric sytem and the decimalised system of currencies have spread all across the planet and it's not Carlson's tyranny nor a communist plot ( and I don't say you support this idea: it's the Fox news clown).
    Counter example: Divide 100 currency evenly for 3 people.

That's what i mean, there are situations where a decimal system may be worse. Doesn't mean i think its worse as a whole, but this notion that every non-decimal system is illogical and arachaic is also somewhat ignorant. The reason for posting this: I grew up with decimal systems, and when i first learned about imperial measurements i also jumped on the train "illogical, arachaic, lol!" without any reflection if there may be reasons for non-decimal systems.

I'd just argue that people on the metric side shouldn't use the equivalent to "Muh, Imperial, AMERICA!!!" What i mean is: we shouldn't use the Carlson argument from the other side (and no, i prefer decimal systems all the way, i just don't want to be ignorant)
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2021-04-22 at 09:29 AM.

Counter example: Divide 100 currency evenly for 3 people.

That's what i mean, there are situations where a decimal system may be worse.
    I mean, really, all you're saying is "you're not dividing by 10 100% of the time." While true, it kind of misses the point. The point is that in the Metric System, EVERYTHING is based off of ten. It's a consistent value, which makes conversion between units easy. There are 10 milliliters in a centimeter, 10 centimeters in a decimeter, 10 decimeters in a meter... If you need to know, for example, how many centimeters are in 3.7 meters, all you have to do is shift the decimal the proper number of places. Versus the Imperial System where there is no consistency at all: there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 22 yards in a chain, 10 chains in a furlong, 8 furlongs in a mile, and 3 miles in a league. Can you even begin to convert between those without paper and pencil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I mean, really, all you're saying is "you're not dividing by 10 100% of the time." While true, it kind of misses the point. The point is that in the Metric System, EVERYTHING is based off of ten. It's a consistent value, which makes conversion between units easy. There are 10 milliliters in a centimeter, 10 centimeters in a decimeter, 10 decimeters in a meter... If you need to know, for example, how many centimeters are in 3.7 meters, all you have to do is shift the decimal the proper number of places. Versus the Imperial System where there is no consistency at all: there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 22 yards in a chain, 10 chains in a furlong, 8 furlongs in a mile, and 3 miles in a league. Can you even begin to convert between those without paper and pencil?
    I couldn't even start as these measurements confuse me to no end Not arguing that they're better, just that in some special cases decimal systems can have their problems, especially if you don't divide by 10.

But please, don't see this as some argument FOR imperial systems, my point is just that i wouldn't dismiss any non-decimal system as illogical (which is the post i originally quoted).

I couldn't even start as these measurements confuse me to no end Not arguing that they're better, just that in some special cases decimal systems can have their problems, especially if you don't divide by 10.

But please, don't see this as some argument FOR imperial systems, my point is just that i wouldn't dismiss any non-decimal system as illogical (which is the post i originally quoted).
    First you are not using the words for what they mean. Decimal is not imperial, both Metric and Imperial use decimals. There is no world where imperial is more accurate. Guess what if you have 100 square inches of pizza and you want to cut it into 3, you still have the same problem you had before. Thats where decimal gets into play for both system. The main difference is that metric shares the same rule for all units. Even across different things like force, mass, etc. While imperial use a bunch of arbitrary numbers that do not relate to one another the metric system aim to make it simpler, but putting these arbitrary numbers where they are all directly related 0.10000, 0.1000, 0.100, 0.10, 0, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, etc.. Things that are SI like Celcius was added to the metric system, because they use a similar rule. 0 is the start when water is frozen and 100 is the step when water is boiling.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2021-04-22 at 11:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    First you are not using the words for what they mean. Decimal is not imperial, both Metric and Imperial use decimals. There is no world where imperial is more accurate. Guess what if you have 100 square inches of pizza and you want to cut it into 3, you still have the same problem you had before. Thats where decimal gets into play for both system. The main difference is that metric shares the same rule for all units. Even across different things like force, mass, etc. While imperial use a bunch of arbitrary numbers that do not relate to one another.
    First i never claimed decimal is imperial, second we now have 4 different people who corrected me in 4 different ways. Please make up your minds, i'm a bit tired by this definition discussion, and it really misses the point.

Third I never claimed imperial system as a whole ...

Please, read what i wrote: not every non-decimal system is illogical. Period. I don't claim the imperial system is better, i don't claim decimal currency systems are worse. I never claimed you can divide 100 square inches by 3 - how did you get to that anyway? and i for fucks sake! never claimed Tucker is right ... just that a currency system not based on decimal has its own advantages, and its a bit ignorant to dismiss any non-decimal system out of hand as illogical...

First i never claimed decimal is imperial, second we now have 4 different people who corrected me in 4 different ways. Please make up your minds, i'm a bit tired by this definition discussion, and it really misses the point.

Third I never claimed imperial system as a whole ...

Please, read what i wrote: not every non-decimal system is illogical. Period. I don't claim the imperial system is better, i don't claim decimal currency systems are worse. I never claimed you can divide 100 square inches by 3 - how did you get to that anyway? and i for fucks sake! never claimed Tucker is right ... just that a currency system not based on decimal has its own advantages, and its a bit ignorant to dismiss any non-decimal system out of hand as illogical...
    There is no real advantage to having a currency system different then the metric system. The point of the metric system is to encompass as many unit as it can in order to streamline everything in the way we think about it. Like i said the usage of SI measurements like Celcius making sense to use as metric, since its two most important point are 0 and 100 for most minds. Money is the same way, if your entire mind is mapped to think into order of 10s, its just as easy to make currency follow a metric system. You gain nothing for making a money system that count in order of 3. You run into the same problem when you have to give someone 5 unit of money, but your money is based on 3. This will happen in every single system you can come up with. All money system deal with that problem the same way, decimals are rounded up after a certain amount of cents or what ever its lowest currency is.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2021-04-22 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    There is no real advantage to having a currency system different then the metric system. The point of the metric system is to encompass as many unit as it can in order to streamline everything in the way we think about it. Like i said the usage of SI measurements like Celcius making sense to use as metric, since its two most important point are 0 and 100 for most minds. Money is the same way, if your entire mind is mapped to think into order of 10s, its just as easy to make currency follow a metric system. You gain nothing for making a money system that count in order of 3. You run into the same problem when you have to give someone 5 unit of money, but your money is based on 3. This will happen in every single system you can come up with. All money system deal with that problem the same way, decimals are rounded up after a certain amount of cents or what ever its lowest currency is.
    I disagree with the idea my head is based on 10. It may be now, and i'm used to it, and it makes more sense, but there are other system which have their own advantages. Again, this is not an argument against metric system.

And again, as bold doesnt seem to be enough:

I JUST WOULDN'T DISMISS EVERY NON-DECIMAL SYSTEM AS ILLOGICAL WITHOUT TAKING A LOOK AT IT. So please stop attacking strawmans i never claimed.

Is it clear now? You don't have to list all the advantages of decimal. I'm aware of them, and it was never my point to say that decimal is sub-par.

I don't fully agree with this take, but i think he makes some points that are worth thinking about (if you have an hour to kill):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2paSGQRwvo&t=3124s
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2021-04-22 at 12:00 PM.

Wednesday's report:

65,057 new cases, about 14k fewer than last Wednesday. Another good showing.

Top 5:

Michigan: 5,973 new cases; 44 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    New York: 4,628 new cases; 40 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 4,538 new cases; 59 deaths
    Texas: 3,859 new cases; 78 deaths

For the most part things continue to seem to be trending in right direction as numbers overall appear lower than last week. Even the states listed as "high risk" are showing improvement. For anyone curious as to how California has been faring since they dropped off the top 5 weeks ago, they're pretty consistently around the bottom of the top 10 which, considering the immense population of California, is pretty damned good. Their 7-day average has been between 2-3k for weeks now and has been going lower more recently.

876 deaths is over 50 fewer than last Wednesday and brings the total to 583,330. Not much to add to what I said yesterday except to reiterate that we'll likely see this fluctuating around this plateau for a while before, hopefully, heading down again. California still tops the chart from time to time, but Florida and Texas (and more recently Michigan) have been sharing equal time there as well. All of these should be going down in a couple weeks--provided the population aren't anti-vax dickheads.

Related news:

'We did it': Biden celebrates U.S. hitting milestone of 200 million doses in his first 100 days--Given that the initial goal was 100 million in 100 days this is pretty impressive and indicative of what can be accomplished when a rational adult is in office instead of, you know, Trump. Now, 200 million doses is not the same as 200 million vaccinations, but even partially-vaccinated people contributes towards kicking this virus in the ass and is likely in large part responsible for the number of cases dipping back down these past couple weeks.

Stay safe, folks.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1375...390277?lang=en

I am eagerly awaiting Rep. Dan Crenshaw to congratulate Biden on surpassing his expectations of 200 million vaccines produced, and getting 200 million vaccines in folks arms to boot.

AAaaaaannnnyyyyyyyy day now. Maybe once he's recovered from his surgery and can see again, maybe he won't believe it until he sees it with his own eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny...of the metric system
    -- seconds later, uses the term "KYE-low-grams". No, really, you have to see this shit

Tucker has clearly taken his pronounciation lessons from Xehanort. To think someone could tolerate being close to someone that evil. No wonder Xehanort went off the deep end.

But like, is everything that is not PATRIODICAL NATION LOVING CAPITALISTIC GLORY MURICAN evil and a threat to the United States to this man?

200m in 100 days. That's an amazing feat, I don't care what anyone thinks. I thought he was optimistic with the 100m doses but I am glad to be wrong there. Just wish dumb fuck Trump wasn't in charge for the first year that fucked it all up for everyone in the US and literally killed hundreds of thousands of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    200m in 100 days. That's an amazing feat, I don't care what anyone thinks.
    I mean, it's even more impressive when you add the intentional obstruction. Not necessarily the Trump admin, I mean the rabid fanbase who were fighting tooth and hat to ignore this Chinese Hoax.

I mean, it's even more impressive when you add the intentional obstruction. Not necessarily the Trump admin, I mean the rabid fanbase who were fighting tooth and hat to ignore this Chinese Hoax.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Hell on this one thing alone, if the rest of Biden's presidency is just boring normality he'd already be a top half of the list president. With all the obstruction this got through because of him and his cabinet quick thinking and planning even before he was sworn into office.

Take currency. I'd actually prefer the (old) english system that is divisble by 3, because it happens much more often that i have to split currency in 3 parts than in 10. This is just a minor issue, but i prefer not to show that much disdain for the imperial system, as it has its advantages, and just thumping on your chest because "metric > all" is not much different from "bruh, learn to uise correct measurements here in america!!! we use imperial!!"
    This doesn't really make any sense. Sure, it makes it easier to split exactly 1 pound 3 ways... but what if you have 100 pence you want to split 3 ways? Counter example: It's pretty easy to split $3 three ways.

The fact that 240 pence = 1 pound doesn't actually inherently make it easier to divide arbitrary numbers by 3.

So, don't know where to post this, so this seems to be an appropriate place.

But it seems that the Washington Post has been busy, trying to show the world the true Tucker Carlson. For those of us, that know him and his bullshit with his racism, we know who he truly is. But the Washington Post got ahold of his Trinity College yearbook.

Tucker Carlson apparently had some interesting extra curricular activities. He belonged to a couple of clubs, one was the Dan White Society, and the other was the Jesse Helms Foundation.

Dan White, was the guy that killed Mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk of San Francisco. Harvey Milk was the first openly gay elected official in 1978. Jesse Helms was a North Carolina Senator that vehemently opposed homosexuality and integration of schools. So, not only did he support murderers, he openly supported absolute racist bigoted pieces of shit.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ook-reveals-he

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    So, don't know where to post this, so this seems to be an appropriate place.

But it seems that the Washington Post has been busy, trying to show the world the true Tucker Carlson. For those of us, that know him and his bullshit with his racism, we know who he truly is. But the Washington Post got ahold of his Trinity College yearbook.

Tucker Carlson apparently had some interesting extra curricular activities. He belonged to a couple of clubs, one was the Dan White Society, and the other was the Jesse Helms Foundation.

Dan White, was the guy that killed Mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk of San Francisco. Harvey Milk was the first openly gay elected official in 1978. Jesse Helms was a North Carolina Senator that vehemently opposed homosexuality and integration of schools. So, not only did he support murderers, he openly supported absolute racist bigoted pieces of shit.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ook-reveals-he
    Well surprise surprise, Mr. "I'm only asking questions, how the gays and the transgenders are destroying this once great all white straight Christian nation?" was proudly part of college groups named for the killer of one of the most influential members for the LGTBQ+ community and a Senator who vehemently against homosexuals and wanted minorities out of white schools. I mean anyone with a brain or a shred of human decency would find that appalling but to his fans and the average Fox News viewer that is a major badge of honor and only shows him to be more of hero then he was before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Tucker Carlson apparently had some interesting extra curricular activities
    I was wondering what he was so mad about. It should not surprise anyone that someone terrified about people looking into his past, has a past that would get him in trouble. Carlson didn't say "please don't" or "HAH good luck, I was a Boy Scout" or even "I've filed a cyst and disease order to stop them from looking into my ass". He got angry. And he tried to say they had no right -- despite cosplaying as an investigative journalist on a network cosplaying as the news.

I look forward to what else they find.

- - - Updated - - -

W voted for Condaleeza Rice in 2020.

I was wondering what he was so mad about. It should not surprise anyone that someone terrified about people looking into his past, has a past that would get him in trouble. Carlson didn't say "please don't" or "HAH good luck, I was a Boy Scout" or even "I've filed a cyst and disease order to stop them from looking into my ass". He got angry. And he tried to say they had no right -- despite cosplaying as an investigative journalist on a network cosplaying as the news.

I look forward to what else they find.

- - - Updated - - -

W voted for Condaleeza Rice in 2020.
    ive always though men like tucker are people whos taxes you want to look at. You know a motherfucker like that is up to something. They cant help themselves.