Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No more weapon tokens in 9.1? Why?

So if I read the current PTR dungeon journal entries, the bosses drop weapons directly instead of tokens like we had in the past.
    I can understand why the bow from Sylvannas must be a direct drop but why no more tokens? The tokens from CN worked out well.

Or did I miss something that made the tokens a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    So if I read the current PTR dungeon journal entries, the bosses drop weapons directly instead of tokens like we had in the past.
    I can understand why the bow from Sylvannas must be a direct drop but why no more tokens? The tokens from CN worked out well.

I'd argue that it is changed because the maw-raid has nothing to do with covenants and comes with it's own art-style.
    In Castle, you had 4 different art styles for each weapon (4 covs), in Torghast you will probably running around with maw-styled gear.
    Atleast this is what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    I'd argue that it is changed because the maw-raid has nothing to do with covenants and comes with it's own art-style.
    In Castle, you had 4 different art styles for each weapon (4 covs), in Torghast you will probably running around with maw-styled gear.
    While this makes sense from lore point of view, it's not going to be fun to have some people swim in weapons, while others will be struggling to get any with trading being restricted severely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    While this makes sense from lore point of view, it's not going to be fun to have some people swim in weapons, while others will be struggling to get any with trading being restricted severely.
    we did just fine for several expansions like that, they may even give us back bonus rolls, so chill

Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    we did just fine for several expansions like that, they may even give us back bonus rolls, so chill
    No, we didn't, we just had to suck it up. Weapons were always a mess, especially when they keep leaving the same specs without max ilevel weapons. Tokens were a fantastic solution, and now that we've had that solution it's absurd to go back to the objectively worse system.
    - They let you get offspec weapons without having to switch to a different lootspec and risking a trash trinket drop (or let you switch to a different lootspec to dodge a trash trinket in your main lootspec, while still being able to get a mainspec weapon)
    - Everybody had access to the same weapon ilevels.
    - Everybody had access to the same number of weapons (no more 3 rogue daggers but only 1 2h agi weapon or whatever)
    - Trading got massively simplified because after looting 1 token you can trade that token, instead of needing to loot a bunch of different weapon types to be able to trade each of them
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

the weapon tokens helped hunters the most. so i guess if they get a dedicated drop the entire system kinda becomes pointless.

definitly a step back though, i've been the only 1h str weapon user in my guild several times too and it aint fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    the weapon tokens helped hunters the most. so i guess if they get a dedicated drop the entire system kinda becomes pointless.

definitly a step back though, i've been the only 1h str weapon user in my guild several times too and it aint fun.
    How did weapon tokens help hunters the most? If you mean they're the only ones to use that weapon type, rogues are also the only class to use agi daggers.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    How did weapon tokens help hunters the most? If you mean they're the only ones to use that weapon type, rogues are also the only class to use agi daggers.
    rogues at least have a spec (thats not horrible) that can use other weapon types in the worst case. hunters can only use ranged weapon and only hunters can loot it (survival hunters don't exist kk?).

but yeah there are a couple specs like that that are at high risk of having nobody that can trade them weapons. as i said i've been in the situation myself a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    We didn't do fine. It always sucked to disenchant yet another agi dagger or ranged weapon, because no one in your raid was using it or the only person who could've used it already had it while half your raid had weapons from previous raid.

Legion with master looter and relics was the best when it came to weapons. BFA sucked balls, so the tokens were a nice upgrade on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    but yeah there are a couple specs like that that are at high risk of having nobody that can trade them weapons. as i said i've been in the situation myself a few times.
    It's the other way around too though, someone lucky getting duplicate weapons they can't trade, because no one else can use that weapon.

Well, Castle was the first raid ever with weapon tokens, so....

It's the other way around too though, someone lucky getting duplicate weapons they can't trade, because no one else can use that weapon.
    in order to get lucky, you also have to be able to get unlucky. i can still hear the woes of anguish of our raid leader in nyalotha cause he didn't loot a bow till after we cleared the tier.

Well, Castle was the first raid ever with weapon tokens, so....
    yes, and it was great

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this could be solved by sticking a named npc Broker with the title of Looter/Torghast Escapee who trades Weapon Tokens for the weapons he snagged while escaping if flavour/fantasy was an issue.

I'm pretty sure they returned to the weapons dropping instead of tokens because the system was too convenient and beneficial to players and it takes longer to acquire them if they only drop on specific bosses. Remember can't have your players gear too quickly or consistently in Shadowlands cause the expansion can't retain them.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

if not, as it shows now Guardian druid gets no max ilvl wpn whilst other classes does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

7+ Year Old Account

They only did it for one raid and it sucked - I rather get weapons themed after its raid/boss instead of generic weapons.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    They only did it for one raid and it sucked - I rather get weapons themed after its raid/boss instead of generic weapons.
    The weapons will still have the same theme/look except you buy them from a vendor with the token from said raid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    The weapons will still have the same theme/look except you buy them from a vendor with the token from said raid.
    No? You bought generic covenant weapon XY instead of f.e. Denathrius' sword. I would rather get my hands on Sylvanas' bow instead of a generic covenant gun, thanks.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    No, we didn't, we just had to suck it up. Weapons were always a mess, especially when they keep leaving the same specs without max ilevel weapons. Tokens were a fantastic solution, and now that we've had that solution it's absurd to go back to the objectively worse system.
    - They let you get offspec weapons without having to switch to a different lootspec and risking a trash trinket drop (or let you switch to a different lootspec to dodge a trash trinket in your main lootspec, while still being able to get a mainspec weapon)
    - Everybody had access to the same weapon ilevels.
    - Everybody had access to the same number of weapons (no more 3 rogue daggers but only 1 2h agi weapon or whatever)
    - Trading got massively simplified because after looting 1 token you can trade that token, instead of needing to loot a bunch of different weapon types to be able to trade each of them
    Except for the fact that weapon tokens fucked several classes by having the first token drop on the 7th boss in the fucking raid. Which fucked Mythic raiders and forced us to rely on luck in our weekly chests for 226 weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

In my opinion the token implementation was a mistake. I would not have minded if you got the same stats on all weapons just with covenant specific visuals, but since every covenant offered different weapons it made getting your BiS unnecessarily complicated.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2021-04-22 at 12:16 PM.

I like it this way, way more.
    Tokens always feels... cheap.

I never get the feeling of "yeah a new weapon" with tokens. IMHO this is part of let loot be loot. No WF/TF, no Tokens and bullshit like that.