Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You mean like Kansas and every other red state, including the one I live in?
    I'm sure he's meaning more like California did with Jerry Brown as governor.

He ruined such a great economy by so much so that it became the 5th largest economy in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    No, I haven’t cashed either of the last two covid checks.
    This right here is how Democrats need to sell tax increases. Increase taxes by 50%, then just offer a rebate of equal to that tax. Most people will end up paying 0 taxes, while folks like this dude right here, will refuse the rebate on principle... covering all our costs.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many Floridians are going to buy into the Trickle Down nonsense that if they have to pay taxes for the business they'll create more jobs.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You don't really expect anyone to believe this do you?
    I think it’s funny to think about it in terms of getting your taxes back. It’s theft, but they don’t want it back... weird... tax cut on corporations, they cheer... everyone gets money back, they won’t even cash it... what wacky world of sports...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I think it’s funny to think about it in terms of getting your taxes back. It’s theft, but they don’t want it back... weird... tax cut on corporations, they cheer... everyone gets money back, they won’t even cash it... what wacky world of sports...
    Well in addition to the logical inconsistency of what you mentioned I don't think people would just forgo "free" money. Just like I don't believe people who think taxes should be higher are writing checks to contribute more to the IRS.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in addition to the logical inconsistency of what you mentioned I don't think people would just forgo "free" money. Just like I don't believe people who think taxes should be higher are writing checks to contribute more to the IRS.
    Sure, but I think it makes them look a lot worse if you take what they said as the truth.

Ah yes, the Maduro solution to everything. You realize the treasury is just printing money to cover those loans right? Isn’t 6+ trillion new dollars being minted in the last year enough?
    Difference is all that borrowed unemployment money has always been paid back unlike our national debt. Well old debt is always paid back too but its rolled over to new debt most of the time.....

The point was there is no hurry to build back up the unemployment fund for the reasons they are doing it in florida. It will build itself back up over time and if adjustments are needed to be made it should be made to the unemployment business tax not tax on individuals.

Also borrowing 6 trillion dollars to be repaid in 30 years is not a horrible thing when its used right.

About 200 billion a year including interest. 168 million workers, most being positively effected by the borrowing will owe 1190.00 each or 99.20 per month.
    If you expand this since it was money borrowed for everyone in the country then its 606.00 or 50 dollars a month per person.

You'd then have to subtract out additional tax collections as a result of the invested 6 trillion in the economy. They always say a dollar of govt investment results in at least a 1.50 worth of economic activity.

- - - Updated - - -

Not particularly happy about that either. There is an amount between 0 dollars and 6 trillion dollars that was probably reasonable given the circumstances last year, but 6 trillion is egregious. No, I haven’t cashed either of the last two covid checks.

On the topic of red states and blue states though, if you wanna run yours into the ground that’s your business. I don’t have many complaints here. Not saying you have any either, but if you do you might consider asking why.

He didn't cash the checks but i am sure it will be adjusted in his tax return, see the loophole

On the topic of red states and blue states though, if you wanna run yours into the ground that’s your business. I don’t have many complaints here. Not saying you have any either, but if you do you might consider asking why.
    Do we really want to get into this again. so many threads have information that proves how most Red states are wholly dependent on these "run down blue states".

Well apart from companies providing ‘generous’ (not exactly sure of your definition but I’ll assume more than now) maternal/paternal leave, Indiana (red state where I live) pretty much already does all the things you’ve asked for (yes even including government funded condoms).
    Yes, that’s right Mike Pence’s state.
    We also have a fantastic housing market.
    Do you want me to do Indiana for you?

Medicaid FMAP for Indiana is 72.50%
    Those silly Blue states stuck at 56%.... CA, CT, NY, NJ, WA, etc etc etc.

You realize that's an extra few billion for Indiana and about 20 billion or more less for CA and NY. Just to pay for Medicaid.

That's ok Indiana is only #8 on the Most Federally Dependent States list.

in 2019 Indiana got back $2,583 more per capita then they paid in.
    Those pesky Blue states being run into the ground CA: -$367 NY: -$1,219 IL: -$883 MA: -$1,154 NJ: -$2,450

oh 367 sounds like low right, I mean its only 14.5 billion dollars. Get to $2,583 like IN its 102 billion. imagine how much lower the state taxes could be in CA with an extra 102 billion in federal funding coming in.

NY would get 76 billion in additional funding.

9.6 million workers in NY that's $7900 dollar reduction in taxes they would need to pay each year.

Hell personal income tax—$53.6 billion in NY last year, they could have no income tax like some Red states do!!
    They could also cut the property tax ($36.6 billion) by at least 50%

Then they can brag about being a low tax state, #winning.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

As a Floridian for over 40 years i can say....we deserve it.

We elected Rick Scott and Desantis and Trump.

We deserve all the rotten fruit those actions bear.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Happy to take a pic if you want, they’re sitting on my desk unopened

OMG do an opening/unboxing video on youtube!!

You should, seriously open them. Cash them. then make a voluntary donation to the US treasury.

or just give me your bank acct log on information and i can validate your claims

Oh btw I can take a picture of some family members checks too since I deposited them from my phone. So better do the unboxing video of opening the actual envelope

Mine got direct deposited so i can't do mine....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    I’d appreciate you no longer complaining about taxes, if this is indeed true. It doesn’t make a lick of sense if you don’t even take your taxes back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    You should, seriously open them. Cash them. then make a voluntary donation to the US treasury.
    I’d ask him to give back the Trump tax cut, but he didn’t get shit to give back.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I’d appreciate you no longer complaining about taxes, if this is indeed true. It doesn’t make a lick of sense if you don’t even take your taxes back.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d ask him to give back the Trump tax cut, but he didn’t get shit to give back.
    Is it so hard to imagine someone whose life and job were impacted zero percent by the pandemic, who maybe even got a raise out of it, who then asks ‘why are you giving this to me when there are so many others hurting?’ I work in healthcare chucklenuts. I didn’t earn it, deserve it, or need it.

Is it so hard to imagine someone whose life and job were impacted zero percent by the pandemic, who maybe even got a raise out of it, who then asks ‘why are you giving this to me when there are so many others hurting?’ I work in healthcare chucklenuts. I didn’t earn it, deserve it, or need it.
    You could have just states you don’t understand what the purpose of stimulus checks are.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    You could have just states you don’t understand what the purpose of stimulus checks are.
    To have people increase their conspicuous consumption? Yup. Been consciously doing that all year.

To have people increase their conspicuous consumption? Yup. Been consciously doing that all year.
    So the answer is no as I suspected.

How easy do you think it would be to weed out the people that didn't need the stimulus without using income? I mean you act like you've thought all this through and have all the answers, but they would have to hire 1000's of people (costing the tax payer millions more), to go through and find who didn't take a hit during the pandemic and who did, not too mention the time that would take.

You're the kind of person that would let 1000's suffer to keep 10 from abusing the system. I hope you don't act the same way in your healthcare profession.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Then...why wouldn't you use the stimulus checks to do exactly that? If you understand their purpose was to be spent to boost the economy, that is the only thing you're NOT accomplishing by not spending them.

I mean, this is you: "Hey I know we need to spend more money to keep things rolling, so I'll do just that. Oh wait, the government gave me money to spend? Oh heck no I ain't spending that!"

It's some tax-free birthday money. Fucking-a just buy a TV or a new couch or something.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not going to take back the taxes you have been paying into the system... don’t complain about taxes. That’s is all... it makes you a massive hypocrite and implies that a tax system based on refunds, would result in higher revenue from folks like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Now defend the Trump tax cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    You work in healthcare yet you don't understand why means testing at point of distribution is counterproductive, hm?

Uh huh. So which health insurance company or debt collection agency do you work for, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there wasn't a lethal pandemic that he's helping spread, I might have actually supported what looks like a "buy local, tax global" approach.

However, the outbreaks still costs hundreds of lives a day and Florida's doing badly. This probably should have waited. So even giving him the benefit of the doubt, this is still a bad idea.