Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just finished it, good enough for me. Hope they make a sequel and really improve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kano was absolutely brilliant in this, and I also really liked Kabal, even though he wasn’t in it much. The actor really nailed his assholery well.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao were woefully underutilized. Sonya was ok, Jax was ok, Mileeena was great but underused.

Wish it had been a bit longer to flesh out some characters, as Cole was boring.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So as a fan of the series.

The good.
    Both Scorpion vs subzero solo fights.
    Lots of references.

The bad.
    Needless blood line nonsense.
    Tech powers replaced with stupid super powers.
    Every death other then scorpions.
    mileena was wasted only having like one line.
    Goro had no lines and they should have used what’s his face tiger goro if he was gonna be fodder.
    nitara had no lines.
    Reptile had no lines.

As A general movie goer.
    The bad.
    The story was fucking awful.
    The effects were fucking awful.
    The editing was fucking awful.

The good.
    Character writing was ok.

Over all it wasn’t the worse movie I’ve ever seen but I wouldn’t watch it again.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-04-24 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was OK. After a while, I forgot all about the gray bar on the TV app. Thanks, HBO Max!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Wow that was a piece of shit.

The dialogue sucked.
    The acting sucked.
    But most egregious of all, the fighting sucked.

Head to toe, there was not one thing redeemable about this movie, other than frozen blood dagger move shown in the trailer. Honestly, the original from the 90s was better and that one was pretty bad.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-04-24 at 02:51 AM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    It was alright. I had zero expectations. I haven't been into the MK games since MK3, and I was able to catch a lot of the gags and easter eggs. The dialog was laughable and the Cole character was boring. I wish Scorpion had been in it more. Some of the cgi looked a little silly, but perfectly decent for a lower budget film.

Not terrible. Promising start. I hope they are able to make a sequel which improves upon this first one.

I haven't seen the 95 movie in probably 20 years. I wonder if it's as decent as my nostalgia tells me it is...

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to like this so, so much the casting was fine, but there were other changes that I really hated like Mileena, I don't like they prettied her up, I also think they should have mad Sub Zero more brutal like in the Original game Over all I give the film a Solid C+ or 6/10
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i enjoyed the movie. wish it was longer. kung lao was my fav char and they killed him off way too soon imo.

the best fight scene was hanzo in the intro imo.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

They didn't even did the iconic mortal kombat theme sound right

Was 4/10, there wasn't even a tournament.

This Raiden was so bad, the only ones there decent was Sub-Zero, Kano and maybe Sonya

Not expecting much but at least expected be better than the 1995 version and it failed

How to explain it...The 1995 version you feel that is a tournament, the zones, the fighters, the soundtrack, etc.
    In this one only when Sub-Zero is on it that feeling is there, not even Goro is worth remembering
    Last edited by Spike`; 2021-04-24 at 09:50 PM.

Disliked it immensely. Weird casting choices (Jax, Sony, Rayden), characters with no reason to be on the movie (Cole Young and his family), shoddy action scenes filled with cuts. It was a mess.

I liked Kano, Scorpion and Sub-zero, all the rest was horrid. Oh, Goro was cool, even if poorly used.

I'll probably rewatch the 1995 version more often than this mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually quite enjoyed it, it gave enough homage to the characters of old while having Cole as a stand-in for those who may not know all the history of the Mortal Kombat universe. I can't say I disliked any of the cast, they all did wonderful for their role. I guess people expected something different from a movie that had to try to make a story out of a fighting game primarily focused on killing others. The fact that there is so much blood and gore made me excited because that is what I wish was in the original movie. Hoping the second one fleshes out more on some of the characters that didn't get enough screen time for those just coming into the MK universe. There were some small faults I felt, but nothing to the point of ruining the film. The CGI wasn't completely overdone and the fighting scenes using real moves was quite spectacular. I do kinda wish that they had used the fatality of one of the iconic fighting areas in MK though... but it was still pretty cool to see the "Finish Him" daze

8.5/10
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Dog shit tier. That fan made series from years ago was way cooler than this waste of time. The only mildly fun part of this movie was some of the Kano dialogs and interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    Not expecting much but at least expected be better than the 1995 version and it failed
    This is what got me. How do you remake a fairly bad (albeit fun) movie and not manage to improve on it at all? They kept talking about the tournament and then never actually got to it. Instead we spend 45 minutes watching people punch each other and then randomly gain a superpower they almost never use.

"I'm back from hell." what?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    This is what got me. How do you remake a fairly bad (albeit fun) movie and not manage to improve on it at all? They kept talking about the tournament and then never actually got to it. Instead we spend 45 minutes watching people punch each other and then randomly gain a superpower they almost never use.

"I'm back from hell." what?
    The thing about the first movie is even though it's campy, it's still more or less a good movie albeit low budget movie. I think this is what is getting people confused. MK 2021 isn't a good movie. It barely has a functional plot, all the main actors turn in bland performances, the fight scenes are terribly choreographed and shot even poorer (outside of the first scene. )

When you compare mk2021 to mk95, that's the main issue, mk95 is an understandable movie, with good performances and good fights, its a quality movie for 1995. If you compare mk21 to a movie like godzilla vs Kong which is also a borderline bad movie, but its enjoyable, mk21 makes a lot more sense.

It's also the debut for this director, and from what I can tell has no other work to speak of whether directing or producing or writing.

7+ Year Old Account
    i think Bi Han became smoke but im a little rusty as well
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    i think Bi Han became smoke but im a little rusty as well
    Yep, you're rusty, he didn't become Smoke, he became Noob Saibot.

It is absolutely over the top insane to me that so many of you people went into this movie expecting Oscar level writing. Same type of people that wanted more 'human interaction' in Godzilla vs. Kong, I think.
    I thought it was awesome for what it was. It's Mortal Kombat, not What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Good lord.

Well it was lame.

Why they invented new protagonist? I honestly though it was Kung Lao till he teleported with a hat (and then though he got his supes off screen). Basically fight and nothing more and fighting was even good. Why is Sub immortal and serving Shang? Why is clan feud? WTF?!

If it is fan service movie then ok, they did not explain that shit. But then why create a stupid, bland, boring cole young? Or is he some character from a game?

Liked Kabal, Kano, Liu Kang, First 8-9 minutes, zappy teleport. Kano and Kabal were best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by perkocet View Post
    It is absolutely over the top insane to me that so many of you people went into this movie expecting Oscar level writing. Same type of people that wanted more 'human interaction' in Godzilla vs. Kong, I think.
    I thought it was awesome for what it was. It's Mortal Kombat, not What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Good lord.
    It was awesome hot mess?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yep, you're rusty, he didn't become Smoke, he became Noob Saibot.
    But he went with smoke... hehe... he...

The fact that people who liked the 90's movie didn't like this one, makes me hopeful that I might enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The fact that people who liked the 90's movie didn't like this one, makes me hopeful that I might enjoy it.
    It was good. I liked it. Bloody good fun and faithful to the spirit of the game and lore. A lot of fan service with only a couple of notable omissions of character must haves.