Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Real question:
    How were they not flat henchman characters in the current movie? The only concept that there may be more is the "for the lin kuei" line. But thats it, scorpion is portrayed as the flat good guy and scorpion is the flat bad guy. In mk95, they were both just the flat bad guy. In fact you get a slight bit more out of them because shang tsung says they are straight up mortal enemies, but shang tsung is so powerful they do as he says without question. Their inclusion make shang tsung way more threatening, which is another issue mk21 had, shang tsung was a joke and so was raiden.
    They have like no lines in the 95 movie and are just fodder in the tournament who die like bitches.

In this they atleast have the first sequence which fleshes out scorpion a bit and subzero has a much more promenade roll fighting Jax kidnaping the family and being the end fight.

Well they weren’t as fleshed out as they could have/should have been they were still down way better then the 95 movie.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit that I do like the 95 movie in spite of its flaws. I liked the fact that it was about the tournament, had a pretty good representation of notable characters at the time of release, some hilariously awful moments such as "those were $500 sun glasses asshole" and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was a great Shang Tsung.

What felt a little short to me in MK21 were most of the fights themselves which suffered from editing and a lack of investment. For example, the Jax and Reiko fight was about 30 seconds split across two different scenes which split the other pinultimate fight scenes across other fight scenes and it just didn't capture much of my attention or really draw out my interests. Even in the longer fights it was just so "throw everything at the audience" that it felt like a lost opportunity. Nitara who? Not saying the fights in MK95 were that great either but I found them to be more memorable because I felt more invested in them.

What I will say is that I am okay with the shift away from Liu Kang as the chosen one. What I don't like, however, is the new character who's power is to wear gaudy Mithril and sports a sparkling police baton. Did they just run out of props?

Overall, it's a fun movie to turn your brain off to without having to go in a full-blown coma like Annihilation to get through and, in spite of its flaws, that's really all we should expect from a Mortal Kombat movie and I hope it does well enough to get a sequel or two which tightens up the fight scenes and explores more characters.

The nostalgia and nods were pretty great though but Christopher Lambert will always be Lord Raiden to me.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2021-04-25 at 10:37 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I have to admit that I do like the 95 movie in spite of its flaws. I liked the fact that it was about the tournament, had a pretty good representation of notable characters at the time of release, some hilariously awful moments such as "those were $500 sun glasses asshole" and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was a great Shang Tsung.

What felt a little short to me in MK21 were most of the fights themselves which suffered from editing and a lack of investment. For example, the Jax and Reiko fight was about 30 seconds split across two different scenes which split the other pinultimate fight scenes across other fight scenes and it just didn't capture much of my attention or really draw out my interests. Even in the longer fights it was just so "throw everything at the audience" that it felt like a lost opportunity. Nitara who? Not saying the fights in MK95 were that great either but I found them to be more memorable because I felt more invested in them.

What I will say is that I am okay with the shift away from Liu Kang as the chosen one. What I don't like, however, is the new character who's power is to wear gaudy Mithril and sports a sparkling police baton. Did they just run out of props?

Overall, it's a fun movie to turn your brain off to without having to go in a full-blown coma like Annihilation to get through and, in spite of its flaws, that's really all we should expect from a Mortal Kombat movie and I hope it does well enough to get a sequel or two which tightens up the fight scenes and explores more characters.

The nostalgia and nods were pretty great though but Christopher Lambert will always be Lord Raiden to me.
    I think something that also helped the fight scenes from the 95/97 movies stick out was each one had it's own music track. As someone who thoroughly enjoys sounds, being able to connect a fight with a singular song really helps it stick out when I hear that song again, or rewatch it. It's honestly why I remember the Scorpion vs Sub-Zero/Liu Kang vs Smoke fights, or the Sonya and Jax vs Cyrax and thugs fight from Annihilation. Hearing "Fire" by Scooter, "I Won't Lie Down (Kombat Mix)" by Face to Face, or "Two Telephone Calls and an Air Raid" by Shaun Imrei just excites me cause I remember them so fondly from my childhood.

The new movie is great as a Mortal Kombat movie to get things going if they get to making sequels, and the theories they bring up in the movie that the characters have are easily explained if they decide to bring characters back as their classic looking selves.

7+ Year Old Account
    sonya blade she's my favorite damn what a nice looking woman she is
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

This movie did some really great things, and it also did some things that just were plain awful/didn't make sense. (This is coming from someone who saw the movies in theater back in '95 and '97 and played the shit out of Mortal Kombat 1/2 on Sega Genesis)

Cons:

- I have no clue who this Cole guy is. This must be from one of the games beyond MK 1/2 that I don't know about. I had zero emotional investment into him and he's the main protagonist? Why does he look 30 and have a teenage daughter. Why didn't his family lose their shit and call the police after a giant 4-armed monster attacked them? They were completely unfazed by beings appearing out of lightning and channeling fire out of their hands too. What is his armor made of and why should I care? It seems pretty overpowered as if he can't be beaten so long as these dimensional beings decide not to attack him anywhere else

- Where is Johnny Cage? He's the true main character. Shit, MK was created based off Jean-Claude Van Damme, which Cage pays homage to. He's 1a/1b with Liu Kang as the main protagonists. (Yes, I realize he'll be in the sequel) Which leads me to my next point:

- Liu Kang being effeminate and not one of the main protagonists. I was so hyped when his silhouette first appeared, but man, was he all around a complete let down. And he didn't become more than a martial artist until Annihilation, so this was too soon for him to be summoning a god damn flame dragon to defeat his opponent imo.

- Sonya Blade being seemingly superhuman. These impossible flying flips and spins were just so, so bad. In the original she had real hand-to-hand combat skills with moves that were mostly believable. This one fights like a Kung Fu Hustle character. She's fit and sexy just like the original, but they need to tone her godly athleticism down. And how did she not kill Kano with a neck snap via legs? Such a let down.

- Arcana (sp?) I'm just not sold on the idea of it. It all unfurled way too quickly, wasn't fleshed out, and was too gimmicky. I'd rather them be able to use powers in Outworld as it has different sets of rules in that reality or something. Idk, maybe it'll make more sense in the sequel.

- It not being a Mortal Kombat Tournament at all. It was just a bunch of smoke monsters trying to assassinate the participants before it happened.

- Raiden being Asian-washed and Mileena being Black-washed. He was white with white hair in the original. Much more Thunder-God-y than whatever this one was with his flashlight eyes. And Mileena was just changed like some Witcher Netflix type hamfisted diversity. I bet they cuckify Johnny like they did Liu in the sequel.

Pros:

- The fatalities and gore. My jaw dropped when Kung Lao split Nitara in half head-first with his hat. Jax exploding the head of whoever the hell Reiko is was sick too. And the origin of Jax getting his arms torn off was perfect, but how he got his new ones should not have been arcana but just a technological improvement.

- Subzero and Scorpion's rivalry and fight scenes. That final fight would have been phenomenal if it was just Scorpion v. Subzero. Cole shouldn't have been a part of that imo, it sullied it.

- Kano's comedy. He carried the movie in his scenes, even if he was way too durable after all the knives Sonya shoved into him. Would have liked a bit more chauvinism towards Sonya, though. Needed to be more pig-headed and foul than the sarcastic bro that he was.

- How they set it up for the sequel. There's still hope for some better actors/characters showing up. They better not ruin Cage, though in this woke era it's not boding well.

I think the original movie still smokes this one though. Better story, better cast, better martial arts scenes, and iconic music and lines. I can watch the original over and over and never get bored of it, while I doubt I could sit through this one many more times. Here's to hoping the sequel rights the wrongs and improves substantially.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2021-04-26 at 12:07 AM.

I was entertained. I knew next to nothing about it all so that probably helped. I was reminded of those "Golan-Globus" movies such as "American Ninja," and actors as "Chuck Norris" and "Sho Kosugi"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post

- Raiden being Asian-washed and Mileena being Black-washed. He was white with white hair in the original. Much more Thunder-God-y than whatever this one was with his flashlight eyes.
    Raiden's an Asian esc character and always has been it was the 95 movie that race changed him this was just going back to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Raiden's an Asian esc character and always has been it was the 95 movie that race changed him this was just going back to form.
    Nah. The original character in the video game was white and he was white in the original movies. It's just more forced diversity.

Bringing up forbidden topics isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2021-04-26 at 09:50 PM.

Nah. The original character in the video game was white and he was white in the original movies. It's just more forced diversity.
    In case the Asian hat and attire didn't tip you off, the fact that he was completely based on THIS character from Big Trouble in Little China should have:

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? Original character is Asian, based on the Japanese Thunder God Raijin; he was whitewashed for the first two movies. Jesus Christ your lack of knowledge about this is rather disturbing. Please go and look it up before coming back

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    In case the Asian hat and attire didn't tip you off, the fact that he was completely based on THIS character from Big Trouble in Little China should have:

Nah he was based on the Japanese Thunder God Raijin

7+ Year Old Account
    he's literally named after the Japanese thunder god and his design is based off of these guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Nah he was based on the Japanese Thunder God Raijin
    It's both, His character design is based off the three storms but lore/name off the Japanese god.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    In case the Asian hat and attire didn't tip you off, the fact that he was completely based on THIS character from Big Trouble in Little China should have:[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Are you serious? Original character is Asian, based on the Japanese Thunder God Raijin; he was whitewashed for the first two movies. Jesus Christ your lack of knowledge about this is rather disturbing. Please go and look it up before coming back

You're both incorrect. In all of the original sources he was white. Mortal Kombat 1/2, Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and Mortal Kombat Mythologies.

Original person to be Raiden from Mortal Kombat 1 and 2

Second person to be Raiden from Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Third person to be Raiden from Mortal Kombat Mythologies

It's forced diversity. Which is what this woke era is all about. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2021-04-26 at 03:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're both incorrect. In all of the original sources he was white. Mortal Kombat 1/2, Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and Mortal Kombat Mythologies.

It's forced diversity. Which is what this woke era is all about. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.
    And Johnny cage's actor played all the ninja's in the first two games, that doesn't make the characters white dude.

And Johnny cage's actor played all the ninja's in the first two games, that doesn't make the characters white dude.
    I just gave you irrefutable proof.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just gave you irrefutable proof.
    if the series stopped with the first couple games and if subzero and scorpion were white dudes to you'd have a point, but that's not the case so you don't.

he's been Asian first day one even if they didn't have actors to show case that in the first few games his name is Asian his design base was Asian and they had only added more Asian elements to that design with the continued games.

if the series stopped with the first couple games and if subzero and scorpion were white dudes to you'd have a point, but that's not the case so you don't.

he's been Asian first day one even if they didn't have actors to show case that in the first few games his name is Asian his design base was Asian and they had only added more Asian elements to that design with the continued games.
    Changing goal posts now. Ultimately, in all the original source material, he's white. Unequivocally.

7+ Year Old Account
    Changing goal posts now. Ultimately, in all the original source material, he's white. Unequivocally.
    No goal post was moved he's always been an Asian esc character even in his design phase. Just like sub zero and scorpion just because they didn't fit the designs to the actors doesn't make them all white dudes.

-Kano is the comedic replacement for Johnny Cage 100%. Couple of his lines made me laugh.. "You can barely notice it."

-Mileena was a trainwreck not in a good way. Completely flat. The longer the movie went on the more noticeable her horrendous make up was. I feel this was a terrible portrayal of that character. I expect her to be a lot more sinister and devious. Even Sindel in that awful Mortal Kombat: Annihilation had more fun than this bland junkheap.

-Sonya Blade was weaker than usual. Wasn't really down with that. (Compared to frigid temperament, guns blazing and doesn't take no for an answer.)

-Felt like there was quite a bit of miscasting in this movie.

-Disappointed that was no other outworld girls in there like Kitana and Jade.

-I honestly prefer reptile as some type of humanoid/reptile mix too, but that's a nitpick.

This is a nitpick for me and everyone has their own tastes, but the past couple of years it seems like they have been trying to make Sub-zero the aggressor. I honestly seen enough games and movie adaptations that I honestly prefer it the other way.. with Scorpion the guy you don't want to mess with. Hell spawn, burning people up. I keep getting this portrayal of him as the victim. Raging demonic force please.

Somethings I did like about the movie.. some of the fatality shout outs were nice. Some of the CGI scenes were definitely there, Goro was done well. It was nice seeing some characters I don't get to see that often in the movies like Kung Lao and Kabal.

I give the movie a 6/10. It's above average barely.. it was just nice to see a new MK movie again. CGI budget was there. Like I said some of the fatalities were nice shout out. Hope to see a continuation of a variety of characters from the roster too. Oh and the gore was there.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-04-26 at 05:04 AM.

No goal post was moved he's always been an Asian esc character even in his design phase. Just like sub zero and scorpion just because they didn't fit the designs to the actors doesn't make them all white dudes.
    "If we ignore all the original source material, he's clearly 'asian esc'" Lmao. Whatever you gotta tell yourself dude. I've proved my point and you've even admitted the original source material was all a white guy.