Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I see a lot of casuals complaining about lack of progression which is a very valid complaint. I believe the main culprit is covenant gear. There are 9 pieces of covenant gear that scale up to 197. Within a few hours of hitting 60, all that's required is to do the campaign, then knock out the 2 750 anima dungeon quests, and the 1 1250 anima sire quest from lfr. In 5 or so hours, casuals get 9 pieces of 197 gear, and a 187 weapon. Can pvp for a few hours and fill in the offslots with 197 honor gear.

This has ruined the previous pathway of progression. No need to do normals that grant 158. No need for heroics that grant 171. No need for mythic 0 that grants 184. No need for LFR (besides the sire quest, or 1 boss for a specific lego) that grant 187. No need for world quests which i believe grant 194. All of these are almost instantly obsolete within 24 hours of hitting 60.

The only "casual" content left is callings once a day for a low chance of up to 203 ilvl gear. World boss once a week for a low chance of 207. And 2 layers of torghast once a week until they get their 235 lego.

The next step for them to get gear drops, is normal raids that only drop 200/207. Or step into heroic for 213/220. M+7 for 200 drops or m+2 for a once a week reward for 200 from the vault. Or do queued pvp for slow trickle of conquest to get 200 ilvl, or get up to at least 1400 in rated for 207. Certain "casuals" have expressed some form of aversion to this content, I believe because it's unqueued.

If covenant gear got nerfed to a lower ilvl, or timegated in someway, maybe similar to the great vault with weekly capped upgrades, then casuals would get back the progression they are asking for. Would casuals prefer this progression? Or do they prefer the easy 197 gear?
    Lol. Nice bait with this trash thread. Now do the one where you troll the folks who say wow is dying. Removing one of the few legups of gear does nothing to the gear drought once you get to "end game" outside of pvp.

[QUOTE=ellieg;53154382]I do too man. But that's not queued content. Im talking about casuals that do solo stuff or push the queue button.

I mean How casual are we talking ?? Isn't that their fault if they won't even run a +7 or higher. Like that shit can't be that hard and stressful. Casual life seems boring as shit. Why stay in a situation that is that boring ??
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    You need anima for so many things frankly it seemed easier to me to just spend the anima on other things and just do a few heroics and the like to work that gear level up.
    Nope.Presuming you want to gear up, nothing else you use anima for compares. All of the sanctum stuff is optional in terms of player power.

I hit 60 on my boomkin and then finished the covenant campaign over a couple of evenings. Doing that gave me about 3.5k anima which was enough to buy/upgrade the covenant gear to 197 for the most part (I needed a bit more anima for a couple of upgrades).

All of that is fine... except that it renders a lot of the entry level max content useless for upgrades. Heroics? Give 171. M0? 184. LFR? 184. If you're embarking on a path that means normal or better raiding, fine. But for people who aren't doing that, t he covenant gear means they have no real reason to run LFR, M0-7 or heroics. Maybe once to see things, but that's it. And then... they sit or rinse and repeat.

Contrast this to past expansions where you hit max level and then heroics, M0 and LFR gave gear that helped out. You had a reason to run that stuff if you wanted to.

PS: For slots not covered by campaign gear you can queue up for epic BGs, get as ton of honor and get PVP gear that upgrades to 197.

None of this is BAD, per se, but it does mean that if you want to gear, the best and fastest way to do so is NOT to play the instanced, max level content you have access to when you ding.

[QUOTE=Aggressive;53154391]
    I do too man. But that's not queued content. Im talking about casuals that do solo stuff or push the queue button.

I mean How casual are we talking ?? Isn't that their fault if they won't even run a +7 or higher. Like that shit can't be that hard and stressful. Casual life seems boring as shit. Why stay in a situation that is that boring ??
    There's a lot of players that play that way. Way older or way younger players. Ppl with anxiety about "rated" content. Ppl who don't want to spend 30 mins applying to groups or forming one. Ppl who are also just plain bad and that stuff is above their ability.

Exactly my point lol. Just wondering if those casuals enjoy that
    I think there is a good reason so many people quit. The cov gear pretty much makes all content pointless. You get that to rank whatever and get a couple of WB's rings and trinkets then boom. You have no progression. 99% of stuff you get from callings are utter shit. If you are 40 renown and have exalted or don't care about rep then WQ's are a waste if time. Same with Torgash and the Maw. Shadowlands went from great to shit faster than any expansion thus far imho. I am out till 9.1 personally.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Nope.Presuming you want to gear up, nothing else you use anima for compares. All of the sanctum stuff is optional in terms of player power.

I hit 60 on my boomkin and then finished the covenant campaign over a couple of evenings. Doing that gave me about 3.5k anima which was enough to buy/upgrade the covenant gear to 197 for the most part (I needed a bit more anima for a couple of upgrades).

All of that is fine... except that it renders a lot of the entry level max content useless for upgrades. Heroics? Give 171. M0? 184. LFR? 184. If you're embarking on a path that means normal or better raiding, fine. But for people who aren't doing that, t he covenant gear means they have no real reason to run LFR, M0-7 or heroics. Maybe once to see things, but that's it. And then... they sit or rinse and repeat.

Contrast this to past expansions where you hit max level and then heroics, M0 and LFR gave gear that helped out. You had a reason to run that stuff if you wanted to.

PS: For slots not covered by campaign gear you can queue up for epic BGs, get as ton of honor and get PVP gear that upgrades to 197.

None of this is BAD, per se, but it does mean that if you want to gear, the best and fastest way to do so is NOT to play the instanced, max level content you have access to when you ding.
    Ty. Thats all im saying. The way you gear up when you ding 60 has completely changed compared to pretty much every previous xpac. All due to cov gear

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I really wonder why people feel the need to micro-manage even a pitiable amount of sub-200 ilvl gear.
    Because not everyone plays the game the same way as you?
    Covenant gear is a reward for completing the "single player" story, more or less.
    There are many people who play the game and don't partake in organized group content, believe it or not.
    Having them effectively max their gear so early on (people have had 197s for a month and a half, if not more) effectively ends the path for them, outside of a few WQ items and maybe LFR filler for off pieces.

The point of the thread is that casual players don't have a gear progression path outside of non-organized content, so my suggestion was a way to stretch that progression path into a longer cycle so you don't max 197 on what, 8 or 9 pieces, within a day or two, thus offering a progression path instead of an instant finish line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    And you are the best example of that toxicity if you want to increase prices of some weak starter gear.
    Hello, pot.
    If this is "weak starter gear" to you, then you aren't the target audience for it.
    Just because it doesn't benefit you doesn't mean that there aren't people whose gear cap is the covenant gear for the 9.0 patch.
    Those people have reached the renown level a long time ago and have bumped all their gear to 197, so they finished far too early in their progression.
    If these people don't do organized content, or at least often enough for a consistent progression path, then they are done.
    Hence why I addressed the point of the thread; to give a better progression path forward for casual players.
    But I guess trying to offer casuals anything around here is just a waste of time.

The OP is absolutely correct about the covenant gear obsoleting huge swathes of 9.0 content, but he's wrong in that it should be nerfed. It should never have been added in the first place, but it's too late now, and 9.1 is on the horizon anyway.

I see a lot of casuals complaining about lack of progression which is a very valid complaint. I believe the main culprit is covenant gear. There are 9 pieces of covenant gear that scale up to 197. Within a few hours of hitting 60, all that's required is to do the campaign, then knock out the 2 750 anima dungeon quests, and the 1 1250 anima sire quest from lfr. In 5 or so hours, casuals get 9 pieces of 197 gear, and a 187 weapon. Can pvp for a few hours and fill in the offslots with 197 honor gear.

This has ruined the previous pathway of progression. No need to do normals that grant 158. No need for heroics that grant 171. No need for mythic 0 that grants 184. No need for LFR (besides the sire quest, or 1 boss for a specific lego) that grant 187. No need for world quests which i believe grant 194. All of these are almost instantly obsolete within 24 hours of hitting 60.

The only "casual" content left is callings once a day for a low chance of up to 203 ilvl gear. World boss once a week for a low chance of 207. And 2 layers of torghast once a week until they get their 235 lego.

The next step for them to get gear drops, is normal raids that only drop 200/207. Or step into heroic for 213/220. M+7 for 200 drops or m+2 for a once a week reward for 200 from the vault. Or do queued pvp for slow trickle of conquest to get 200 ilvl, or get up to at least 1400 in rated for 207. Certain "casuals" have expressed some form of aversion to this content, I believe because it's unqueued.

If covenant gear got nerfed to a lower ilvl, or timegated in someway, maybe similar to the great vault with weekly capped upgrades, then casuals would get back the progression they are asking for. Would casuals prefer this progression? Or do they prefer the easy 197 gear?
    To be fair you dont evem need the covenant gear. All my toons ive jumped straight to mythic0 to gear at 150ilvl. You can start mythic+ at around 170ilvl and 2chest +10s with an average of 200 ilvl.

We can’t have a system where gearing up is too easy so casuals quit at the same time as having a system so people want to get alts into end game play for whatever reason that may be (like just getting bored of their main).

If someone gets cov gear and they choose not to do the content and I sub, then too fucking bad, WoW isn’t the game for them and MMOs isn’t the genre they’re looking for.

Casuals typically aren't doing content that requires a premade group, they queue for stuff. So while that's correct, it doesn't really apply.

The elitist attitude, "l2p or quit", etc, is delightful and I really appreciate it deeply but the bottom line is the bottom line, and Activision would strongly prefer to keep casuals paying $14.99 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    To be fair you dont evem need the covenant gear. All my toons ive jumped straight to mythic0 to gear at 150ilvl. You can start mythic+ at around 170ilvl and 2chest +10s with an average of 200 ilvl.
    I personally ding 60, spend a few hours powering to 197 ilvl, then work on getting ~+5s done for each dungeon to build up a little score. Once I get over 200 and my mains score starts showing, I go higher and higher. Trying to get at least a few 10s done by the 2nd week.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, they should take it further and introduce more automated queues in lfg while at it. I don't mind repeating the same content again and again but I do mind sitting idle getting a group together when I could be having fun playing the game instead, ie. gathering anima for another gear upgrade as I wait.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2021-04-27 at 05:32 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Wow complaining about covenant gear? I out-geared covenant gear during the week I hit 60 on two characters.

The complaint isn't about the gear, it's that they can get to 197 ilvl too quickly?

Then they can do....?

M+ is horrible for gearing up, so the choices are either raid or PvP....sounds fun except for the fun part. At least the covenant gear can help people start to cross the 200 ilvl threshhold.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Wow complaining about covenant gear? I out-geared covenant gear during the week I hit 60 on two characters.
    Literally the entire point of the thread haha

I see a lot of casuals complaining about lack of progression which is a very valid complaint. I believe the main culprit is covenant gear.
    Yep, covenant gear being capped at ilvl 197 does cut casuals off from gear progression.
    `
    If the covenant gear cap was ilvl 233 then casual players wouldn't be complaining about a lack of progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Sure, you CAN (if someone will take you to an M0 at 150). But if you want to gear up as quickly you won't do that. You'll get covenant and PVP honor gear, especially if you don't have friends who will carry you through M0 etc.

It's far too late to fix this, but what they should have done is simple - make covenant gear and honor upgradable to 184 not 197. That way it's on the same level as LFR and M0, so a player has options... want to solo? Covenant gear. Want to be able to solo, but do M0 with friends etc if they're around? Great, do that, it's the same level gear. No one around to do M0 with, but you don't really want to solo atm? Queue for LFR and get 184 gear. Having bad luck with a slot? PVP for honor and get that weapon or whatever you need.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-04-27 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Hello, pot.
    If this is "weak starter gear" to you, then you aren't the target audience for it.
    Just because it doesn't benefit you doesn't mean that there aren't people whose gear cap is the covenant gear for the 9.0 patch.
    Those people have reached the renown level a long time ago and have bumped all their gear to 197, so they finished far too early in their progression.
    If these people don't do organized content, or at least often enough for a consistent progression path, then they are done.
    Hence why I addressed the point of the thread; to give a better progression path forward for casual players.
    But I guess trying to offer casuals anything around here is just a waste of time.
    I'm not sure if you're trolling right now or being serious.

Let me repeat once again: taking something away or making it harder is not adding progression. It's removing it.

The increased anima costs / potential other costs should apply, but for items higher than 197, which sadly aren't there (and they should be).
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

I see a lot of people talking about casual players and it's really confusing why the focus is on casuals here. I'm not by any means a casual player and I love having alternative paths of progression to play that aren't just grinding out the same 8 dungeons for 2 years straight.

I want some other way that I can play the game to break up the monotony of constant dungeon runs while at the same time give me something that can actually progress my character.