Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Classic:
    1) Early leveling experience was better for groupies as 3 races were funneled into Barrens while Alliance stayed separate
    2) RFC dungeon is a better dungeon to have than Stockades for the Alliance
    3) Because Horde races were funnelled to Barrens they had easier time forming groups for WC
    4) Some quest rewards exclusive to Horde were also better like Wing Blade
    5) Horde exclusive: Warchief Blessing granting 15% attack speed is a massive advantage for melee DPS which are already favoured in Classic.

Then we had few Blizzcon incidents like "have mercy" alliance warcry and Corpsegrinder trashtalking all who chose to play alliance.

I'm sure someone who bothered to remember stuff over the years could point out few more examples.

Yes, there is bias, but it's mostly player perceived bias based on specific comparisons. In a game this size, it's inevitable that some of the items divided between the factions are unevenly preferred. BfA had a lot of complaints about mounts, with Horde getting two "raise your mount" options with daily quests, while the Alliance had a long farm grind. Horde got a portal to Mechagon while Alliance had to take longer flight paths. Alliance had a more compact capitol while Horde had to run further to get to their mission table from their bank area. Horde "lost" Rastakhan (technically not Horde at the time, but he was built up as their big ally) while Alliance only lost characters like Telaamon. Alliance tend to be less angry about their racial leaders than Horde (I don't see any hate threads for Alliance comparable to Horde hate threads about Baine). Ultimately, I think that Horde had the better story up until Cata, but the transition/early Cata events evened it out a lot more.

there is no bias

I never used to believe there was bias until the last couple xpacs. Blizzard absolutely loves the Horde. They havent done anything to even TRY to fix the balance issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    So I've been Alliance all my time on WoW and even that kinda just happened by chance. It was cause I couldn't afford the WoW Battlechest back in the day and you had to have TBC to play as the Blood Elves. So I had to settle for the Night Elves cause I really wanted to play as an Elf. However, I've only really seen the game from The Alliance point of view. That was until the allied races and I created a Horde Demon Hunter to level up and unlock the allied races.

Now a lot of folks often spoke about them preferring the Horde story lines but BFA was just so much better on the Alliance. Drustvar was an amazing questing experience. I loved the zone and Boralus was a beautiful city compared to the Pyramid thing the Horde got. I did some of the old zones like Dragonblight on the Horde and The Alliance was just so much better. The Wrathgate story line for example on the Alliance is definitely a lot better than the Horde side.

Am just wondering what parts or story lines or quests were better on the Horde compared to the Alliance? And does Blizzard really have a Horde bias?
    Are you me? Srsly could almost be my story. Alliance since vanilla, in bfa I leveled some horde toons for the first time for the wolf mount and allied race unlock is for the same of having them unlocked even if I won't play more than that BE DH

The bfa zones were better story wise by a large margin. Also the atmosphere.
    Also the horde main cities are always super weird. I don't know if you have to have some chaotic horde brain to understand them?

I don't think there is a horde bias at blizzard but they certainly have a problem with night elves. Night elves always die. Also NPC's. In cata revamp on kaldorei the NPC's always die xD and I won't start on teldrassil.
    On the other side they created night elves with all the awesome story around them and the incredible art. Maybe they have some hatelove going on for night elves
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no at same time.
    Generally speaking, horde is a pretty much blizzard household name, and it's wise to market it more than other faction. You can clearly see it in, let's say, ETC metal band where all members are horde, and sing about horde or neutral stuff.

Though, blizzard at classic/w3 era had pretty interesting ideas for let's say dwarves. You can check out Samwise artbook(Brutal) and see there is some cool interesting ideas there, but they never made it into game. Gameplay speaking, we had better horde racials in pve( Not rly number wise, but orc and troll ones being 3rd pve trinket), alliance(human racial) being better woltk-wod. 2 expansions where alliance had non developed story, yet horde had much more cities raided.

Even through you can't say that there is no very clear horde advantage in story, gameplay advantage that horde had some expansions ago, it made avalanche where most of guilds transfered horde and there is no sign that blizz will want to change it in any near future. They had a chance at end of legion with allied races, but blizz never rly gave any race(except dark iron dwarves, which are amazing, but still is dwarf customisation at the end of the day) which alliance wanted. Yet horde had one of the most anticipated races there which boosted it popularity even more.

Tldr; There is some, just because horde is blizzard household name and it's wiser to market it more, which leads to some horde bias. You don't think about wow when someone says alliance, yet you most likely will have association with blizzard when someone speaks about something gaming related and mentions horde.

It is player imagination and assumptions, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    I never used to believe there was bias until the last couple xpacs. Blizzard absolutely loves the Horde. They havent done anything to even TRY to fix the balance issues.
    They have not interfered at all, which literally means there is no bias.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyCge View Post
    Yes and no at same time.
    Generally speaking, horde is a pretty much blizzard household name, and it's wise to market it more than other faction. You can clearly see it in, let's say, ETC metal band where all members are horde, and sing about horde or neutral stuff.
    And then you have people from the other side arguing that the story is completely alliance centric. There are parts of the game where horde is more prevalent and parts where alliance is more prevalent. It is false, however, to claim that Blizzard somehow advertises the horde more, whatever that is even supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    The most recent Horde Bias was the Battle of Dazar'alor raid when Horde could choose their race and race stack to take advantage of certain strats caused through this race stacking on the last 3 bosses. Where Alliance got what was given to you and some classes could not get the priority races. This was the final straw in a good portion of the remaining high end Alliance guilds left to switch as they were playing the same game but missing half the deck.
    People were just transformed into races from the other faction. That's some proper tinfoil hat to search for biases here.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-04-28 at 06:59 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

The most recent Horde Bias was the Battle of Dazar'alor raid when Horde could choose their race and race stack to take advantage of certain strats caused through this race stacking on the last 3 bosses. Where Alliance got what was given to you and some classes could not get the priority races. This was the final straw in a good portion of the remaining high end Alliance guilds left to switch as they were playing the same game but missing half the deck.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is Horde Bias within the company. Go back and watch some of the old Blizzcon's. I recall one where every single employee was rocking a Horde shirt. The forums, including this one, went berserk. The next day they sent one guy out in an Alliance shirt who made a lame joke about their blatant bias. (If I could remember the year I'd post it... pretty sure it was during Cata though.)

Further, what does Blizzard choose to represent itself as to every single person who walks through their front door?

An Orc. -> https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...the-orc-statue

The same Orc they sent out to everyone who was subbed for 10 years straight. Sorry Alliance, have your fucking Orc statue and stfu.

They could have chosen any of their iconic characters to represent themselves - The Lich King, Illidan, Kil'jaeden or even Deathwing. But they chose an Orc. They could have had a statue depicting a human fighting an orc - you know Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans - ffs.... No, just an Orc. How about mural type statue with multiple characters showing the diversity of the world they created. But nope.

The believe an Orc best represents Blizzard.

But.... I don't really see the bias reflected in the game. I believe Blizz does their very damnedest to be fair.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Am just wondering what parts or story lines or quests were better on the Horde compared to the Alliance? And does Blizzard really have a Horde bias?
    The entire faction war storyline in WoW - which comprises half of the game (the other half being about fighting the big bad of the week - Illidan, Arthas, Deathwing, etc) - is driven by Horde actions. The Wrath through MoP faction war is driven by the actions Garrosh and the Forsaken. Half of the story of MoP is about the Horde's identity crisis. The BFA war is entirely driven by Sylvanas and Saurfang.

It is always Horde characters driving the plot. It is Thrall who goes to Outland and finds Garrosh. It is the Forsaken who gasses the Wrathgate. It was Thrall who made Garrosh warchief, Garrosh and Sylvanas who kicked off the war by invading Ashenvale/Barrens and Gilneas. It was Garrosh who escalated the war, galvanized the alliance, and split the Horde by bombing Theramore. It is Garrosh who turns Pandaria upside down looking for a superweapon. It is Garrosh who destroyed the Vale. Garrosh is why Orgrimmar is attacked. It is Garrosh who is responsible for the plot of WoD (and ultimately, the return of the Burning Legion). It is Sylvanas who is responsible for burning Teldrassil. All of the BFA cinematics are about Saurfang and the Horde struggle.

The Alliance, ofcourse, get a good storylines, but the Alliance isn't at the center of the WoW story like the Horde are. The Alliance spend 90% of the story reacting to what the Horde characters are doing. The one and only time in World of Warcraft when the Alliance were the main driver of the plot for a bit was when they raided Zandalar.

It's pretty obvious why Blizzard finds the Horde more interesting: well, the question answered itself. The Horde is more interesting. We've all seen the "humans/dwarves/elves band together to fight evil" plot done a thousand times in fantasy before. The Horde is rather unique in that regard, and is probably the most iconic faction to WoW, so ofcourse Blizzard keeps going back to the well of Horde stories.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's rather depressing that Blizzard has been slowly turning the Alliance into Horde 2.0. Blizzard's writers really became creatively bankrupt after Metzen left.

If there's any horde bias, it's definitely not in the storylines lol.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    So I've been Alliance all my time on WoW and even that kinda just happened by chance. It was cause I couldn't afford the WoW Battlechest back in the day and you had to have TBC to play as the Blood Elves. So I had to settle for the Night Elves cause I really wanted to play as an Elf. However, I've only really seen the game from The Alliance point of view. That was until the allied races and I created a Horde Demon Hunter to level up and unlock the allied races.

Now a lot of folks often spoke about them preferring the Horde story lines but BFA was just so much better on the Alliance. Drustvar was an amazing questing experience. I loved the zone and Boralus was a beautiful city compared to the Pyramid thing the Horde got. I did some of the old zones like Dragonblight on the Horde and The Alliance was just so much better. The Wrathgate story line for example on the Alliance is definitely a lot better than the Horde side.

So all of this is just pure subjectiveness.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Depends on what you consider bias

I play way more Horde than Alliance. And the result of Blizzard's "Horde Bias" completely destroyed the faction

The main city? Sieged twice
    Warchief? Changes every two years. Now they can't even get one
    Racial leaders? Neutered or killed off constantly
    Trolls have had two leaders killed off in the last few expansions. And now one of their most loved Loa is treated like crap in a very Druidic/Elven-inspired Afterlife. And the Darkspear? They... barely exist at this point pretty much.....
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Generally speaking the Alliance gets less screentime, and thats the core reason the Alliance doesnt feel like its a balanced game, Horde Bias is not soley because Horde shit gets destroyed/conflicts/development but because 65% of the games story revolves mainly around the Horde or Horde characters, in positive or negative ways.

Example:

Alliance looses several key landmark towns/cities over the last several expansions in Cata, MoP and WoD and gets a capital city sacked for several expansions while the Horde gets a built up capital and several new territories and expansions.

Horde gets significantly more character development as the Alliance main cast is basically Jaina/Anduin/Varian and Tyrande with occasional bits of Genn. Their involvement is largely spontanious and sporadic, for example, we saw literally a few occasions Tyrande has done something significant (once in BFA) and thats it, the same with Varian, his most significant trait at this point is dying.

While you almost never go an expansion without one time Lor'themar is in it, or Sylvanas, or Thrall.

Granted, you get chars like Vol'jin that literally existed as leader for one expansion only to be killed the next, but even Garrosh got more development in TBC to MoP than most of the Alliance chars combined.

This is the fundamental reason Horde bias *does* exist, blizzard seems to find more interesting stories out of the savage beast/warlike races turning them into bad guys 90% of the time or just giving them internal conflicts to overcome their own personal problems.

The Alliance for example direly needs a "dark alliance" story to balance this, something where actual char development/changes happen to the Alliance but we never get one, becuase all the stories are fundamentally about horde chars.

Even this one, Anduin gets brainwashed for Sylvanas sake, Bolvar an ex Alliance char, gets his ass kicked stupidly easy in the worst cinematic ever made.

And Saurfang got an *entire* storyline specifically devoted to him, please dont tell me that isnt biased.

The closest thing Alliance has ever got on that front was Jaina's now completed story arc in BFA, the only good thing that came out of it early on with Jaina finally finding some way forward, redeemed from the person she was, but hardened because of it.

Tyrande has largely been a background char, that even Nathanos got more love over, and Saurfang was literally the central focus to the point the Horde got a CHOICE a *CHOICE* on who to side with.

So yes, there is a bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Go read the forums from BfA and see how much screaming there is for ALLIANCE BIAS or HORDE BIAS!!!!!! (sometimes even about the same issue) The other side always thinks it's gettin the shaft.
    The thing is that one side (Horde) is just simply wrong. Its not even up for debate at this point.
    It never became clearer as in BfA, holy shit. Zone and quest design, the whole "alliance only gets recolored horses" stuff from the start, the COMPLETE STORYLINE OF THE EXPANSION...

Am just wondering what parts or story lines or quests were better on the Horde compared to the Alliance?
    I'd say the only real example of this comes from Cataclysm - things like Goblins getting Kezan, and then a tropical island, and the whole thing is one complete arc for them, plus Aszhara was redone with a fairly noticeable Goblin theming.

The other race added, Worgen? They have a great start too, in Gilneas...and then halfway through that story get dropped into the Night Elf zone of Darkshore, their new "HQ" being a tree inside of Darnassus, and not much else in terms. The rest of the Gilneas story is told through the eyes of the Forsaken story, and while as a whole the narrative flows, the experience if you're exclusively an Alliance player is jarring...much more so than if you were playing a Goblin's starting experience. In fact, Worgen might be the only race to have been added whose starting story isn't entirely experienced by them.

There's a smattering of other, smaller examples of moments where Horde quests just work better, or had notable changes, versus rehashed stuff on the Alliance side (though it's more the Alliance stuff on the Eastern Kingdoms). Remains of the park/wall in Stormwind spent a long time burning (about 5 years)...Orgrimmar had its damage from Deathwing repaired far sooner.

One of the more notable ones is going to the Twilight Highlands.

Horde get this ride on a Zeppelin with a fleet (with Garrosh present, as I recall) that then gets attacked in the air by dragons and they have to jump off, down to one of the waiting ships below.

Alliance got to ride around Stormwind on a two-seater plane with a drunken dwarven pilot, who then "kicked it into overdrive" and you blackout and wake up in the rigging of a ship already there.

Just a complete mismatch of effort there.

Though I don't think it came down to bias - just poor time management and/or planning, with various pieces of Alliance content in that expansion getting the shaft as a result. Sadly, it still seems to pop-up sometimes. Most recently with the mounts in BFA, where many of them were just horses with bits taken from other mounts already in the game. Effective use of assets? Sure. Also a mismatch of effort, when comparing to mounts created on the Horde side.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I just said main city. I didn't even mention the others. As you'd have to include Thunder Bluff when it was seized by Magatha
    Dont forget Camp Taurajo!

I doubt blizzard really favors one faction over the other. The difference is prob from multiple people/teams being responsible for the quests. I also believe its a taste thing to be honest. I liked the alliance story way more then the horde story during bfa for example while im sure many people will not agree with me on that.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatie View Post
    Grass is always greener on de other side.
    This is the only true awsner.

Most players are using subjective views to determine an objective bias... Which means, it differs from person to person. It's up to you if you think there is a bias or not. Hard for us to know if there actually is one.

I personally don't think there is bias in any direction except for Anduin...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alatie View Post
    Grass is always greener on de other side.
    Only in one wing.
    Error 404 - Signature not found