57 63.33%
  • Both

1 1.11%
  • Neither

28 31.11%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    What do you see more likely to happen within the next 8 years? California splitting into three states as they tried in 2018 OR Washington D.C and Puerto Rico becoming the 51st and 52nd US states?
    Neither. These aren't real issues that are going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Everything south of Visalia all the way to Bakersfield would drop into serious poverty. It would definitely be a welfare state.

Especially around Bakersfield, economic segregation is very real and visible there.

A majority of business investment, jobs, new parks, homes etc are built to for the westside of Bakersfield.

While the East is ignored and has been struggling with ever growing poverty and loss of opportunities for minorities.

So split up CA would be devastating for minorities in CA bottom Central Valley.
    Understood but the overall of what I said is still the same. Those minority areas in conservative country would still be screwed but with the place being divided by population and not land mass, the GOP lead areas would sink into welfare queens due to bad policies combined with a low education population leading with fewer business opportunities while the DNC ones would generally pay for themselves and survive without relying on constant hand outs just to keep their governments running.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

how does this escalate though?

if the democrats admit DC as a state and get 2 democrat senators, when the republican control congress next time, do they take a red state and carve it into 2-3 states to get 4 more republican senators? they could gerrymander texas into 3 strong red states and prevent the democrats from taking any one of them. and then the next time the democrats win congress, they carve california into 5 blue states via gerrymandering.

pretty soon we have 100 states all the size of rhode island.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    So i'm guessing the State is also in charge of the only stop light in Modoc, at the intersection of 395 and 299.

Thanks Caltrans!

The land of Gubmint Paychecks?
    Yeah, the county with one single traffic light. If there are any jobs that would match my skillset, I would move to Modoc County. I could build a palace on 40 acre woodland area there under 300k.

Most of us are unaware and take for granted what the state with the fifth largest economy in the world does for us on a daily basis. Then there is the State funding. Direct state funding account for almost 40% of Nevada County annual budget. These are the most fire prone counties in CA. Fire fighting services that they depend on like Cal Fire would go away with the state split and they would need to incur huge deficits to purchase the equipment and employ the workers to replace this state service. Then there is Caltrans, school and hospital funding, etc. They are basically rebellious teenagers that think their parents could do a better job taking care of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Yeah, the county with one single traffic light. If there are any jobs that would match my skillset, I would move to Modoc County. I could build a palace on 40 acre woodland area there under 300k.

Most of us are unaware and take for granted what the state with the fifth largest economy in the world does for us on a daily basis. Then there is the State funding. Direct state funding account for almost 40% of Nevada County annual budget. These are the most fire prone counties in CA. Fire fighting services that they depend on like Cal Fire would go away with the state split and they would need to incur huge deficits to purchase the equipment and employ the workers to replace this state service. Then there is Caltrans, school and hospital funding, etc. They are basically rebellious teenagers that think their parents could do a better job taking care of them.
    I share a similar dream . I'd love to live out in Alturas, Bishop, if it had a steady paycheck. Sorry, but Susanville has been discovered.
    When I was about to lose my job during the Covid, I was checking the job posting on Caltrans. Fish and Wildlife also has postings out there. Thinking about that as an option for semi-retirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

if the democrats admit DC as a state and get 2 democrat senators, when the republican control congress next time, do they take a red state and carve it into 2-3 states to get 4 more republican senators? they could gerrymander texas into 3 strong red states and prevent the democrats from taking any one of them. and then the next time the democrats win congress, they carve california into 5 blue states via gerrymandering.

Yes, how does it escalate?

Because in order to do that, you need not just the approval of the US Congress, but the state Legislature as well. And if you think you're going to get a majority of politicians to intentionally vote to decrease their slice of the political pie, you're just as crazy as your dreams of civil war would suggest.

I don't believe it of any group of politicians, but assuredly not the GoP...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, good luck with that. Split the electoral vote of Texas... I’m sure the state of Austin Texas will continue to vote GOP... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yeah, good luck with that. Split the electoral vote of Texas... I’m sure the state of Austin Texas will continue to vote GOP... lol
    The GOP would just gerrymander Austin such that it votes red no matter what. Maybe divide Austin city limits into 3 states to neuter it totally if they must. Once we start going down this path of creating new states, it won't stop with DC.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP would just gerrymander Austin such that it votes red no matter what. Maybe divide Austin city limits into 3 states to neuter it totally if they must. Once we start going down this path of creating new states, it won't stop with DC.
    How do you gerrymander the electoral vote?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How do you gerrymander the electoral vote?
    The same way you gerrymander anything else. Create 3 states where the electoral districts guarantee minority ruled red states, then send GOP senators to DC.

I fail to see how giving DC statehood is going to trigger a cascading event where we arbitrarily decide to double or even triple the number of states we have. seems like some major coping trying to mask itself.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I fail to see how giving DC statehood is going to trigger a cascading event where we arbitrarily decide to double or even triple the number of states we have. seems like some major coping trying to mask itself.
    Its the GOPs fear that it will ensure they can’t retake the senate which is the entire reason they admitted Wyoming even with less than 25,000 people, broke up Dakota into 2 states for the added senators and admitted 3 other states all at once because it gave them enough senators to keep power.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.