Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    it was, and the people who dismiss it clearly weren't there for it. communities were 1000x better, and tbh, still are if you play those retro games.

even in classic, the community was better. retail's community is like twitter, the game. Absolutely a cesspool
    What a load of nostalgic bull...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Yea, getting heals or buffs from randoms is quite nice, but if someone whispered me and sounded passive-agressive about me not throwing a few heals (especially since I don't even see your healthbar), I would just straight up ignore you. If someone is so bothered by not getting automatically helped by passer-bys that they decide to whine to me about it, I won't be using my energy to reply and do something about it..

One good reason also to not constantly help passer-bys is just "I didn't feel like it". For whatever reason that might be.
    Pally wasn't a passerby, he was in the fight. Jesus people, read before you comment.

I'd have interpreted your whisper as an attack, OP.

Odds are that said paladin was multi-tasking watching a tv show, or simply really not on your skill level and not used to keeping an eye out for taunting/off-healing/CCing and it wasn't any personal attack, laziness or "not giving a damn" when he didn't assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Pally wasn't a passerby, he was in the fight. Jesus people, read before you comment.
    They were also hitting the same target so the paladin knew he needed heals/help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I mean we live in a world where everything is repackaged, rebranded, and resold to us over and over again as the next big thing because it's 2% faster or has 10 less calories. Not sure what this has to do with the topic but the thread kind of felt like a stand on a box and say something type of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    What a load of nostalgic bull...
    By all means, go play one of those retro titles like wow classic, everquest, MUDs, etc...

most are free so you can dip your toes in and see for yourself that, yes, the older communities were and still are vastly superior human beings than the toxic trollfest that is modern mmorpgs like retail wow.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Feeling a bit down, so sorry for this blogpost.

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

"I wasn't aware I was signing up for LFR when I came down to the Maw"
    "If you can't handle your own business you have no business playing, go die"
    And some third line I can't remember.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    According to the responses, you have to bow at the feet of your fellow players, avoiding not wording things that might offend, and even apologize for dying as it affected another's gameplay. WTF is wrong with these people?????? You are fine OP, it's these freaking people with their head's up their bums.

Feeling a bit down, so sorry for this blogpost.

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

"I wasn't aware I was signing up for LFR when I came down to the Maw"
    "If you can't handle your own business you have no business playing, go die"
    And some third line I can't remember.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    I stopped careing when lfr dropped i can now beat the expansion whenever i feel like and not deal with guilds or even friends its a win win in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    They were also hitting the same target so the paladin knew he needed heals/help.
    Only if you have activated the target's target option in your UI. I have it because of reasons, but I could imagine some people do not.
    Anyway, this is a reason why I only do such things in a group. You cannot expect people who just engage the boss without a group to see how well you are doing.

I'd say when Blizzard decided to start selling gold themselves.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    By all means, go play one of those retro titles like wow classic, everquest, MUDs, etc...

most are free so you can dip your toes in and see for yourself that, yes, the older communities were and still are vastly superior human beings than the toxic trollfest that is modern mmorpgs like retail wow.
    Oh my god, could you *be* more of a boomer?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

When did players stop caring?
    Yesterday, I guess

I think more than any other reason; more than any fucking interference from Activision or any design choices; more than anything, the reason why WoW isn't as good anymore is because the community is, on the whole, pretty obnoxious. That's the biggest reason for it's decline.

I'm fortunate enough to have a group of good guildies and folks I play with so I don't really need to interact with much of the wider community, thankfully.

5+ Year Old Account
    Wait, they weren't even in a group? Or they were? Because if they weren't then this is way beyond expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    In FFXIV you'd get a ban for that. Mind your own business, the guy does not owe you shit.

If you want a party support, make a party. Just some random passerby dude? Yeah, he can practically do whatever he wants and it's how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    how do you know that? you dont know his UI...
    bcs by default, you dont see target of target, you have to turn it on, its likely he does have that on, but its not impossible he does not...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijello View Post
    According to the responses, you have to bow at the feet of your fellow players, avoiding not wording things that might offend, and even apologize for dying as it affected another's gameplay. WTF is wrong with these people?????? You are fine OP, it's these freaking people with their head's up their bums.
    and according to you if first words ever spoken to you by someone are passive aggressive bullshit you should be nice, appologise for not going out of your way to do something thats not your responsibility and what the person at the time didnt even ask for...

and im not even touching the incredible self-centered nature it takes to actualy make a post about situation you partialy caused instead of shruging shoulder and moving on...

btw, we only know one side of story, knowing how people like OP think, its more likely he was way more rude and the pal was way more polite, but like this he thought people might pat him on back instead of telling him he was wrong... well he miscalculated
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-04-30 at 06:12 PM.

I'd honestly had assumed you were being a jerk by saying that, but I also would have healed you as ret, so you wouldn't have said it lol. When I still played. I'd heal anyone I saw doing anything because, like... Ret just bleeds healing sometimes. May as well pass the love.

Spoiler: players never cared. It's a vidya game.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Spoiler: players never cared. It's a vidya game.
    Spoiler to what? Also, people do. This group just didn't.

This thread is a weird hodgepodge of expectation vs reality. OP put no effort into asking for help. But expected it. yes, it could have been provided. But also, people are on auto pilot for this game. If you've been actively playing. You should know better.

Wait, target of target is still a thing?
    Shit, I don't think I've played with that since I got Xperl back in Wrath.
    If I were in the maw, playing a dps spec and a druid got "mad" at me for not off healing him on a whim, I'd chalk it up as "Damn, he's having a bad day, boss probably yelled at him. I'ma head out"
    Even when I do solo content on my druid as resto I only ever pop efflo and wildgrowth, only direct healing if we're in a group cause I can't be asked to play with all health bars up, it clutters my screen.