Thread: [TV] Invincible

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Ennis put Billy up on a pedestal? I don’t think so. Ennis is also the guy that stated the Punisher is a serial killer. Neither are the hero.

Also the Boys isn’t primarily a super hero satire although viewers of the TV show can be forgiven for thinking that.
    I haven't really read his opinions of his own work, but yeah, I think the Boys puts Billy up on a pedestal. Even in the end, he's ultimately the one who stops himself. He set up the safeguard in having Hughie around, he even had to hold Hughie's hand through the process of killing him. If Billy wasn't up on that pedestal, he wouldn't be helping Hughie do the right thing. The book is littered with little moments like that and they're too cutesy and ultimately portray Billy as this flawed hero when he's more of a monstrous bastard whose evil was sometimes coincidentally helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been lukewarm on this series for most of the season. A friend of mine recommended it insistantly, but I just thought it was a slightly more violent teen titans, and I just can't stand teenage romance drama. Its just so cheesy and frustrating to watch the constant awkwardness. Its made me really dislike Mark a lot. He's probably my least favorite character, and I just kind of tune out whenever Mark is not in costume, or interacting with characters that I do like. I really hope he gets better because right now he's just an unlikable Peter Parker copy.

Moaning aside, episode 7 was superb imo. Episode 6 didn't work that well for me, so I was basically on the cusp of quitting the show, but episode 7 won me over and I'm excited for the finale this week. Took the show from a 5/10 to a 8/10. Thats how much I liked it.

Especially loved the Robot clone arc. I've been fascinated by the philosophical implication of cloning, and the notion of uploading ones mind to a computer to outlive our mortality in a digital space. This was a fun take on that.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You asked for satire. Every single incarnation in Invincible is basically a caricature of a pre-existing property. What are caricatures? Right, satire.
    synonyms/similar words =/= exact same thing
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    For the first time I'm not at all a fan of the expanded changes. Omniman going out of his way to kill as many people as possible really change's the tone compared to the comic where there just collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    For the first time I'm not at all a fan of the expanded changes. Omniman going out of his way to kill as many people as possible really change's the tone compared to the comic where there just collateral damage.
    Interesting, I couldn't be more the opposite. It really drives home his point - and it is a point he makes in the comics. What they did was make it all much more visceral, and underscored how monstrous his views are. After watching the first season I think they've taken one of my favorite comic series and dramatically improved on it. It hits the same notes while pounding them with more emotional force.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Interesting, I couldn't be more the opposite. It really drives home his point - and it is a point he makes in the comics. What they did was make it all much more visceral, and underscored how monstrous his views are. After watching the first season I think they've taken one of my favorite comic series and dramatically improved on it. It hits the same notes while pounding them with more emotional force.
    I don't know this turn seems alot more mean spirted then any thing he did in the comics where it more so felt like he just didn't consider the people not that he actively wanted as many dead as possible.

Its the difference between apathy and spite really and I think spite means makes the later story beats harder to believe.

Ew, Omniman fucked his pet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, just enogh gore for last episode
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved this last episode. The train scene was amazing.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

thought the omni-man reveal was a bit weak/poorly explained. Maybe later seasons will explain his action, motivation and timing a bit better. (Is this a spoiler free zone?^^)

But otherwise this season was really great.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    thought the omni-man reveal was a bit weak/poorly explained. Maybe later seasons will explain his action, motivation and timing a bit better. (Is this a spoiler free zone?^^)

But otherwise this season was really great.
    Really?

His mission as a solo agent of Viltrum is to prep the Earth for subjugation, because it was too costly and slow to move the entire army in for every new planet to be acquired.

That means he takes a slower approach, feeling things out, laying groundwork for the people to accept Viltrum's rule, by both eliminating any extant guardians who pose any even potential threats to Viltrumites (hence killing the Guardians), AND maintaining a cover and guiding society to a position where it relies on powered saviours to protect them (why he didn't kill the Guardians the moment they showed up with powers).

His actions and motivation are entirely summed up there.

Timing isn't explicit, but we can draw conclusions. Why'd he target the Guardians now, and not earlier? Why has he been pushing Mark so damned hard, trying to get him up to speed super quickly? I think it's because Nolan knows exactly when the Viltrumites are showing up to take global control, and it's soon. No more than a few months, and probably closer to weeks if not days. If Mark wasn't able to go toe-to-toe with a millenias-old Viltrumite warrior, he'd be killed off as chaff like anyone else who posed a threat. If he can prove himself "worthy", maybe they'll overlook his halfbreed status. Killing the Guardians is what kicked everything off, and Nolan chose that timing.

It's probably where Nolan went; to meet with whatever advance force was coming. Maybe to plead for his son's life. Maybe to distance himself so his emotions stop getting the better of him. Gotta wait for S2 to find out, I guess, since I'm probably not reading the comic between now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good news is we have at least 2 more seasons on the way, so anyone who hasn’t read the comics will get another nice chunk of the story. I’d love for them to do the entire run, but we’ll see.
    Yeah, I'm enjoying the adaptation enough I don't want to spoil it for myself by reading the comic. I'll finish it in this medium before I pick up the other.

God dammit! the show is over already? TV shows are getting shorter and shorter remember when it used to be 20ish episodes to cover for 6 months? after that most shows were cut to 13 episodes and now 6-8, soon we'll have 3 episode seasons.
    Last edited by Khain; 2021-05-01 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    God dammit! the show is over already? TV shows are getting shorter and shorter remember when it used to be 20ish episodes to cover for 6 months? after that most shows were cut to 13 episodes and now 6-8, soon we'll have 3 episode seasons.
    Network shows had all those filler episodes so they could reach whatever the magic number of episodes was for long term syndication runs on other channels.

Animation isn’t cheap, it’s not on network TV, and it’s basically hour long episodes(if you account for commercial breaks that are absent). I’d love for 10-12 episodes in a season though.
    Invincible is not top notch animation but at least it's not 20 min episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing with modern streaming.

The shows end up as long as they need to be to tell the story, without 20 filler episodes that don't advance any plot or character development. So they can focus on quality, and not filling broadcasters' timeslot commitments.

Season 1 of Castlevania was 3 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Really?

His mission as a solo agent of Viltrum is to prep the Earth for subjugation, because it was too costly and slow to move the entire army in for every new planet to be acquired.

That means he takes a slower approach, feeling things out, laying groundwork for the people to accept Viltrum's rule, by both eliminating any extant guardians who pose any even potential threats to Viltrumites (hence killing the Guardians), AND maintaining a cover and guiding society to a position where it relies on powered saviours to protect them (why he didn't kill the Guardians the moment they showed up with powers).

His actions and motivation are entirely summed up there.

Timing isn't explicit, but we can draw conclusions. Why'd he target the Guardians now, and not earlier? Why has he been pushing Mark so damned hard, trying to get him up to speed super quickly? I think it's because Nolan knows exactly when the Viltrumites are showing up to take global control, and it's soon. No more than a few months, and probably closer to weeks if not days. If Mark wasn't able to go toe-to-toe with a millenias-old Viltrumite warrior, he'd be killed off as chaff like anyone else who posed a threat. If he can prove himself "worthy", maybe they'll overlook his halfbreed status. Killing the Guardians is what kicked everything off, and Nolan chose that timing.

It's probably where Nolan went; to meet with whatever advance force was coming. Maybe to plead for his son's life. Maybe to distance himself so his emotions stop getting the better of him. Gotta wait for S2 to find out, I guess, since I'm probably not reading the comic between now and then.
    Yeah, I like the general idea of him pretending to be a hero while secretly preparing the planet for takeover.

But the earlier episodes hinted at some sort of cause and effect between Mark gaining his powers and him murdering the Guardians and an inner struggle between his life on earth and his duty to his home planet. I got the feeling that he was killing his friends, people he actually cared about, because Mark got his powers.

And then the last episode made it seem like he is just a full Vultron supremacist who never cared about anything on earth, the timing on the murders were a random coincidence or something not yet explained and his inner conflict was mostly about wether he cares about Mark or not.

It didn't really fit with the more nuanced Nolan from the first episodes and I couldnt quite tell wether he was lying to himself because he felt ashamed of his terrible actions or if he was lying to Mark because he wants him to fit in with the Vultromites when they arrive or if he was supposed to be just pretending in the earlier episodes and all those earlier szenes were just supposed to confuse the audience.

So the major theme and mystery of this Season seemed a bit unresolved to me and then the season 2 "trailer" implies that we won't really hear from Nolan again until later in the show. And I think it would have been stronger, if they had picked one answer and stuck with it through the entire season.

(but again, I really liked the characters, the team-team plotline, everything about Mark in general and the style of the show, so I'm definetely tuning in again next year )
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I watched the first episode recently and come down on the side of really bad. It's a poor copy of the edginess of Garth Ennis, shocking to be shocking IMO. And the animation quality is about 30 years out-of-date, at least. I just didn't enjoy it at all. But then, I'm not looking for gratuitous gore and shock in my superhero stories, I'll take Spider-Man and Superman and the like any day over this.
    You DO know that Ennis The Boys is from 2006 and Invincible is from 2003 right mate? If 1 copyed 1 here it would be Ennis. And the quality being 30 years out of date is so fucking ridiculous that i wonder what shit you have watched if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    But the earlier episodes hinted at some sort of cause and effect between Mark gaining his powers and him murdering the Guardians and an inner struggle between his life on earth and his duty to his home planet. I got the feeling that he was killing his friends, people he actually cared about, because Mark got his powers.
    He killed the guardians because if they teamed up with Mark they could potentially pose threat to his power. You see how fucked up Nolan gets after killing the guardians in the first episode. I appreciate the fact that Omniman is very powerful but not invulnerable like Superman.
    Last edited by Khain; 2021-05-01 at 10:19 PM.