Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    A simple google search shows [...]
    Thanks? I was asking if you had information on margin (WoW specifically), because it's aggregated (or blended?) on their quarterly, and the language calls out modeling more of their IPs after COD. Gross sales doesn't answer that question. (Also, meaningless add: Are you using the USD as the median?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats just to play, nothing optional like cosmetics. How are you defending that.
    $410 dollars for two years worth of entertainment isn't that expensive. It is not greedy. The point is you keep calling everything else as "not greedy" just so you can single out WoW. It doesn't matter if you agree that Fifa is insidious you literally said it wasn't greedy. While making the argument that $410 every two years is the one of the greediest things in the gaming industry.

Your argument also ignores that even if it was a freemium game it would still charge for expansions, still have a subscription, and likely have an expanded store. But somehow all of that doesn't apply to greed because the developers do not start with a B and end with a D.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Blizzard has kept the upgrades for the Digtal Deluxe version on the store since WoD.
    Again, this is such a huge for something that anybody with common sense wouldn't argue about.

The mounts from the 15th Anniversary CE aren't even available in Classic, understand the very basic concept that the 15th Anniversary has no connection whatsoever to the Classic release, it's about the Vanilla launch, not Classic launch.
    You have no idea if Blizzard rejected adding mounts or just didn't think of it.
    I am absolutely baffled at the notion that someone would even present this as a legitimate possibility.

They have been putting pets on the CE since Vanilla launch, now you want to tell that there might be a possibility they came up with putting pets on it but mounts didn't cross their mind until MoP?
    This is complete horseshit and you know it.
    It doesn't matter if it isn't a direct cash shop it still refutes your point that Blizzard had something against selling rewards at the time.
    It still refutes the point that they did not put up any mounts onto a cashshop, the fact that it's linked to another Blizzard product is still a difference.
    It at the very least serves the purpose of promoting another WoW related product, which this mount does not do.

And the point that it wasn't part of the original CE still stands, it baffles me beyond belief that because the TCG was added in TBC now serves as justification to add additional MTX (after all, they're not putting up TCG Items to somehow be "authentic" with original TBC) to a product that frankly most people are already paying more than enough, as the option to opt into a sub for Classic only Servers does not exist - despite Blizzard outright stating that most Classic players exclusively engage in Classic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I am absolutely baffled at the notion that someone would even present this as a legitimate possibility.
    You are baffled that your word isn't factual just because you've typed it? You have no idea the reasons why Blizzard didn't add a mount to the collectors editions. It isn't complete BS because we know they actively thought about selling mounts and using them as digital rewards. You have no way of knowing what the actual reasoning was. Just as I have no way. Which means all possibilities need to be left on the table rather then you arbitrarily deciding facts.

The TCG loot cards were for all intents and purposes a cash shop. They drove sales of the TCG and only had value in WoW. Their only purpose was to artificially inflate TCG sales and many of them ended up on third party sites for direct sales. Blizzard kept doing so until Cataclysm (they even included booster packs in the CE). It doesn't matter if it was part of the original collector edition or not. All that matters is that Blizzard was selling digital rewards since the beginning of the game.

Including a very prestigious and sought after mount the Spectral Tiger. People were reselling them for $1,000 at the time (it's current price is $12,000+) and each box (24 packs per box) looks to have been $140. Blizzard, and everyone else, knew that people were buying it for the loot cards.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-05-01 at 01:00 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

They....Are...Just...Pixels........... Ffs

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    They....Are...Just...Pixels........... Ffs
    That is what they said on retail before boosts and tokens were added.

PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

They have been putting pets on the CE since Vanilla launch, now you want to tell that there might be a possibility they came up with putting pets on it but mounts didn't cross their mind until MoP?
    This is complete horseshit and you know it.
    It’s also possible that they just didn’t have the tech/dev bandwidth, but had thought about it. Monetization was in a different state at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DazManianDevil View Post
    Off topic, I am glad to see Blizzard giving Alliance paladins access to Seal of Blood to try and curb the inevitable faction balance issues. Was it in BC? No, but I'm okay with #SomeChanges
    That's why I'm interested in Classic TBC. Private servers do this because everyone ends up going horde, so to try and balance this they gave Alliance Paladins Seal of Blood. This wasn't original but as someone who plays a Ret Paladin, I'm OK with this. Private servers get it wrong since they don't have a .5 second delay on spells, so Seal Twisting isn't a thing except when Seal of Command procs, then you can twist a Seal. I never thought Blizzard would do this, but here I am wrong about that.

- - - Updated - - -

What's sad is that Captian Grim has predicted this. The allure of money was too great for Blizzard. So is the Demon Hunter unlockable for $60?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavebossa View Post
    Funny thing is, texture packs for some games (like Monster Hunter) are already DLC. Free DLC sure, but still DLC. I agree with you, the future is a la carte gaming sadly.
    Makes works out well with MHW because if someone doesn't have the machine to run the texture packs, they can save themselves GBs of storage space. I wouldn't be against this kind of practice in other games too. Some have lower tier hardware or don't care as much about graphic fidelity and could save some download costs (yeah data caps exists) and hard drive space in today's area where games take up just shy of 100 GB easily.

OT: Still wondering what has been confirmed by Blizzard.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that this is (TBC) Classic, where a WoW Token does not exist, you'd need to play Retail in the first place and make gold in order to take advantage of this.
    Do you really think they'd add the Store to TBC without the Token though? Would seem like a pointless waste of time changing the entire interface to remove it. Though Token being in TBC Classic would be nice.

WoW has an extremely high profit margin, and yes, they are absolutely greedy with the amount of places they try to draw revenue from
    did you even try to THINK before speaking/writing? if you did, you would manage to figure out why they added MTX, bcs for 17years all costs they have have risen rapidly (just think about your personal living costs risen in past 20y, its the same but MUCH bigger numbers) yet the subscription is roughly the same...
    could they keep the game up without increasing sub or MTX? i dont know, i dont have the internal accounting information you surely have since you are making claims regarding that... question is why should they? they are not charity, they are BUSINESS, their purpose as it is with every business is to MAKE MONEY...

now to wow being expensive... im from post comunist country (a.k.a. poor country) and i dont think wow is expensive...
    and comparing it to games that you can finish in a day (or that are multiplayer based where the whole content is few maps) is just soo completely stupid, if you started new account in wow today determined to do EVERYTHING ingame (obviously only things that are still possible) you would not be done in year... much better comparison is to other MMORPG, and please if you know one of at least simmilar quality to wow that doesnt have cash shop with literaly thousands of items, or some sort of sub please, let me know, id love to try it...

btw as for only wow going game+sub+cash shop, i might be wrong as its some time since i tried, but doesnt ESO do the same? i believe you can play it without sub but then you HAVE TO buy DLCs, and the game is quite restricted...

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to be able to purchase a fully geared out level 70 with epic flying and a custom store bought flying mount in Classic TBC.

Everyone and their mammy has already leveled 200 characters. It's just milking people at this point. Thank god for the boost. Anyone crying about it is poor, simple as!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Do you really think they'd add the Store to TBC without the Token though? Would seem like a pointless waste of time changing the entire interface to remove it. Though Token being in TBC Classic would be nice.
    I'm not going to comment on the WoW Token because it's another debate, but for now, the token doesn't exist and Blizzard has stated no plans to add them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    It’s also possible that they just didn’t have the tech/dev bandwidth, but had thought about it. Monetization was in a different state at the time.
    They just could have handled things the same way they did with the Vanilla CE pets, the CE contains a code, talk to an NPC ingame, enter the code, get the mount.
    The TBC collectors edition pet was just sent to all of your characters after you've added the CE to your account, why shouldn't the same method work for a mount?

C'mon, the idea of technical limitations is as dumb as saying that they didn't consider mounts for the CE.
    You are baffled that your word isn't factual just because you've typed it? You have no idea the reasons why Blizzard didn't add a mount to the collectors editions. It isn't complete BS because we know they actively thought about selling mounts and using them as digital rewards. You have no way of knowing what the actual reasoning was. Just as I have no way. Which means all possibilities need to be left on the table rather then you arbitrarily deciding facts.
    Because believing that a collective of people that has the mental capacity to a add pet to a collector's edition but not a mount until they're at their 5(!) Collector's edition is complete insanity.

Your entire arguement is built upon the fact that there is to proof of it being untrue, yet very basic common sense tells you that it's untrue.
    The TCG loot cards were for all intents and purposes a cash shop.
    It wasn't, it was still a separate game.
    Including a very prestigious and sought after mount the Spectral Tiger. People were reselling them for $1,000 at the time (it's current price is $12,000+) and each box (24 packs per box) looks to have been $140. Blizzard, and everyone else, knew that people were buying it for the loot cards.
    ...Right, that's why Blizzard also chose to discontinue the TCG shortly before they announced Hearthstone?

Let me guess, Blizzards conscience got the better of them after nearly 7 years and thus chose to make less money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    did you even try to THINK before speaking/writing?
    This dude didn't, amiright guys? LOL
    if you did, you would manage to figure out why they added MTX, bcs for 17years all costs they have have risen rapidly (just think about your personal living costs risen in past 20y, its the same but MUCH bigger numbers) yet the subscription is roughly the same...
    Keep in mind most MMO's and online games don't have a subscription model. On top of that you have private servers which operate for free and only ask for donations to keep it running. What games have you seen that require a subscription fee and micro-transactions? You probably have too many fingers on one hand to count this.

could they keep the game up without increasing sub or MTX? i dont know, i dont have the internal accounting information you surely have since you are making claims regarding that... question is why should they? they are not charity, they are BUSINESS, their purpose as it is with every business is to MAKE MONEY...
    Keep in mind computer hardware has changed a lot since 2007, and what once needed a room of computers to run a realm can now be done by one server blade with room to spare. Just because inflation goes up, doesn't mean costs don't go down. What exactly is the money going towards anyway? Server maintenance for a game that's long been finished for 14 years? Development costs that aren't happening because the game is finished? The electrical cost they write off on their taxes?

Face it, these fees are just putting someones grand kids through college. Ivy league colleges.
    now to wow being expensive... im from post comunist country (a.k.a. poor country) and i dont think wow is expensive...
    I will obviously read this statement without doubting it for a second.
    and comparing it to games that you can finish in a day (or that are multiplayer based where the whole content is few maps) is just soo completely stupid,
    I don't have a problem with finishing games in a day as long as I enjoyed it. Blizzards idea of extending gameplay is azerite farming.
    btw as for only wow going game+sub+cash shop, i might be wrong as its some time since i tried, but doesnt ESO do the same? i believe you can play it without sub but then you HAVE TO buy DLCs, and the game is quite restricted...
    1 year WoW subscription is $180, so unless ESO's DLCs add up to $180 I think those players are fine.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    This is meant to be TBC and part of TBC is seeing everyone running around on a dull grey Kodo and then suddenly bammmm you see a Zulian Tiger or Ashes of A'lar.
    The way I remember it everyone was going around on a white gryphon then BAM everyone is on a netherdrake overnight xD

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We play classic because we want the real WoW.

DLCs are not part of the real WoW.. mounts are meant to be unique, rare drops. Not bought in a shop...

That is why.

That being said, I do not care about it. I did play BC when it did matter, now I will play again, but only because retail is not really WoW, and I want to play WoW. I might even get it, as I planned to boost a character anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    DLCs are not part of the real WoW.. mounts are meant to be unique, rare drops. Not bought in a shop...
    TCG Loot cards would indicate otherwise. https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Loot_cards

Even if you want to go from the start of first mount in WotLK (April, 15, 2010) that is still 11 years of what you call "DLC". It is part of the real wow as much as anything else. Blizzard also sold the first pets in November of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The way I remember it everyone was going around on a white gryphon then BAM everyone is on a netherdrake overnight xD
    Pretty much this. If I'm not mistaken, only 3 mounts exist in BC that come from dungeons/raids. The rest are Gladiator rewards or purchased for in-game currency.
    "Hey guys, I have the cenarion Hippogriff. I either spent weeks in Steam Vaults, or paid off a chinese bot farm to get armaments. Woop woop" /s
    Me riding around on a goofy lookin' Warpstalker doesn't diminish the work you put in to earn a War Talbuk, it just doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DazManianDevil View Post
    Pretty much this. If I'm not mistaken, only 3 mounts exist in BC that come from dungeons/raids. The rest are Gladiator rewards or purchased for in-game currency.
    "Hey guys, I have the cenarion Hippogriff. I either spent weeks in Steam Vaults, or paid off a chinese bot farm to get armaments. Woop woop" /s
    Me riding around on a goofy lookin' Warpstalker doesn't diminish the work you put in to earn a War Talbuk, it just doesn't.
    I mean, I don’t know about anyone else, but I always confused the Celestial Steed with Invincible, and I saw a flying pig and thought “what Mythic boss dropped that?!”

/s

It looks like the two "TBC" mounts are actually added to the patch 9.1 PTR

wouldn't it be funny if they were retail mounts all along, and not TBC Classic mounts

all those people whined and cried and canceled their subs for nothing

lmao