Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    one thing that post doesn't really mention is you're basically STEALING from the artist on top of everything else.
    Who's stealing from artists?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    mostly bots on social media that tag art for NFT's or merch without the artist even knowing. using the Mona Lisa is kind of a bad example given it is such a well known piece it practically falls under fair use. most artists don't have anywhere near that sort of recognition so theft is a thing they deal with constantly.

3+ Year Old Account
    That's kinda cute.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    most artists don't have anywhere near that sort of recognition so theft is a thing they deal with constantly.
    That particular image is in constant use... How would anyone know it's theft?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Tons of people do. There’s Chinese companies selling artwork of mine as posters and on clothing.

It’s why I’ve had to get a lawyer that specializes in copyright law.
    My question was directed at how it's done via NFTs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That particular image is in constant use... How would anyone know it's theft?
    I mean if you want to spend 500K on an image you can get for free off google then I don't really care. the issue isn't with "well known" pieces it's everyone else who works or makes art for a living that don't have that same level of fame, art theft is a thing they deal with constantly. for the 3rd time NFT's are just another way for POS's on social media to steal work from others so they can make a buck from stolen work.

- - - Updated - - -

the same way they steal images for merchandise.

A friend and I have a small webcomic we run. It barely has enough income to cover the site costs, so when you account for the time we put into it, we're making a loss.

Someone has made NFT's for all our strips and has been trying to sell them to us. We took some advice and got a legal firm involved.

Lucky for us that neither one of us relies on the comic as our primary income, but if we did we'd be very easy targets for people who want to claim digital ownership of our property and, effectively, hold it to ransom. That's a huge problem for smaller artists and creators who may not know that others are profiting from their work or be in a position to take legal advice on the matter.

If it would be "stealing" is up for debate, but there are people creating NFT's of work that doesn't belong to them and trying to make money on it. It certainly seems like some form of criminal act from my point of view - Though I admit I'm biased on that point.

Some people have way too much money, imagine waking up and wanting to spend 500,000$ on a meme lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Claim they have the original NFT, even if it's one they just made up

Sell that

???

Profit

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    She's over 18 now so her parents shouldn't have any involvement with this transaction (unless her father wants to be a dick about it). Now just gotta convert the Eth to $'s so it's actually usable.
    Hope she held some back or she's going to be in for quite the surprise come Jan 2022. hen the tax man cometh

Now you can resell it if you want. Or you can own it, knowing you have the real version and, much like artwork itself, all other copies aren't worth shit and have no value.
    Artwork has value in that one is truly real, the artist having actually put brush to canvas and applied the paint. There can be reproductions but they're not the same thing as the original and even an attempt to forge a painting won't be a true 1:1 copy, barring the introduction of replicators from Star Trek.
    One piece of digital art is as real as the next.
    Copy
    Paste
    There's no variation in the pixels that makes either more or less authentic than the other, the only thing giving one value over the other is belief. This is the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone's aware there's no actual value to it, but as long as they think they're not going to be the sucker left holding onto it when the value crashes they'll play along.

She's over 18 now so her parents shouldn't have any involvement with this transaction (unless her father wants to be a dick about it). Now just gotta convert the Eth to $'s so it's actually usable.
    Her father took the photograph, so typically it would be him having the copyright. Children would have the parents control their commercial image rights. You can assume that he just gave himself permission and so on and so forth. That she gets anything out of this is nice, but she's not the artist and shouldn't have an "automatic copyright" to this as you seem to assume.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    God NFTs are the dumbest scam I think I've seen in a long time.
    Christ almighty.
    Dumber than cryptocurrency? I'm looking forward to when that card house collapses and the stupid lose their life earnings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Claim they have the original NFT, even if it's one they just made up

Sell that

???

Profit
    You don't understand, clearly you are not physically able to make another "original NFT". That's not how this works, is it?

/s
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    If it would be "stealing" is up for debate, but there are people creating NFT's of work that doesn't belong to them and trying to make money on it. It certainly seems like some form of criminal act from my point of view - Though I admit I'm biased on that point.
    I don’t know the law on these things, but since an NFT does not grant ownership, nor does it give any rights to the original work. Can the NFT it self be seen as transformative art? What are you actually buying?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You don't understand, clearly you are not physically able to make another "original NFT". That's not how this works, is it?

/s
    I don’t see why not... I’m sure an NFT of the original NFT, would be expensive.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Well, one "benefit" is you don't need insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, one "benefit" is you don't need insurance.
    Thats a trick question, there's no insurance in Imagination Land.

Here's some kids talking to a very reputable NFT art dealer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I don’t know the law on these things, but since an NFT does not grant ownership, nor does it give any rights to the original work. Can the NFT it self be seen as transformative art? What are you actually buying?

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t see why not... I’m sure an NFT of the original NFT, would be expensive.
    No, the joke I (badly) tried to make was that the original, orginal is an image copy on the SD card of the photographer's cam. Or possibly a negative. This EFT is far from being "the original". It is merely "the first" such EFT. And since the copyright was retained, the family could reproduce as many EFTs as they want, could they not?

These EFTs are a concept I don't understand. I mean, I get it, it's a unique digital file that cannot be copied. Like, that one specific file. But you can create other, identical files just like it. Flood the market with desaster girl EFTs, half a million a pop. Seems like if you don't destroy the original, this is pointless. I get the concept of EFTs for digital art where the original copy is destroyed/deleted, but that's about it.

Edit: EFT? NFT? One of those, you know what I mean...
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-05-05 at 10:17 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

All very good questions. Ones I don't have the answers too - Which is why it was taken to a lawyer. They're looking to see if theres a legal case in it. Last time we spoke they were looking at it as a digital products issue, but they've not come back to us with anything as yet.

This would be under UK law, both ourselves and the seller are in the UK, I expect things would be very messy if they were based elsewhere in the world.

As for what you're buying, I suppose the Cryptocurrency equivelent of an asset would be the closest comparison? It's not itself cryptocurrency, but it has a value in cryptocurrency. If that has any real world cash value is best left to the discression of the buyer. In our case, someone is trying to sell us NFT's to our own work for £2500 plus a cut of any future sales. They clearly think it has some form of real world value even if no one else does.

A lot of damage to the environment due to energy waste is what you're buying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Flood the market with desaster girl NFTs, half a million a pop.
    Yeah, I keep thinking of the MTG reserve list. Where they maintain the price of old collectible cards, by having a self imposed rule on not reprinting specific cards, due to their collectibility.

I have not figured out what an NFT is, beyond a status symbol for rich people.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Yeah, I keep thinking of the MTG reserve list. Where they maintain the price of old collectible cards, by having a self imposed rule on not reprinting specific cards, due to their collectibility.

I have not figured out what an NFT is, beyond a status symbol for rich people.
    I think that's what it is. A creative way to throw out money you don't need.