So I've only ever gone for the PS5 at launch. Haven't rushed to buy any other console on release.

Was availability an issue with all of them? Or is this a COVID thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    So I've only ever gone for the PS5 at launch. Haven't rushed to buy any other console on release.

Covid played a big role, but the biggest culprit is a huge microchip demand and shortage, which is also evident in the gpu market. Even when they are available, most stores are attacked by bots made by scalpers, they buy everything up and sell it on ebay at 100%+ markup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I got mine from PS Direct. They have the best system in place. All automated, none of that F5ing nonsense trying to beat bots that a site says they 'totally protect against'. No having to buy bundles, complete with windows that open every 10 min, canceled orders, orders that don't ship for weeks, people buying multiple consoles.

You sign on, you get placed in a queue. The queue is randomized then allows people to into the store based on their position. You can see your place the entire time. They tell you what has sold out. Mine was at my door in like a day or two. I know someone who managed to order one from Walmart a week before me and still didn't get theirs until almost two weeks after me.
    I'll try PS Direct, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post

The overall problem is that there is a global silicon shortage, COVID contributed of course.

PS4s had weren't everywhere, you couldn't just go to the store and get one, but you didn't have a problem adding your name to a retailer's online backlog. It became increasingly easier to get one after Christmas.

I remember PS3s being hard to come by. I was a lot younger and couldn't buy my own, don't remember how hard it was to get one. Wii's were the hot ticket item. Now those I know you could get from a guy who knew a guy but I don't think they were being scalped like PS5s. Maybe throw a stocker a $20 and they'll hide a console for you.

I remember there was a PS2 shortage but yeah, way too young to know what extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Covid played a big role, but the biggest culprit is a huge microchip demand and shortage, which is also evident in the gpu market. Even when they are available, most stores are attacked by bots made by scalpers, they buy everything up and sell it on ebay at 100%+ markup.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try PS Direct, thanks.
    This guy is very reliable and not as obnoxious as some people who track restocks

https://twitter.com/Wario64

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It took a while to catch on, but Disco Elysium is really something special, lol. Great game here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still think people should get a ps5, but I havent even played a ps5 game since december. I've only been playing ps4 games on it cause there is just nothing coming out for it for awhile

I really wanna check out Returnal but at the same time, I've never played a rogue-lite that could hold my attention. But normally I'd only be wasting $20 but I can't really do that with Returnal. Just gonna have to wait for a sale.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I’m torn on returnal too, I like the graphics but the time travel gimmicks always give me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The overall problem is that there is a global silicon shortage, COVID contributed of course.

PS4s had weren't everywhere, you couldn't just go to the store and get one, but you didn't have a problem adding your name to a retailer's online backlog. It became increasingly easier to get one after Christmas.

I remember PS3s being hard to come by. I was a lot younger and couldn't buy my own, don't remember how hard it was to get one. Wii's were the hot ticket item. Now those I know you could get from a guy who knew a guy but I don't think they were being scalped like PS5s. Maybe throw a stocker a $20 and they'll hide a console for you.

I remember there was a PS2 shortage but yeah, way too young to know what extent.
    Well demand is also way higher then with PS4 and PS3. The PS5 has sold more then the PS4 did over the same time span, by this point in the PS4 life you could walk into any retailer and grab one in the US anyways not sure about other countries but the PS5 still has insane demand while out selling it launch aligned.

Without a chip shortage its crazy to think how many PS5s would actually be sold right now, when its out pacing the PS4 in said shortage and still has insane demand.

On the one hand, I enjoy good games and am more than willing to pay for them.

On the other hand, each dollar a game goes up, also my quality requirements go up. At 60 dollars, I'll try more risky games.

Returnal does a great job of pointing out the inherent flaw with 70 dollar games. It is probably good enough to be a 70 dollar game, but it is also a new IP with only Sony and Housemarque and maybe Metacritic fans as a fan base, so the price might affect some buying decisions.

It would be a shame if such a good game doesn’t get a sequel because of the 70 dollar backlash though. I want to get it, but hard to click buy for me, and I LOVE wasting money on this hobby. I just don’t know. Sad that I would probably pick up nearly any sequel in this circumstance, but I’m having a hard time with a new IP. I kinda makes me feel stupid in a way actually, like I can’t overcome the nostalgia security blanket.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-04-30 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    On the one hand, I enjoy good games and am more than willing to pay for them.

On the other hand, each dollar a game goes up, also my quality requirements go up. At 60 dollars, I'll try more risky games.

Returnal does a great job of pointing out the inherent flaw with 70 dollar games. It is probably good enough to be a 70 dollar game, but it is also a new IP with only Sony and Housemarque and maybe Metacritic fans as a fan base, so the price might affect some buying decisions.

It would be a shame if such a good game doesn’t get a sequel because of the 70 dollar backlash though. I want to get it, but hard to click buy for me, and I LOVE wasting money on this hobby. I just don’t know.
    If $10 is making the difference in your budget you shouldn't be buying full price games anyways and wait on a sale. On the US side of things it seems like a meaningless complaint. Now some other regions have ridiculous pricing far more then $70 USD equiv and they should be complaining a lot more then US people lol. Then again never saw US people crusading for Japan that had to pay 8800 yen for new PS4 games which is like $80 USD and that was LAST GEN.

Funny how all these complaints go out when one of the regions that had best pricing in the US gets a meager hike that is still less then other regions where paying for games last gen lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to say that Returnal isn't worth $70 but this I wrote what the game does right. This game really flexes what the PS5 can do though. It looks great, sounds great, runs great. The gameplay is smooth, DuelSense controller integration, phenomenal.

I think its genre is why the immediate reaction is, "no way this is worth $70". Most roguelikes are low-res/low-spec games with stories that are barely there. Hades stood out because it actually has a story. Returnal is more akin to Hades where this is an actual story but the world is much bigger and they placed a lot of work into the overall production value of the game. Seriously, even the haptic feedback is noteworthy, it just feels 'right'.

I think Returnal has set a bar. If a dev isn't taking advantage of the PS5 like a AA studio like Housemarque is then they shouldn't be charging $70.

After watching a bit of Returnal and playing it myself, I must say its well worth its $70 pricetag IMO.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the argument against 70 dollars doesn't make much sense. Games became 60 dollars in like 2005/2006 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 released. If you put 60 dollars into an inflation calculator, that'd be like 78 dollars by today's standards, so a 60 dollar game in 2006 was actually more expensive relative to a 70 dollar game now. The reality is that things increase in price over time due to inflation.

It definitely doesn't feel good, I agree, but it's how the economy works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    amazing

Amazon's official Playstation channel is now selling PS5's at 2x the MSRP

You could drop $700 on a GTX 3080 and have $300 left over.

And yet, people are paying this price? People are THAT desperate to play Miles Morales, the only PS5 exclusive?

EDIT: Nevermind! Seems to be a third party scalper.

Still boggles my mind people are still buying. Just wait!
    I've been told that if you look really hard you can find a PS5 for $500. I read it and therefore it must be true. Let me know when it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    And if you really want to play an exclusive you can stream it with PSNow.
    Cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I think the argument against 70 dollars doesn't make much sense. Games became 60 dollars in like 2005/2006 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 released. If you put 60 dollars into an inflation calculator, that'd be like 78 dollars by today's standards, so a 60 dollar game in 2006 was actually more expensive relative to a 70 dollar game now. The reality is that things increase in price over time due to inflation.

The US is the only region that hasn't had steady price increases even.

The argument never made sense because games are a luxury anyways. If it's not on your budget either don't buy it or wait on sale /shrug. Games are not essential goods lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

During an economic depression we should just increase prices? Yea, screw that. That's why I got to websites like *snip* to buy games at a fraction of the price. Actually, I go to websites like *snip* and just get the games.

Don't promote piracy or shady key resellers. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-05-02 at 02:13 AM.

I was on the fence about getting Returnal but I’m glad I did. It’s such a blast to play, despite the difficulty. The atmosphere is phenomenal, the combat feels great and the movement is tight.

My only gripe is that it can’t be played in short bursts. I think a save system in the traditional sense would trivialize the game, but being able to stop playing and pick back up mid run would be a game changer(other than pausing and throwing the system into rest mode). I’d love to be able to sit down and play for 45 minutes, make meaningful progress on a run and be able to walk away and come back later. That fact it’s currently midnight and I want to play but can’t/won’t because I can’t guarantee how long I’ll be awake and if I’m having a solid run, it’ll be for nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah one flaw Returnal has is the way it saves...in that you cant save midrun. Most roguelikes will at least save you at the last room you opened. Returnal is like "IDK, just put your PS5 in rest mode and dont play anything else ". I hope they patch that because its a bummer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    It took a while to catch on, but Disco Elysium is really something special, lol. Great game here.
    I went with a completely schizo build, leveling Inland Empire, Half Light and Shivers the most. Watching Half Light (your fight or flight instinct) going berserk at every single tiny thing as your mind throws everything but the kitchen sink to explain the unexplainable was pretty mesmerising to watch. It even quoted Heraclitus in the original language trying to make sense of things, and it turned out that your mind was right lol. What a game.

I really really hope more people pick this up on the PS5, it completely blew me the fuck out. I was definitely not expecting something like it, it starts off kinda slow, but I was hanging on for dear life during the second half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    During an economic depression we should just increase prices? Yea, screw that. That's why I got to websites like *snip* to buy games at a fraction of the price. Actually, I go to websites like *snip* and just get the games.

Don't promote piracy or shady key resellers. -Edge
    Okay? The US economy experienced a far worse recession in 2007/2008 and games were still relatively more expensive than 70 dollars now. The thing is that it isn't like Sony is Nintendo where their games rarely drop in price. I'm sure in a year Returnal will be like 40 dollars and in 3 years you can probably pick it up for 20 dollars or less.