Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What would you do if you were stuck in prison for 10000 years?

How does one not go insane? What would you do to pass the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I immortal because if so, I would buy my time stress free until my release date in 8800 give or take good behavior
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    If I was imprisoned for 10k years I'd develop relaxation techniques that just let me chill and sleep most of the time. I'd meditate for a thousand years to try to understand the nature of the mind and I'd try to imagine everything that is imaginable. If you mine the space of all ideas you might find an idea that is novel or useful. Also, I would try to work on my mathematics and discover all mathematical knowledge, which I guess would take a lot longer than 10k years.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-05-01 at 09:16 PM.

So basically you are immortal in your scenario? Then 10,000 years is just a blip....

I'd scrape at the bars/walls each day. By year 200 I should be able to escape.

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, what you are asking is "Would you like to be immortal?" but you only provided the answer to that question, and not the question itself.

No, I don't want to be immortal. It's a mathematical inevitability that you will be stuck, on way or another (under million tons of rubble, floating in space, that sort of thing). And I'd imagine you will be batshit insane long before getting stuck, as I don't think human mind can handle immortality.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-05-01 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Basically, what you are asking is "Would you like to be immortal?" but you only provided the answer to that question, and not the question itself.

No, I don't want to be immortal. It's a mathematical inevitability that you will be stuck, on way or another (under million tons of rubble, floating in space, that sort of thing). And I'd imagine you will be batshit insane long before getting stuck, as I don't think human mind can handle immortality.
    That's insane to prefer mortality/death over eternal life. There's nothing that says a person must go insane after X years of life. If anything living should get easier as you learn more and don't have to worry about biological damage.

I guess I'm immortal?
    Does the Prison have a library? Lot's of sleeping, learning, maybe training would be my guess. It kinda depends on the type of Prison as well.. a prison in russia, the USA and europe will probably offer vastly different options (or lack thereof) to kill time.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's insane to prefer mortality/death over eternal life. There's nothing that says a person must go insane after X years of life. If anything living should get easier as you learn more and don't have to worry about biological damage.
    Being immortal would mean watching every person you have ever loved die, over and over again.

Also, being immortal does not necessarily mean you are immune to biological damage. It just means you won't die from it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Being immortal would mean watching every person you have ever loved die, over and over again.
    That's better than them dying plus me dying as well. It would motivate me to eventually become a medical researcher and find a way to cure senescence for everybody.

Less death and more life is preferable. Ideally no one dies in the future and humanity starts populating more planets with billions of people.

I would turn my power of immortality into the power of time travel and skip past it because apparently im a magical being now.

Depends on my lifespan.

That's better than them dying plus me dying as well. It would motivate me to eventually become a medical researcher and find a way to cure senescence for everybody.

Less death and more life is preferable. Ideally no one dies in the future and humanity starts populating more planets with billions of people.
    You are lying and I'm calling you out on that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You are lying and I'm calling you out on that.
    I'm not lying, I really do think life is better than death. Seems like the 99% of people who aren't suicidal agree with me.

That's better than them dying plus me dying as well.
    Is it? Because that's what your endless life would be. Just watching people you care about grow old and die, forev

It would motivate me to eventually become a medical researcher and find a way to cure senescence for everybody.
    Or it would drive you to avoid human contact all-together.

so Resources are unlimited?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not lying, I really do think life is better than death. Seems like the 99% of people who aren't suicidal agree with me.
    Not wanting to live forever is not the same thing as being suicidal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it? Because that's what your endless life would be. Just watching people you care about grow old and die, forev
    People live longer and healthier lives as we learn more about biology, medicine, tech, food, etc. I would focus on the improvement part instead of focusing on all the death.
    so Resources are unlimited?
    Yeah I think so. While any specific resource that we know about right now is finite, I'm quite confident that we will find that resources in general are infinite. What counts as a resource depends on our knowledge and since we can always gain more knowledge that also means we can always convert more things into useful resources.
    Not wanting to live forever is not the same thing as being suicidal.
    It implies something similar, but fine. If some people want to die then that is correct for them but they shouldn't try to push their pro-death agenda on anyone else.

It implies something similar, but fine. If some people want to die then that is correct for them but they shouldn't try to push their pro-death agenda on anyone else.
    You're creating a false dichotomy.

Kids born today could live for 500 years. The life extension fields of science are moving at breakneck speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Kids born today could live for 500 years.
    Show us what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Show us what you know.
    There isn't one magic button for life extension, but life expectancy has already risen dramatically across the globe within the past few decades alone. I expect gene editing, neural implants, 3D printed body parts, machine learning/AI, mRNA vaccines(thanks to COVID), robotics, self-driving cars, advances in materials science, to all contribute and become commonplace very quickly. Biometric sensors embedded in clothing that can give you a likelihood of whether or not you have a certain type of cancer are close to being implemented. There are so many so-called white swans on the horizon in the fields of physics and medicine that I'm pretty sure we're on the verge of a new industrial revolution level event. These are just some articles, but I come across similar research all the time lately. These aren't Popular Science articles either. A lot of this stuff works and is being implemented, it's just a matter of scale.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-world-...ing-probe.html
    https://phys.org/news/2021-04-nanopore-biosensor.html
    https://phys.org/news/2021-04-breakt...le-cancer.html
    https://phys.org/news/2021-04-crispr...mutations.html
    https://phys.org/news/2021-04-3d-pri...treatment.html
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...-dementia.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/healt...ed-heart-study
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-05-02 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    There isn't one magic button for life extension, but ...
    Yeah...that's what I thought.