Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Mercenaries were trolls and ogers. Killing them is pretty much litteraly their daily job. Stratholm was the only good option. The chaotic evil option was leaving it and going back to the senile king to get back his title and fuck up the war effort. Arthas's last sane words before taking frostmourne was that he was ready to damn himself to save his people. NOBODY (except perhaps mega retard Medhiv) could have guessed that the cursed sword Arthas heard about by pure luck meeting Muradin was a trap from his enemy.
    He was just determined to do everything he could to save his people and his land even by sacrificing himself. While Uther was just concerned about himself.
    I mean, yeah they were trolls and ogres. But they hadn't actually done anything wrong as far as Arthas was aware. They made for the perfect scape goats due to their job and various races. I don't blame the soldiers as they had plenty of reason to believe Arthas.

Arthas however is definitely not innocent there. He lied to his own troops, destroyed his own ships, and as a result ended up dooming the whole expedition into Northern.

As for Stratholme, I mentioned it because it's clearly the breaking point for him. I don't necessarily disagree with the choice was made, but I believe the events that followed he was not of sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    That would be exceedingly bad writing. Therefore it most likely will happen. I mean we already have edgy Anduin, so... I originally thought I would stop paying attention to WoW if Anduin ever went bad, but, dammit, it's a train wreck, one I've been paying attention to for far too long. You don't just watch a trainwreck of a story and stop when it's getting even more interesting.
    Bad writing because you don't like it? Bad writing I'd having people do things out of character, or suddenly having a drastic shift in personality, or coming up with motivations that have hitherto been completely the opposite of what has been shown.

No that wouldn't be bad writing. In fact it would make sense with uther/arthas and her.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    By the time he reached northrend (pre frostmourne) he had already become evil. He hired a bunch of mercenaries to destroy his own ships, then tricked his soldiers into killing them so no one could go back home like they had been ordered to by his father. He was progressively becoming more and more unhinged and willing to kill those who had done nothing wrong (the mercenaries he hired), lie, and even ignores muradin's warning about Frostmourne once they find the blade. He knows it's cursed, he simply doesn't care.

This is of course ignoring the Stratholme incident which is a giant gray question mark for morality, really depends on your point of view there. I'd argue he had already become evil before Frostmourne actually stole his soul however.
    But the biggest things that people try to pin on him happened after, when he could not by any ethical standard be held responsible. Would Uther have thrown him into the Maw for Stratholme and the mercenaries. Also, knowing it's cursed is kind of a non-starter. Accepting that you'll be cursed in exchange for power to save your people could be interpreted as noble. Arthas had no way of knowing that someone else, in this case Muradin, would be harmed by it. We don't even know if he'd noticed Muradin had been hurt because all his focus was on the blade.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I wouldn't want it for the reasons Super Dickmann mentioned. I have no interest in some other "better" version of Sylvanas, it wouldn't be the same character.

I'd accept it if it was more like repairing a broken vase. As in, Sylvanas' soul is literally damaged, shattered into pieces which causes her erratic behaviour and lack of critical thinking. Like, all the pieces are there but they're misplaced. What they'd do is put her soul back together, bringing back her reason and self-awareness.

I don't think Uther's soul being split is meant to establish a precedence. I think they just really wanted to do the revenge story with him, but hit a snag when they remembered his soul being in Frostmourne was a plot point in WotLK. So they just said it's both somehow as a way to get around it.

More importantly, even if such a thing did happen with Sylvanas, it wouldn't be the character anybody loves (or hates). It'd be her living ranger general self we barely know. Not the evil- but- not- that- evil banshee queen from WC3 - WotLK. What would even be the point of bringing her back, except just to have a character named Sylvanas in the story?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It would be better writing if every Night Elf she killed at Teldrassil split her soul, and she hid every fragment into an object so she could become immortal, meaning there are thousands of magically-imbued objects containing fragments of Sylvanas' split soul that must first be destroyed before she is killed. Anduin, Taelia and Bolvar must henceforth go on a quest to destroy all the objects in order to finally kill Sylvanas.
    Isn't that the premise of Harry Potter with He Who Shall Not Be Named?

Not saying it is a good reason but if she didn't do what she did at the start of SL then we would have all died in time and be sent to the Maw. Her later actions if you tilt your head and squint your eyes and ignore a ton of logic COULD be viewed as an action for the greater good, to bring the champions of azeroth.

One thing I have learned is to stop trying to figure out to much of whats happening or apply reason to it when it comes to WoW's lore / plot.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    Isn't Uther the exception cause the light specifically intervened after he called for it?

I doubt Sylvanus ever pleaded to be saved by the light, so there is no soul splitting in that way for her
    There are other souls stone things like that on the ptr.

I'd be curious if we get to see Sylvannas kill herself so to speak, maybe Tyrande helps release the 'nobler' half of sylvannas' soul and she recoils at what the other half of her has become and destroys it.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Isn't that the premise of Harry Potter with He Who Shall Not Be Named?
    No way, it's totally original!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    No way, it's totally original!

I mean it's not the same thing. Modlywart split his own soul intentionally. Sylvannas' soul, if split, wasn't done by herself.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!