Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Comic doesn't make sense. Giving out more rewards doesn't make the content any better. It just baits people into doing things they do not want.
    Welcome to wow retail. Where no one wants to do shit unless it has the ability to make the user force their epeen down the throat if others and make them thank the person who shoved said epeen.

Oh and those in the thread praising classic community. It's just as vile and tries the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Feeling a bit down, so sorry for this blogpost.

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

"I wasn't aware I was signing up for LFR when I came down to the Maw"
    "If you can't handle your own business you have no business playing, go die"
    And some third line I can't remember.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    Blizzard has fostered a casual solo player experience since Mop/Wod and peoples mindsets have shifted, if you check out Classic its MORE.. community but isn't 100% because you still get retail mind set players playing it.. even me i'll buff/heal peeps in danger unless i'm in a mood or think "fuck that guy" if they've been fighting with me for mobs or something and watch them die take their almost dead mob.. but eh its been something taught to us via blizzard.

The more we don't need assistance doing stuff if there is no benefit to help people wont help, and everyone is out for their own time and objectives why would they care about yours?

And the ingame /1 and /2 are so under moderated people mostly turn off to them or disable them cause why would you bother looking at "WTS BOOST OR RAID SERVICE PST ME AND PAY 100K" x 100 lol
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    90s gaming chat was absolutely worse than today's. Believe me. I lived it.
    No it wasn't.

Its humerous seeing people act like this is the standard.

Every online community has its vitriol but as far as MMO are concerned WoW is substantially worse than any other MMO. Even other MMO with a strong single player or "casual" focus.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

When blizzard stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

Every online community has its vitriol but as far as MMO are concerned WoW is substantially worse than any other MMO. Even other MMO with a strong single player or "casual" focus.
    Nahh, i vouch that for LoL.

It's always been like this. In Vanilla there were simply more consequences to bad behavior due to closed server communities.

Most massive online gaming communities are a toxic cesspool, especially when the product speaks to a very wide audience. Unlike the Flight Sim community which, I can image, is fairly nice and mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    If I had to guess (though present, I didn't game online, so I didn't experience the positive community), I'd say in the 90s, the internet & online gaming was fresh and new, so people were nicer because everyone was wide eyed, and in awe. Then people realized the internet also brought anonymity, so people could be dicks. And here we are. Probably one of the reasons a lot of folks just prefer to play solo, but of course that can also lead to the behavior you experienced since a solo player could be less likely to have a sense of community.

To quote Zed from Men in Black, "Sucks, huh".
    I disagree. Back then it was a specific nerd/fantasy/higher IQ culture that played games like this. Most other gamers would player FPS games and the like. But once it became more acceptable in "pop culture" to be a gamer and to play fantasy games...you got a whole host of new types of people. And these people ended up getting these company's to make BIG changes to their MMO's. Like adding LFR and LFD. Getting rid of server and community identity.

When you go from a community that wants the server to benefit to a huge horde or random players from anywhere that you will never see again....you get exactly the type of people you encountered in the MAW.
    Now I've been playing classic...and its community sure has its own hang-ups...but I know that 100% while i'm questing/leveling that people will gladly team up with you to beat an encounter and to run long distances to get to a dungeon to run it. Sometimes the groups has so much fun together...that you end up chaining elite quests together to get them all done so they don't sit in your log until a higher level. Or complete all the dungeon quests you need in a dungeon because YOU need it and not because they do. You don't get that feeling in retail. It's a different game made for a global community rather then a close knit one.

Did they ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    90s gaming chat was absolutely worse than today's. Believe me. I lived it.
    I'm curious, what games chat would that be?
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyfurious View Post
    Nahh, i vouch that for LoL.
    LoL isnt an MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    This so called "community" has been on free fall since end of TBC. It completely deteriorated with LFG and then server connections put the final nail in the coffin. Complete lack of identity on the internet brings up the worst. That was also why vanilla was successful because pulling shit there would make someone obsolete in their server.

All that being said calling any criticism "vitriol" or being agitated because someone told you what they would have liked you to do is part of the "im so offended" culture that has been habitually cultivated in wow and now the farmers of said culture reap its fruit. No surprises there. Ultra touchy players acting as ever-so-offended. Honestly who wants to play with people like that.
    Why is this not the case for other MMO, including old ones?

Why is WoW specifically known for being substantially worse than any other community?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Hate that as well OP. I know the scenario...Maybe not such aggression, but people are dicks.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by BobAwesome View Post
    I'm curious, what games chat would that be?
    First Person Shooter games like Quake, which isn't MMO but...

"yea but it wasn't MMO" doesn't count when someone put a blanket statement saying chat today is worse than it was in the past.

No. the. fuck. it. isn't.

It was filled with even more vile racist and homophobic garbage. Which is... ding ding... why companies are now finally realizing toxic gaming isn't good for long term

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    No it wasn't.
    Yea you probably played Kingdom Hearts, sheltered life... lol. Dude, it was much worse than it is now. Rose tinted nostalgia is strong

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    ok 5 months 1 week 3 hours and 32 second
    and i'll update this post daily -.-
    2 days since last update. Shape up!

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh yeah, 90's online gaming was a hoot...
    How to tell someone didn't actually play multiplayer games in the 90s they think the stuff now is toxic. Man I remember Halo 2 team slayer lobbies and Counterstrike and DoTA lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyfists View Post
    Like I said, this has also infiltrated into FFXIV as well. I remember when you joined a dungeon for the 1st time, and you said "sorry, this is my first time" people were genuinely happy, and glad you were there because in exchange for helping you, they got extra tomestones, or bonus experience at the end of the dungeon if they were leveling, More stamps for their adventure book. Now recently, I joined Old world content again because I got my PS5 and wanted to unlock the new trophies and what I saw - New player joined, and said "Hi first time" and it was met with groans, and people LEAVING easy content. I honestly was shocked and appalled because for the most part, I sub to wow for the Epic raiding (The raid dungeons are vast and actually feel like raiding) and FFXIV for the Community (I also do savage mode) and well... if the community is becoming as toxic as wow's I might just quit FFXIV.
    My experience of FFXIV's community, and I haven't played for a while, was that about the time the first expansion came out the community as a whole 'learned' that serious raids 'required' good DPS from tanks and healers as well as DPS, and they started becoming quite offensive to players who didn't look for ways to DPS as healers, and to players who played the 'wrong' tanks (Paladins at the time, because they did so little DPS).

This was not long after a whole bunch of people moved from WoW to FFXIV because of Blizzard's BS about flight in WoD, so while there's no hard evidence you could blame Blizzard for that if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

Well, there's EVE Online, where if someone isn't in your corp they're an enemy. Trash talk, scams, everything is legit there as long as your language isn't too foul and it stays in-game.

So WoW's behaviour isn't the worst, but in EVE it's expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    I totally swiped this from someone, but fits perfectly for how I feel. More rewards for raiding and Torghast please.

Actual reward structure a cap on ash going back to the beginning of the expansion not weekly so you can skip a week or two without it feeling like you are permanently behind. Also let us do it while leveling like palace of the dead.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    How to tell someone didn't actually play multiplayer games in the 90s they think the stuff now is toxic. Man I remember Halo 2 team slayer lobbies and Counterstrike and DoTA lol.
    Idk about Halo or CS (I've never been an FPS fan) but toxicity in Dota 1 was quite mild in my experience. Dota 2 is noticeably worse in that regard, but still a far cry from WoW or especially LoL, whose communities are &$#@ing Chernobyl - with a few exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Oh please, online gaming in the 90's was niche as fuck - as was gaming in general.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann