View Poll Results: When did you level the most alts and how many?

Voters
331. This poll is closed
  • Vanilla (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • Vanilla (4 or more)

2 0.60%
  • TBC (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • TBC (4 or more)

4 1.21%
  • Wrath (3 or less)

4 1.21%
  • Wrath (4 or more)

32 9.67%
  • Cata (3 or less)

4 1.21%
  • Cata (4 or more)

17 5.14%
  • MoP (3 or less)

3 0.91%
  • MoP (4 or more)

27 8.16%
  • WoD (3 or less)

2 0.60%
  • WoD (4 or more)

64 19.34%
  • Legion (3 or less)

8 2.42%
  • Legion (4 or more)

119 35.95%
  • BfA (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • BfA (4 or more)

26 7.85%
  • Shadowlands (3 or less)

5 1.51%
  • Shadowlands (4 or more)

11 3.32%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    In terms of max level characters:
    BfA (60ish)
    Legion (35ish)
    WoD (28ish)
    MoP (24ish)
    Cata (9)
    Wrath (3)

Not really related to how easy or hard it was to level, just a case of me already having more higher level characters and preferring to level new ones over paying absurd amounts of money for character transfers. I actively played the most characters during mid-late Legion, doing weekly keys on all 12 classes, doing every mage tower and getting every legendary every class.
    In SL so far I have 12 and hopefully won't need to level more, but who knows.

In terms of leveling from scratch, probably MoP. After that a lot of the characters are the same just picked up and abandoned as needed.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2021-05-03 at 10:13 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Hm..

WoD made me finish off my Horde roster and DKs for the garrison gold, but Legion and the advent of allied races had me expand from four alliance to one of every class, plus extras for the allied races both Horde and Alliance-side.

So probably Legion.

Legion because of garrison gold
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    The poll has/had a glaring flaw. Instead of "making new alts" it should have been about PLAYING them. For instance I made all my alts back in Classic&TBC, but actively played them the most during Wotlk. So while technically I made the alts in Classic and TBC, I actually played alts the most during Wotlk.
    Well had to make the title short and simple. Which expansion encouraged you to make the most completely new alts and level them from 1 to the cap is quite the mouthfull.

Since the poll closed I’ll put my two cents here:

Legion i leveled a total of 15 characters and got their mage tower appearances and class mounts (the other 3 were warrior/DK/hunter)

Shadowlands so far I’ve leveled 7 characters to max, one of each covenant 4 of which were warriors (two prot: kyrian/necro and two dps, venth/arms, fae/fury)

In all of the other expansions I’ve never felt the alt friendly experience as much as I had unless it were legion and shadowlands

I'm different to most on here. Legion was my first xpac. By the end I had 12 110's by the end of Legion (one of each class for the class campaign.) By the end of BfA I had 42 120's mainly levelled up in either the Anniversary event or post level squish, including all the Allied races for both factions. In SL I have 6 60's and 6 more 51-52's (waiting for flying which I assume works for sub 60's to level up to 60)
    Last edited by IlikeDemonHunters; 2021-05-03 at 10:37 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had every single class on WoD and at Legion I made even some more on other realm, I think I had 17 or 18 characters at max lvl in total. Only to farm gold through garrison / order hall missions. I estimate I made 20 - 40 mil gold from this.

I’d always added at least one max level character each expansion since vanilla, but Legion and BFA were where it really exploded.

The Legion pre-expansion event made it super quick and easy to boost new characters up to and beyond level 60. Then the first Korrak’s Revenge helped get all those characters in the 60-110 level range up to 120. Late BFA before the heirloom changes was also really good for getting any stragglers from 110-120 (once you had flying). And then the level squish before SL helped me get all those allied races from 1-50 very quickly.

Legion: 5 new max level alts
    BFA: 7 new max level alts

By the time SL hit I think I had about 21 level 50 characters, but this expansion has proved pretty unfriendly for alts so after the 5th level 60 I just didn’t feel incentivized to level anymore.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2021-05-03 at 11:21 AM.

Probably MoP, it was nice to level alts and farm challenge mode sets.

There was no annoying stuff like in Legion (AP, Artifacts, Legendaries), BfA (Azerite, legendary cloak, etc) and Shadowlands (covenants, legendaries/torghast) where there is a gate before you can do the stuff I actually want to do.

Good ole level to max and gear game play. Also felt more valuable leveling an alt back then, now it feels like a walk in the park to get to max, there's also paid boosts and all the free boosts with previous expansions.

WoD was too boring and garrison content wasn't the alt-friendliest. So I quit till the next expansion. The only two expansions I've quit in are WoD and Shadowlands.

I'm not a fan of being forced to play each week which has been a thing in recent expansions. I want my progression to mean something in the longer term, not something I have to do each week, which has catch-up mechanics which devalue the whole point of it in the first place.

All of them prior to BfA. That's where all my alts and desire to get them going let alone maintain them died.

Ive always had a bunch of alts. The most I've ever had at cap was 5: mage, pal, druid, sham, and warrior. But the SL prepatch inspired me a bit. But i just haven't wanted to level through SL again

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legion due to the class halls, BfA due to allied race nonsense.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Wrath. I burned out yet again in the final patch (isle i think). I came back to find my guild on deaths door. I quietly skulked off when no one was online and swore two things:

1. Id never join a guild again.
    2. Id never play a class with a healer spec.

So i leveled a mage, a hunter, a warlock and really tried to level a warrior and hated every minute of it.