Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well, your in the maw.
    The maw is designed so horribly that no sane person is having a good time being there. Its like traffic, no1 likes traffic and no1 is nice to one another in traffic because of it.
    And you opened the conversation by blaming him for your death.

What did you expect?
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Were you 3 in a group? No? Then it was your own fault. I ninja invite people when doing content together, 90% people will accept and then they will feel responsibility for your death too, which means you are getting healed too, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    I think it has to do with the developers choices of the audiences they want to cater for. WoW attracts a lot of bad personality traits players.
    Lol what a self-entitled post, everyone is a bad personality trait because of your biased opinion.

Why arent you the problem exactly but someone else is, dont even have to go into details but do let me know why you arent the problem ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Well, your in the maw.
    The maw is designed so horribly that no sane person is having a good time being there. Its like traffic, no1 likes traffic and no1 is nice to one another in traffic because of it.
    And you opened the conversation by blaming him for your death.

What did you expect?
    Take some responsibility for your own actions. Saying you, or others, behaving badly because of not liking what partake in is just... Baffling.

I suggest trying to be nice to others regardless if you like what you are in. It makes the situation more enjoyable as opposed to the opposite.

You might be talking in general and not you personally, if so apply my statement to how people should act rather than take it personally. You can interpret your message both ways.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Feeling a bit down, so sorry for this blogpost.

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

"I wasn't aware I was signing up for LFR when I came down to the Maw"
    "If you can't handle your own business you have no business playing, go die"
    And some third line I can't remember.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    Eh, you can't put people in the same category, though.

Some people sadly tunnel vision or see it as their solo play with as little interaction as possible.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Take some responsibility for your own actions. Saying you, or others, behaving badly because of not liking what partake in is just... Baffling.

I suggest trying to be nice to others regardless if you like what you are in. It makes the situation more enjoyable as opposed to the opposite.

You might be talking in general and not you personally, if so apply my statement to how people should act rather than take it personally. You can interpret your message both ways.
    I feel like a fanboi at this point, well said, again.

"We'll be nice to you if you are nice to us," said a wise creature with no body hair whatsoever.

Apply it the other way as well, and we have come a long way.

when cross server shit started to happen. the identity you create on your server is now gone, servers are pointless. all content can be defeated cross server thru finder.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My theory is that all the mature players got bored and moved on to other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    How to tell someone didn't actually play multiplayer games in the 90s they think the stuff now is toxic. Man I remember Halo 2 team slayer lobbies and Counterstrike and DoTA lol.
    Halo 2 was 200s. Halo was 2001. Counterstrike is 1999 but really 2000. DOTA is '03 though.
    I'd say the late 90s around '98 is the breaking point honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    when cross server shit started to happen. the identity you create on your server is now gone, servers are pointless. all content can be defeated cross server thru finder.
    BINGO! CRZ is what ruined the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I feel like a fanboi at this point, well said, again.

"We'll be nice to you if you are nice to us," said a wise creature with no body hair whatsoever.

Apply it the other way as well, and we have come a long way.
    Thank you!
    Error 404 - Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    BINGO! CRZ is what ruined the community.
    Now that's a massive load of garbage if I ever heard it, and quite the strawman.

Let's start with Everquest and go from there, into WoW and this supposed 'CRZ ruined muh community' nonsense.

While in Everquest there were two factions, 'good and evil', nothing stopped you from grouping with one another. The only limiter, really, was whether or not the NPCs (not mobs) would kill you on sight for being in the opposite faction. An Example: Dark Elven Dragoons patrolled a zone called 'The Overthere'. If you were a good faction and got caught, they'd slaughter you if you got caught.

However, there were two other aspects going on: just about every raid boss was a World Boss (at least until I stopped playing, which was around Ykesha) and mobs rarely rubberbanded back to their spawn points.

Since every zone was incredibly huge, sometimes you'd be running for a long time trying to zone out to lose aggro.

Progressive Guilds were massive assholes to one another, something that carried over into Vanilla WoW, especially in the update that introduced AQ and the four dragons of nightmare. They'd try to wipe each other, steal aggro, out damage one another, all for the sake of loot, because back then, whoever did more damage, got looting rights.

None of this 'first tag' nonsense. Same goes for rare spawns that dropped incredibly rare loot.

And if you were running to zoneline, other people and other groups were in no way expected to 'help you'. If you or your group couldn't handle the zone, you either died or you left and returned when you were able to handle it. In a way, the Maw weeds out the weak.

Perdition's Hold is especially good for this. As much as I absolutely hate that area of the maw. I asked my Guildies (MUH COMMUNITY) for help and if none were available, the LFG tool. As a squishy warlock, my 'ohshit' buttons were limited to health and soul stones. Trains happen/ed frequently as people overpulled (especially when the eyes were on the aggro table).

I sure as hell didn't want to get put on the aggro table of the 10+ mobs chasing the poor warrior/shaman/etc that was running for their lives and near dead. What good would that do anyone? I'm not here to give you (general statement) warm fuzzies, especially since I don't know you.

The Community never left.

People have never stopped being 'assholes'.

Rose tinted glasses are always rose tinted.

etc.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    The answer to your question is WotLK.

With that out of the way, you were very much the asshole in that situation. You messed up and blamed it on another player. I certainly wouldn't have responded to your message in the way you say he did, but he was definitely right to be upset at you.

Just curious but what did you hope to gain from whispering him "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated."?

Stopped caring and got surprised that i didnt want to play anymore with this valor system cap by mythic + achiev...
    Seems dumb, but i was thrilled to do low mythics to upgrade my gear slowly... high mythics put some stress up and im already too stressed irl...
    So ya
    No fun, no run

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gugabuga View Post
    Stopped caring and got surprised that i didnt want to play anymore with this valor system cap by mythic + achiev...
    Seems dumb, but i was thrilled to do low mythics to upgrade my gear slowly... high mythics put some stress up and im already too stressed irl...
    So ya
    No fun, no run
    lol

So I wanna put this out there:

The system is tuned specifically for people like you.

There's absolutely no reason for you to get gear that is over your capacity to play. It sounds like you wanted to get better gear without putting in the proper effort, just so you can smash face in lower keys. You were appropriately geared for the content you were doing and if you wanted to get better gear, you need to 'git good' as people like to eloquently say.

Sucks that higher keys stress you out, but that's not a systematic error, it's a user error.

*Edit:

And to add, you can slowly, potentially get better gear than your skill level by doing those lower keys, through the vault. But it's not a guaranteed thing. I'm currently sitting at 220 ilvl, yet i've never stepped foot in a mythic raid. It's not because of skill level though, but because I like my guild/community and i'm pretty happy having smashed heroic CN and gotten KSM.

But again, that's on me, not the system.
    Last edited by Molvonos; 2021-05-03 at 12:14 PM.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

I have never cared about other player's HP when in outdoors, be it vanilla, MoP or SL.
    It's about ppl not expac/timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Why is this not the case for other MMO, including old ones?

Why is WoW specifically known for being substantially worse than any other community?
    Who says that WoW's players are worse than in other MMOs?
    In my experience a MMO like FF14 has a much more toxic player base.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    Who says that WoW's players are worse than in other MMOs?
    In my experience a MMO like FF14 has a much more toxic player base.
    Not true, FF14 has probably the most pleasant playerbase of any MMORPG. Chat is always clean, no name calling or anger or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Scientists would have flame wars on ARPANET in the 1970s. If you want to go back further, the founding fathers of the US would have flame wars via newspapers over setting up the Constitution in the 1700s. Its always been there.
    A big chunk of Hamilton is basically Alexander bragging about how he can trash his opponents in the presses lol
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Not true, FF14 has probably the most pleasant playerbase of any MMORPG. Chat is always clean, no name calling or anger or anything.
    To each his own. For me FF14 is a perfect totalitarian state simulator where entitled players are encouraged by the developers to bully and harass players that want to put in an effort by reporting them for "being mean". It creates a toxic atmosphere of fear and mandatory mediocrity.