The argument that WoW is no longer social is a complete lie...

Play on a RP server and see for yourself if you dont believe me

Gonna give just one example out of a million i experienced in past month:

Darkmoon Faire
    Im a level 58 Alliance Panda trying to get the Arena chest for the first time
    2 Hordes are also there
    They dont want to kill me (for some reason) so they just CC me to grab the chest and leave
    I keep attacking them and interrupting them but they refuse to kill me

After some wholesome emotes about the funny situation, i point at one of them and tell him via emote to follow me
    My idea was to guide this Horde player into making the achievement to get the "Blazing Wings" toy.
    I show him the NPC, he understands and shows me he already has the toy

SHizz like this happens every single day in RP servers if you so desire to. People just pay more attention and are more social.
    I've been playing there for 1 month and is true.
    Every single day.

I know i am right
    "You" are wrong and "you" need to change your argument to:

"Normal WoW servers are no longer Social"

Now infract me or throw my thread into RP section or something...i dont care

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say it's a complete lie. Even as far as RP servers, there are different social expectations from server to server. I know it's sort of 'conventional wisdom' that RP servers are more socially active and generally nicer, but that's both true and false: out in the world, people are more likely to jump in and help you out, and other-faction players are more likely to leave you be if you're flagged for whatever reason unless you go picking a fight, but at the same time public chat channels can be just as bad, if not worse, than on Normal and traditionally/historically-PvP servers.

Moon Guard, my home server in retail, is especially bad about degenerating into massive political arguments at the drop of a hat in General, Trade, and LFG, and people will absolutely hold grudges about it. And we're not just talking, Trump memes or teasing Biden or joking about Hillary, people dig up dirt and get nasty fast. Furthermore, RP servers are just as prone to having guilds detonate over the stupidest reasons, if not moreso, which can leave people hesitant to join guilds, further narrowing their social interactions if they've turned off aforementioned public chats to escape the political sewage.

The grass isn't always greener, sometimes the grass is still dead and barren, it's just that there are people trying to bring it back.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

It's less social than before.

And RP realms are excpetions.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    "I" am wrong and "I" need to change my argument to:

"RP WoW servers are still kinda Social"
    Fixed.

Good for you. I guess.

WoW is as social as I want it to be, just like it was back in vanilla, tbc, wrath etc etc...at least in my experience.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account

Darkmoon Faire
    2 Hordes are also there
    They dont want to kill me (for some reason) so they just CC me to grab the chest and leave

After some wholesome emotes about the funny situation, i point at one of them and tell him via emote to follow me
    My idea was to guide this Horde player into making the achievement to get the "Blazing Wings" toy.

SHizz like this happens every single day in RP servers if you so desire to. People just pay more attention and are more social.
    Every single day.

I know i am right

Honestly. The people who consider it no longer social is the people who does not believe they need it, wish for it, or want to seek it out.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    RP servers are a special case, but the game as a whole still promotes social interaction, it's just not necessary for anything outside of higher end game content.
    With insta-queues, server crossover, and the like, people are more "rent-a-player" than they used to be, but that doesn't mean social interaction is gone or frowned upon.
    Guilds and organized content is still a good place to find it.
    It's just not as "important", I guess, than it used to be, where you would spam /2 for a group instead of hitting a couple buttons and getting paired with randos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being social in the game is entirely dependent on the player. Thus it is and has always been. I'll warrant that people used to be nicer back in the day but in fact there are now more avenues for social play in the game than in the past even if the game is now riddled with enough assholes that many people do not want to bother with it.

It's always been on the player and the argument that Blizzard can somehow force people to be social is nonsense. Unless you consider silently running a dungeon as fast as possible so that everyone can get on to the next thing as 'social'.

The plain fact is that applied to real life, gathering a group of random strangers together to accomplish something mildly difficult is weird, non-intuitive and not how human beings interact with one another as a rule.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Plenty of social interaction in WoW and around WoW.
    With the advent of Discord it is very easy to find people who share your interests, playstyle, mentality etc. and interact with these people.

So for persons that have treated and do treat the game as single-player game then nothing has changed
    But for persons that want to put in the minimum of effort to find and interact with like-minded people then the game has become much more social.

I completely agree.

The Classic/TBC era of being social was only forced, it made people have to interact with you in order to accomplish basic goals. Wrath onwards social interactions were a lot more genuine I think. Playing Classic now and it's about as asocial as retail is, dungeon groups don't talk, raid pugs don't talk, no one cares. The extent of interaction for most people is what do they get out of it. My guild and my friends list is as social as ever, in both versions. If anything retail is far more social given M+ and ranked PvP.

I genuinely think a lot of the people who love the "social" aspect of classic/tbc don't really have friends/guildmates and forced interactions are the best they can get in game.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Shadowpunk - RP servers are dead too.

No one cares about a chance encounter you had.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will straight up lie about something they don't like, like they're fooling people...I've seen people call WoW a moba, people will say anything lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe that, once again, I am addressing yet another Shadowpunk thread.

Darkmoon Faire
    2 Hordes are also there

Congratulations. An example of your unique interaction that fits your unique narrative that has absolutely no universal bearing on everybody else's experience.

Awesome. You communicated to a player of the opposite faction using /emotes.

Guess what? This also happens on literally every other server.

OR... it's just your experience. Do you honestly think this is because it being a role playing server? It can't possibly be because it's a populated server full of people actively playing at the same time? For example, from my experience since we're using that as "proof", any high population server I've been on is infinitely more social then the low population servers I've left.

Every single day.

I know i am right

...right about what? Why do you think saying "I know i am right" is a validation for us. Or is it that you need to tell yourself this as some form of validation. H

Your truth is your truth. Nobody is tying to take that away from you. Why are you trying to take everyone else's away?

People are social on your RP server. Cool. Nobody made the argument that RP servers weren't social.

And this is why nobody takes your threads seriously. You are taking a generalized point that some people make and trying to make a counter-point that your "way" is proof... when it's not.

All this thread proves is that you have no problem jumping onto MMO-C and making threads with exaggerated claims about some pristine utopia you've found and we all just need to buck up and listen to you.

I have no doubt your RP server experience has been a great one. I absolutely believe that everybody you've encountered on your RP server adventurers are social and nice and helpful and fun to play with.

For you to come here and say we are all wrong because you experienced something different is effectively saying everybody else's experiences are invalid. That's were you are wrong.

Let's just be clear: you care. Immensely. Or you wouldn't continue to post these threads where you make broad claims and tell everybody else they are wrong. You know how I know you care?

Because you then make toxic threads attacking people for... (wait for it)... not agreeing with you.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...O-C-moderation
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ever-MMO-Champ

And you'll do it again.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-05-03 at 08:54 PM.

WoW is no longer forcing the social aspect on everyone but it gives you all the tools you need to have social experiences whenever you feel like it. I like the current approach better.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I can't believe that, once again, I am addressing yet another Shadowpunk thread.

Congratulations. An example of your unique interaction that fits your unique narrative that has absolutely no universal bearing on everybody else's experience.

Awesome. You communicated to a player of the opposite faction using /emotes.

Guess what? This also happens on literally every other server.

OR... it's just your experience. Do you honestly think this is because it being a role playing server? It can't possibly be because it's a populated server full of people actively playing at the same time? For example, from my experience since we're using that as "proof", any high population server I've been on is infinitely more social then the low population servers I've left.

...right about what? Why do you think saying "I know i am right" is a validation for us. Or is it that you need to tell yourself this as some form of validation. H

Your truth is your truth. Nobody is tying to take that away from you. Why are you trying to take everyone else's away?

People are social on your RP server. Cool. Nobody made the argument that RP servers weren't social.

And this is why nobody takes your threads seriously. You are taking a generalized point that some people make and trying to make a counter-point that your "way" is proof... when it's not.

All this thread proves is that you have no problem jumping onto MMO-C and making threads with exaggerated claims about some pristine utopia you've found and we all just need to buck up and listen to you.

I have no doubt your RP server experience has been a great one. I absolutely believe that everybody you've encountered on your RP server adventurers are social and nice and helpful and fun to play with.

For you to come here and say we are all wrong because you experienced something different is effectively saying everybody else's experiences are invalid. That's were you are wrong.

Let's just be clear: you care. Immensely. Or you wouldn't continue to post these threads where you make broad claims and tell everybody else they are wrong. You know how I know you care?

Because you then make toxic threads attacking people for... (wait for it)... not agreeing with you.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...O-C-moderation

And you'll do it again.
    The hilarious part is that he's trying to say RP servers on WoW are light-hearted and not toxic. The reality is that RP are servers are the most drama filled toxic cesspools in the game. My main servers are WyrmrestAccord and MoonGuard. I lucked out when I found guilds not filled with the worst human beings on the planet but it took MONTHS. But then Shadowlands hit and the RP community actually got worse and it just stopped being worth even bothering to try and find roleplaying anymore.

Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    LOL you're still here.

MMO the Rapist back with another hot take. Couldn't we unban Jaylock instead?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have to predicate it by saying stuff like "Play on an RP server" and "Normal servers are no longer social" then WoW is no longer social. The social segments are the anomaly that stayed as such by doing gameplay unsupported by Blizzard.

That's like sayin "WoW is social because look at this Discord."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

There is a difference between solo, multiplayer and social.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Darkmoon Faire
    2 Hordes are also there

Roleplaying servers have, in many respects, been made exempt from the problems that cause the destruction of the sense of world and identity on other realms.

All roleplaying realms are merged (at least in Europe-English) and RP realms do not CRZ with non-RP realms, meaning there is one server of a suitable size and nothing polluting it. Furthermore, there is no phasing except in opening weeks because that would destroy RP realms and damage the social fabric of the community.

This is how World of Warcraft used to work. I have no idea why the rest of the game doesn't, but it just doesn't.

So yes, this is absolutely accurate, but most people don't know about this, and I really think it's unfair of you to say that WoW is still social because a tiny subset of servers work correctly. It's technically true that those servers exist, but it's just really unhelpful to the players making this case.

And besides, they shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to regain what they lost, and RP'ers shouldn't have to deal with players who do not roleplay but merely want a coherent MMO world. The standards have moved - RP realms are what regular realms used to be, and regular realms are some kind of mediocre lobby game.