Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To put an end to the warming trend by cutting emissions?

It isn't really "speculation". Pretty much every analysis confirms we passed that point somewhere in the aughts, at the latest. If we cut emissions worldwide to zero literally tomorrow, the climate would continue to warm for centuries, unless some heretofore unknown major factor inserts itself. For years, the argument's been to stop feeding more "fuel" into that warming "engine", to try and keep the pace of warming down to a level we could hypothetically adapt to over time.

It's also why discussions of carbon sinks are starting to increase, and people are trying to find increasingly cost-effective techniques to go about capturing that carbon out of the atmosphere. The latest idea I've heard is growing mass amounts of certain plants with a high carbon-capture ratio, harvesting them once they finish growing, bundling and compressing them, and then dropping the massive bundles that produces into the deepest parts of the ocean. Decomposition down that deep is slow to potentially borderline nonexistent; the oceans already function as a carbon sink naturally through this process, where phytoplankton absorb carbon as part of their natural life process, and are either consumed or die themselves, the process of consumption eventually leading to the death of the consumer and it sinking to the bottom, where the carbon gets trapped.

Basically, this process, but accelerated through active human farming and dropping; https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...limate-change/

We're already well past the point of preventing this. Now it's about damage control.
    Well, I'm using speculate to account for the fact that a lot of studies that are published and make it to the press are not necessarily consensus, yet. Something being in a peer review journal doesn't make it scientific fact, yet. Of course, it's still a strong argument to take this seriously. So don't get hung up on that word, it was lazy phrasing and preventing imbeciles from demanding proof from me right this spot, which I'm really not willing to do for people that probably still think Earth is flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Except there isn't a single human metric that is "fucked" and doomed to decline. Name one human metric that can't be further improved while the climate is changing.
    The Netherlands have a pretty cool metric. Couple inches more and the entire country will be flooded. Do you think that's a cool metric? Shelves the size of Manhattan are calving in the Antarctic... how many of those do you think it takes to flood The Netherlands? If you think we've had a crisis in Europe with a million refugees coming, wait until there's 17 Million Dutch people running around trying to find a new place to live.

I'll send them to you, I'm sure you have a guest room or two while you tell them how much time there still is to fix everything.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    wtf is a human metric?
    Foot!

I'll see myself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    wait until there's 17 Million Dutch people running around trying to find a new place to live.
    Well, that's an easy one: they'll just move into their trailers.

For anyone else following along, PC2 is a Stage 3 climate change denier; "it's real but it's not bad/harmful".
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-stages-denial
    reminds me of THIS

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The Netherlands have a pretty cool metric. Couple inches more and the entire country will be flooded. Do you think that's a cool metric? Shelves the size of Manhattan are calving in the Antarctic... how many of those do you think it takes to flood The Netherlands? If you think we've had a crisis in Europe with a million refugees coming, wait until there's 17 Million Dutch people running around trying to find a new place to live.

I'll send them to you, I'm sure you have a guest room or two while you tell them how much time there still is to fix everything.
    I'm pretty sure that at least Manhattan would become more or less permanently low level flooded with a few inches more water. Tide surges would probably flood the sewers and subway systems on a monthly basis. New Orleans would be flooded, along with probably all of the mississipi delta.
    - Lars

Note of irony; Washington DC is sinking.

...just a matter of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/h...6hres109ih.pdf

John Kerry announced earlier this afternoon that the Biden administration wants all cars to go electrical, to invite credits for carbon, severely punish damage to the climate, and much more.

What are your thoughts about the Green New Deal?
    I'm ok with phasing out combustible engines. I believe it was under Obama when we changed our MPG regulations to 30 MPG for all new cars. I'm definitely ok with moving further with this.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm ok with phasing out combustible engines. I believe it was under Obama when we changed our MPG regulations to 30 MPG for all new cars. I'm definitely ok with moving further with this.
    He's a bit late to the party...

https://www.motor1.com/news/495958/v...e-development/

The trend of automakers delivering devastating news to combustion-engine fans continues. Volkswagen, following the lead laid by Audi, has told Automobilwoche that it has no plans to develop new combustion engines. Instead, VW CEO Ralf Brandstaetter said that the company would focus on updating its existing powertrain lineup to meet the tightening Euro 7 emissions regulations as it shifts toward electric vehicle production.

It’s the beginning of the end of the combustion engine, but it won’t disappear overnight. VW announced earlier this month that while it plans to double its 2030 EV sales target in Europe, it also plans to continue selling a core stable of gas-powered products – the Golf, the Passat, the T-Roc, and the Tiguan. VW said that these models would get a next-generation version, though they’ll be built to be as efficient as possible, which means they’ll come with the latest plug-in hybrid technology that offers all-electric motoring.
    The industry has already made the decision. The question is not if, it's when. Easy for politicians to score credit with this.

Side note: This is also the beginning of Tesla's new (old) role as an exclusive electric vehicle luxury product (which it is, but will be even more niche in the future). Once VW and Audi ramp up production and electric becomes affordable for anyone, people will realise just how tiny Tesla actually is in comparison to the big automakers. Yes, even with all the bells and whistles.
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-05-03 at 10:33 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

New study explains why nearly 20 percent of electric car owners return to gas
    Some EV owners are not satisfied.

Electric car owners are 18 percent likely to return to gas-powered cars, a new study shows.

Researchers at the University of California Davis say that more than 4,000 households who own or previously owned electric vehicles in California went back to gas and diesel cars, Electrek reported.

Co-authors Scott Hardman and Gil Tal detail owners’ reasons for switching back in the Nature Energy journal.

"Here, on the basis of results from five questionnaire surveys, we find that PEV discontinuance in California occurs at a rate of 20% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle owners and 18% for battery electric vehicle owners. We show that discontinuance is related to dissatisfaction with the convenience of charging, having other vehicles in the household that are less efficient, not having level 2 (240-volt) charging at home, having fewer household vehicles and not being male."

As the researchers suggested, charging is the biggest hurdle for electric car owners as well as its best perk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I'd like to know you guy's opinion on Major Traitor Greene's "views" on Earth Day and the GND

Of course, I can expect some of the responses to be like but who doesn't?? I hate this woman about as or more so than Trump
    When someone runs against Greene they really just need to make their campaign slogan "Vote for me...I'm not the crazy one."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    New study explains why nearly 20 percent of electric car owners return to gas
    Some EV owners are not satisfied.

Electric car owners are 18 percent likely to return to gas-powered cars, a new study shows.

Researchers at the University of California Davis say that more than 4,000 households who own or previously owned electric vehicles in California went back to gas and diesel cars, Electrek reported.

Co-authors Scott Hardman and Gil Tal detail owners’ reasons for switching back in the Nature Energy journal.

"Here, on the basis of results from five questionnaire surveys, we find that PEV discontinuance in California occurs at a rate of 20% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle owners and 18% for battery electric vehicle owners. We show that discontinuance is related to dissatisfaction with the convenience of charging, having other vehicles in the household that are less efficient, not having level 2 (240-volt) charging at home, having fewer household vehicles and not being male."

As the researchers suggested, charging is the biggest hurdle for electric car owners as well as its best perk.
    Until I can get one that can go 300-400 miles on one charge that costs under 24k I'm not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Until I can get one that can go 300-400 miles on one charge that costs under 24k I'm not interested.
    I think in some way...use of a solar panel or similar, to keep the batteries topped off. And then showing a vehicle going literally from coast to coast stopping only for toilet breaks.

I think in some way...use of a solar panel or similar, to keep the batteries topped off. And then showing a vehicle going literally from coast to coast stopping only for toilet breaks.
    Yeah. But I'm not spending 80k on a car.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it boils down to "infrastructure is lacking, as we have more than a century of investment into internal combustion engine support and barely any invested into EV support".

It's not a flaw in electric vehicles as a technology, it's a demand for more infrastructural support.

I mean, it boils down to "infrastructure is lacking, as we have more than a century of investment into internal combustion engine support and barely any invested into EV support".

It's not a flaw in electric vehicles as a technology, it's a demand for more infrastructural support.
    Oh yeah, it's very much an issue of "it's not convenient enough yet." Just like how this:
    ...Is why I'm not looking into a fully electric car now rather than being a reason to never own one at all.

There is also the case of distance travel. Right now with current batteries they are fairly limited to city driving. Don't get me wrong personally I would scoop one up and stick to buses for longer journeys but that isnt viable for everyone.

When someone runs against Greene they really just need to make their campaign slogan "Vote for me...I'm not the crazy one."
    That's if anyone risks their life to run against her. She got in because she ran unapposed as the Democrat nominee had to drop out. The catalyst being the death threats that came to him leading to home problems and divorce.

Since Trumpism and Qanon groups are still emboldened and essentially legal terrorists right now nothing is stopping them repeating the same shit next year in the build up to midterms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    There is also the case of distance travel. Right now with current batteries they are fairly limited to city driving. Don't get me wrong personally I would scoop one up and stick to buses for longer journeys but that isnt viable for everyone.
    For 95% of people's needs, electric vehicles already fit the bill; you can handle your daily needs with the current battery lives, and charge overnight.

For long distance, we've already developed technological solutions like charging roads, where you can charge as you drive. As in, those already exist, and are being used, right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...pens-in-sweden

Article's from 2018, so this isn't even particularly new. It's a matter of picking a standard and building the infrastructure. With this implemented to major highways, you could arrive at your destination with a higher charge than you left home with, no matter how far it was; human endurance would be a greater limiter than the car's range.

For 95% of people's needs, electric vehicles already fit the bill; you can handle your daily needs with the current battery lives, and charge overnight.

For long distance, we've already developed technological solutions like charging roads, where you can charge as you drive. As in, those already exist, and are being used, right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...pens-in-sweden

Article's from 2018, so this isn't even particularly new. It's a matter of picking a standard and building the infrastructure. With this implemented to major highways, you could arrive at your destination with a higher charge than you left home with, no matter how far it was; human endurance would be a greater limiter than the car's range.
    I'm all for electric cars.

Have you ever been to London?

The air quality is TERRIBLE.

I don't know how anybody could live there, my throat hurts for days afterwards when i need to visit the place.

The main barrier of entry for people owning electric cars though is affordability first, then convenience after.

Electric cars aren't cheap to buy, nor maintain.

No point having charging motorways if the majority can't afford the cars.

You drive more than 300 miles in one day?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You drive more than 300 miles in one day?
    Of course he does. He is part of the extreme example group where everything that could possibly be a reason as to not do something good he fits into.