Thread: do you think

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Being too late for a party and ambition to become third dota and absolutely devastating anoncement that blizz ceo did. Even more I think anoncement did more damage than being too late for party.

I mean, I love game and still play it. Even after all these dramatic news, game still doing fine. Blizzard should have adapted their strategy and just continue to slowly develop game like Smite did. Same thing as starcraft 2. Even as there is no development in sc2, competitive scene is doing great, same as hots but even if blizz thought that hots is not worth it, there should have been gradually decrease in development, not like it happened. Pretty much it was early gg from blizz. Yet still game is alive, and I barely see queue over 1min. Qm and aram is like 10-30sec queue, rating is like 30-50.

I count hots as second moba killed for absolutely zero reason. First one is epic games Paragon that was sacrificed for sake of fortnite (even so it was right decision, but I can't say same for blizz).
    Last edited by JohnyCge; 2021-04-28 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

No I did not, you need to get some reading glasses.
    He was agreeing that you never mentioned League

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't HotS deemed 'too simple' by the LoL and Dota communities?
    And people seem to flock to where the cool kids are.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    He was agreeing that you never mentioned League
    So why suddenly woute my bringing up defence of League when I literally was not speaking about it.

Mike Morhaime said in an interview that the reason HotS didn't do well is because it entered too late to the party. The game itself also had its issues, a lot of people don't like how simplified it is and that you have to work as a team rather than being able to play by yourself and get to flex. Its unclear who this game was even catered towards, because there is most certainly no or very little people who care about a casual MOBA.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2021-04-28 at 11:42 AM.

So why suddenly woute my bringing up defence of League when I literally was not speaking about it.
    He was comparing HOTS to League. Yeah, its a no one asked sort of situation, but he isn't in denial about that lol

HotS is still really popular and played. i suppose you just dont hear it about it as often as other games like league or even dota 2. and yes, it did not help that entered the genre " late " but it is none the played by a lot of people.

I think the problem is, they wanted to create a moba for the casual nice player.

But moba players aren't really casual or nice. Playing LoL is like walking through toxic wasteland. Them not being able to flame the enemy team is like taking their air to breath.
    And I don't know many moba players that say "yeah, a game once in a while is nice, but not more.. " they live for their game and hots really isn't deep enough for this.
    And the few people that are oke with hots, to play a nice game once in a while aren't considered enough to call the game 'alive'.

Beside from that, Blizzard just stopped investing in the game. They wanted to save money up to a point where it died and then they dropped it, like it wasn't their fault in the first place.

Also: Riot Games is said to blackmail e-sport organizers into only doing LoL events and to drop DotA / Hots.
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2021-05-02 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    I think the problem is, they wanted to create a moba for the casual nice player.

But moba players aren't really casual or nice. Playing LoL is like walking through toxic wasteland. Them not being able to flame the enemy team is like taking their air to breath.
    And I don't know many moba players that say "yeah, a game once in a while is nice, but not more.. " they live for their game and hots really isn't deep enough for this.
    And the few people that are oke with hots, to play a nice game once in a while aren't considered enough to call the game 'alive'.

Beside from that, Blizzard just stopped investing in the game. They wanted to save money up to a point where it died and then they dropped it, like it wasn't their fault in the first place.

Also: Riot Games is said to blackmail e-sport organizers into only doing LoL events and to drop DotA / Hots.
    Yup, good points, pretty much agree with this being one of the major reasons hots died (well tbh, it was never really alive in the first place).

10+ Year Old Account
    Very good point. I'd say Blizz succeeded in making it a friendly and inviting Moba, and I still play it nearly everyday for at least a match or two. It's the players that suck, so even when I play online, which is rare as I vastly prefer just having a fun game against bots, I mute everyone.

But nah the reason hots failed is a few things
    1. it entered the market way too late, with the big shots already out and full of players it was rare for newer players to go to hots, or players from the other games to move over, cause they already know that game, or their friends play it.

2. its free to play mechanics were shitty to start, they fixed some of the major problems early on but it was not great

3. some of the early press really fucked the game, the rune system which is something LoL had was intended, but people hated it so they removed it, but that idea being even a possability ruined the game for a lot of people

4. its a casual moba, it doesent have the complexity of the other games with items and last hitting and individual player power, and with that it brings in the casual players but well... sad to say it, moba in general is not a casual genre. Just like how MMO's are not a genre made well for people who cant/wont work in groups.

- - - Updated - - -
    Honestly think its #4. Odd thing about gamers is the way they follow the pros around. HotS saw no hard swaps from the LoL/Dota esports scene...so at no point did it ever feel like the community took the game seriously. And while team cohesion is a good thing, I don't think people liked being unable to differentiate their skills and carry whole games like you can in other moba's.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? No way the game "died" because of not being able to say gg. That's absurd.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it wasn't more popular. I guess it was just too late to the party.

Personally, I kinda grew out of the whole MOBA genre, back in the DOTA era, when it was still just a custom map for Warcraft 3. I still had tons of fun with HOTS, but I only ever cared about playing against bots. I liked the more casual, yet more varied approach with different maps to the genre. I never like the gameplay aspects of killing your own mobs to deny the gold to the enemy, and the removal of items in general felt better to me. I gave LOL a try at one point, but the mechanics like the runes just left me cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    but the mechanics like the runes just left me cold.
    Funnily enough, they actually tried runes in Heroes during Technical Alpha. Due to, shall we say, passionate feedback, they removed them completely a week later.

10+ Year Old Account
    No PTR, no devs talkin on reddit. Yeah Activision used pandemic to kill finally HOTS. And tbh i'm ok with it.

Entered the market way to late with Dota 2, LoL, and Smite taking up too much of the market leaving no room for an even more casual-based version to have market priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Funnily enough, they actually tried runes in Heroes during Technical Alpha. Due to, shall we say, passionate feedback, they removed them completely a week later.
    Yeah, Diablo walking around with 10k health, regenerating 2.5% health a second with +10% move speed was hilarious as hell.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it's a good thing both teams can't talk to one another. If Overwatch has taught me anything, it's that people will shit
    talk one another when the option is present, even moreso than people will compliment one another. Heroes is toxic enough as
    it is, let's not make it worse.

Like many people have already mentioned, this game came in way too late to the party. Honestly, Overwatch did as well, however
    the only thing that saved it was it's art-style and character designs. But then Blizzard does what Blizzard does and the game has
    quickly died out when no real content was given 2 years after it's release.

LoL and DoTA are far too heavily cemented in the genre to ever be knocked off their platforms, and there is absolutely no more
    room for another MOBA to come in. The best you can do is have small communities of other MOBA-like games like Smite, but
    know that you aren't ever going to hit the numbers of the big 2.

The game should have a lot more PvE elements to make it stand out. I rather enjoyed the event where you fought through waves
    of zerg (and the Heroic mode as well), so more of that would be nice. Considering how fast vs AI is, it shows that there are a lot
    more players playing PvE than PvP (and who can blame them), so Bliz may as well go in on that facet.

Their MM system is beyond salvageable and is by far the worst of any of their games probably being another big facet. It's damn
    well impossible to climb due to the system purposely fucking you over, which why this is, is probably one of the more considerably
    retarded decisions ever made by a developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    blizzard simply assumed the term 'gg' is toxic
    just wow
    Didn't something similar happen with Overwatch too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrion View Post
    u are unable to type 'gg ez', thats different, and done in a humoristic way, cuz when u type it some funny autogenerated sentences appear instead
    anyway yeah, that and the removal of 'sorry' in hearthstone is astonishing. blizzard became a trannyridden gigagreed company a few years back
    they still have a special place in my heart for what they used to be, and i still love to play some of their games

NO KING RULES FOREVER
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    blizzard simply assumed the term 'gg' is toxic
    just wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrion View Post
    I've come to learn that it's not WHAT you say that matters, it's the fact that you said SOMETHING, anything.

When you're reported a number of times, the ban-bot needs to figure out what you did. If you're reported for intentionally dying and the bot sees you died 25 in ARAM you will receive a ban.

If you're reported 20 times for abusive chat but you never say anything ever not even in draft, you will NEVER get a ban. If you're reported for non-participation but still you never said anything and didn't DC out the game too much, you will NEVER get auto-banned.

The last time I was banned was over a year ago, I may have said little things in chat, never abusive things, just things like "team is dumb", or "please don't tell me what to pick" in draft. Also received a ban for dying too many times in ARAM. Since then I turned team chat off and never say anything at all even in draft. I generally behave exactly the same as I did a year ago but no bans any more due to staying silent.