Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Fall Out Boy never covered I Write Sins, Weezer never covered Teenage Dirtbag. What the fuck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Yes all of those were written by Prince but Manic Monday was never recorded or released by him. Nothing Compares 2 U wasn't recorded by him though it was written by him. The Family was a group Prince put together as a side project to record his music not with him in the band. Think of it like One Direction being put together by X Factor with One Direction being The Family and Simon Cowell being Prince without writing anything lol. I Feel For you was both written and released by Prince though.

You exaclty wrote this, so yes you did claim he didnt record them. Also those weren't "performance recordings". all those songs were recorded in the studio for albums. the guy was living in recording studios. in fact such artists produce, write and record many many more songs than you get to see on the final album and in the case of prince it was a huge body of work per album - all recorded, mixed and mastered.

If people wanted to have a song: a quick flip through the past production archives and badabing a selection of songs, (already arranged vocals, instruments etc) he thought were suitable for the respective artist and finally gimme the dollars. thats about it.
    Last edited by Magneto; 2021-05-03 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    A few I noticed weren't in the video:
    - The Sound of Silence covered by Disturbed, original by Simon and Garfunkel
    - Wagon Wheel covered by Darius Rucker, original by Old Crow Medicine Show
    - Holy Diver covered by Killswitch Engage, original by Dio
    - Bad Company covered by Five Finger Death Punch, original by Bad Company
    - Imagine covered by A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
    - Fly Like an Eagle by Seal, original by Steve Miller Band
    - With a Little Help from My Friends by Joe Cocker, originally by The Beatles
    I don't even know who or what "Killswitch Engage" is. Only ever known of Dio.
    I think the problem here is that many of you are YOUNG AF.
    Half the music out to day often young people think they are the "creatORs" of it. Shit has been around since your Dads' time.
    Like Rappers today, half of everything they are, came from the early thru late 90s. Won't hear that from them though.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Whenever I see the band "Dio" mentioned I always mix it up with Blackmore's band "Rainbow." (O..did anyone try to do "Since you were gone?" Because that would be just wrong.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    You exaclty wrote this, so yes you did claim he didnt record them. Also those weren't "performance recordings". all those songs were recorded in the studio for albums. the guy was living in recording studios. in fact such artists produce, write and record many many more songs than you get to see on the final album and in the case of prince it was a huge body of work per album - all recorded, mixed and mastered.

If people wanted to have a song: a quick flip through the past production archives and badabing a selection of songs, (already arranged vocals, instruments etc) he thought were suitable for the respective artist and finally gimme the dollars. thats about it.
    Care to share what album Prince released them on? I don't see anywhere on his discography where they are listed. And do you have the year that those videos you posted were recorded of him singing them inside a recording studio as proof he was the one that recorded them first? I don't see a time stamp on either of those videos you posted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    This ought to help this thread. I could list them all out but it's more fun to listen to the differences.

A few I noticed weren't in the video:
    - The Sound of Silence covered by Disturbed, original by Simon and Garfunkel
    - Wagon Wheel covered by Darius Rucker, original by Old Crow Medicine Show
    - Holy Diver covered by Killswitch Engage, original by Dio
    - Bad Company covered by Five Finger Death Punch, original by Bad Company
    - Imagine covered by A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
    - Fly Like an Eagle by Seal, original by Steve Miller Band
    - With a Little Help from My Friends by Joe Cocker, originally by The Beatles
    Lol are you fucking kidding me? What kind of rock do you live under to think those modern iterations are the originals?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    Let's see. I never knew that Maggie's Farm by Rage Against the Machine was a cover of Bob Dylan's original.
    That entire album is covers, that's the whole point of it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Care to share what album Prince released them on? I don't see anywhere on his discography where they are listed. And do you have the year that those videos you posted were recorded of him singing them inside a recording studio as proof he was the one that recorded them first? I don't see a time stamp on either of those videos you posted.
    unfortunately you also have zero ideas of how album production, song writing, archives, overstock of songs that didnt make the respective album, licensing model, vocal and instrument arrangement with licensing works, but claim to know it all. re read the stuff i wrote.
    im out as this is getting ridiculous. peace.
    https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Originals/master/1565224
    Last edited by Magneto; 2021-05-03 at 11:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    unfortunately you also have zero ideas of how album production, archives, overstock, licensing, vocal and instrument arrangement with licensing works, but claim to know it all. re read the stuff i wrote.
    im out as this is getting ridiculous. peace.
    https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Originals/master/1565224
    So your claim that an album that was released a full three years after his death is somehow showing how he recorded and released those two songs BEFORE Sinéad O'Connor & The Bangles? Dude you are soooooooooo stretching on this argument you're making. The link you even provided said they were demo recordings. Demo recordings aren't songs recorded by artists that are release ready nor are they necessarily songs they will ever rerecord and release. They are simply the singer recording shit to show other people (typically recording labels or other singers they are hoping will record the song instead) that aren't meant to be publicly released. Also I think you failed to read each line that said "MADE FAMOUS BY" meaning the song was made famous because of that person's release of the song. Even going off of Prince recording Manic Monday in 1984 (what your link says) doesn't change the fact that The Bangles released it in 1985 while this whole Prince Originals wasn't released until 2019 (again 3 years after Prince died). Even going off of the fact Prince recorded Nothing Compares 2 U in 1984 doesn't change the fact that The Family (who I listed my first post who is a project band Prince put together) recorded & released Nothing Compares 2 U in 1985 and it was not as popular or famous as the Sinead O'Connor released in 1990.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2021-05-04 at 05:29 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Adding something a little bit different to this list -

Songs that can vary differently (in meaning/feel) between covers.

I'm actually looking at two COVERS here; though often Dylan is credited as the original writer. He is not.

"House of the Rising Sun"
    Originally written by : George Turner/Bert Martin

Covered by many- but the two I'm referring to here are the 1962 Bob Dylan Release (changes the words) and the 1964 release by The Animals (the most famous one).

Grew up on The Animals version, love The Animals version.

Heard the 1962 Dylan version in the last ten years, and it really changes the feel of the whole song. Dylan chose to sing it as the female relating the song in the verses, ("girl" and not "boy" in the lyrics) instead of the man's POV and wow - what a shift in feel to me.

Much like Cash's version of "Hurt" manages to envoke a different tone and feel to the lyrics when compared to Resnor's original -- so too does hearing Dylan sing as 'many a poor girl' instead of boy.

Small shifts that can change everything about a song. Find it really interesting, even without getting into what a statement Dylan made in 1962 to sing it that way. =D
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-05-04 at 07:07 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I Write Sins Not Tragedies - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Panic! at the Disco MADE FAMOUS BY Fall Out Boy

Can someone explain this to me since it's obviously bullshit? :S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Fall Out Boy never covered I Write Sins, Weezer never covered Teenage Dirtbag. What the fuck are you talking about?
    They covered it live but only because it was such a huge hit lol This list is stupid

As others have pointed out, most of the covers listed were laughably wrong (like saying Stacy's Mom wasn't made famous by Fountains of Wayne. That song was literally everywhere for quite a few years).

Even some of the ones that they claim were "made famous by" came out while I was in high school/early twenties and you rarely heard them over the covers on various stations, so it's not just a generational thing.

A better example would be something like
    Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY The Four Lads (though it went Gold in the '50s) MADE FAMOUS BY They Might Be Giants.

I'm in a dour mood...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Oh good, I was expecting you to chime in too, boggles my mind that people were confused about whether the songs from an album of all covers are covers or not.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I think the problem here is that many of you are YOUNG AF.
    Half the music out to day often young people think they are the "creatORs" of it. Shit has been around since your Dads' time.
    Like Rappers today, half of everything they are, came from the early thru late 90s. Won't hear that from them though.
    I've been having that sort of feeling, as well. Watching that one YouTube video someone posted that was akin to this thread, and most of the time I was thinking "who the hell are these people doing the covers? I only know the original because it was popular at the time!" I grew up listening mostly to songs from the 50's to 80's, so my playlist is mostly populated by songs from this generation (some 90's stuff in there, but not much). Even within this time period, quite a few people did covers or remakes of songs.

That being said, sometimes I like the originals, sometimes I like the covers, sometimes I like both (especially if they evoke different tones or change things up drastically). To contribute to the thread while providing an example of a cover I really like: Puttin' on the Ritz was originally from the late 20's, but it got revitalized by Taco making a cover of Puttin' on the Ritz in the 80's. There's actually a couple versions of the song with differing lyrics, but I do thoroughly enjoy Taco's version.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-05-05 at 04:36 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Lol are you fucking kidding me? What kind of rock do you live under to think those modern iterations are the originals?

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing we've got an expert on hand to show me the error of my ways.

One good thing to be said is sometimes a cover will make one curious about the original. For example, Toto"s "Africa" covered by Weezer. Weezer's was so weak in comparison. I thankfully no longer hear Weezer's version anymore, while Toto's is constant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    Good thing we've got an expert on hand to show me the error of my ways.
    No worries, I'll always be here.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.