Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Gear feels useless in Shadowlands

Outside of raiding, pvp and m+ gear feels almost useless. Alts are almost dead. When you are done with "main character activities" there is literally no point to gear up your alt. WHY WOULD YOU?

There is no real need for gear to casuals. Why would you need a better gear? Legion raids are mostly overtuned and getting from 200 to 226 def vont help you that much.
    World quests? Who the F*** even doing them? They are completely pointles. No 450+ mounts achievement, no cool rewards for casuals to achieve.

Whats the point of getting stronger outside of pve progression for most players?

I had a ton more fun on my fresh warlock doing open world stuff and old raids, even the "overtuned" legion raids you talk about after getting to 200 ilvl, i definitely felt the gear progression.
    Doubt it would have been as enjoyable at 160 or 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Josser1990 View Post
    No 450+ mounts achievement, no cool rewards for casuals to achieve.
    Uh, what?
    Last edited by TheLucky1; 2021-05-04 at 02:52 AM.

Really hope this is a troll post. There has never been any point in any expansion to obtain gear outside of doing end game content. Even back in wotlk/cata you could do casual content in greens/blues.

Why play the game, all your gear will just be trash next patch/xpac any ways?
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Casuals have never needed Gear if they don't do End Game content.

Gear has never been more useful than it is now. A 10 ilvl difference can be 1000 or more dps. And 10 ilvl is not much.

If it's not fun anymore, do something else for a while! Treat WoW like your chained partner on heroic Baleroc except they won't move and you're a mage. Blink and run away from it before you emotionally implode.

Hopefully they play to have fun - but if the process of acquiring gear or the power it grants isn't "fun," then it's pointless to the purpose of entertainment from which people usually derive their purpose of paying for the game. If I, for example, put a lot of time into an M+ run and get nothing out of it, man that sure would suck, and after enough of that I may consider that activity no longer worth my time because I'm not having fun. Rewards can be part of an experience, but they aren't always the be all and end all. They can be like an end-cap, where even an activity you normally like doing for its own sake can feel like a negative when there is an absence of something you have come to expect. It's not that you're at zero every time, it's like something you thought you would see is now taken away from you - it's now a negative, instead of a positive. It's a lot more stark a contrast and now if you can come to expect this out of the experience, you may come to associate the experience with loss, or pain, or negativity. So of course, when loot is taken away from M+, of course people can feel like gear is attached to negative connotations - because they can feel like something that is theirs, like a fair drop chance, or loot that should normally be appearing, is now not showing up. So it feels like loss and pain. To put it bluntly, to not receive a reward when you expect it can hurt. But I think people know that already. No matter how small and insignificant a part of the experience a reward is, it is still there. Gear enforces a lot of the experience we see the game through - performance, the progress we feel as numbers go up, the process by which we can determine that we are 'done' with our progression, and more. The reward isn't everything - it's the experiences we have along the way - but like being poked with a hot cattle rod anyone's going to get mad when all those things we come to associate with winning is now a loss. Nobody likes to lose, and that's what gear feels like right now -- losing. Why? Because it hurts, it's like failing to survive, this innate primal reaction that we can't always ignore for too long. Even games that aren't frustrating to lose against or ones you consider fun would get frustrating if you lost incessantly - even to parts of a game that were a miniscule tiny part of the overall greater totality of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Araya View Post
    Why play the game, all your gear will just be trash next patch/xpac any ways?
    to have fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of raiding, pvp and m+ gear feels almost useless.
    So outside of content that needs gear.. Gear has no purpose. Yes.

Alts are almost dead. When you are done with "main character activities" there is literally no point to gear up your alt. WHY WOULD YOU?
    Because it's fun

There is no real need for gear to casuals. Why would you need a better gear?
    Bigger numbers

Legion raids are mostly overtuned and getting from 200 to 226 def vont help you that much.
    Yeah, it will.

World quests? Who the F*** even doing them? They are completely pointles.
    That I will agree with

No 450+ mounts achievement, no cool rewards for casuals to achieve.
    That's not something a casual will get.. That's a hardcore mount farmer

Whats the point of getting stronger outside of pve progression for most players?
    To have fun and have an easier time doing the content you like..?

The first few weeks of an expansion when I’m on that gear scavenge, doing everything I can for an ilvl, is always a tonne of fun.

But it’s been like this forever, it’s not new in SL.

I think some of what they mean...

Is that you used to feel gear upgrades by going back and doing content that used to be somewhat challenging and noticing your strength has increased, but now there is little to no incentive to do that nor does the game steer you towards that at all.

There used to be more incentive to do world content and dungeons (for badges, rep, etc)

The incentive now is all in progressing keys and difficulties and you never really feel stronger. In fact, if you stop paying attention to numbers its easy to more often feel WEAKER as you progress, going the path that they steer you towards.

One of many bad design decisions currently in the game.

Hunter at 220+ ilvl did KSM and i have no intrest to do m+ for gear because the only place where you get it is from weekly chest. I do one 14 key no matter is it timed or not and then raid log. No point trying to farm a spesific drop since i have a bigger chance to win in a lottery than to get the piece i want even at lower ilvl that i could upgrade to 220.

I thought that the point was you raid and get pieces from there and then supplement that with m+ gear not the other way around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't feed the troll guys.

Outside of raiding, pvp and m+ gear feels almost useless.
    what the fuck did I just read?

Eh I've seen better trolls. Decent try though 8/10

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I think some of what they mean...

Is that you used to feel gear upgrades by going back and doing content that used to be somewhat challenging and noticing your strength has increased, but now there is little to no incentive to do that nor does the game steer you towards that at all.

There used to be more incentive to do world content and dungeons (for badges, rep, etc)

The incentive now is all in progressing keys and difficulties and you never really feel stronger. In fact, if you stop paying attention to numbers its easy to more often feel WEAKER as you progress, going the path that they steer you towards.

One of many bad design decisions currently in the game.
    Well said!!
    That pretty much sums up my feelings in SL.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaanuJaanu View Post
    what the fuck did I just read?
    quote of the year so far now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Gear has never been more useful than it is now. A 10 ilvl difference can be 1000 or more dps. And 10 ilvl is not much.
    What classes are doing 10k dps in a raid boss fight at 216 ilvl? Because this is the only situation where what you said would be true. Gear outside of specials like escences and corruption is just as valuable now as it has been in every expansion since WotLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I'm confused. Of course gear is for pvp/raids/mythic+.

Hasn't that always been the case in this game? Well, sure mythic+ only started in Legion.

The problem is quite the opposite. Gear matters and the right gear matters even more, and getting the right gear with no control except the pvp one is an exercise in frustration.
    That is what kills alts for me. Gearing up is hard past 200, farming ash is boring, getting several legendaries can be pricy (not so much atm, but i'm sure it will go back up). I am honestly tired of running the same dungeons just to not get what i need.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-05-05 at 03:12 AM.