Thread: I miss glyphs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Its a system where you earn the power and get stronger, not just buy random shit on AH. Might aswell put raid gear on AH, skip the "time gating" of killing bosses. lul
    Earn it how though?

Through challengeless farming?

How is that superior to buying it?

You don't get max level conduits by doing anything but mythic raiding and I would argue class passives shouldn't be rolled into mythic sire kills or months of dailies. If they were crafted they would even have the added bonus of giving crafters something else to make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    I love how actually having to do something these days to get power is considered evil 'time gating' .

Heaven forbid a game actually want you to play it.
    There is a stark difference between doing something interesting like "glory or the". mage tower, mythic plus and raiding and doing mindless dailies for a month. The fact you compare the two like they are even close to the same thing...well it reflects certain things about you.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    If you can just buy them the instant they become available to you, what is the point of having the system at all? Might as well just skip it and have a little less gold drop. Same outcome, less pieces that could break.
    What's the point of enchanting and gems then, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of glyphs at least at its inception had a lot of just basic damage increases or improving an ability's damage or effectiveness. Thats fine and all but if the Glyph system is ever touched again, it should be something more power negative(No power related) and more cosmetic. doesn't even have to be spells either, an aditional cosmetic specific system is a good thing to have.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yeah they were so cool!

1. Hit max level.
    2. Google "best glyphs fire mage pve"
    3. Go to AH, buy whatever Google search told you to buy.
    4. Insert your glyphs in slots
    5. Forget system exists until you want to switch spec or go PvP.

WOW so much fun! Blizz bring back this super engaging system please!!!!!
    That's a silly argument - considering how most of WoW is already like that. They might as well get rid of Gems, Enchanting, Class Crafted Gear, the Talent System, etc. etc.

It is Blizzard's job as the developers to make the system not do that. And the later iteration of Glyphs were less "go to google and auto-set and you're done" the later iterations were less like that.

Either way, there are a lot of things they could have done with glyphs to make them not specifically needed for throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Its a system where you earn the power and get stronger, not just buy random shit on AH. Might aswell put raid gear on AH, skip the "time gating" of killing bosses. lul
    glyph slots were earned through leveling + unlocking it via profs
    u had fully customizable character after reaching max lvl as a reward for leveling
    now all u earn is reset every content patch for few expansions

now u sit doing daily quests that requires alt tab x times in maw and torghast to unlock basic stuff i guess its better for some of u

dont forget to farm 10x soul ashes in case they nerf ur legendary or make another secondary stats bis
    Last edited by heheszek; 2021-05-05 at 07:48 PM.

Some got baked into classes like mages arcane linguist (I think). But otherwise, there's a pitiful amount of offerings for glyphs and other than relisting the Legion ones on the AH every other day, I forget they exist.

they basically keep removing stuff from the game, then bringing it back as a new cool system ... that u need to farm to unlock .. the longer the better (more subs) and u feel behind if u are not doing it every week

15+ Year Old Account
    Online games are balanced around people who play 20 hours a day, sorry about that.

You need a system, within a system, with rng, then another system with yet another system on top of that to even start to scratch the surface of anything these days. Sorry. Oh, and they will get rid of it at the end of the expansion and reinvent the WHOLE thing over again and it will be a terrible mess until about the last patch of the expansion.. and.. you guessed it.. they will get rid of it again and start the whole shit show over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except there were some fun ones, like "sprint allows you to water walk" for rogue that didn't matter in PvE.

Those were player choice and pretty fun.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    I miss MoP class design, can we have it back?
    Me too, friend, me too. Would do a lot of weird shit to get that type of class design back.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Online games are balanced around people who play 20 hours a day, sorry about that.
    I would argue they failed even by that standard... I don't know anyone who changes conduits beyond mythic raiders and pvpers and both of those groups seem to despise the system.

The rest of the playerbase doesn't seem to care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except there were some fun ones, like "sprint allows you to water walk" for rogue that didn't matter in PvE.

Those were player choice and pretty fun.
    Thats probably why glyphs haven't had much focus. Figuring out a crap ton of those type of power neutral glyphs that are fun and nothing powerwise.

I would argue they failed even by that standard... I don't know anyone who changes conduits beyond mythic raiders and pvpers and both of those groups seem to despise the system.

He said online games are balanced on the 20 hrs of playtime each day not in relation to any specific system. Conduits aren't part of that equation Stuff like Torghast the Maw( /yawn at people moaning about it) conduits aren't really meant to keep you playing forever not inheritably
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2021-05-05 at 08:13 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    What is the difference between that and conduits barring six weeks of grinding the maw to cap them?
    I change my conduits for some bosses *shrug*

Never ONCE changed any glyph. Was a useless system completly.

i absolutely miss glyphs and old talent tree's. was it any less cookie cutter vs today? not at all. What it was is character progression more often. I personally enjoyed getting a new toon decked out with glyphs or adding new talent points each level. you know, normal rpg things.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I change my conduits for some bosses *shrug*

Never ONCE changed any glyph. Was a useless system completly.
    How many and what ones? I know full clearing mythic I change them once...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post

Watch any video on Youtube on the current state of Shadowlands within the past week and you will see that people unanimously don't understand why half the systems are in this game. Why do world quests exist? Does anyone know? Why does soul conduit energy exist? Why were the BFA corruption vendors on rotations? Why is broken stuff added into the game, the feedback on it already given in alpha, then it takes a year to iterate on it and perfect it and you finally get the Legendary vendors even though people suggested them from the start??????
    Does anyone know any of these answers? It's definitely not "because they're fun". So why do they exist?

Watch any video on Youtube on the current state of Shadowlands within the past week and you will see that people unanimously don't understand why half the systems are in this game. Why do world quests exist? Does anyone know? Why does soul conduit energy exist? Why were the BFA corruption vendors on rotations? Why is broken stuff added into the game, the feedback on it already given in alpha, then it takes a year to iterate on it and perfect it and you finally get the Legendary vendors even though people suggested them from the start??????
    Does anyone know any of these answers? It's definitely not "because they're fun". So why do they exist?
    To keep people subbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I dislike glyphs because they allow the game-makers to do and offer less, and we shouldn't allow them to treat us or the game like that. Instead of making our races cast and perform culture-appropriate stuff by default, glyphs which are a way to achieve variations of our spells and abilities, are a distraction and an inappropriate fix/way to achieve customization when our default spells and ability visuals, animations and sound effects need addressing before they can be altered by a glyph. Glyphs are almost obscene because they represent what we get vs what we're excited/asking for. I've been playing since the wc games and love blizzard's races, cultures, worlds, games, art, music, stories, etc, and feel we deserve to have our race's version of their arts reflected in our spell and ability visuals, animations and sound effects. We need culture identity. The game, us, and blizzard could all benefit from this update.

I feel we shouldn't be excited about glyphs as they exist now because they represent a lazy bandaid that pretends to give our race options they should have by default. They should exist as an expansion/variation of our race's specific and culture's version of their arts -and we're not there yet.

I'm fine with glyphs expanding on an already established reality of our characters casting and performing race-specific and culture-appropriate spell and ability visuals, animations and sound effects. We need to get there first, then something like glyphs can alter those spells and ability visuals, animations and sound effects. Glyphs should not be altering base/default/generic stuff - because that means we'll never get the true natures and essences our races deserve. Instead, we'll get glyphs that take the place of an overhaul on our visuals.

We already all cast and use the same exact looking stuff no matter the culture, which is a missed opportunity and sad. Imagine a blizzcon revealing all new-looking spells and abilities made with our culture's honed and inspired art in mind and heart vs the same exact look we all use. Refreshing, revitalizing the game, exciting. Keep the default as an option for those who want to use them.

We need our people's spells and abilities which have been honed and developed separately from one another, in different landscapes, among people with certain affinities, honed by a culture with their beliefs, traditions, histories and heritages, morals, ideals, adeptnesses, etc. Each race's/culture's version of their art would and should be distinct, appear differently , more in tune with their people's ways. Golden firebirds called from the sunny skies for sunwalker tauren, seals, medicine, and traditional pandaren music for a priests protection magic, cloud serpents and crackling jade energy for pandaren sorcerers (mages), and fencing-inspired maneuvers for nightborne melee and tomes and quills that assist during a nightborne's dusky spell casting, etc. We better get this stuff and soon, maybe as an expansion feature -a rediscovery of our people's ways and in doing so we unlock our race's developed art (sort of like artifacts but instead, we're updating all of our visuals with our culture's.)

We should have our race's and culture's identity in our spell and ability visuals, animations and sound effects by default, we shouldn't get to have race-specific and culture-appropriateness identity reflected in our art only by/when sticking something onto us/our stuff. That's shameful and we shouldn't allow it, we shouldn't be so eager because it's not nice to us and not nice for them to treat us or their game like that -have some standards and proper requests.

Glyphs are fine for augmenting our abilities to reflect some small things such as color, appearance, etc, but really it would be best if by default a highmountain tauren's version of efflorescence's (as opposed to a tauren's night elves, etc) was they toss a pine cone at the location and a pine tree sprouts up and grows while a refreshing mountain chill called from the snowy tops of highmountain comes down and encircles the area around the little pine tree, invigorating those who stand in the area, instead of the highmountain tauren needing to apply a tag/glyph to their own spell in order to make them more like their own culture. Perhaps a glyph AFTER we receive a culture-inspired spell and ability overhaul would be the highmountain tauren playing a pinewood flute carved from the branch of a tree atop highmountain, instead of tossing a pine cone, or, snowy winds and tree instead of their regular spell's graphic. A night elf's tranquility should or could by default be that they call the calm of starry night while to the sounds of crickets chirping and growls of nocturnal forest fauna, or they place a small stone/wood lantern on the ground to the dreamy plucks of harp, while gentle owls softly hoot as they soar about. not need a tag to make them more like how their race and culture would. I fear once implemented, we'll never get our race-themed spell and ability visuals.

I fear we'll lose the possibility if race-specific and culture-appropriate spell and ability visuals, animations and sound effects if we embrace glyph system. And then I'll be out because there are very few things blizzard can reveal at blizzcon that would thrill me to want to play more than I already do, I wanted culture identity in our spells and abilities, new weapon holding/stances, a samurai rabbit race, and playable arakkoa. Maybe a few other things as well but these are important to me. And that's another thing -new races or allied races are pointless or sure a lot less exciting if they just cast the same stuff we all already cast. This is why races need to have their own version of the art, otherwise we're all lookin the same. We'll all be excited to play different races because of the different graphics each use!

At the end of the day, people like glyphs themselves because we get to customize and alter ourselves but I think we should by default have race-specific and culture-appropriate spell and ability visuals, animations and sound effects, by default, not when stick something to ourselves that allows us permission. Glyphs can be used for variation of our stuff but should not be celebrated when they allow us to be more like how we should be from the start. I'm just passionate and want the game to be the best it can be and give us, the game, and blizzard fun and enjoyment and longevity. I'm also a little selfish because I really want to see our race's and culture's version of their arts -not just totems and forms. Also, see how excited everyone gets when a playable race is announced for shaman or druid? they can't wait to know what the totems will look like or what the forms will be. Imagine if every race had their culture's identity in most of their spells and ability visuals, animations and sound effects, not just shaman totems and druid forms ahh now you're thinking, now you got it see I'm on to something big.
    Last edited by dunkl; 2021-05-05 at 08:54 PM.

i dont need to watch any video

game itself tells me pretty clearly why
    they want me to sub over and over, if i dont ill be behind so it makes me feel guilty of not subbing
    having alts for spending cool time in game? buy even more subs to keep them up-to-date and spend more time in game doing boring stuff so their numbers are ok -im 100% sure they are happy with theire numbers, they dont care if its real happy players or addicted zombies i m 100% sure todays player spends more time in game because he has to, and im 100% sure that there are more 'same' average players that have never touched what the game has to offer (higher lvl pve, and pvp) in comparison to older expansions