Feature request: have the ignore actually ignore a person.

By this I mean that if I ignore them, I actually do not see their posts at all without needing an addon to actually hide them.

Further more, it also hides any responses to that person.

It really sucks wanting to ignore someone who is just trying to troll and shit on a thread as much as possible and even if you block them, you still see where every post they have and all the dumbasses responding to them and feeding them making the actual substance of a thread unreadable as they intentionally derailed it for 15+ pages because people keep feeding them.

If I ignore someone I would like the ability to actually hide their posts and any post that actually replies to them. That would shrink many threads by several dozen to hundred pages for many of us.

And, unfortunately, the mods, while mostly good intentioned, are not equip to handle this task effectively.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    If I ignore someone I would like the ability to actually hide their posts and any post that actually replies to them. That would shrink many threads by several dozen to hundred pages for many of us.
    But then what about the people responding to them? Would they also need to be hidden, or would you find some posts replying to things that don't exist? And what if the post only had a small mention of the guy on ignore, but was primarily responding to someone else you don't have on ignore, should it still be hidden?

10+ Year Old Account
    By this I mean that if I ignore them, I actually do not see their posts at all without needing an addon to actually hide them.

It really sucks wanting to ignore someone who is just trying to troll and shit on a thread as much as possible and even if you block them, you still see where every post they have and all the dumbasses responding to them and feeding them making the actual substance of a thread unreadable as they intentionally derailed it for 15+ pages because people keep feeding them.

And, unfortunately, the mods, while mostly good intentioned, are not equip to handle this task effectively.
    The only way to hide people's posts responding to a person you have on ignore, is to put them on ignore too. And to hide posts to them, you have to put more on ignore and so on. In the end, easier to leave the forum or just not ready posts from certain people replaying to certain people.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Or people like OP could grow some balls and accept that people have different opinions and it is part of putting on your big boy pants and growing up. Because what OP considers as trolling etc can ofc just be being unable to cope with a different opinion.

There is already a report function if you do think somebody is trolling. Try it out. If it is trolling, mods will infract (ofc not in a world where you think mods are ignorant and support trolling, but to me that just adds to the idea that some people are incapable of dealing with contrary opinions)

But yeah....I once thought we would all grow as people online with the ability to discuss ideas. In reality it seems we rather put people on ignore and only talk in the comfort zone and in echo chambers.

,,,and yeah...I did take my own advice and don't have anyone on my ignore list. And there are easily 10 ppl here who could make it on that list right away
    Humanity for you.

We all process data differently.

And we all manage it differently too.

My ignore list is empty too, I just tend to shrug and move on if it becomes problematic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Or people like OP could grow some balls and accept that people have different opinions and it is part of putting on your big boy pants and growing up. Because what OP considers as trolling etc can ofc just be being unable to cope with a different opinion.

There is already a report function if you do think somebody is trolling. Try it out. If it is trolling, mods will infract (ofc not in a world where you think mods are ignorant and support trolling, but to me that just adds to the idea that some people are incapable of dealing with contrary opinions)

But yeah....I once thought we would all grow as people online with the ability to discuss ideas. In reality it seems we rather put people on ignore and only talk in the comfort zone and in echo chambers.

,,,and yeah...I did take my own advice and don't have anyone on my ignore list. And there are easily 10 ppl here who could make it on that list right away
    Like I only ever put 1 person on ignore and I agree that the current implementation is poor. It's not about "big boy pants", but that person has a tendency to make any thread devolve into a tribalistic crying I've read far too many times and despite not breaking any rules per se (who even moderates offtopic here..), it's just easier to ignore the posts completely than dealing with it over and over again in different threads.

I don't think it should completely hide the replies to them, but it should remove the QUOTE part from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    The only way to do that is with an outright word block, because of the way quotes work. Quotes are just a fancy display and a link. As you can see from this genuine historical quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    Klogaroth is the best poster.
    Outright word blocks are fine for some names, but others would cause a lot of overblocking. If posters figured that's what was happening, I'd wager a bunch of people would also then go and name themselves a bunch of common words. Then blocking them would render the forums borderline unusuable.

If you check the edits on this, not only have I changed your name, it also links to a different post entirely. It's not actually tied to your user, it's just some stuff written out that the site formats a certain way when you put a quote tag on it. Nor is it linked to your post, or even what you said.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2021-05-06 at 11:11 AM.

It isn’t a case of me being afraid to deal with opinions I don’t like.

It is a case of dealing with actual trolls and people who intentionally post in bad faith and lying and others who should know better than to feed them yet continue to do so to the point they derail a thread for 20 straight pages till it takes the moderators stepping in and warning them to drop it or take it to another thread before it ends only to have them do it all again within a few pages with another poster who posts in bad faith.

And when you have a thread devoted to news about a specific topic repeatedly get made to the point where you are skipping that many pages because 3 people go on a tangent either onto a different topic entirely or just trying to call out the lies when they should know enough to just ignore them and move on, you miss anything of relevance which is exactly what the person doing the stuff is trying for. Basically they just want to shit on the page and see how much they can get others to keep feeding them so they can continue to keep shitting on it.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2021-05-06 at 11:07 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    My ignore list is empty too, I just tend to shrug and move on if it becomes problematic.

The only person I got on my ignore list is Themius, because they get off with arguing over literally anything, they're so exasperating...

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    The only way to do that is with an outright word block, because of the way quotes work. Quotes are just a fancy display and a link. As you can see from this genuine historical quote:

Outright word blocks are fine for some names, but others would cause a lot of overblocking. If posters figured that's what was happening, I'd wager a bunch of people would also then go and name themselves a bunch of common words. Then blocking them would render the forums borderline unusuable.
    I would think they could block posts with a specific name in the “quote” block of it.

Mentions would still be unblocked and all, just posts from someone with that name or that name in a quote tag.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think they could block posts with a specific name in the “quote” block of it.

Mentions would still be unblocked and all, just posts from someone with that name or that name in a quote tag.
    But then they would also block more than the quote?

I do not believe the site is capable of achieving what you seem to want. You want the system to also block anyone who quotes or mentions the person as a reply, thus you would technically also block people mentioning or quoting you in their replies too if they happen to talk to you and the person you want to ignore into oblivion, as I do not believe it has a function to actually cut out sections of a person's comment just to give someone a chance to not see a name or opinion being discussed.

Even if you do implement that, what happens to that when people then change their name?

If I have one piece of advice for you, it's this: When playing around with data, NEVER link on name. Since name is the only thing in the quote tag, and is free text (which makes it even worse), any solution is gonna be highly scuffed.

Now maybe the entire posting field is reworked into a new implementation to accomodate for this, but that level of change? I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    The only person I got on my ignore list is Themius, because they get off with arguing over literally anything, they're so exasperating...
    I don’t have too many on ignore but also because it is near useless to do so as well.

But when you are in a thread devoted to one topic only to have it go off into another due to one person outright lying with a known history of lying who just comes in, shits all over the page till the moderators intervene only to come in a day or two later and do it all over again repeating the same lies or trying to take the thread into a tangent and people actually help them pretending they are pushing back. It really gets tiring and annoying dealing with that.

And the moderators on the forum, despite their efforts, just aren’t equip to handle this issue with the level of shit that some sections get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But then they would also block more than the quote?

I do not believe the site is capable of achieving what you seem to want. You want the system to also block anyone who quotes or mentions the person as a reply, thus you would technically also block people mentioning or quoting you in their replies too if they happen to talk to you and the person you want to ignore into oblivion, as I do not believe it has a function to actually cut out sections of a person's comment just to give someone a chance to not see a name or opinion being discussed.
    Simply compare the name of the quoted user to your own ignore list and display a custom message instead of the actual quoted text. It's not hard, I've created a few forums with this feature. Even something as hiding posts which quote ignored users entirely isn't hard to do. When I mean it isn't hard, it's the simplest thing in the world.

Their ignore function replaces posts by ignored users with a custom block which is stupid by itself. As a user if I want to ignore someone, I don't even want to know they're posting.

Simply build upon it and verify if the quoted post has a name on the ignore list and instead of displaying the actual quoted text, replace it with a custom message. This is really simple coding.

I think it's not possible to ignore mods. Another stupid decision. Simply create 2 states for mods posts. Default posting and forced message, when intervening in a thread they would simply check that box and circumvent the ignore list of all users

hell even my first web project in school which was a mini forum had these features
    Last edited by tikcol; 2021-05-06 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Even if you do implement that, what happens to that when people then change their name?

If I have one piece of advice for you, it's this: When playing around with data, NEVER link on name. Since name is the only thing in the quote tag, and is free text, any solution is gonna be highly scuffed.

Now maybe the entire posting field is reworked into a new implementation to accomodate for this, but that level of change? I don't see it.
    Well, to be honest, I wish people couldn’t change their name to avoid the stuff around their name so easily. But that shouldn’t be an issue for the same reason that them changing their name doesn’t remove the ignore either.

And while I know my suggestion isn’t full proof as none is, it would still be better.

Just have it block all posts from a person from your block lists and also any that have their posts replied to, since most who aren’t trying to troll in their responses just hit “reply with quote”.

Mentions will still be seen from you and if they decide to change their name, the previous name would still be on block lists for a least 7 days. By the time it rolled off, so would most thread or pages of threads that people are actively viewing.

But if there is a thread about the Biden presidency, shouldn’t have to deal with 20 pages of straight libertarian philosophy or people who intentionally try and take the threads into the difference between a majority and a plurality win or flat out posting known lies.

I would be lying if a few people aren't on my ignore list and its mostly because they are people that are sociopaths and actually hound people though multiple threads and never let go. Mostly so I don't get notifications from them when they quote me or try to PM me. But beyond this limited number of people it is normally pretty simple to just.. see who is posting and just not read it.. to see who is being quoted and not reading it. It really isn't that hard. Not to mention ban evasion along with ignore list evasion on this forum is pretty much as simple as creating a new account. Sure, some people are attached to there post count or join date for some reason but the truth is you are never cancelled here.

And while I know my suggestion isn’t full proof as none is, it would still be better.
    I'd question that tbh. To put in some scuffed implementation, I'm not convinced it's any better than the user controlled staying clear of a thread once you know it has been derailed to that extent.

My stance on user controlled stuff is that it should try to do what it claims to do. If it doesn't do everything, that's not ideal, but it's better than it doing things you didn't ask it to do in the first place. Collateral blocking would imo render the forum a garbled mess to the point where I'd question why you'd want to use it in the first place.

A better approach might be blocking options, and a seperate word muting function. So you can block threads started by, threads containing, individual posts by. And the same with words; threads with a word, posts with a word.

If you don't even want to see mentions of someone, you're kinda at the point where once they show up in a thread, you might as well bail, cos the thread is gonna go in a direction you're not interested in reading.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2021-05-06 at 12:06 PM.

Could care less about just mentions unless people stop quoting them and instead all just go to mentions at which point they are doing it to avoid the ignore lists and are outing themselves as trolls as well in addition to the people they are replying to.

But just removing those on ignore along with the replies would greatly remove much of the issue.

It shouldn’t go to ignoring an entire topic entirely because a group of people have devoted their efforts to intentionally making it as unreadable as possible. Especially stuff about important or current events all because they don’t like the people or facts involved.

Sounds as bad of an idea as a mega anti-derailment thread to be honest. Half the posts in a discussion would be people responding to ghosts. People you ignore are disappeared. People engaging with them disappear. Or you see them respond to those things but don't really ever see what they are responding to so it's like they are just randomly talking to no one. Then no one has the same lists of ignores so everyone has thier own view of who is a ghost, responding to ghosts, and then wondering if they are ghosted or if other people are responding to ghosts. Messy.

If it's to hot in the kitchen then at some point you got to accept you just order out or leave it to the cooks. If you need an intimate convo with someone about the facts PMs are there. Public forums are kind of pointless if it's surgically censored into an echo chamber of agreement tailored to everyone individually.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-05-06 at 12:52 PM.

There are no plans to change how the ignore system works at this time.