Thread: I miss glyphs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There was a minor glyph that (cosmetically) turned your mage's fireball into a frostfire bolt. Which was a beautiful spell, back in the day. I miss that one.

On my Wrath pserver I still have them! The modern WoW systems are just convoluted season passes that gate your progress, they essentially forced mobile game progression systems in WoW to hold our player power back and think it is the best game design ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    There is a stark difference between doing something interesting like "glory or the". mage tower, mythic plus and raiding and doing mindless dailies for a month. The fact you compare the two like they are even close to the same thing...well it reflects certain things about you.
    Please quote precisely where I even so much as mentioned those. Are you even quoting the right post? If you did, you sure as hell made an impressive strawman.

They are different activities. Sometimes you want high skilled cutting edge gameplay, and sometimes you just want to log in and do something easy. Most games outside of Darksouls don't keep difficulty cranked to the max at all times, especially not RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    or soulbinds/conduit:
    1. Leveling renown level to unlock soulbinds/conduits
    2. leveling conduit ranks
    3. conduit energy for switch conduits
    4. Losing everything when change covenant.

They are the same borrowed power system that achieves exactly the same goal, except glyphs don't need farming.
    Admittedly i haven't played in a few months (due to raid issues) but
    1) Oh no, I have do some story stuff or just play the game?
    2) This is just tied to renown level, or do you mean getting ranks by looting enemies?
    3) you don't farm this
    4) don't change covenant?
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-05-06 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Major glyphs sucked. Minor glyphs were allright.

If it were done again, I would concentrate glyphs on one of 3 different areas.

Area 1: Rotational changes. Things like "Major CD has half duration and CD" or "Filler ability has double/half cost and double/half effects"
    Area 2: Survival, but again with pro/cons. For example - "Spell Reflection no longer reflects spells, but reduces magical damage taken by an additional 5%" "AMS lasts for 5 seconds longer and absorbs 100% more damage but no longer prevents spell effects" "Divine Shield lasts 50% longer but you can no longer take hostile actions" "Deterrence only lasts for 3 seconds but you can use all spells and abilities during it", ect. Along with the other side - "Spell Reflection no longer reduces magical damage taken but has a 10 second reduced CD" "AMS no longer absorbs damage but has a 20 second reduced CD".
    Utility - Again, with pro/cons. Example "Stampeding Roar's CD is reduced by 50% but only affects self" "Vanish affects nearby allies (1.5 second stealth/combat drop) but has a 150% increased CD" "Tar Trap's Radius is increased by 150% but it's duration is reduced to 10 seconds", ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    If you can just buy them the instant they become available to you, what is the point of having the system at all? Might as well just skip it and have a little less gold drop. Same outcome, less pieces that could break.
    Because Glyphs are a permanent increase in character power (Bar Blizzard coming in and removing it just cuz), whereas all that time spent grinding Conduits is going to mean absolutely jack hit - Not just at the end of the expansion, but even next patch, where Conduits drop from M+2 at 239 ilvl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Please quote precisely where I even so much as mentioned those. Are you even quoting the right post? If you did, you sure as hell made an impressive strawman.

They are different activities. Sometimes you want high skilled cutting edge gameplay, and sometimes you just want to log in and do something easy. Most games outside of Darksouls don't keep difficulty cranked to the max at all times, especially not RPGs.

Admittedly i haven't played in a few months (due to raid issues) but
    1) Oh no, I have do some story stuff or just play the game?
    2) This is just tied to renown level, or do you mean getting ranks by looting enemies?
    3) you don't farm this
    4) don't change covenant?
    You are quoting a different person. The one in question was talking about earning resources through challengeless content like torghast and conduits from the maw. I pointed out the folly of seeing that as superior to simply buying them off the ah

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Blizzard died when they removed the trails of fire from the Dreadsteed while running on water. No idea why they removed it beside it being fun and cool.
    Mount equipment. Thank all the people complaining how unfair water strider mounts were so we needed to have any and all mounts be able to water walk.
    It took me awhile to work out why my warlock all of a sudden couldnt still water walk when that changed, kept running into the water and was like WTF stupid buggy crap lol.

I didnt mind glyphs but really they werent much if any different to current conduits except could be incredibly costly over time (originally before they became learnt). Id like the later version where you learn them once and then just choose which you want to use, which requires a reagent to change. But make them somewhat meaningful even if utility. Warlocks having water walking dreadsteed for example was great for a minor, and if there was 2-3 other good solid minors and only say 2 slots leads to preferences in choice to some extent. Majors only if they are more customizing than throughput. So I believe there was a mage one which made fireball or frostbolt into frostfire bolt back in the day. Same damage but made its damage type slightly different to allow less resistance (when that was a thing). So an newer example could be mindflay is 20% less channel time but also deals 20% less damage etc. Might make it less clunky in rotation or less clipping/stopcasting or whatever but functionally no difference in output. Or roll in debuffs from a class that just saves you a GCD instead like say a warlock casting Agony and it also applies curse of tongues/weakness/exhaustion.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Its a system where you earn the power and get stronger, not just buy random shit on AH. Might aswell put raid gear on AH, skip the "time gating" of killing bosses. lul
    How is it any better tho? it is borrowed powers for one patch. Next patch all changes, it is not even expansion consistent.

At least glyphs gave a bit of profession sense and even communication for people to get them crafted. Far more important values than borrowed system powers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Earn it how though?

Through challengeless farming?

How is that superior to buying it?

You don't get max level conduits by doing anything but mythic raiding and I would argue class passives shouldn't be rolled into mythic sire kills or months of dailies. If they were crafted they would even have the added bonus of giving crafters something else to make.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a stark difference between doing something interesting like "glory or the". mage tower, mythic plus and raiding and doing mindless dailies for a month. The fact you compare the two like they are even close to the same thing...well it reflects certain things about you.
    Rude, yikes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I agree.

In the end you do exactly the same stuff with other systems:

- google "system xyz" "class abc"
    - goto icyveins/wowhead guide with the best rating
    - read what good players say
    - do it
    - eventually question some decision based on things you do ingame (level, raid, pvp...)

It is exactly the same, no matter if you use glyphs, artifact sockets (how were they called?), perks or whatever.
    The only difference is that glyphs were less annoying.

So yes, get rid of all those bloated systems and bring back glyphs
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Glyphs should be wither cosmetic or minor changes to non dps abilities like the sprint making you run across the water.
    When you alter an ability it should have a tradeoff, not just an adittion to that ability.
    For example exhilaration gives you 10-20% more heal but only 30-50% of it is instant. Disengage travel time is twice as fast but distance is reduced. Shaman stun totem doesn't need activation time but it's duration is reduced. And so on.
    Last edited by Maell; 2021-05-06 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

inscription is as useful as first aid.

just get rid of it and put the remaining popular glyphs on the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Covenants are so cool

1. Hit max level.
    2. Google "best covenant fire mage pve"
    3. Go to oribos, select covenant you wish to join.
    4. ???
    5. Forget system exists and spend your time doing laps of oribos.

WOW so much fun! Blizz give us more of these super engaging systems please!!!!!
    Exactly, it's bad so why would anyone want more of that in a form of watered down outdated glyph system?? Please strike me with some logic this time instead.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Exactly, it's bad so why would anyone want more of that in a form of watered down outdated glyph system?? Please strike me with some logic this time instead.
    I think it's pretty obvious. Glyphs didn't require any input, just added an element of customisation and wasn't designed to waste my time

The idea is replace not add to.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah they were so cool!

1. Hit max level.
    2. Google "best glyphs fire mage pve"
    3. Go to AH, buy whatever Google search told you to buy.
    4. Insert your glyphs in slots
    5. Forget system exists until you want to switch spec or go PvP.

WOW so much fun! Blizz bring back this super engaging system please!!!!!
    I hope OP is talking about the cosmetic elememt of it. Because the prime glyphs were boring.

The minor glyphs were a fun addition and should be expended upon. New talent trees are boring and prime glyphs are boring.

Now that costumization is scrapped, this is the least thing they can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I hope OP is talking about the cosmetic elememt of it. Because the prime glyphs were boring.

The minor glyphs were a fun addition and should be expended upon. New talent trees are boring and prime glyphs are boring.

Now that costumization is scrapped, this is the least thing they can do.
    Did you even play the game when Prime Glyphs were around?

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious. Glyphs didn't require any input, just added an element of customisation and wasn't designed to waste my time
    So first you claim that you forgot covenant system exists and spend your time doing laps in oribos and now you claim the system requires input and is designed to waste your time.

?????? Pick one maybe?

Conduits are basically glyphs but with more complexity. I'd take that any time over just putting in the same 3 glyphs based on a guide.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Can we have them back?

They added variety to spell were reasonably well balanced and added something for crafters to do. When you hit level cap you just bought the ones you needed and boom your done.

Why can't we just have glyphs instead of conduits and ap?
    Honestly i liked them as well, most of all i liked how, at least early on, they had this trade-off aspect to them.

Like "You get more X, BUT Y is now worse".

Honestly especially given their experiment with corruption i feel there is a way they could re-incorporate this into the game as a meaningful choice customisation system.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Honestly i liked them as well, most of all i liked how, at least early on, they had this trade-off aspect to them.

Like "You get more X, BUT Y is now worse".

Honestly especially given their experiment with corruption i feel there is a way they could re-incorporate this into the game as a meaningful choice customisation system.
    Looking at a list of glyphs in Wrath, very few actually did this.