Poll: Is Warcraft dark fantasy?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Nobledark, you mean. Noblegrim refers to two contradictory philosophies.
    Noblegrim is way to Brightdark for my liking.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Warhammer is definitely dark. Even the Imperium that you praise as the good guys employ Slavery, Servitors and Arco Flagellants are terrifying violations of human life, the Psyker daily sacrifice is fucked up, Hive Worlds are utter Hell and no matter what you do you probably end up in the Warp where Daemons chomp your soul.

40K is absolutely dark. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, no joy or hope. Even if the Emperor came back he would still be a complete tyrant with no regard for your rights.
    Yeah I used to have questions about Warhammer. Then someone here posted something about how the Imperium of Man harvested an entire race into extinction because liquifying their bodies created hi-potions.

I no longer have questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Think a moment about what the light moving means.
    Is it a train? It's a train isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Is it a train? It's a train isn't it.
    Since it's Warhammer, the train is likely also a Daemon Machine.

The game definitely had multiple dark elements in it. Anyone can look at various dungeons and quest lines for reference. Even Easter eggs in the game. I wouldn't classify it as that dark tho. Still Wotlk which was by far the most popular expansion and I would consider the most mature theme expansion out of all of them. (Another very popular IP made by them Diablo...??) I don't think that's a coincidence. Blizzard again fighting statistics. Still I enjoy the lighthearted antics in the franchise from time to time.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-05-06 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Since it's Warhammer, the train is likely also a Daemon Machine.
    Thomas the Daemon engine/train
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Nobledark, you mean. Noblegrim refers to two contradictory philosophies.
    Potato potatoe. I think it is perfectly clear what I meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    The game definitely had multiple dark elements in it. Anyone can look at various dungeons and quest lines for reference. Even Easter eggs in the game. I wouldn't classify it as that dark tho. Still Wotlk which was by far the most popular expansion and I would consider the most mature theme expansion out of all of them. (Another very popular IP made by them Diablo...??) I don't think that's a coincidence. Blizzard again fighting statistics. Still I enjoy the lighthearted antics in the franchise from time to time.
    Sure, but that isn't dark fantasy. Any type of fantasy has dark parts, since if nothing bad ever happens, you're kinda strapped for stories. To count as dark fantasy, the dark parts have to be the majority and primary focus of the setting. A world where it isn't just possible to experience horrible fates and have everything fall apart around you, but where this is the normal way of things.

Dark Fantasy now is just GoT tier rape and mass murder where the good guys always die early and often. It's edgy to the nth degree

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Dark Fantasy now is just GoT tier rape and mass murder where the good guys always die early and often. It's edgy to the nth degree
    Danuser unironically raved about how good GoT S8 was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

It's a saturday morning cartoon with some really disturbing and fucked up stuff in the background. Meaning, they don't make a big deal out of stuff that would make any other story dark and gruesome as fuck. It's not about what's in the story but about how you choose to portray it.
    Last edited by bagina; 2021-05-07 at 07:44 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Thomas the Daemon engine/train
    ~snipped image~
    Sweet shade of Eranikus wtf is wrong with Warhammer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    It's a saturday morning cartoon with some really disturbing and fucked up stuff in the background. Meaning, they don't make a big deal out of stuff that would make any other story dark and gruesome as fuck. It's not about what's in the story but about how you choose to portray it.
    For an example of this- see the jokes and funny sound effects that accompany harvesting human heads in Hillsbrad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    If we are honest though there is a LOT of horrific stuff in the warcraft universe, its just presented in a fun way so it doesnt feel dark.
    For example, orcs enslaving and sacrificing draenie to power the dark portal is pretty fucking dark, but its so damn colorful and spectacular it doesnt feel that way. The horror is watching a light show of magic fly around and some corpses fade away.

Some of the stories are genuinely dark, kids eating their families in the plaguelands, but then you see the ghoul named timmy you chuckle and kill him for lewt.

demon hunters training is dark, but it seems more like exposition to justify their edgy attitudes than genuine horror.

Narratively i'd say its pretty dark, we are currently working with people who stitch corpses together to create abominations and other people who torture naughty behaviour out of people for eternity while preparing to defeat a giant bald person who runs a giant torture dungeon.

Its a dark story told in a light way. Torture fun for the whole family.
    Hah, well put!
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Sweet shade of Eranikus wtf is wrong with Warhammer?

- - - Updated - - -

For an example of this- see the jokes and funny sound effects that accompany harvesting human heads in Hillsbrad.
    Haha well its just a funny fan made art piece, though warp fuckery can come in all forms.

There is a slaanesh daemon world where the entire planet is actually a colossal morbidly obese man curled into a fetal position for example so everything you can Imagine can be a thing in the warp.

There is also solar system sized bloodthirsters of khorne so huge they cover multiple planets in shadow with their wings alone when they fly by and they are not only one shotting planets but also pushing them around.

Same with Solar-system sized space fortresses with walls tens of millions of miles high so everyting you can Imagine.

A little quote to confirm it too and this was just inside a warpstorm.

But at last the Lion grasped its full monstrosity. The fortress spanned a system. The walls was tens of millions of miles high. It was billions of miles long. And though the proximity was lethal, it was still millions of miles away

Its up to the imagination of the chaos gods what they create so the possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-05-07 at 03:27 PM.

I agree with those saying Warcraft is High Fantasy, and has generally always been high fantasy. Yes there's a shift to more marvel-esque format, but Warcraft's never been an innately dark setting.

Dark/grim stuff can still happen in high/epic fantasy, and it happens on occasion in warcraft. But warcraft never really revels in its darkness. The only WC thats maybe dark fantasy is wc1, since the implication at the time is that the orcs pretty much wrecked the world, but that got swiftly retconned in WC2.

I do find it funny that a few people seem to be implying that dark fantasy is inherently 'good' and that by not being it warcraft has a writing issue. WC does have a writing issue, but its not that it isn't dark and edgy enough.

Dark fantasy is something like Dark Souls. Warhammer, Elder Scrolls, Warcraft.. Those there, while they sometimes have dark tones, Warhammer especially, they all borderline parodying themselves as they all have nonsensical moments of ridiculousness where they don't take themselves seriously.

Dark fantasy is something grim, bleak, and well, dark. Warcraft has a huge message of hope, companionship, and rising above adversity. None of that is dark.

Haha well its just a funny fan made art piece, though warp fuckery can come in all forms.

There is a slaanesh daemon world where the entire planet is actually a colossal morbidly obese man curled into a fetal position for example so everything you can Imagine can be a thing in the warp.

There is also solar system sized bloodthirsters of khorne so huge they cover multiple planets in shadow with their wings alone when they fly by and they are not only one shotting planets but also pushing them around.

Same with Solar-system sized space fortresses with walls tens of millions of miles high so everyting you can Imagine.

A little quote to confirm it too and this was just inside a warpstorm.

But at last the Lion grasped its full monstrosity. The fortress spanned a system. The walls was tens of millions of miles high. It was billions of miles long. And though the proximity was lethal, it was still millions of miles away

Its up to the imagination of the chaos gods what they create so the possibilities are endless.
    Reminds me of the Twisting Nether a bit, only difference being there isn't WoW's version of the Chaos Gods yet to do that type of cool shit. Maybe the Titans did shit like that, since apparently "Titan Homeworlds" and whatnot exist, but who knows.

Would be cool if Sargeras rejoined the Pantheon, and the Demons had to make their own Fel Pantheon (AKA The "Chaos Gods" of WoW) to properly recreate a "disorder structure" that didn't just straight up involve tearing themselves apart like they do currently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Would be cool if Sargeras rejoined the Pantheon, and the Demons had to make their own Fel Pantheon (AKA The "Chaos Gods" of WoW) to properly recreate a "disorder structure" that didn't just straight up involve tearing themselves apart like they do currently.
    This quote perfectly shows that you dont know jackshit about warhammer lore.

Mostly kids fantasy maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Reminds me of the Twisting Nether a bit, only difference being there isn't WoW's version of the Chaos Gods yet to do that type of cool shit. Maybe the Titans did shit like that, since apparently "Titan Homeworlds" and whatnot exist, but who knows.

Think they should try being more creative with their own setting themselves imo.

Warhammer 40k have also had almost 40 years to flesh out their setting.

Wow would also be much better off not trying to dig outside their own galaxy or use different timelines etc as you can spend lifetimes fleshing out a single galaxy with lore to make that setting amazing story wise instead of trying to be all over the place and wow's lore is already a huge mess and its only going to get worse for the writing team. Just look at how many people have issues with current day lore in wow.

Think people liked it more when wow was all about the world and the characters so think it would be better to stick with what made it good in the first place. But it's to late now and they have writen themselves into a corner just watch and see.

But im all for surprises and perhaps the writers will turn it around we will see.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-05-07 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    This quote perfectly shows that you dont know jackshit about warhammer lore.
    Would love for you to actually give me an answer like Para did, especially on why you think the Chaos Gods wouldn't be akin to a Fel Pantheon. I mean, the Void in WoW is legit just ripped from HP Lovecraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Think they should try being more creative with their own setting themselves imo.

Warhammer 40k have also had almost 40 years to flesh out their setting.

Wow would also be much better off not trying to dig outside their own galaxy or use different timelines etc as you can spend lifetimes fleshing out a single galaxy with lore to make that setting amazing story wise instead of trying to be all over the place and wow's lore is already a huge mess and its only going to get worse for the writing team. Just look at how many people have issues with current day lore in wow.

Think people liked it more when wow was all about the world and the characters so think it would be better to stick with what made it good in the first place. But it's to late now and they have writen themselves into a corner just watch and see.

But im all for surprises and perhaps the writers will turn it around we will see.
    Definitely. WoW got way too fucked regarding power-scaling. Then again, TBC...uhm...didn't really help with anyway lol