Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Drive to work, plug in the car, drive home on a freshly charged battery. People will have to readjust the way they think about energy, but it's not a big deal in a future where potentially every parking space has a plug built into the ground.

Personally, I'm seriously giving the bycicle a thought these days. It's faster than a car (given morning traffic and me knowing the backroutes by bike), it's healthier and way cheaper. I can absolutely see me using the car for groceries and larger trips alone. If I'm not using the incredibly dense public transport network in Europe.
    Yeah, if the people who run your city/country aren't complete idiots, they do care at least a little bit about bike lanes and public transportation. We scrapped our cars entirely and just use those rentable cars that park on every other corner for larger shopping trips. Everything else is done by bike or public. Though we also get most of our vegetables and fruits delivered.

I get that this is not possible in every city but it should be a thing in major cities with a population of more than idk 500k or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You drive more than 300 miles in one day?
    If you must know....I have family that is regularly visited the distance to them to me and back is about 250 miles.

10+ Year Old Account
    You drive more than 300 miles in one day?
    I have occasionally. I believe the longest day of driving was just over 500 miles. Though less range than that would be fine, given available chargers. They're already all along number 1, so that trip would just require them to cover the yellowhead.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, just charge extra to park in spots that have a charger. Everyone who parks in that spot will pay more, regardless if they use the energy. Do it at a sport stadium and people will park fuel guzzlers and pay the extra fee.

By perpetually, I meant as long as the charger is there, not a single car.
    The extra charge would have to be super low. Basically you're thinking of a flat rate, what if there's no other parking spot? Also, in my future EVERY parking spot has a charger in the ground. That's the future. Not selective charging spots like we have now. If I need my car charged (this happens for everyone btw), I'm not going to wait until some dude is done charging and then moves his car. Heck, he probably won't come back out until the morning to get to work.

What we need is every single parking space in a city being linked up to the power cables that are already 1-2m under the paveway next to the parking spot. Every single one. And then we can talk about either paying exactly what you charge for with your CC, which is better for the environment, because smart people not wasting energy get rewarded while people that are wasteful get punished.

Alternatively, handle that "flat rate" through car tax and have the charge for free. Not sure how feasible that is, it's sort of like a social charging program where just owning a car means you are subsidizing people that use a car a lot for work (salesmen) with your tax. Doesn't seem fair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just want to note that this argument is basically just the sunk cost fallacy.

"Oh, we can't invest into electric vehicle infrastructure to make such vehicles convenient and easy to use, we've already invested so much into internal combustion engine vehicular support infrastructure."

There's a whopping amount of infrastructure that's gone into building gas stations and such that gets overlooked on the regular, in these discussions. And no, I don't think distinguishing between privately-funded infrastructure and publicly-funded is appropriate, here, particularly since we'd have to untangle government tax breaks and investments in the oil industry to even begin to start.
    Not sure who you think you're talking to, but you should know by now that silly debate club scoring systems don't work well with me. Don't even respond if you're just going to dismiss stuff based on bullshit like "fallacies". Talk the issue or leave me alone. People throwing fallacies around don't have an argument to make. Or they didn't read my post properly and are arguing against some fantasy argument in their head.
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-05-05 at 10:12 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Let's fuel all cars off of peanuts and sunflower seeds
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

It certainly would give me gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Let's fuel all cars off of peanuts and sunflower seeds
    Oh, you sweet innocent child. You have no idea how much fuel is burned every day, do you...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/h...6hres109ih.pdf

John Kerry announced earlier this afternoon that the Biden administration wants all cars to go electrical, to invite credits for carbon, severely punish damage to the climate, and much more.

What are your thoughts about the Green New Deal?
    I wonder whom this will fall on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

Conservative Californians with Airplane Hangars seem upset.

Maybe you and adjacent California Conservatives can explain why.

10+ Year Old Account
    The “mineral extraction” companies...

Edit: Exxon CEO was Secretary of State... coal companies received fortunes in subsidies, while laying off workers... Now these people want you to ask, who is going to pay? If they didn’t fucking know, they wouldn’t have been so close to Trump and GOP. They are not fighting to keep you from paying... trust me on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Conservative Californians with Airplane Hangars seem upset.
    I saw that today... Why aren’t they pissed that Hollywood elites are infiltrating Texas, but that they are leaving California? Isn’t getting rid of them what they wanted and Texas being the safe heaven against them? I would expect that to be in reverse...
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-05-07 at 04:21 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

If you're not damaging the planet by dumping sewage in rivers or have ten constantly burning tire fires going I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably companies that deserve it.

I'm fine with that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you're not damaging the planet by dumping sewage in rivers or have ten constantly burning tire fires going I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Yeah, I wonder if this is an individual thing? Companies? Countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

I'm fine with that.
    If you believe Joe Biden is going to go after Corporate America you might have wildly high expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much money are oil and coal pushing to stop it? You think it’s a coincidence or do you think they know exactly who will pay?

If you believe Joe Biden is going to go after Corporate America you might have wildly high expectations.
    Then why are conservatives suddenly talking about middle class and the poor not paying their fair share, in response to Biden policy?

Simple question... Is Biden and Democrats targeting “mineral extraction” businesses?

Because if they do... then even asking your original question, seem peculiar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

I'm fine with that.
    In 2021... 20 years after Al Gore... with everything that has been going on...

I refuse to believe there is anyone on this planet, that does not know who will pay for enviormental improvements, such as new green deal.

I also refuse to believe that there is anyone on this planet who doesn’t know who will pay for environmental damage, if nothing is done about the environment.

Anyone taking contrary views on these two concepts, is not being genuine.

Edit:

As Biden exclaimed recently... Trickle down does not work. Any argument that points at the people, as the victims of poor billionaires “being forced” to increase their prices, has ignored at least 50 years of history. Are they forced to increase prices to lobby against Green New Deal? Is their need to pay for fraudulent “science” and marketing campaigns, being forced on the people?
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-05-07 at 05:36 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

The only way this will be individual is some extreme cases.

You mean like bumping up the taxes they'll pay or making the vaccine patent accessible by everyone which hurt those companies stocks?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like bumping up the taxes they'll pay or making the vaccine patent accessible by everyone which hurt those companies stocks?
    Remember that Fox News still argues that the keystone pipeline being shut down, is cutting workers. No mention of it fucking over the oil company...

- - - Updated - - -

If I were a billionaire... how many jobs do I need to create, to have poison in my product? What if I hire 5 times as many workers, as those that will die from my product? It’s not like I am cruel... if I used a less poisonous product, the people would have to pay twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Remember that Fox News still argues that the keystone pipeline being shut down, is cutting workers. No mention of it fucking over the oil company...

- - - Updated - - -

If I were a billionaire... how many jobs do I need to create, to have poison in my product? What if I hire 5 times as many workers, as those that will die from my product? It’s not like I am cruel... if I used a less poisonous product, the people would have to pay twice as much.
    They are also whining that it increased gas prices, even though, the pipeline isn't finished, how the fuck did it lower it in the first place?

The only way this will be individual is some extreme cases.

Oh no after rising 520%, they dropped 6% to only rebound 177>>147>>162
    Pfizer went from 40.7>38>39.5 oh the horror!!

Odd one of the main companies said this would have no impact on them, on top of the fact they already said they wouldn't enforce their patents

Moderna chief executive Stephane Bancel on Thursday shrugged off the Biden administration’s support for suspending patents for coronavirus vaccines, saying drug firms in other countries would struggle to mass-produce a rival to the blockbuster vaccine that has made his company a household name.

Speaking during a first-quarter earnings call, the head of the Cambridge biotech said he “didn’t lose a minute of sleep” after the administration said it would endorse the temporary waiver of patents to bolster vaccine production in developing nations as a way to hasten an end to the pandemic.

Although biopharma executives and lobbyists for the industry said the waiver would undermine US innovation in the pharmaceutical sector, Bancel said the move “doesn’t change anything for Moderna.”

There aren’t enough manufacturing sites or skilled workers to rapidly ramp up the supply of messenger RNA vaccines like the ones made by Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, he said.

“There is no idle mRNA manufacturing capacity in the world,” said Bancel, whose 11-year-old company has faced shortfalls in its European manufacturing supply chain, which includes the Swiss contract manufacturer Lonza. “There is no industry of talented individuals who are skilled in the art of making high-quality and high-purity” mRNA vaccines, he added.

He also noted that Moderna announced in October that it wouldn’t enforce COVID-19-related patents during the pandemic.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    They are also whining that it increased gas prices, even though, the pipeline isn't finished, how the fuck did it lower it in the first place?
    I remember discussing rising gas prices with someone. They were totally cool with ignoring the pandemic and lockdowns = low demand and lower prices. Deer in heads lights when you suggest maybe we should go back on lockdown to lower gas prices again.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I remember discussing rising gas prices with someone. They were totally cool with ignoring the pandemic and lockdowns = low demand and lower prices. Deer in heads lights when you suggest maybe we should go back on lockdown to lower gas prices again.
    Yep, and there was a recent shutdown of one of the biggest pipes by a cyber attack, this will also raise prices, because it is actually finished.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/c...ck-2021-05-08/

Between no one using gas, because of the pandemic, then you have the storm that went through Texas that effected their power grid to not have power to refine, and now a spike in prices because of demand because people are going back to work and moving on with their lives, yes, the prices are going to go up.

And out of all of that, literally none of it has anything to do with Biden, nor Trump. So saying that the prices were low because of Trump is just hilarious coming from Trump supporters.