15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    "Furthermore, none of the jurors were murderers, which makes them unsympathetic to my client!"
    Isn't it fun to watch when a racist system turns on some racist and how they are suddenly all about sympathy, fairness, consequences, and shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Isn't it fun to watch when a racist system turns on some racist and how they are suddenly all about sympathy, fairness, consequences, and shit?
    It’s fun to watch when they are rocking out to Rage Against the Machine... but, making the ACAB case, as a defense of the cop, is very frustrating. You’d think that two people describing ACAB, would find some sort of common ground. How do you present to someone an argument that there needs to be police reform, when they are using the reason there needs to be reform, as just the expected norm... it’s expected that cops will lie as jurors to protect other cops, regardless if a higher ranking cop details how protocols were broken...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It’s fun to watch when they are rocking out to Rage Against the Machine... but, making the ACAB case, as a defense of the cop, is very frustrating. You’d think that two people describing ACAB, would find some sort of common ground. How do you present to someone an argument that there needs to be police reform, when they are using the reason there needs to be reform, as just the expected norm... it’s expected that cops will lie as jurors to protect other cops, regardless if a higher ranking cop details how protocols were broken...
    Does the US have some kind of system in place to protect cops that "rat out" other cops? Because my country is lacking that and it shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Does the US have some kind of system in place to protect cops that "rat out" other cops? Because my country is lacking that and it shows.
    Even if there were, unless the culture within the Police departments change, too many "good" cops will continue to ostracize the "rat".

10+ Year Old Account
    There is whistleblower protection, but your life is still ruined. It costs you your career and likely work friends... it’s a major hassle in general... you have to make sacrifices and there is no law that can keep that from happening.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2021/0...d-be-arrested/

Cool, so recording fascist pigs in Florida is grounds for being arrested, and fascist judges seem to be pretty cool with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Cool, so recording fascist pigs in Florida is grounds for being arrested, and fascist judges seem to be pretty cool with this.
    Honestly, this is most definitely a First Amendment issue.

10+ Year Old Account

Meanwhile, in a rational country (presented to demonstrate how batshit the USA's stances on these things are);

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ideo-1.6016652

Cop shows up to harass a transgender woman in Hamilton; her superintendent filed a bullshit claim because of a long-standing dispute. The officer is abusive, she refuses to open the door more than a crack, and the officer knows she's got a camera on him because they point it out as they walk up. As it's clear they're not getting anywhere, she makes a crack about not letting them bully her, and he lunges at the door (still cracked open). Just lunges; he immediately stops. And then walks away chuckling.

Not only is that film totally considered lawful to take, but that officer's been put on desk duty where he won't have contact with the public and has been charged with assault. If he's convicted, he's out of the force and won't be allowed to work in policing anywhere in Canada. And it's about as certain he'll be convicted as it was with Chauvin, given the crystal clear footage and audio.

To repeat; he never touched her or her property unlawfully and never even really made an effort to to so. He "just" tried to scare/intimidate her. That's all it takes for this to end this man's career, here.

Why the hell is it any different in the USA?

Edit: Yes, Canada's police have issues, too. But they're not remotely in the same category as the USA's officers. And we're open to working on police reform, up here, unlike most places in the US. To forestall anyone bitching that we're not perfect.

10+ Year Old Account

2nd judges trial when?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Too many slavers, not enough yardarms.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Meanwhile, in a rational country (presented to demonstrate how batshit the USA's stances on these things are);

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ideo-1.6016652

Cop shows up to harass a transgender woman in Hamilton; her superintendent filed a bullshit claim because of a long-standing dispute. The officer is abusive, she refuses to open the door more than a crack, and the officer knows she's got a camera on him because they point it out as they walk up. As it's clear they're not getting anywhere, she makes a crack about not letting them bully her, and he lunges at the door (still cracked open). Just lunges; he immediately stops. And then walks away chuckling.

Not only is that film totally considered lawful to take, but that officer's been put on desk duty where he won't have contact with the public and has been charged with assault. If he's convicted, he's out of the force and won't be allowed to work in policing anywhere in Canada. And it's about as certain he'll be convicted as it was with Chauvin, given the crystal clear footage and audio.

To repeat; he never touched her or her property unlawfully and never even really made an effort to to so. He "just" tried to scare/intimidate her. That's all it takes for this to end this man's career, here.

Edit: Yes, Canada's police have issues, too. But they're not remotely in the same category as the USA's officers. And we're open to working on police reform, up here, unlike most places in the US. To forestall anyone bitching that we're not perfect.
    It is always impressive how you manage to twist what happened : "Cops shows up to harrass". You meant that someone filed a claim and they came because of procedure because they were ordered to. That they misconduct themselves is another issue. But stop twisting what happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    It is always impressive how you manage to twist what happened : "Cops shows up to harrass". You meant that someone filed a claim and they came because of procedure because they were ordered to. That they misconduct themselves is another issue. But stop twisting what happened.
    Given that they pretty much immediately shifted away from asking relevant questions to harassing the citizen in question, I'm pretty comfortable with my assessment.

They may have been sent to look in to the complaint, but that's not what they did.

But hey, keep going with defending the abusive cop who's potentially facing a prison sentence for the conduct you're defending.

Given that they pretty much immediately shifted away from asking relevant questions to harassing the citizen in question, I'm pretty comfortable with my assessment.

They may have been sent to look in to the complaint, but that's not what they did.

But hey, keep going with defending the abusive cop who's potentially facing a prison sentence for the conduct you're defending.
    You are not that much different from people doing "cancel culture" after all, so I am not really surprised for how you behave.

Btw, where am I defending his conduct ? "That they misconduct themselves is another issue" maybe you missed that part (as usual).

You are not that much different from people doing "cancel culture" after all, so I am not really surprised for how you behave.

Cancel culture isn't a real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cancel culture" is better understood properly as "other people are free to have nothing to do with you when you say or do godawful things". Whining about it is just an expression that you don't like being held accountable for yourself.

Btw, where am I defending his conduct ? "That they misconduct themselves is another issue" maybe you missed that part (as usual).
    When you try and claim he didn't show up to harass this woman. When he did. To the point that he's charged with assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Cancel culture isn't a real thing.
    Cute that you try to deny it.

1 point for trying.

Cute that you try to deny it.

1 point for trying.
    All right, it exists...as long as you mean actions have consequences. In that case it has always existed. It isn't some new thing created in the past ten years.

"Cancel culture" is better understood properly as "other people are free to have nothing to do with you when you say or do godawful things". Whining about it is just an expression that you don't like being held accountable for yourself.

When you try and claim he didn't show up to harass this woman. When he did. To the point that he's charged with assault.
    Classic Endus. You are implying that they went specifically to harass her while they first went because of procedure. That their conduct lead to harassment is something but they did not went there with the intent of doing it. Maybe she got on their nerves and so they try to bully her (which they should not have because they have to behave professionally) is something else.

If you would presented it like : they went to talk about the claim then proceed to bully/harass her out of spite because the conversation went badly, then I would not have say anything because it seems that is what happened, but as usual you did not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    All right, it exists...as long as you mean actions have consequences. In that case it has always existed. It isn't some new thing created in the past ten years.
    So calling the job of someone or business partners to call you out (for something you did or did not) so you lose your job or your career before getting into a court is good according to you ?

So calling the job of someone or business partners to call you out (for something you did or did not) so you lose your job or your career before getting into a court is good according to you ?
    I don't believe I ever used the word "good". I said actions have consequences. And I said it's nothing new. Look back as far into history as you like and you will see "cancel culture"

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic Endus. You are implying that they went specifically to harass her while they first went because of procedure. That their conduct lead to harassment is something but they did not went there with the intent of doing it. Maybe she got on their nerves and so they try to bully her (which they should not have because they have to behave professionally) is something else.

If you would presented it like : they went to talk about the claim then proceed to bully/harass her out of spite because the conversation went badly, then I would not have say anything because it seems that is what happened, but as usual you did not.
    So you're picking a fight by misconstrueing what I said through semantic word games.

Least you've admitted it.

If you lose your job over that kind of call, the issue is either A> you did the shitty thing and deserve to get fired over it, or B> you live in an at-will employment state and your employer was looking for an excuse to get rid of you anyway, because they don't value you at all.

Blaming B on the person complaining is wildly missing the real issue.

Edit:. Also, I'll note that in Canada, it's always A. If it's ever B, you've got grounds to sue for wrongful dismissal.

So you're picking a fight by misconstrueing what I said through semantic word games.

Least you've admitted it.

If you lose your job over that kind of call, the issue is either A> you did the shitty thing and deserve to get fired over it, or B> you live in an at-will employment state and your employer was looking for an excuse to get rid of you anyway, because they don't value you at all.

Blaming B on the person complaining is wildly missing the real issue.
    And you admitted that you mispresented the fact, on that, we agree.