10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And you admitted that you mispresented the fact, on that, we agree.
    Nope. You're inserting that. I misrepresented nothing.

You're mistaking my hypothesizing about intent for "misrepresentation". That's dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nope. You're inserting that. I misrepresented nothing.

You're mistaking my hypothesizing about intent for "misrepresentation". That's dishonest.
    So you are calling me out for being dishonest after you being dishonest ? Kinda funny and ironic, but as I said, classic Endus.

As for the cancel culture part, let me give you an exemple:

my wife is a photographer. One day, a year ago she received a phone call asking her to stop any business relation with another photographer because he was accused of sexual harassment. But there were no claim or suit filed or anything, just "accusation" and they were gathering evidences to file a claim, but in the mean time, they were also calling people to stop working with him or those working with him would also be accused or "cancelled". A year later, still no suit or claim filed.

my wife is a photographer. One day, a year ago she received a phone call asking her to stop any business relation with another photographer because he was accused of sexual harassment. But there were no claim or suit filed or anything, just "accusation" and they were gathering evidences to file a claim, but in the mean time, they were also calling people to stop working with him or those working with him would also be accused or "cancelled". A year later, still no suit or claim filed.
    So, a photographer is getting boycotted. Boycotts aren't new. "Cancel Culture" didn't invent them. They've been used by people of every political affiliation under the sun for countless generations. The very people who claim that "cancel culture is out of control" engage in the same behaviour they complain about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    So, a photographer is getting boycotted. Boycotts aren't new. "Cancel Culture" didn't invent them. They've been used by people of every political affiliation under the sun for countless generations. The very people who claim that "cancel culture is out of control" engage in the same behaviour they complain about.
    Pretty much honestly.... does it suck for the person in question if the accusation was a false one that was made? Sure... but in the end the alleged victim is entitled to make that claim and people are entitled to take that information and choose not to associate with that photographer.

Keep in mind this goes both ways: that photographer is free to sue the alleged victim for defamation if he feels it's needed to clear his name and/or seek restitution if he can prove the false claim led to him losing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    Pretty much honestly.... does it suck for the person in question if the accusation was a false one that was made? Sure... but in the end the alleged victim is entitled to make that claim and people are entitled to take that information and choose not to associate with that photographer.

Keep in mind this goes both ways: that photographer is free to sue the alleged victim for defamation if he feels it's needed to clear his name and/or seek restitution if he can prove the false claim led to him losing work.
    That is the issue here, usually that defamation claim can rarely make up for the business or reputation losses. Your name is forever tainted.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is the issue here, usually that defamation claim can rarely make up for the business or reputation losses. Your name is forever tainted.
    Except, this is false. It only tends to stick in cases where there is enough evidence to make the case to the public, if not necessarily to the courts. Last year the Dota2 esports community had it's time in the sexual harassment spotlight, and a few personallities were fully disowned from it due to their actions coming to light. And how generally abusive they were to people they saw as "inferior" (Not always women, just general staff).
    A few people got accused but showed that A> They had done wrong and apologized and repented, and/or B> it was a claim without merit.
    One person accussed early as there had been stories of inapproprihate behaviour came out and said that yes, he'd acted that way, and that he'd made amends with the parties involved, and that he had acted wrong. The other person in those stories also came out to defend him saying that yes he'd done wrong, but he'd shown that he had made a mistake.
    That person is still around.

So this whole unfairness narrative you're pushing just isn't true.

I'd imagine most cases defamation claims don't happen or don't make up for things because there are enough merit to show the person boycotted is a horrible human being, but not enough to satisfy a court o f law.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are levels of "tainted" reputation.... and normally it is based on how credible the sources of information are to the claim. To go back to Endus example with the cop: you have video of the event taking place... video anyone can see for them selves of behaver that the majority clearly do not like.

That has far... far more weight then a he said/she said situation. Yes your reputation can be damaged even if the accuser doesn't have hard evidence against you... but that tends to not go as far and unless the victim has a very good public reputation you can recover from it by just showcasing your own good public reputation and/or build one.

Their will always be people who don't like you (or outright hate you) and will never trust you based on their perception of how they view you and/or the information they get from the public... but you can't worry about that... you can only just appeal to the people who will give you the time of day and show those people that your not a monster that the others view you as. Reputation hits isn't just some damnation that condemns you to a lifetime of misery unless the hit is something truly horrible... and even in those cases you may not be damned... A lot of people have a poor view of Donald Trump for example (myself included) for the many things he has done. Do you think he thinks his life is ruined at this current time?

You are not that much different from people doing "cancel culture" after all, so I am not really surprised for how you behave.

Btw, where am I defending his conduct ? "That they misconduct themselves is another issue" maybe you missed that part (as usual).
    How often are you going to post on this forum, just to be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    How often are you going to post on this forum, just to be wrong?
    That does not stop you it seems anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    Well there are levels of "tainted" reputation.... and normally it is based on how credible the sources of information are to the claim. To go back to Endus example with the cop: you have video of the event taking place... video anyone can see for them selves of behaver that the majority clearly do not like.

That has far... far more weight then a he said/she said situation. Yes your reputation can be damaged even if the accuser doesn't have hard evidence against you... but that tends to not go as far and unless the victim has a very good public reputation you can recover from it by just showcasing your own good public reputation and/or build one.

Their will always be people who don't like you (or outright hate you) and will never trust you based on their perception of how they view you and/or the information they get from the public... but you can't worry about that... you can only just appeal to the people who will give you the time of day and show those people that your not a monster that the others view you as. Reputation hits isn't just some damnation that condemns you to a lifetime of misery unless the hit is something truly horrible... and even in those cases you may not be damned... A lot of people have a poor view of Donald Trump for example (myself included) for the many things he has done. Do you think he thinks his life is ruined at this current time?
    While I do agree with some of your points, you have to take a "celebrity" as exemple. That guy lives in another world compared to what most people face everyday.

If you take the photographer in my exemple, how can he recover ? Suing those people for defemation could make things worse for instance. Would you take that risk ? He already had his business and reputation damaged.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I do agree with some of your points, you have to take a "celebrity" as exemple. That guy lives in another world compared to what most people face everyday.

If you take the photographer in my exemple, how can he recover ? Suing those people for defemation could make things worse for instance. Would you take that risk ? He already had his business and reputation damaged.
    Generally the only time that sort of thing "sticks", is when there is a huge level of underlying reasons that the accusations bring to the surface. If the photographer you mentioned is not a creep, he'll recover in time.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Generally the only time that sort of thing "sticks", is when there is a huge level of underlying reasons that the accusations bring to the surface. If the photographer you mentioned is not a creep, he'll recover in time.
    So it is all worth it according to you ? If he is guilty, he deserved it, if he is not, who cares ?

The fuck does some photographer potentially losing work because of abuse allegations have to do with anything related to this thread?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    The fuck does some photographer potentially losing work because of abuse allegations have to do with anything related to this thread?
    Because cancelling abusive cops is bad!
    - Lars

So it is all worth it according to you ? If he is guilty, he deserved it, if he is not, who cares ?
    For a guy that came in here all fired up because Endus was, according to you, "twisting things"...you sure don't seem to mind putting words into other people's mouths.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cute that you try to deny it.

1 point for trying.
    "Cancel Culture" is just a right wing dog whistle for complaining that they have to face consequences for their actions.

The right pretty much invented "cancel culture", ostracizing people from society if they weren't the "norm". Gays, transgender, people of other religions, other races, etc. were all pretty much removed from existing in society for being born a certain way.

But people are sick of the right. You're not born an asshole, you choose to be one, and now that the right is facing the consequences for their actions, they're not used to it and are crying giant tears that they're no longer immune to the consequences of being dickwads. Or in the case of police, they're not used to facing the consequences of breaking the law. For all this screeching about being the party of law and order, every time a COP breaks the law, either nothing happens, or they get a nice big pension/retirement package when they're taken off the force. It's almost as if pre 2020, shooting a minority got you a life free of work and worry.

Man, imagine murder being fucking illegal and treated as such, really novel huh? Well, the cops will have their life planned out for them now, after all prison is basically free room and board.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would he need to recover? You said your wife was a competitor and someone has to contact her? Was every customer contacted as well, or just competitors?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ... or cancel culture... The guy in his example, needs to sue the person calling people to lie about him...

Edit: Although, reading the thread, I think his wife made up the call to try to hurt her competitors business.

- - - Updated - - -

Lock her up!!! lock her up!!! Is Hunter Biden guilty?
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-05-07 at 11:53 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I think his wife made up the call to try to hurt her competitors business.
    I think he made up his wife to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I think he made up his wife to be honest.
    My way is more nefarious...

Although, seeing so many people ignore the ludicrous nature of that story, reminds me that I have an overflow of bridges... I simply can’t have prices lower than this... all bridges must go... if anyone wants to take advantage of these never before seen bridge prices, don’t DM me...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why would he need to recover? You said your wife was a competitor and someone has to contact her? Was every customer contacted as well, or just competitors?

- - - Updated - - -

... or cancel culture... The guy in his example, needs to sue the person calling people to lie about him...

Edit: Although, reading the thread, I think his wife made up the call to try to hurt her competitors business.

- - - Updated - - -

Lock her up!!! lock her up!!! Is Hunter Biden guilty?
    I don't think so as I was next to her when she received that call, and yes, the people calling her were calling or messaging every client or partner of that photographer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so as I was next to her when she received that call, and yes, the people calling her were calling or messaging every client or partner of that photographer.
    How do they know his client list? How do you know this wasn’t just a competitor trying to ruin they business? Also, fellow photographers in the area are not “partners”... they are called “competitors”...

Do you have any bridges for sale? I bet you can’t beat my prices... call all of my customers, satisfaction is gueronteed...

Edit: Did anyone that your wife asked about this call, respond with laughter that a competitor is asking about abuse by her competition? After your wife told people, did any respond by saying they don’t know anything about it, but it’s good that she told them?

Edit 2: Yeah, I got a call that my competition is a horrible human being. So, I picked up my phone and called up his clients and partners, to ask if they know anything about it. Isn’t cancel culture a hoot? I mean... how dare someone try to cancel this fine human competitor... I will not besmirch their name, but defend it, by calling everyone and telling them about it. I will not let that call ruin my competition... nope...
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-05-07 at 12:37 PM.