Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You only need a wider and sturdier nozzle, because stronger filament is abrasive and contains larger particles. But, you can do it all on your Ender 3...
    You can, but I find the PRUSA is easier to modify and recalibrate than an ENDER, for me atleast. Ender3 is still epic. I have printed so much shit with it.

That actually looks like a good channel, I will check it out. Im a 3D printer junkie. Its kinda my new vice. I scour the websites like Thingiverse for print in place models. Print in place blows my mind just thinking about the math involved making an aliens face hugger, with all moveable limbs and no assembly required.

Last edited by Beazy; 2021-05-06 at 06:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    You can, but I find the PRUSA is easier to modify and recalibrate than an ENDER, for me atleast. Ender3 is still epic. I have printed so much shit with it.

That actually looks like a good channel, I will check it out. Im a 3D printer junkie. Its kinda my new vice. I scour the websites like Thingiverse for print in place models. Print in place blows my mind just thinking about the math involved making an aliens face hugger, with all moveable limbs and no assembly required.
    I actually got into it a couple of weeks ago... I think it was this thread as the impetus. I’ll get an Ender 3 v2 after the weekend... I’d get it now, but our lawn is out of control and if I buy it, the lawn isn’t getting mowed.

I’ve been doing pi stuff for a few years... I already got everything for OctoPrint...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    .. if I buy it, the lawn isn’t getting mowed..
    You're right about that. This shit took ahold of my life for like 2 months solid.

Its a lot of fun. Even when you print stupid things like Exalted Orbs from Path of Exile. My brother used his stimmy check on a Ender 5+ and its so big he prints Mandalorian helmets with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    You're right about that. This shit took ahold of my life for like 2 months solid.

Its a lot of fun. Even when you print stupid things like Exalted Orbs from Path of Exile. My brother used his stimmy check on a Ender 5+ and its so big he prints Mandalorian helmets with it.
    You also play path of exile? I like you...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sixth-grad...ry?id=77543562

And another school shooting, 3 injured nobody killed thankfully. Apparently a teacher was able to disarm and detain her until help arrived.

Eventually folks will get tired of kids at school getting shot with disturbing regularity. Eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/sixth-grad...ry?id=77543562

And another school shooting, 3 injured nobody killed thankfully. Apparently a teacher was able to disarm and detain her until help arrived.

Eventually folks will get tired of kids at school getting shot with disturbing regularity. Eventually.
    What law would have prevented this?

It's entirely possible to be tired of this happening while still acknowledging the limitations on what results are feasible, despite the oft-repeated and thinly-veiled implication.

Idaho could certainly use a safe-storage law. There's very, very little downside to safe-storage laws, even though they are rarely (if ever) enforced. Responsible gun owners would already be storing their firearms safely. Irresponsible gun owners would likely just ignore the law with impunity. If their own kids' safety isn't enough motivation to properly secure their firearms (as they should), then a law with no teeth is hardly going to make much of a difference. There would, however, still be some benefit felt for the the people on the borderline, for whom such a law would tip them over the edge to safety.

Safe-storage laws are more about unintentional and self-inflicted firearm deaths , though, not this.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What law would have prevented this?.
    The fuck is it up to me to propose a singular, perfect law? Can't we look at like, every other developed nation to see how they manage to not have regular school shootings?

I know this will send folks here into an absolute shitfest, but like, maybe it's time to critically analyze the Second Amendment and evaluate its utility and "effectiveness" in the modern era? Hell, I'm down for periodic reviews of all the Amendments (like with regulations) to see if there is updating needed so that they continue to be effective at their goal as society evolves.

If there are ways that don't involve considering removing guns from the equation in a more meaningful way, I'm all fuckin ears. Seriously, I like going to the range. I like responsible gun owners. I like guns. But I don't like guns so much that I'm down with the continued unacceptable level of gun violence that should absolutely not exist in a developed nation in the 21st century.

10+ Year Old Account
    THe fuck is it up to me to propose A singular, perfect law? CaN't we look at like, every other Developed nation to see hoW they manAge to not haVe rEgular school shootings?
    Nice you-know-what.

I know this will send folks here into an absolute shitfest, but like, maybe it's time to critically analyze the Second Amendment and evaluate its utility and "effectiveness" in the modern era? Hell, I'm down for periodic reviews of all the Amendments (like with regulations) to see if there is updating needed so that they continue to be effective at their goal as society evolves.
    So... you can't come up with any laws that you can justify with an explanation, thus you jump straight to "let's abolish "critically analyze" the Second Amendment".

I mean, I know without even reading it first, that you're about to instantly backpedal in the next paragraph to "but I don't want to ban guns", but seriously...

You think the laws aren't good enough, yet you can't even come up with laws for which you're willing to argue the merits. You don't want to abolish the Second Amendment, yet you can't even come up with how you think we should "critically analyze" it.

Doesn't that get to making you feel like you're providing literally nothing useful to this discussion, then?

If you want something to change, then you have to be able to come up with something concrete. Otherwise, you don't get to just sit back and blame others for shit not changing. At least not unless you want to just blame the criminals who do the acts themselves.

If there are ways that don't involve considering removing guns from the equation in a more meaningful way, I'm all fuckin ears. Seriously, I like going to the range. I like responsible gun owners. I like guns. But I don't like guns so much that I'm down with the continued unacceptable level of gun violence that should absolutely not exist in a developed nation in the 21st century.
    Then your ire and focus should be directed squarely at this subject. Either come up with something, or stop blaming others for not doing what you're incapable of or not willing to do yourself.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

*snip*
    Sorry I'm not an expert across dozens of fields and can't come up with a solution, but just voice my support for people far smarter than I figuring this shit out. I guess even saying that maybe there's a problem and maybe smarter people should look into solutions is a bridge too far or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I'm not an expert across dozens of fields and can't come up with a solution, but just voice my support for people far smarter than I figuring this shit out. I guess even saying that maybe there's a problem and maybe smarter people should look into solutions is a bridge too far or something.
    And yet you didn't say: "I hope that the people who are far smarter than I can figure something out."

What you said was:
    I think perhaps you need to get introspective and consider your motive for saying it the way you chose to. Then you would not be surprised when it's taken with the entirely unsubtle tone with which it was proffered.

Then go back and re-read my first response and seriously ask yourself if it warranted your even more caustic response, or if you were simply embarrassed by being asked a direct question to which you couldn't provide an answer.

Despite your initial condescension, I engaged the topic. Then you flipped the proverbial table. And yet you're claiming to be the one building a bridge? Remarkable. Perhaps take some ownership of your own statements and attitudes.

It also didn't go unnoticed that you completely ignored the portion of my first response that discussed some actual laws and their effects. That bridge is just hangin' there...

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    What law would have prevented this?

It's entirely possible to be tired of this happening while still acknowledging the limitations on what results are feasible, despite the oft-repeated and thinly-veiled implication.

Idaho could certainly use a safe-storage law. There's very, very little downside to safe-storage laws, even though they are rarely (if ever) enforced. Responsible gun owners would already be storing their firearms safely. Irresponsible gun owners would likely just ignore the law with impunity. If their own kids' safety isn't enough motivation to properly secure their firearms (as they should), then a law with no teeth is hardly going to make much of a difference. There would, however, still be some benefit felt for the the people on the borderline, for whom such a law would tip them over the edge to safety.

Safe-storage laws are more about unintentional and self-inflicted firearm deaths , though, not this.
    So you propose a law that you acknowledge probably does nothing?

That's your bridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So you propose a law that you acknowledge probably does nothing?

That's your bridge?
    You're also literally providing nothing at all, and yet you're complaining about the quality of my bridge?

Engage your brain a bit to realize just how utterly ridiculous and childish that is.

Also, should I take this to mean that you think safe-storage laws are worthless? Because otherwise your attempts to denigrate the idea simply because I brought it up certainly would make it seem like you're more interested in stirring some shit than actual rational discussion.

Frankly, I've come to expect that attitude here by now. Doesn't mean it's not still pathetic, though.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    You're also literally providing nothing at all, and yet you're complaining about the quality of my bridge?
    So we're even then? None of us provided anything of value.

Engage your brain a bit to realize just how utterly ridiculous and childish that is.
    The irony. I already provided a bunch of ideas in this thread but was either ignored, met with "let's enforce the laws we have before implementing new ones" or can't be done because reasons.

Also, should I take this to mean that you think safe-storage laws are worthless? Because otherwise your attempts to denigrate the idea simply because I brought it up certainly would make it seem like you're more interested in stirring some shit than actual rational discussion.
    On their own, yeah, can't be enforced, does absolutely nothing for what it should be doing, yep I agree with your assertion, worthless.

Frankly, I've come to expect that attitude here by now. Doesn't mean it's not still pathetic, though.
    Anything else you want to provide or was bringing up a law you yourself think is worthless was your best attempt? I mean, I expect that from the gun-enthusiasts by now. Doesn't mean it's not still pathetic, though.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The irony. I already provided a bunch of ideas in this thread but was either ignored, met with "let's enforce the laws we have before implementing new ones" or can't be done because reasons.
    That’s not irony, that’s hypocrisy... but, not on their part. They is asking for engagement, but are getting the same response you got in this description.

15+ Year Old Account
    That’s not irony, that’s hypocrisy... but, not on their part. They is asking for engagement, but are getting the same response you got in this description.
    I have no idea what you're saying here, sorry.

I think perhaps you need to get introspective and consider your motive for saying it the way you chose to. Then you would not be surprised when it's taken with the entirely unsubtle tone with which it was proffered.
    Man, didn't realize this topic was so delicate and sensitive. Next time I'll clutch my pearls before thinking about posting in this thread, I guess.

Man, didn't realize this topic was so delicate and sensitive. Next time I'll clutch my pearls before thinking about posting in this thread, I guess.
    Stop being a sourpuss that you got called out by someone who can articulate their thoughts well and call you out on your own statements. You wrote them, own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Stop being a sourpuss that you got called out by someone who can articulate their thoughts well and call you out on your own statements. You wrote them, own them.
    "Maybe we should do something about this problem."

"WHY HAVEN'T YOU PROPOSED A SOLUTION YET!"

I don't think that's how discussions really go, but maybe that is here so I'll take my leave.

There is no panacea/one law that would have necessarily prevented any recent shooting. But with stronger gun control laws we can shift the American Cowboy Mentality where guns (as big and shooty as you want) are readily available to solve your problems. So, gun licensing/registration/restriction of high capacity killing machines would probably initially result in an increase in shootings by your dummy "Merica Meh 2nd Mendment right" extremists, but hopefully the culture would change over decades as assault rifles do not continue to circulate and we grow up a little.