Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The success of Classic has really rattled Blizzard - and I love it

Watching Ian squirm in a debate with preach, insisting that "class identity" is something they will focus on - high or hell water - in Shadowlands.

Reading from Gamespot that Classic is "just as popular as retail" - and then watch them shirk to answer if its more popular or not.

The uncomfortable truth that a 15+ year old game - that does not get any extra development, any extra content, any focus - actually CHALLENGES their current product. This is the truth they have to deal with. I absolutely love it.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hR...l=PreachGaming

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo.../1100-6487853/

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yet people continue to insist that Classic is dying and that the 2 week prepatch will kill BC before it starts.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted you to know that I logged in just to say how astronomically dumb this take is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

I think your read is the complete oposite here,he doesnt wanna say classic died a few weeks in to release,because it looks bad that they did it only to have it's pop crash 90%+ in the first weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    Just wanted you to know that I logged in just to say how astronomically dumb this take is.
    No problem. I know it rattles more than just Blizzard.

lets not forget that classic increased wows current sub count by 200% when it got released

but whatever

"Hight acknowledged that there is variation by region between player population for WoW Classic and modern WoW, pointing out that the player base in China is much bigger than Blizzard believed. He said Blizzard believes WoW Classic would have similar player numbers to modern WoW in China, but the game has done better at appealing to subscribers there and also bringing in new players who never played WoW and want the Classic experience."

So in China, Classic is bigger than Retail, whilst in the West, Retail is the bigger title which evens it out to both being about equal in numbers.

Guess that makes conflicting and vague-as-hell reports less conflicting and vague, at least. Either way, looking forward to BC! I'd be surprised if they get that far, but if each Classic expansion keeps being a success retention-wise, then MAYBE they'd go beyond Cata even one day...

Quote Originally Posted by dafuq View Post
    lets not forget that classic increased wows current sub count by 200% when it got released

but whatever
    Wait, it tripled the playercount??

Edit: Ah, no. It doubled the playercount, I must've gotten my percentages wrong.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-05-07 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornquist View Post
    No problem. I know it rattles more than just Blizzard.
    What is it rattling exactly? When a movie studio released a romantic comedy that does really well does it rattle the people who make action movies? They're profitting either way off of customers from two different taste groups.

Don't let tubemongers like Azmogold or Bellular rile you up for views. Shit like the 30% mid-expansion dropoff has happened every expansion. Classic Doubled their content drought subs: Why would people who work on WoW be anything but thrilled at that?

Yeah, I'm sure Blizzard is devastated by the fact that they're making more money. This thread is just full of very smart people.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

Edit: Ah, no. It doubled the playercount, I must've gotten my percentages wrong.
    No, you got it correct. In no reality was it a 200% increase. I suspect what @dafuq is TRYING to say is that it was an increase of 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    What is it rattling exactly? When a movie studio released a romantic comedy that does really well does it rattle the people who make action movies? They're profitting either way off of customers from two different taste groups.

Don't let tubemongers like Azmogold or Bellular rile you up for views. Shit like the 30% mid-expansion dropoff has happened every expansion. Classic Doubled their content drought subs: Why would people who work on WoW be anything but thrilled at that?
    Read my sources. Its not just a "doubling of subs in content drought". Its a 15 year old game - just as successful as their modern iteration.
    A game that does not get any extra development focus. It does not get content patches, updates, or anything else.

It proves they are incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    I still remember people with the "wall of no" and "classic will die in one week" Kinda funny now that Shadowlands is completely dead.
    I think the only "funny" thing here is that every time i come to the classic forum all i see is people talking about retail. Some of you are so obsessed and addiction, its somewhat painful to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Read my sources. Its not just a "doubling of subs in content drought". Its a 15 year old game - just as successful as their modern iteration.
    A game that does not get any extra development focus. It does not get content patches, updates, or anything else.

It proves they are incompetent.
    Why are you so obsessed with retail wow that you come to the classic forum to discuss retail? There is an entire section of the forum dedicated to retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Are people still stroking themselves over how much more super-awesome classic is than retail? How many months has it been?

You realize that any money you spend on these classic versions is going to the same evil company you probably think ruined the game in the first place, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    No, you got the percentage right - As used in the quoted sentence it indicates a tripling of a number.
    Oh, thank you! It was the other dude that had it wrong then. Bodes well for my upcoming math test... Aside from how quick I was to doubt myself on the numbers that is

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    I still remember people with the "wall of no" and "classic will die in one week" Kinda funny now that Shadowlands is completely dead.
    The fact that you lament the use of dishonest hyperbole only to then turn around and use it yourself, is quite funny.

God, this endless "us vs them" is beyond tiresome at this point... Well, I suppose it serves me right for thinking that a single thread on this place could be for genuine positive discussion rather than the endless "Haha Classic best Retail worst!"-stinkshow perpetuating out of this sub.

Before too long the whole "Chinese players don't count!"-horse will get flogged I bet, seeing as how Classic is bigger there than in the West.

Leaving this cesspool.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-05-07 at 11:19 PM.

One game appeals to players who want to mindlessly do things that are fairly easy and simplistic with zero sense of surprise as to what is coming in the story / balancing release.

The other is an attempt at doing the above but adding a spin every year to convince a different group of players with different wants from a video game that they are doing something new and interesting and therefore satisfying.

Its hilarious when people talk about classic vs. Retail and how blizz would at all be concerned over the state of either game... they're laughing their way to the bank watching the sheeple argue that their half is any more significant than the other.

Blizz doesn't care so long as their game is profitable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I think the only "funny" thing here is that every time i come to the classic forum all i see is people talking about retail. Some of you are so obsessed and addiction, its somewhat painful to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you so obsessed with retail wow that you come to the classic forum to discuss retail? There is an entire section of the forum dedicated to retail.
    Feels more like you - a retail player - coming into a classic thread to discuss something you do not like to hear. But whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ohvul View Post
    One game appeals to players who want to mindlessly do things that are fairly easy and simplistic with zero sense of surprise as to what is coming in the story / balancing release.

The other is an attempt at doing the above but adding a spin every year to convince a different group of players with different wants from a video game that they are doing something new and interesting and therefore satisfying.

Its hilarious when people talk about classic vs. Retail and how blizz would at all be concerned over the state of either game... they're laughing their way to the bank watching the sheeple argue that their half is any more significant than the other.

Blizz doesn't care so long as their game is profitable enough.
    This is such a simplistic take.

Maybe the executive overlords dont give a shit. Fair enough.

But do you think the game developers, that give their blood sweat and tears into retail, like to see their work being challenged by a 2005 game?
    And even so, couldnt you imagine the executives going into their office and saying: "What the fuck are we even paying you for?"

Watching Ian squirm in a debate with preach, insisting that "class identity" is something they will focus on - high or hell water - in Shadowlands.

Reading from Gamespot that Classic is "just as popular as retail" - and then watch them shirk to answer if its more popular or not.

The uncomfortable truth that a 15+ year old game - that does not get any extra development, any extra content, any focus - actually CHALLENGES their current product. This is the truth they have to deal with. I absolutely love it.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hR...l=PreachGaming

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo.../1100-6487853/
    Funny thing is WoW classic server populations at at 225000 between America, Europe and Russia. The total population of the top 15 servers in the US alone is 222000. So tell me again that "Classic is just as popular as retail". If this were the case the numbers would be much closer. If anything Classic is there to milk money out of players that are lacking the skill to mythic raid.

Similar to EverQuest progression servers, I don't like the very beginning and I really dislike the live version of the game, but there's a point a few expansions in when there's this sweet spot between having all the good QoL stuff and the game still feels rewarding and fun. For me that was the Cataclysm era in WoW. I played and enjoyed every class, raided like crazy, PVPed like crazy.... just a lot to enjoy. Hopefully Classic lasts that long.

If Classic servers turn out like EQ TLPs, there will always be players wanting to pop in at different eras so it's a good business model for them. And really, even if you're a retail player it's cool to have access to other eras if you aren't feeling the current game or you're waiting on new content.

Should just be a win/win for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

No, you got the percentage right - As used in the quoted sentence it indicates a tripling of a number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.