Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    I also didn't mean all spices, I mean obviously Asian cuisine has spices beyond hot stuff, but really? The most common Korean spicy spice is from South America? Huh. That's crazy! Maybe the Korean War? I'd never really thought of that.
    The same goes for pretty much any cuisine. The most unchanged pre-colonials cuisines are maybe French (not all dishes but a lot can be made without too many oversea spices etc) and Mexican (although it's nearly impossible to find authentic meats, since there were no sheep, cow, pork or chicken in Mexico.) There are also regional dishes in each country that are generally more authentic, China has a lot of these but so do even tiny countries if you know where too look.

Indian, Chinese, Italian, Korean, and the vast majority of other cuisines are vastly different. Most of the traditional recipes (not all) have been lost to time or are stuck in some ancient cookbooks nobody bothers with anymore because the more modern post-colonial food that we associate with these cuisines is far better, and often times significantly different because it uses a lot of ingredients that were previously unavailable.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2021-04-27 at 10:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    They have spices. I wouldn't say those spices are 'spicy'. Truly hot stuff is generally from the americas: chilies. India basically had mustard and black pepper as their hottest spices before American peppers got there. So yeah, via trade mostly. The pepper I would think most identify as iconic in Korean food is a chili pepper originally from S. America IIRC.
    "Ranch" is too spicy for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    "Ranch" is too spicy for some.
    Looking at your location, I can see how that would be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Because it's delicious and they have excellent taste.

You should look up the origins on spicy food.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    You should look up the origins on spicy food.
    Masochism exists, so what, your point?
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Is it spicy? like i eat those samyang buldak 2x noodles and they are fine and i use them in homemade budae jjigae all the time, no hotter than the currys i get at the local curry house i guess. But then i guess england has been pretty spice heavy with a lot of food since colonising such a huge chunk of the world way back when lead to a massive influx of foodstuffs and cooking techniques that have long become a staple to be fair. I know some american folks who can't deal with korean food but i always thought that was them self denigrating like part of the whole "the spiciest thing americans eat is ketchup and bbq sauce" meme. Maybe its just a cultural thing based on what you grow up on. Like personally i find a lot of japanese sweets either too sugary or too mild and thats probably because the english way of making sweets is way more dairy leaning than outright sugarey sweetness or muted tea and blossom sorts of flavours. But reverse the culture and diet of someone and what they grew up on the sentiment would probably be the opposite.

the only Korean food I've really had is Korean BBQ aaaaaaannnnnnddd it's not particularly spicy, unless you want it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Is it spicy? like i eat those samyang buldak 2x noodles and they are fine and i use them in homemade budae jjigae all the time, no hotter than the currys i get at the local curry house i guess. But then i guess england has been pretty spice heavy with a lot of food since colonising such a huge chunk of the world way back when lead to a massive influx of foodstuffs and cooking techniques that have long become a staple to be fair. I know some american folks who can't deal with korean food but i always thought that was them self denigrating like part of the whole "the spiciest thing americans eat is ketchup and bbq sauce" meme. Maybe its just a cultural thing based on what you grow up on. Like personally i find a lot of japanese sweets either too sugary or too mild and thats probably because the english way of making sweets is way more dairy leaning than outright sugarey sweetness or muted tea and blossom sorts of flavours. But reverse the culture and diet of someone and what they grew up on the sentiment would probably be the opposite.
    Bbq sauce can be really spicey if it's made that way, also we are like the chili capital of the world. Idk if other cultures have a dish that's just called chili. Probably just lazy naming conventions but still.

I thought it was always more of the meme when british people drink tap water and talk about the different notes in the water and remark about how it's "too spicy"
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Like personally i find a lot of japanese sweets either too sugary or too mild and thats probably because the english way of making sweets is way more dairy leaning than outright sugarey sweetness or muted tea and blossom sorts of flavours. But reverse the culture and diet of someone and what they grew up on the sentiment would probably be the opposite.
    A lot of the overly sweet Japanese confections are supposed to be had alongside prepared unsweetened matcha, like usucha(thin) or koicha(thick).
    The milder ones are usually eaten alone; outside of the super sweet stuff meant to be paired with matcha, the average Japanese palette doesn't like overly sweet stuff. See: a bunch of Japanese tourists in NYC calling frosted cupcakes "sweet hell." And I'd agree, most American frosting is way too goddamn sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    only korean stuff i can remember being bothered by is this...

i thought i was going to succumb to it... it was so bad...
    That fucking shit is not only 9000 scoville like they claim. No way at all. I've eaten sausages that were 5 million scoville and that piece of shit noodle package almost had me tear up more than that sausage ever did.

9000 scoville is Tabasco level. That thing is NOT Tabasco level...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    That fucking shit is not only 9000 scoville like they claim. No way at all. I've eaten sausages that were 5 million scoville and that piece of shit noodle package almost had me tear up more than that sausage ever did.

9000 scoville is Tabasco level. That thing is NOT Tabasco level...

Personally i like those and think a lot of those youtubers making videos where they puke are massively overacting but then there is the limited edition Buldak mini which is between 4 and 8 times spicier and boy those were the only thing i've ever eaten to make me need some peppermint tablets after. It was spicy beyond tasting good.

The Samyang carbo is probably to most peoples tastes, its only about half as spicy as the black packet ones and also comes with cheese powder and flatter noodles closer to tagliatele, throw in some mushroom, cut up hotdog and spring onion and you got a solid meal.

The Samyang carbo is probably to most peoples tastes, its only about half as spicy as the black packet ones and also comes with cheese powder and flatter noodles closer to tagliatele, throw in some mushroom, cut up hotdog and spring onion and you got a solid meal.
    Those things rock Little market round the corner from me has them in sometimes and my gf buys the entire stock when she spots them

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Those things rock Little market round the corner from me has them in sometimes and my gf buys the entire stock when she spots them
    The college students at the local asda raid the shelf of them like rats on saturdays. The pot noodle and cup noodle abandoned in favour of T H E S P I C Y C A R B O on sale.

Fridges are a new invention. Spices traditionally have been used to preserve food and to mask products that are already spoiled and rotten. Most regions used several methods to achieve that. And depending on geography, people tended to shift in the direction that allowed to achieve that easier. Some regions mostly used salt as a preservative. Some, where climate allowed to grow spicy ingredients, used hot peppers and such. In addition, smoking, drying etc. were also used. Depending on ease of access, traditional dishes shifted in one or several alternative directions.
    So the short and blunt of it - because eating rotten food is easier when you can not taste it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    Fridges are a new invention. Spices traditionally have been used to preserve food and to mask products that are already spoiled and rotten.
    Nah, this is a pop history myth in the vein of vomitoriums.

People who could afford spices in sufficient quantity to "mask spoiled food" generally had access to fresh meat. People back then used spices for the same reason they do now - they either deem it medicinal or simply like the taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Nah, this is a pop history myth in the vein of vomitoriums.

People who could afford spices in sufficient quantity to "mask spoiled food" generally had access to fresh meat. People back then used spices for the same reason they do now - they either deem it medicinal or simply like the taste.
    Yeah, people don’t realize the cost and even where the spice had to come from, as discussed earlier in the thread.

But, my go to in all of these examples is Lutefisk... that lye flavor isn’t a spice...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I know a pretty specific red pepper (the name escapes me at the moment) is native to Korea and was pretty widely available in the past before mega farms. Probably has a lot to do with it.

10+ Year Old Account

Personally i like those and think a lot of those youtubers making videos where they puke are massively overacting but then there is the limited edition Buldak mini which is between 4 and 8 times spicier and boy those were the only thing i've ever eaten to make me need some peppermint tablets after. It was spicy beyond tasting good.

do they still sell them?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    Fridges are a new invention. Spices traditionally have been used to preserve food and to mask products that are already spoiled and rotten. Most regions used several methods to achieve that. And depending on geography, people tended to shift in the direction that allowed to achieve that easier. Some regions mostly used salt as a preservative. Some, where climate allowed to grow spicy ingredients, used hot peppers and such. In addition, smoking, drying etc. were also used. Depending on ease of access, traditional dishes shifted in one or several alternative directions.
    So the short and blunt of it - because eating rotten food is easier when you can not taste it.
    Using spices to mask flavor is a myth. The use of spices as a preservative is also a myth as well. Except using salt. Historical cookbooks are rarely ever seen saying to use spice to cover the flavor of rotting meat. A whole pig cost about the price of a pound of pepper. Spices were reserved for the rich and royalty throughout history. They could afford them but they also could afford to buy fresh meat that was not rotting or spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    do they still sell them?
    I think its like a anniversary thing with a different design on the packet each year? they did a big pack once but now once a year do these smaller one serving ones i think. Baring in mind i dont speak korean but you still hear folks getting them like once and year and boy, they are something. Even a Phal curry is a bit milder.

This for example is a different solo pack but i've seen others in this weird tray.