Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I wouldn't agree, and I'm no fan of SC. The problem is that in a healthy, normal game development, the alpha should be barely playable at all, but all core systems should be fleshed out with coarse detail. Meanwhile, SC has highly polished assets and environments without having any of the core systems present at all. They are just doing the development completely backwards to industry standard / wisdom. Whether it's madness or genius... you be the judge. Every day passing moves it further into madness territory.
    SC is at a stage well before an true alpha where they slowly implement systems and get them to work in the game, it has many of its core systems inplace so claiming it has non is just blatent lying, they have plenty of experience developers from all stages of development so they know what they are doing as is proven by the version of the game that is available.

Making a space MMO with detailed planets, full ship/stations interiors is probably the hardest game to ever make, and thats why we dont see many space games come along often since the community is much smaller no company will take a risk.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    they know what they are doing as is proven by the version of the game that is available.
    What is available doesn't work, and it never will until server meshing is released. Server meshing shows no signs of being released. Without server meshing, there is no game. The development of this game is a massive example of putting the cart before the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I wouldn't agree, and I'm no fan of SC. The problem is that in a healthy, normal game development, the alpha should be barely playable at all, but all core systems should be fleshed out with coarse detail. Meanwhile, SC has highly polished assets and environments without having any of the core systems present at all. They are just doing the development completely backwards to industry standard / wisdom. Whether it's madness or genius... you be the judge. Every day passing moves it further into madness territory.
    What you have described here is one of the notable disadvantages of having an open development like early access. There is a much higher obligation to have a playable game with all the wonderful trappings that brings.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    What is available doesn't work, and it never will until server meshing is released. Server meshing shows no signs of being released. Without server meshing, there is no game. The development of this game is a massive example of putting the cart before the horse.
    As usual you keep talking BS, simple fact is there is a playable version of the game now and whats available does work. There are 7 teams working on server meshing and its not just one thing, server meshing is multiple systems all working with each other and each system has to be developed and implemented for it to work, we backers are constantly updated on what things are being worked on so why dont you stop talking about things you have no clue about.

There is 2 games being made here and SQ42 doesnt require server meshing to work, SQ42 is what the players will get first.

As usual you keep talking BS, simple fact is there is a playable version of the game now and whats available does work. There are 7 teams working on server meshing and its not just one thing, server meshing is multiple systems all working with each other and each system has to be developed and implemented for it to work, we backers are constantly updated on what things are being worked on so why dont you stop talking about things you have no clue about.

There is 2 games being made here and SQ42 doesnt require server meshing to work, SQ42 is what the players will get first.
    You know, SQ42 that thing which was greyboxed a few years ago right? Yup..

What is available does work? I guess the T-posing AI, the server meltdowns and crashes are not real.

I honestly fucking love this thread. It's incredible. Edge posted a page or two back something along the lines of "That sounds like a lot of words to just say "No." to me" and I think that's my take on all 622 pages (and counting) of this glorious, wonderful, shitshow of a thread. Please don't ever let it stop (I mean, it won't, obviously, because Star Citizen is never going to release, but you know what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Was going to ask...wouldn't they have to rework quite a bit on ships to fit with the salvage gameplay once designed? Or will it be designed around existing ships that weren't designed with whatever they come up with for salvage gameplay in mind?

This is what's weird to me about all this, pretty big systems/pieces of content that interact directly with each other seem to be a wildly different stages of development, meaning that they may need to redo existing work as those later systems get finalized.
    This is what confuses me the most. Nothing is designed around its requirements, it is like everything is pumped out so they have shiny assets to sell and the pretense of a game.
    Or perhaps it is because everything gets changed so much they have to scrap previous work, ie Chris saying recently he wanted every single material in the game to have its own values which means having to redo practically everything.

To me it just shows what a bad steward he is of the money he's entrusted with.
    Last edited by 1001; 2021-05-08 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i CANT PLAY the game. it keeps freezing when choosing location, on the loading screen. tried 10+ times now, tried changing settings (it worked ONCE), but it still freezing. it was way more stable when i first decided to back it up in 2019. WAT DO?????? i got it installed on SSD program files folder, so everything is as it should be, yet it still shits itself
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i CANT PLAY the game. it keeps freezing when choosing location, on the loading screen. tried 10+ times now, tried changing settings (it worked ONCE), but it still freezing. it was way more stable when i first decided to back it up in 2019. WAT DO?????? i got it installed on SSD program files folder, so everything is as it should be, yet it still shits itself
    Best thing I can think of would be to try deleting Star Citizen and reinstalling, but... yeah probably going to have to wait for a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    No, there is what amounts to a vertical slice of the game available to play, nothing more. Its basically a glorified alpha demo.
    Bingo. A mostly empty sandbox with little to do, and little that works properly, for a few hours until servers have to restart. I think very few people would care about this game if it wasn't promising miracles over the horizon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Best thing I can think of would be to try deleting Star Citizen and reinstalling, but... yeah probably going to have to wait for a patch.
    question is is it just me or do other ppl get this too?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

I was never too enthusiastic about this one, because I always thought Wing Commander was weak. Privateer was a little more interesting, but the core gameplay of the series was simplistic and repetitive. Now if the guy who created TIE Fighter was crowdsourcing this, I'd pay attention.

Most of the people reading this weren't even born when those games came out. I find that amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The original vision for the game on Kickstarter could have absolutely been made with the money they got from investors and hitting their KS goal (that's the purpose of the goal, to meet funding requirements!). The overly-bloated game Chris Roberts wants to make now? No chance of that then, sure.

No, there is what amounts to a vertical slice of the game available to play, nothing more. Its basically a glorified alpha demo.
    Origional version would of been an updated version of freelancer/wing commander with some walking around a handful of ships, it would of been a decent game but would not have lasted very long, I prefer the current version being made where it is an actual space game with multiple avenues of gameplay.

What you consider a vertical slice is actually more content than some other full versions of a game, just because it doesnt have all its planned features doesnt make the current version any less of a game.

Origional version would of been an updated version of freelancer/wing commander with some walking around a handful of ships, it would of been a decent game but would not have lasted very long
    Not every game needs to last for years and years. I think games are fine being 20 or 30 hours one and done, so long as they were really well executed.

Not every game needs to last for years and years. I think games are fine being 20 or 30 hours one and done, so long as they were really well executed.
    The market is missing an actual space MMO that had a little bit of everything, so the players do actually need a game like star citizen otherwise we just get the same old boring game constantly remade, star citizen may of not been the game players thought they actually wanted but its the game we actually need, we are still getting a single player campaign for the players who might not want the MMO.

star citizen may of not been the game players thought they actually wanted but its the game we actually need
    I bought into the project in 2013 on the promise that I'd get a humble Freelancer 2.0 singleplayer campaign that was 20-30 hours long.

we are still getting a single player campaign for the players who might not want the MMO.
    8 years later and still no campaign in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    I honestly fucking love this thread. It's incredible. Edge posted a page or two back something along the lines of "That sounds like a lot of words to just say "No." to me" and I think that's my take on all 622 pages (and counting) of this glorious, wonderful, shitshow of a thread. Please don't ever let it stop (I mean, it won't, obviously, because Star Citizen is never going to release, but you know what I mean)
    And Kenn, of course, deemed it not important enough to answer Edge's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

I bought into the project in 2013 on the promise that I'd get a humble Freelancer 2.0 singleplayer campaign that was 20-30 hours long.

8 years later and still no campaign in sight.
    2013 it was not the kickstarter version you were even backing at that point you were backing the new version, it took other companies 8 plus years for a basic single player game to be developed.

And since when is 8 years too long to make a single player campaign, other companies with 2-3 times more staff are unable to do it in that time or less so why expect a smaller company to somehow be able to make a much more complex game in less time.

ED does it offer you being able to walk around cities, space stations ships and detailed planets, does it offer actual interesting gameplay in its professions, does it offer consequences for doing bad things bar just being destroyed, all ED offers is basic gameplay with no depth at all so its fun for a short while and then you barely ever play the game.
    Yeah, it does actually.

Does SC? No, no, I didn't ask "will it one day?", I asked does it, now?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

And since when is 8 years too long to make a single player campaign, other companies with 2-3 times more staff are unable to do it in that time or less so why expect a smaller company to somehow be able to make a much more complex game in less time.
    ... Excuse me? I think Duke Nukem Forever is the one and only singleplayer game that has taken longer than SQ42 to come out.