Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    snip
    All the features will work in both games but still SQ42 will be the first game we will get to play properly.

Stretch goals are still nothing to do with how much the game will actually cost to make, the company never once stated that at all and never once said they had all the money they would ever need, a AAA title generally costs 100 plus million to make as it is and to do an MMO on top of that i doubt anyone would know how much it would actually cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    snip
    The game takes as long as it needs to be developed, it cant take any less time than it needs. Ive been waiting decades already for a good space game whats a little more time. I doubt any other game company in the next 10 years will be making anything close to what they are doing with star citizen.

They promised a test version of the game to play and delivered on that promise, so its more than accpetable to put up with occasions performance issues on a developing game.

It doesnt say anything on the main website that they met all thier funding needs, a stretch goal is not an amount of money that means they have enough to make the game they want. Chris even stated it in the kickstarter that depending on funding they would have to choose what game they were going to develop.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-10 at 11:00 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Nope a WoW server is hundreds or more servers all combined and splits the world/zones amongst the other servers so no server will be handling much more than a few zones at the same time, its exactly what SC will do at some point in the near future
    Near future? We talking 2022? More likely we're talking never. you really think they can just have this up soon? LOL!

Stretch goals are still nothing to do with how much the game will actually cost to make, the company never once stated that at all and never once said they had all the money they would ever need, a AAA title generally costs 100 plus million to make as it is and to do an MMO on top of that i doubt anyone would know how much it would actually cost.
    So what's the point of attaching dollar values to the initial funding or stretch goals if they don't matter, either? Does anything matter with this game? Because it sure seems like nothing matters and there's no accountability for anything. You're just happy they're working on something and it all goes ass-up because of terrible mismanagement you've spent years defending then oh well, it's alright.

The game takes as long as it needs to be developed, it cant take any less time than it needs. Ive been waiting decades already for a good space game whats a little more time. I doubt any other game company in the next 10 years will be making anything close to what they are doing with star citizen.
    At the rate they're going, this would also include CIG.

They promised a test version of the game to play and delivered on that promise, so its more than accpetable to put up with occasions performance issues on a developing game.
    I'm not shitting on the game. It's their priorities and time line.

It doesnt say anything on the main website that they met all thier funding needs, a stretch goal is not an amount of money that means they have enough to make the game they want. Chris even stated it in the kickstarter that depending on funding they would have to choose what game they were going to develop.
    Fine believe what you want. You're a hopeless zealot. I'm done.

The trailers for SQ42 are already looking dated and the game clearly is not coming out in the next couple of years at least, where it will be even more dated. What, gonna remake everything again? Because it is not "perfect"? Gonna wait even more? This is the problem with always moving goals forward. At some point you gotta hit the brakes and finish the product, otherwise it might as well never come out. Technology waits for no one and this is not an indie game where graphical experience do not matter.

Kenn, you may have waited decades, but the absolute majority are not that obsessed. You really think that so many people are willing to wait 10+ years for a game that it will still be economically viable (few million at least, each paying 60 bucks)? Really?

So what's the point of attaching dollar values to the initial funding or stretch goals if they don't matter, either? Does anything matter with this game? Because it sure seems like nothing matters and there's no accountability for anything. You're just happy they're working on something and it all goes ass-up because of terrible mismanagement you've spent years defending then oh well, it's alright.
    A goal needs a target does it not, stretch goals only serve the purpose of raising more money and checking how interested the community was in expanding the game even further, the community wanted to make the game CR actually wanted so you anyone complaining just has to suck it up and wait, the company never once stated they had all the money they could ever need to make the game.

A goal needs a target does it not, stretch goals only serve the purpose of raising more money and checking how interested the community was in expanding the game even further, the community wanted to make the game CR actually wanted so you anyone complaining just has to suck it up and wait, the company never once stated they had all the money they could ever need to make the game.
    So wait...are you arguing that the dollar amounts that Roberts and team put against the respective stretch goals were entirely arbitrary and not reflective of the actual costs of those features?

Isn't that like, false advertising or something? Like, you know, straight up lying to their backers?

So wait...are you arguing that the dollar amounts that Roberts and team put against the respective stretch goals were entirely arbitrary and not reflective of the actual costs of those features?

Isn't that like, false advertising or something? Like, you know, straight up lying to their backers?
    The only purpose of a stretch goal is to raise more money, its not to represent how much something costs to make, and any previous backers get a few extra rewards whenever they do reach another goal.

One of the goals that goes from 6 - 9 million gives backers a space suit so did you think an ingame space suit will cost 3 million. Most of the stretch goals just increased by 1 million each time so its pretty obvious it has nothing to do with how much money things cost to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    snip
    You can believe what you want to believe but even the last chairmans letter on the stretch goals funding page has no mention of reaching all thier funding requirements.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-10 at 11:43 PM.

Serious question for someone who casually read this thread from time to time and is not active here at all. What does it take for a user to be perma ban here when its clear all he/she does is lying and arguing in bad faith, resulting in this never ending back and forth? I mean I'll take the infraction for saying this if it ends to that, but I cant be the only one who believe this whole Kenn thing is going too far? He's like a 5 years old who shat their pants, and when you ask if they had an accident, they say no while you can clearly see the poop going down their legf on top of smelling it.

The only purpose of a stretch goal is to raise more money, its not to represent how much something costs to make, and any previous backers get a few extra rewards whenever they do reach another goal.

One of the goals that goes from 6 - 9 million gives backers a space suit so did you think an ingame space suit will cost 3 million. Most of the stretch goals just increased by 1 million each time so its pretty obvious it has nothing to do with how much money things cost to develop.
    So in your alternate reality stretch goals deal with totally arbitrary numbers and we should somehow know that by default, because reasons.
    It is pretty obvious to your headcanon? That is what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So in your alternate reality stretch goals deal with totally arbitrary numbers and we should somehow know that by default, because reasons.
    It is pretty obvious to your headcanon? That is what you are saying.
    The whole defining aspect of a stretch goal is to push something to be greater than it was, it has nothing to do with meeting a funding goal of having enough money to create a project, the company never once stated that they obtained all the money they needed or claimed how much anything would cost to make.

Its seems your not in touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    50 people can be in the same place and you won't have a problem. However, if you have 50 player ships in the same location, your computer will lag really badly, and if there are a lot of explosions happening simultaneously you can crash.
    So basically a 50 player max server trying to have all 50 players in a ship combat would be a disaster. And even if those people never interreacted at all the server would melt down in 2-4 hours. Geez.

- - - Updated - - -

There is 2 games being made and the one we will see is SQ42 which doesnt really require much multiplayer support if any at all
    Then where the flying fuck is SQ42? It was greyboxed years ago supposedly. It has been pushed back over and over and they are trying to keep it all secret. Yet it is 20-fucking-21 and still not out!

- - - Updated - - -

the MMO is years away
    Found the one part of your post that WASN'T complete bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

A game is a pre alpha is not meant for the public to even play so having something to play at all is more than acceptable
    YOU think it is acceptable. You.
    I don't think it is acceptable. I.
    The difference is I'm not trying to force my OPINION on others as a FACT.

- - - Updated - - -

not desperate about anything, im happy to wait as long as it takes to be complete and if by some chance it failed im fine with that also as i accepted that possibility when i backed the project.
    Lol so you're cool with waiting until 2025 or something and totally not having a problem with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    I don't hate the game. I hope it's good someday, because it's right up my alley. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be, and it certainly isn't good now. CIG seems lost, and they seem to have very little respect for their consumers. That's what I take issue with.

Also, dates at the end of trailers mean something. Nobody in this thread (or on the planet, I'd wager) cares that you disagree. You're wrong on this one. Katchii is right when he says that nobody cares if a developer misses a release date, or has to delay a game. The problem here is that it's happened several times. SQ42 had a 2016 release window. It's five years later now, and...? Wasn't there supposed to be a beta sometime last year? What happened to that?

You can honestly tell me that you don't think CIG is miss managing things?
    Ofc you do. Anyone that so adamantly states that the game "has nothing to show for" is in fact being a hater.
    As a EVE fan you should know better, this is what I've been doing in the past days:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1015713...page&t=5h6m51s

I can understand how people out of the loop might think that missing "estimate" dates as mismanaging but that's not the case when keeping said dates is not the main priority. Which as been the stance of CR since the community opened their wallets to him as if he was Jesus Dev.

That is because the ultimate focus is making the features they want to make independently of how long they take. That is the whole point of the project and one of the reasons why it has gathered such a cult following. It's simply putting all these features together into one single game for a niche group of players. Most companies can't or aren't willing to risk doing that for time and money constraints.

The quality of the game is the highest priority so if a feature needs time to do right they will not have a problem in accommodate that into their development.

Their aim with Star Citizen is basically a mix of EvE+ARMA+GTA online but in 1st person at ultra graphic quality without loading screens.
    Imagine modelling every EvE ship inside and out at 1:1 scale? Then full Space stations, full planets at 1:6 scale with realistic environments and weather condition?

Comparisons with Elite go nowhere because it is a single-player game at heart and not even remotely attempting to be a mmorpg at all (some say it has an identity crisis and doesn't know what it wanted to be from the get go).

That's why it doesn't have a global chat or why a player can play offline and still affect the online "universe" economy.

Having a smaller starting budget it focused on making the macro part first. A universe as scientificality accurate possible and then adding gameplay on top of it later. They literally left the hardest things to do for last and the game is paying the price for it. Which is why many features clash or some of the game systems feel cobbled together.

Their way to pull it off is similar to NMS, which is by having small game areas stitched together with itchy transitions along with relying heavily on procedural generation of the same assets copy pasted a billion times with a different colour scheme.

That's the fast way to generate a universe but it makes it impossible to turn into a mmorpg due to it's P2P (Peer2Peer) Networking. The social aspects is very lacking and why some of the most requested features "ship interiors" and "walking around the cockpit with friends" along with Atmospheric planets lost priority to FPS gameplay.

As for WoW comparisons, even dumber.

WoW is a game tailor made for being light on the servers: low poly graphics, slow movement, tab target combat, no physics whatsoever, no player collision, no physical objects, instancing, small game area to track etc

The lower the complexity the servers have to deal with the more at the same time they can deal with. So albeit their servers can handle a lot of wow players, it would crawl if it had to load one big space ships of star citizen much less a planet, but even Unreal Engine would suffer, any engine would.

Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-11 at 03:18 AM.

All the features will work in both games but still SQ42 will be the first game we will get to play properly.
    Unless you know they can't get them to work in both games or either game. There is no guarantee they can figure this shit out and get it working.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh brother. They 'never stated' must be your fallback.

- - - Updated - - -

so its more than accpetable to put up with occasions performance issues on a developing game.
    These people at CiG can do no wrong! They are like gods, we should shower them with more cash or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad not every kickstarter is as fucking warped as this one has been.

Some more cool footage of Bengal anti-torpedo measures in action:

And new toys added to PTU and soon going Live:

A Tank(!) and a new cargo ship big enough to carry it:

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Some more cool footage of Bengal anti-torpedo measures in action:
    Seems like the meta for killing Bengals will be to have 2 or 3 Eclipses/Retailators simultaneously fire their size 9x torpedoes at the Bengal from different directions. The point defense system will be lucky if it manages to take out more than 1 torpedo. Real question will be how many size 9x torpedoes it will take to kill one. As for capturing Bengals, guess it will be about bringing Hammerheads with distortion weapons attached, but we don't know if the interiors of the Bengals have been fully modeled yet (the Javelins didn't have modeled interiors) so there's no telling how boarding will play out.

- - - Updated - - -

The tank is cool, but there is no reason to use it ingame. There are no destructible buildings or fortifications that you need to blow up. If you want to kill people on the ground, any machine gun will do. And we already has a missile launcher attached to a truck for blowing up ships in atmosphere.

I guess it might make sense if there are buildings to blow up in Theaters of War, but that game mode has been in development hell for years and won't be coming out any time soon, perhaps not ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess videos of people hosting tank matches in the hills of Hurston or the forests of Microtech will be something to look forward to.

i recently found out that i may be a father later this year
    i have recently written my will leaving my basic account to my child so that when the game finally releases he may play it and i wont have wasted my money on a game that is taking longer to create than anthem with more budget

Seems like the meta for killing Bengals will be to have 2 or 3 Eclipses/Retailators simultaneously fire their size 9x torpedoes at the Bengal from different directions. The point defense system will be lucky if it manages to take out more than 1 torpedo. As for capturing Bengals, guess it will be about bringing Hammerheads with distortion weapons attached, but we don't know if the interiors of the Bengals have been fully modeled yet (the Javelins didn't have modeled interiors) so there's no telling how boarding will play out.

- - - Updated - - -

The tank is cool, but there is no reason to use it ingame. There are no destructible buildings or fortifications that you need to blow up. If you want to kill people on the ground, any machine gun will do. And we already has a missile launcher attached to a truck for blowing up ships in atmosphere.

I guess it might make sense if there are buildings to blow up in Theaters of War, but that game mode has been in development hell for years and won't be coming out any time soon, perhaps not ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess videos of people hosting tank matches in the hills of Hurston or the forests of Microtech will be something to look forward to.
    It's premature to try and predict "Bengal Killing" meta at this stage.

Tank has plenty of reasons to be used ingame, its cannon is very strong and can one shot small ships.

People are loading it inside the cargo ship and shoot from it by letting the hangar doors open or by putting it on the upper deck:

Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-11 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    It's premature to try and predict "Bengal Killing" meta at this stage.

Tank has plenty of reasons to be used ingame, its cannon is very strong and can one shot small ships.

People are loading it inside the cargo ship and shoot from it by letting the hangar doors open or by putting it on the upper deck:
    The video of the Mercury Star Runner showed him shooting at small and medium sized ships. Nothing bigger than a Constellation, which you can already take down with a small ship.

The only ships with cargo bays that 1. are big enough for the tank to fit in, and 2. can open the doors while in space the tank can shoot out of mid flight are the Carrack (forward cargo bay), the Mercury Star Runner (forward/back cargo bay), the Starfarer (rear cargo bay), and... am I forgetting any ship? That gives you an extremely limited firing view. Basically a subpar turret. If you have manpower to spare to have someone man a tank, you would be better served having that person fly another ship around. Unless the tank can crack Hammerhead shields, that is.

A "tank as an additional turret" idea might have held more water if you could load it in the top hangar of the 890 Jump and push the hangar deck up, thus giving the tank a huge firing arc, but there is no way to load a ground vehicle into the front hangar normally so it'd be really inconvenient trying to get the tank into it, and you're really wasting the huge space of the top hangar of the 890 by not using it for more ships.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-05-11 at 01:43 AM.

snip
    While the stats are probably not final i think i seen somewhere the bengal shields were 12 million, who knows what the hull health is also you its going to take a min or 20 eclipses or 10 retaliators to even have a chance at killing one, also depends on how effective the point defence is so if only 20% of the torps get through then its going to do nothing to it, there is more than enough turrets to shoot down almost anything and a big as gun at the bottom to take care of other targets, a hammerhead would last only seconds in a fight.

Also a bengal is part of a fleet so its not going to be alone. And it will eventually be able to launch fighters and a whole lot of them to defend it.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-11 at 01:47 AM.