Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I felt like I hit the lottery when I bought my 3080 for $700 at bestbuy (not because I'm an employee)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Supply and demand - the silly surge in all sorts of crypto-currencies makes investment-speculators willing to buy at these prices to setup mining-farms of their own + boost their own crypto-investments further.

Best just get a prebuilt if you're in the market for a new pc, if you have the money then some of the mini-pcs out there are actually quite decent and capable despite their size.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LUL. OCUK scalping. Even the retailers are at it
    Guildmate has a oc hardware store - it'the aib increasing prices like mad. He's making the same money as before in terms of profit per card, and often has to buy bundles of shit tier stuff from vendors because otherwise no cards if you don't buy this crate of mousemats.

Overall retailers are making more money because they're selling everything as soon there's stock.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping my PC will last a few more months and waiting to see what AMD sofware will improve with the cards.

Do hope to build a team Red PC at the end of year under 2K euros with a decent enough setup.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Yeah it is not fun. But people selling old cards and raising the price is not the problem. but selling more cards scalping like that is.

Think the bigger problem is/are all the other factors that drive the price and amount of cards so crazy.

Things like:
    - lowering the production of chips ( while the chip makers new that there where 3 console ( xbox, ps, nintendo), 3 gpu generations ( intel, amd, nvidia) comming out at the same time. While also having standard phone, cars etc.
    - covid: see the above. Even if that did not happen, lowering the amount is stupid because you know the factories might close. So lets say they where right and they did not need extra chips. 3 months of backlog to catch up with is a lot. So having stock ready is easy to catch up.
    - scalpers ( real ones) that buy dozens of them.
    - AMD, NVIDIA. For not having systems in place against scalping etc and whole sale of cards.
    - Mining craze. Bad for the environment and costing us cards. 1 of the reasons more countries are banning it.
    - drought in tawian. So no water for chips.
    - few locations to make chips. Still do not get why my country ( netherlands) does not have chip factories. We make the goddamm chip making machines. And in the winter and fall we have to much water anyway.
    - stores who sell multi consoles/gpu to 1 person. In a shortage of them. Like 1 per person. And you need to pick it up in person.
    - mining cards not being a big thing yet. And i must applaud nvidia for once. They get a lot of hate from the Anti raytrace lobby ( tech channels youtube). But they are atleast trying to limit mining on their cards. and make a mining gpu

So yeah we can blame scalpers or miners. But its all of the above that makes the sh*t storm even more diarrhea like.
    Since you mentioned the Netherlands, I m not native Dutch but I m living here for 2.5 years and will be living here for at least the next 4-5 years since I m doing my PhD. Can you explain to me why even retailers are selling GPUs at scalper prices? Even fucking prebuilts are insanely expensive here. If you put the parts on part picker the GPU ends up costing like 1k-1.2k for a 3070. I just dont get it.... even Cex which sells second hand is selling second hand 3070s for fucking 800 euros....

[QUOTE=Delever;53174095]Since you mentioned the Netherlands, I m not native Dutch but I m living here for 2.5 years and will be living here for at least the next 4-5 years since I m doing my PhD. Can you explain to me why even retailers are selling GPUs at scalper prices? /QUOTE]

Simple they want to make the big bucks 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Even fucking prebuilts are insanely expensive here. If you put the parts on part picker the GPU ends up costing like 1k-1.2k for a 3070. I just dont get it.... even Cex which sells second hand is selling second hand 3070s for fucking 800 euros....
    And pre builds are very expensive in most countries i think ( have look abroad to get 1). Thats why i go to computer stores that have been around for a decade or 2 ( or even more). With a lot of positive reviews etc.
    And dutch pre builds are also more expensive because we do not have that many retailers that sell them. Only stores that belong to forgein brand.

And yup prices are insane. And our market is smaller. So less big stores to sell use good stuff. So they out price the little ones here.

For me the problem is that my store can not even get cards at a decent price. ( not even msrp, but not even close). Think it also depend on who many cards a region gets how low/high the price is.

[QUOTE=baskev;53174208]
    Since you mentioned the Netherlands, I m not native Dutch but I m living here for 2.5 years and will be living here for at least the next 4-5 years since I m doing my PhD. Can you explain to me why even retailers are selling GPUs at scalper prices? /QUOTE]

Simple they want to make the big bucks 2.

And pre builds are very expensive in most countries i think ( have look abroad to get 1). Thats why i go to computer stores that have been around for a decade or 2 ( or even more). With a lot of positive reviews etc.
    And dutch pre builds are also more expensive because we do not have that many retailers that sell them. Only stores that belong to forgein brand.

And yup prices are insane. And our market is smaller. So less big stores to sell use good stuff. So they out price the little ones here.

For me the problem is that my store can not even get cards at a decent price. ( not even msrp, but not even close). Think it also depend on who many cards a region gets how low/high the price is.
    do you have any recommendations from where I can be looking for something decent? if not in NL maybe in belgium or germany which ship here

[QUOTE=Delever;53174299]
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post

do you have any recommendations from where I can be looking for something decent? if not in NL maybe in belgium or germany which ship here
    A complete pre build. No clue. I go to my shop tell them what i want. And they and i together start looking at what my budget is and what i want.
    Best is to go and search for computer shops near where you live in the netherlands. And look at all the google reviews. They tell a lot. To few reviews or a lot of negative. And its a stay away from it.

I live in Japan. Here at the store, every new gpu and cpu has a label on it; only one for each person. and legal warning for buying/scalping.
    got my rx6800 powercolor limited edition. in January. There you go, problem solved with basic human decency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I live in Japan. Here at the store, every new gpu and cpu has a label on it; only one for each person. and legal warning for buying/scalping.
    got my rx6800 powercolor limited edition. in January. There you go, problem solved with basic human decency.
    3080 / 3090 FE's are sold 1 GPU per person in germany and only to domestic adresses - international (US) scalpers are a non-issue.

A GPU for MSRP is not that hard to get under such conditions.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    3080 / 3090 FE's are sold 1 GPU per person in germany and only to domestic adresses - international (US) scalpers are a non-issue.

A GPU for MSRP is not that hard to get under such conditions.
    Would you mind to PM me which store? Getting a card isn't that problematic anymore, but I haven't seen anything near MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Would you mind to PM me which store? Getting a card isn't that problematic anymore, but I haven't seen anything near MSRP
    http://notebooksbilliger.de/ is the official NVIDIA partner for FE cards in germany. They sell it for MSRP only, but also only with the domestic restrictions.

Stocks up every few days, use a stock stracker discord + app notification if you really want to buy one, the stocks are lasting for 30-90 minutes, so you dont have to hurry that much, but you need to order in that time frame.

They offer a warranty transfer (link) if you want to sell the GPU. Thats usually not a given with most shops or even amazon.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-05-10 at 06:40 PM.
    -

Since you mentioned the Netherlands, I m not native Dutch but I m living here for 2.5 years and will be living here for at least the next 4-5 years since I m doing my PhD. Can you explain to me why even retailers are selling GPUs at scalper prices? Even fucking prebuilts are insanely expensive here. If you put the parts on part picker the GPU ends up costing like 1k-1.2k for a 3070. I just dont get it.... even Cex which sells second hand is selling second hand 3070s for fucking 800 euros....
    Because the shops themselves are forced to.
    So GPU OEM sells to the cards to a middleman that does the import/export businesses. Because of lack of supply these middlemen need to raise prices to compensate the loss in revenue otherwise probably risk going out of business.
    Then as a result the shops themselves need to also increase the prices because they themselves are buying from a higher price.

Also I can imagine that because of lack of supply and that GPU's are one of the more populaire products shops can sell in order for shops to stay in businesses they need to increase the prices even more because they made need to compensate the overall loss in revenues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Because the shops themselves are forced to.
    So GPU OEM sells to the cards to a middleman that does the import/export businesses. Because of lack of supply these middlemen need to raise prices to compensate the loss in revenue otherwise probably risk going out of business.
    Then as a result the shops themselves need to also increase the prices because they themselves are buying from a higher price.

Also I can imagine that because of lack of supply and that GPU's are one of the more populaire products shops can sell in order for shops to stay in businesses they need to increase the prices even more because they made need to compensate the overall loss in revenues as well.
    So according to this then the prices are never changing because the supply will never be good as it almost never has been even without this nonsense thats going on now.

it's not a decency. it's government regulation. what should've been done everywhere.

i'd really love to see consequences for profiteering in my country

So according to this then the prices are never changing because the supply will never be good as it almost never has been even without this nonsense thats going on now.
    No, because once the supply increases companies would be hard to justify with the inflated prices.
    Don't forget there is enough competition to the point that margins are kind of low for PC parts, so in a normal world with enough supply prices will just go back to (semi ) normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea.....not really sure Japan is a good example for the rest of the world.
    Maybe it has changed allot in the last year or so but PC gaming is a niche in Japan so scalping GPU's may not even be a thing in Japan.
    Scalping furthermore is not the issue, supply is.

Even regular stores are selling GPU"s for 3 times the usual price and that's not because they are all greedy basterds. They are trying to make up the loss in revenue.
    Second "a warning" sounds cute and all but scalpers have a entire system in place to make sure they are the first to know when a new supply arrives and making sure they are the first one to get them all even if stores sell them to a single person at a time. I mean has anybody seen somebody leaving a store with a dozen XBOX Series X and PS5?

15+ Year Old Account
    The lack of restrictions in the US is what allows scalpers to exist. The problem isn't that people wanna make money, the problem is that people wanna make a stupid, unnecessary amount of money due to brain washing.

There's a reason the people who aren't impulse buyers or who happen to er on the side of modesty seem like a silent minority: it's because no one cares about you unless you're making or more importantly SPENDING money.

I've been trying for 4 months I almost bought a 3090 for $1800 but decided against it. Boy was I wrong...

Kinda what other person said. Do people in Japan even have pcs at home? I was there for half a year and never heard of anyone having one. Never in any pictures of Japanese person's houses either.
    Think with the Famicom boom they got the Family "Computer" and never learnt the ways of pcs.

I had a gf there for a while and we installed Unity for for showing a game we developed for few days on their old old laptop. After a while the laptop stopped working, they called some IT guy to fix it. The IT guy said this Unity is probably a virus and because of that the laptop stopped working. Was pretty funny

Lol what the hell. Are you guys seriously expecting government regulations for GPU pricing / distribution, as if it was food during famine?

It's not lack of restrictions that allows scalpers to exist. It's the gaping chasm between supply and demand, combined with manufacturers trying to avoid PR backlash, and not raising the prices. The high price is a natural thing in the free market. You are just expecting someone to hand you a cheap GPU, because you believe you are entitled to it, or that's how much it should be worth? Well, suck it up, there are way more people, willing to pay higher prices for the same thing.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.