Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Night warrior story ending and why people dont like it.

There isnt much to talk about in terms of the latest Ardenweald quests (on PTR) and how we “save” Tyrande from night warrior “curse”. But she also gets a new model in 9.1 which only has one difference - her eyes now glow like other night elves and no longer dark.

But i see some people claiming that night elf fans “overreact” about it and that her losing her anger and focusing more on “going forward and rebuilding rather then on vengeance” is not that bad.

It is quite bad though, and allow me to explain why.

Its simple - every time night elves “rebuild” they only do that to get ruined again later and usually shown more and more pathetic and toothless each time it happens because consecutive losses and humiliations build up an image of not only weak people, but also a people that never learns from their past defeats.

They were rebuilding after Warcraft 3 and then got attacked and ruined in Cata, all their “rebuilding” turned back to zero again.

Then they were rebuilding after MoP after giving up fight for Azshara and they got attacked in BfA and ruined even harder this time, losing not only all what they built in Ashenvale but also Darkshore (which was also ravaged by Cataclysm before) and Teldrassil.

So if they just start rebuilding twice-ruined land for the third time in a row... Well, you can see why that dosent inspire confidence in their fans.

As a recap for those who haven't read the PTR spoilers: After accomplishing zilch, doing nothing against any Horde NPC outside of the bounds of the war vs Sylvanas or doing more than calling Anduin names (and not very rude names either) Tyrande jobs one last time to Sylvanas. Then she accepts love and peace, ridding herself of the terrible cosmic power that allowed her to have positions more moderate than ones she had in WC3 and gave her the ability to kill a guy she should've easily run over anyway:

Astarii Starseeker: High Priestess! Even in the depths of the Maw, I could feel your presence. I knew you would not abandon us.
    Tyrande Whisperwind: Thank you, child... but I nearly did. I was so consumed by the fires of vengeance that I was blind to the ashes at our feet.
    Tyrande Whisperwind: I see now that while many of our people desire retribution, what we need most is renewal.
    As predictable as it is bad.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is great that she goes back.

2 reasons:

That is not Tyrande.
    Night warrior is some sort of a "trance", she could never stay this way and be... sane.

And bonus reason: the night warrior is not going to rebuild the Night Elf culture... which pretty much needs proper guidance at the moment as basically all of it´s basements and a large chuck of its population has been wiped out.

Idk what happens with Tyrande on the PTR, but...

An Interesting thing about the Night Elf society/culture is that they have spent the last 10,000 years until Warcraft 3 NOT rebuilding. Afraid of attracting the Legion back and another Sundering, they purposefully evolved into a primal level culture with the intention of never becoming a vast empire again. They don't really rebuild as much as survive now. Teldrassil was probably the biggest attempt at "rebuilding" for them, and even that was more about restoring immortality than establishing a new Capital like the Orcs did with Orgrimmar.

If Night Elves truly wanted to rebuild the society they once had it would have meant returning to the last shining symbol of that society, Suramar. Restoring Night Elves and Nightborne as one people, as the Kaldorei. Embracing the older ways that were preserved in that city, rather than clinging to the current "survival in hiding" mindest. They no longer need to fear the return of the Legion, the Old Gods, or the corruption that once destroyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

2 reasons:

That is not Tyrande.
    Night warrior is some sort of a "trance", she could never stay this way and be... sane.

And bonus reason: the night warrior is not going to rebuild the Night Elf culture... which pretty much needs proper guidance at the moment as basically all of it´s basements and a large chuck of its population has been wiped out.
    but it's just more of nothing really happening. Wow... look at this unstable barely controlled or understood power beyond mortal ken... oh wait nvm it's cast off and everything is totally fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Its simple - every time night elves “rebuild” they only do that to get ruined again later and usually shown more and more pathetic and toothless each time it happens because consecutive losses and humiliations build up an image of not only weak people, but also a people that never learns from their past defeats.
    Ye, people rebuilding after WWI were just dumb and pathetic, didn't they know there will be WWII? What's the point of effort?

I mean... doesn't that sound silly? It does, yeah?

There are a few different reasons that more or less coalesce anyway for why you might be bothered by the entire Night Warrior thing and particularly how it comes to an end. But a good way to boil it down is:

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

2 reasons:

That is not Tyrande.

“Rebuilding” will not do anything without vengeance. Just coming “back to the kitchen” which is now also missing two walls and covered in ashes and start sweeping the floor will not restore the race. It will just leave them for another slaughter or misery down the road.

“Rebuilding” means returning to sheep state again.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So what there gonna trade in there military for breeding stock? Most of the Civ population was murdered so rebuilding and keeping there military running at the same time really isn’t an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ye, people rebuilding after WWI were just dumb and pathetic, didn't they know there will be WWII? What's the point of effort?

Both times there were huge and world changing alterations for every country involved. Russian Empire became USSR and went through a bloody civil war. Germany was broken and put under sanctions. Prussia was removed as an entity after WW2. France got overhyped. And list goes on...

In terms of night elves its literally just going back to their ruined homes and waiting for then next massacre.

Remember when people thought Tyrande was going to nuke Orgrimmar using her Goddess powers? Honestly though this was predictable, since Blizzard literally said that the Darkshore warfront counted as "vengeance" for Tyrande LOL. We all laughed and meme'd about it but they were serious. They wrote Shadowlands with the idea that Tyrande got her revenge in Darkshore in mind.

Alleria and Turalyon are the only hope of the Alliance now.

I'm actually okay with this outcome... we still need the context of two cinematics that make this entire either slightly better or slightly worse.
    At least retribution is not thrown out entirely and she mentioned that people still want it.

If this is the last time we had some night warrior stuff it feels a bit wasted but, to be honest, it was not that great from the beginning and there was no way they would keep that going forever.

So let's see what will happen with the night elf spirits and what this renewal thing. The Night Elf now have a proper reason to hate on the Horde forever and I hope they keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    If Night Elves truly wanted to rebuild the society they once had it would have meant returning to the last shining symbol of that society, Suramar. Restoring Night Elves and Nightborne as one people, as the Kaldorei. Embracing the older ways that were preserved in that city, rather than clinging to the current "survival in hiding" mindest. They no longer need to fear the return of the Legion, the Old Gods, or the corruption that once destroyed them.
    You know that will never happen and it just does not fit night elfs to live in a city like that. If anything, they settle around a world tree again with a city that merges with the forest and the wildlife perfectly. The Night Born and the Night Elfs will never get together again.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    As a recap for those who haven't read the PTR spoilers: After accomplishing zilch, doing nothing against any Horde NPC outside of the bounds of the war vs Sylvanas or doing more than calling Anduin names (and not very rude names either) Tyrande jobs one last time to Sylvanas. Then she accepts love and peace, ridding herself of the terrible cosmic power that allowed her to have positions more moderate than ones she had in WC3 and gave her the ability to kill a guy she should've easily run over anyway:

As predictable as it is bad.
    And others said that night elf fans were worried about night warrior ending up as a big wet fart for nothing and “more exciting story was yet to come, just wait.”

Well, i waited.

I would be fine with Night Warrior Tyrande to continue existing if the Horde also had powerhouse characters instead of limp-dicked has-beens.
    Atleast now there's some level of equity?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

The gap between Ww1 and 2 was bigger then any gap they have had in wow and there was also a strong winner in Ww1 which let them neutralize the threat of war for Some years which we don’t have in wow as the horde lost next to nothing and could restart he war when ever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    And others said that night elf fans were worried about night warrior ending up as a big wet fart for nothing and “more exciting story was yet to come, just wait.”

Well, i waited.
    I did tell you that this exact course of events would happen and she wouldn't die and you didn't believe me. I on the other hand disbelieved you and was entirely wrong about the direction they were taking Sylvanas if we gauge the flags about finding her 'good half'. Having both been wrong and right we can now commisserate about how absolutely fucked the narrative is once again.

This is your daily reminder that non-Night Warrior Tyrande attacked and killed Horde and Alliance alike to a man in WC3, along with the Wardens who were in her way. She killed tons of undead with her starfall and could become semi-immune to all harm thanks to Elune's blessing. Meanwhile Night Warrior Tyrande talks shit but ultimately goes along with everything Anduin says and takes no action against the Horde and her power level extended to killing Nathanos - a (undead) ranger. Even War Crimes Tyrande at least tried to get all the Horde down for collective guilt an was even throwing Baine under the bus for it, while Night Warrior Tyrande does fuck all and tolerates Calia and Thrall telling her about love and peace. It's not just that Night Warrior Tyrande was the same, it's that she was a backslide from what she was doing before.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-05-12 at 05:38 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

There is a major problem with this.
    We imagine that we accept this ending of "no revenge without rebuilding". Although that is rather the equivalent of accepting being a cow in a slaughterhouse.

But let's assume that we do accept it .. ok .. what are 3 whole areas of Kaldorei going to be in the next expansion? Because there are 3 areas that have to be rebuilt. 3 of the 7 zones of an expansion only for the Kaldorei ... adding that the Kaldorei still do not want the Horde. Not to mention that it is about "Reconsturccion". And that is the prize we have to see them rebuilt and there is no room for anyone to come to destroy them.

Not only that I can't imagine they dedicate half the entire expansion to the Kaldorei other than that. For the rest of the players it will be heavy.

The option of revenge was much more "varata" and much more possible to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I did tell you that this exact course of events would happen and she wouldn't die and you didn't believe me. I on the other hand disbelieved you and was entirely wrong about the direction they were taking Sylvanas if we gauge the flags about finding her 'good half'. Having both been wrong and right we can now commisserate about how absolutely fucked the narrative is once again.

This is your daily reminder that non-Night Warrior Tyrande attacked and killed Horde and Alliance alike to a man in WC3, along with the Wardens who were in her way. She killed tons of undead with her starfall and could become semi-immune to all harm thanks to Elune's blessing. Meanwhile Night Warrior Tyrande talks shit but ultimately goes along with everything Anduin says and takes no action against the Horde and her power level extended to killing Nathanos - a (undead) ranger. Even War Crimes Tyrande at least tried to get all the Horde down for collective guilt an was even throwing Baine under the bus for it, while Night Warrior Tyrande does fuck all and tolerates Calia and Thrall telling her about love and peace. It's not just that Night Warrior Tyrande was the same, it's that she was a backslide from what she was doing before.
    Thats one of the reasons i will never go back to actually playing WoW. I cant put my money and time into a game that treats me like some weird battered spouse who always comes back to “house” even if before that she managed to escape for a while and serves tea and sandwiches.

So Tyrande became Avatar of Vengeance
    And people kept telling her to not be Avatar of Vengeance
    And in Shadowlands everyone says Avatar of Vengeance is bad
    And she gets her ass kicked
    And now she doesn't wanna be Avatar of Vengeance anymore.

Brilliant story.

Also, isn't that the most patronizing thing that ever existed? Her entire race was reduced to 1/10th of the population, their lands razed, capital burned. Whatever blessings Teldrassil provided (it provided some, right) are now gone. And everyone is just telling Tyrande to chill out, geez, let bygones be bygones.

Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    There is a major problem with this.
    We imagine that we accept this ending of "no revenge without rebuilding". Although that is rather the equivalent of accepting being a cow in a slaughterhouse.

But let's assume that we do accept it .. ok .. what are 3 whole areas of Kaldorei going to be in the next expansion? Because there are 3 areas that have to be rebuilt. 3 of the 7 zones of an expansion only for the Kaldorei ... adding that the Kaldorei still do not want the Horde. Not to mention that it is about "Reconsturccion". And that is the prize we have to see them rebuilt and there is no room for anyone to come to destroy them.

Not only that I can't imagine they dedicate half the entire expansion to the Kaldorei other than that. For the rest of the players it will be heavy.

The option of revenge was much more "varata" and much more possible to be done.
    Yes! You added very nicely to what i wanted to say. Thank you.

Because now we will never see that “rebuilding” while “vengeance” can be easily shown as an instanced content for Alliance or for both factions and dosent even require using several zones for that since it can be focused on Ashenvale easily.

While “rebuilding” is such a wide, bulky and vague term that you either have to make a whole patch or more about it or just never show it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    So Tyrande became Avatar of Vengeance
    And people kept telling her to not be Avatar of Vengeance
    And in Shadowlands everyone says Avatar of Vengeance is bad
    And she gets her ass kicked
    And now she doesn't wanna be Avatar of Vengeance anymore.

Brilliant story.

Also, isn't that the most patronizing thing that ever existed? Her entire race was reduced to 1/10th of the population, their lands razed, capital burned. Whatever blessings Teldrassil provided (it provided some, right) are now gone. And everyone is just telling Tyrande to chill out, geez, let bygones be bygones.
    Its just... mind boggling. I am not sure what that supposed to tell us. That trying to avenge your people is wrong and you should just accept a role of a cattle? Go back to pasture to fatten up a bit before the next slaughter?