Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    More like a Ceiling-Circus? I bet if this place existed it had to be created by some Hillbilly in Arkansas or something.

Probably owned by a collection of children of the creator whom if he was still alive today he would be worth 230-250 billion dollars making Bill Gates and Jeffy look poor!!

Shame if Jeffy kept all his shares he started out with in amazon he would be worth 400 billion today.

wait am i rambling....maybe....cookies...too much sugar....sorry
    I wish there was something we could do about the ceilington family. They have far too much money.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Amazon isn't a monopoly most companies in the US that need to be broken up are oligopolies.
    Here's the problem with breaking up oligopolies. People tend to over time gravitate back to the top companies in almost a herd type mentality.

What do you do if you break Walmart up and in 5 years one of the 5 companies is just run so much better and becomes the 'new Walmart' all over again?
    Hell it can be run like shit, it just can become the "in" place to shop. So you are back to square one splitting that top company up again?

We'll just end up with ATT all over again.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Just because a hashtag is trending on Twitter does not make it a factual statement. I'm surprised that needs to be said.

1. I've been all over and haven't seen a single business closed due to lack of workers. Not one. There aren't reports of widespread businesses closed due to lack of workers. There's no evidence even the first part of the thread title is true at all.

2. This is the funniest part, people haven't been given large enough handouts to never work again. Do people think the meager minimal covid handouts are enough for actual humans to never work again? Think about that, you're concluding that someone given a few thousand dollars a 1/2 year ago will never need to work again. Set for life lol. For most people that money was gone in weeks. Much less never work again, that's absolutely ludicrous to propose. So nope on the 2nd half too.

And no, a $15/hr McDonald's help wanted sign isn't evidence to support this nonsense either. As most folks are pretty aware, there are different costs of living in various places. In most 1M+ population large metro towns, the cost of living is higher. Rent, food, gas, etc. is significantly more expensive than in lower cost of living rural areas. So yes there are McDonald's hiring at $15/hr....in NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. In your town, probably $9/hr. Regardless, McDonald's everywhere are open WITH workers working, contrary to this nobody works jobs anymore fantasy.

If a business really can't get workers, it's because they are a crappy employer or the pay they are offering is insufficient for the local market. There are businesses I would never want to work for because I know they have high employee turnover, or because of stories I've heard from friends about the way they treat employees.
    Last edited by Biglog; 2021-05-13 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    2 dollars? That's not something i would expect in a rich and modern nation in this day, i mean 10 even feels low.
    Well, at least in the state I'm in, it is $4.40/hour plus tips or $8.80/hour without($7.25/hour for those businesses grossing less then $299,000/year). And that is considered better then half of the states out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I wish there was something we could do about the ceilington family. They have far too much money.
    well at least it appears the female members of the ceilington family is very charitable at least

no idea how they ended up with so much money given the death tax is so crazy painful to the rich and it must be cut cut cut!!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Here's the problem with breaking up oligopolies. People tend to over time gravitate back to the top companies in almost a herd type mentality.

What do you do if you break Walmart up and in 5 years one of the 5 companies is just run so much better and becomes the 'new Walmart' all over again?
    Hell it can be run like shit, it just can become the "in" place to shop. So you are back to square one splitting that top company up again?

We'll just end up with ATT all over again.
    The problem is not with breaking them up but the follow through we tend to lax regulations overtime and end up in the same situations. The breaking up of the companies just opens up competition and breaks barrier for entry. When you have oligopolies it's near impossible for anyone to grab market share that is of any significance.

There are also case where it is clear cut for example there's no reason why we can't break up facebook and instagram or the big banks..

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    actually they are the first company I've seen push back against amazon in a huge wage war in my state.

signs at the front door this afternoon 16.00 an hour starting front end work. 17.50 overnight stocking.

includes benefits, education reimbursement and flexible hours.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is not with breaking them up but the follow through we tend to lax regulations overtime and end up in the same situations. The breaking up of the companies just opens up competition and breaks barrier for entry. When you have oligopolies it's near impossible for anyone to grab market share that is of any significance.

There are also case where it is clear cut for example there's no reason why we can't break up facebook and instagram or the big banks..
    and yet Microsoft has managed to grab 20% market share vs AWS 31% in a short period.

and yet Amazon managed to grab huge market share from Walmart's massive retail grasp.

Facebook and Instagram stole market share away from the monsters at the time and are now the two monsters in the room. Though you still have google, wechat, whatsapp clocking in at over a billion users.

Poor myspace, AOL, CompuServe all had huge market share at their peaks.

Better of worrying about anti-competitive practices by these companies then wasting time on pushing monopoly issues with them.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

and yet Microsoft has managed to grab 20% market share vs AWS 31% in a short period.

and yet Amazon managed to grab huge market share from Walmart's massive retail grasp.

Facebook and Instagram stole market share away from the monsters at the time and are now the two monsters in the room. Though you still have google, wechat, whatsapp clocking in at over a billion users.

Poor myspace, AOL, CompuServe all had huge market share at their peaks.

Better of worrying about anti-competitive practices by these companies then wasting time on pushing monopoly issues with them.
    But those are not very good examples you are talking about huge companies with resources breaking into companies market share with similar huge resources. This is not the early days of the internet where there were less barriers of entry for companies like facebook. You are correct however we don't necessarily need to break everything some of them can be curtailed with regulation against their practices.

But those are not very good examples you are talking about huge companies with resources breaking into companies market share with similar huge resources. This is not the early days of the internet where there were less barriers of entry for companies like facebook. You are correct however we don't necessarily need to break everything some of them can be curtailed with regulation against their practices.
    Amazon was tiny and unprofitable for a very long time.
    they are the perfect example.

Still after all this time they are still a decade away from getting close to Walmart in retail. they will most likely catch up thanks to revenue outside of retail for which Walmart has no interest in branching out.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Rather narrow minded view... small businesses forced to close, meanwhile monolithic companies like Amazon grow furthermore.
    They also pay more than small businesses usually. The small businesses that turn into big businesses have great customer service and treat their workers well at the expense of revenue in the short term. A small business is not inherently more ethical just because they are small. Similarly, poor people are not more ethical than rich people simply because they are poor.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-05-13 at 11:02 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Great. If people don't want/need low paying jobs then that means society is happy and people are doing good without those jobs.

Of course we could increase the population or automate low paying jobs to alleviate this issue, which I support, but I think even with both of those two things we'll always run into some kind of labor shortage and there's no scenario where people become obsolete and can't create more value for organizations.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-05-14 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Rather narrow minded view... small businesses forced to close, meanwhile monolithic companies like Amazon grow furthermore.
    I was rather worried that the pandemic was going to destroy small businesses disproportionately but apparently quite the opposite has happened and they are being founded everywhere.

Not much to do with the topic but there it is.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Can’t believe it needs pointing out, but as a business, your fixed costs relative to your revenue tend to go down as you get bigger which is why on average they can afford to pay employees more. That’s why higher minimum wage tends to hurt smaller businesses more.

This isn’t a quality judgment on large vs small businesses, small businesses already get a pretty sweet tax deal, but it should be remembered when talking about those ‘scummy’ small businesses not paying employees more.
    If they can't afford to pay their workers, then they shouldn't be a business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s an exaggeration. The reality is $2.13 and if your tips don’t cover it you get $7.25 to be abused and harassed.
    It's your employer who has to pay to get you to $7.25. Few shitty weeks of tips, your boss doesn't want to make up the difference, you're fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I sense some sort of mockery coming up, as in you don't believe it is so i don't see the point in making that case as i won't change your mind on it.
    In case i am mistaken you can easily search and see how it resembles a monopoly due to the large market share it holds and how aggressive it has been and still is in keeping it.
    How it cuts smaller retailers out and how well amazon who controls a lot of the servers that other bigger online sellers need to rely on.. is a problem.

Or we end up in some sort of debate what a monopoly really is and if you were to go by actual legal terms it is not, but there's more in the world than just legal language. I am not a big fan of these big companies that have large holds on things with barely any competition being it Facebook, Amazon or Microsoft, anti-trust is going to be an issue.
    Not sure that a company that only controls about 50% of the market in the US and less than 10% worldwide is a monopoly...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Any employer unable to pay its workers a living wage is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.
    Any person who is disadvantaged so much that they can't possibly find a place in society without the government's helping hand is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.

Any person incapable of higher potential than bare minimum human capability is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.
    etc.

Goes both ways, and I'm a firm believer in proper negotiating dynamics of strong vs weak. No one owes you help or acknowledgment of your existence.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Goes both ways, and I'm a firm believer in proper negotiating dynamics of strong vs weak. No one owes you help or acknowledgment of your existence.
    You don't have to acknowledge someone's existence in order to not wish death on them, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You don't have to acknowledge someone's existence in order to not wish death on them, btw.
    Wishing death on the poor and impoverished on a public forum. That is a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it works... Oh I just received word that he was banned for wishing death on the poor and impoverished. Looks like his strategy didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    ebay would like a word with you. Along with the literal thousands of other places where you can order things online
    I just bought some new dumbbells not from Amazon.Got them directly from the company; however, there is a oligopoly problem where there are few competitors.

The poor boy that may lose business is fucking Walmart and Target now because Amazon has thoroughly crushed all other competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Worst of all are the bootlickers arguing against having their wages raised for fear of being sacked. That's some real psychological trauma/Stockholm shit.
    The American Dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.